PDA

View Full Version : "Turn undead!" "Attacking one of your fellow paladins?" (3.5 deity, PEACH)

enderlord99
2012-07-24, 03:28 PM
Gloog. (Lesser Diety; Lawful Good)

Followers: Strongly good-aligned undead, plus a growing (though still minuscule) minority of equally good living humanoids.

Dogma: Do not destroy constructs or non-evil undead, except in self defense. Do not kill living beings, even in self defense. Seek out and destroy evil undead. Be a productive member of society.

Teachings: Everyone is given one life. It is not to be taken from them before their time. Undead are "living" again, but this second life is a privilege, not a right. It must be used for the good of others, and never against those who are living the life they were originally born with.

Domains: Death, Good, Community, Protection.

What does everyone think?

Ziegander
2012-07-24, 03:44 PM
Interesting concept, but what's with the name? Reminds me of:

http://webpages.charter.net/superheroes/hgloopgleep.jpg

and

http://www.mltimelines.net/images/doop2.jpg

enderlord99
2012-07-24, 03:50 PM
Interesting concept, but what's with the name?

I couldn't think of a good name, so I put random letters together.:smallfrown:

If you can help come up with a better name for him, please do.

bobthe6th
2012-07-24, 03:52 PM
killing a living being to defend another living being should be kosure though...

enderlord99
2012-07-24, 03:54 PM
killing a living being to defend another living being should be kosure though...

Ever heard of "non-lethal damage?"

Steward
2012-07-24, 04:15 PM
I like the concept of a deity catering towards good-aligned undead. The notion of undead essentially coming back for what sounds like community service is really cool. Is there a rule on an undead who is tired of the Material Plane and wants to go to their afterlife? Are they allowed to commit "suicide" or are they actually obligated to stay on the Prime Material for a set amount of time?

I really recommend that you consider including the Repose Domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Reposedomain&alpha=) (mostly the same as the Death Domain but explicitly geared towards good-aligned casters) and the Deathless Domain (in Eberron, focusing around the Deathless, a new type of often good-aligned undead who are powered by positive energy). Those domains seem like they would really fit the concept.

Network
2012-07-24, 06:00 PM
Of course, the Repose domain would be a nice substitute to the Death domain, which has a few Evil spells (WotC needed to give it to a Good deity, so they made the Repose domain).

Otherwise, does this cult simply seeks and destroy all evil undead or does it let them a chance to repent themselves? Can the clerics of Gloog kill a lich at sight if he recognised it as evil to some extend?

enderlord99
2012-07-24, 06:11 PM
Otherwise, does this cult simply seeks and destroy all evil undead or does it let them a chance to repent themselves?

They usually give evil undead a chance to repent... but not much of one, and not always.

Can the clerics of Gloog kill a lich at sight if he recognised it as evil to some extend?

Yes. Yes, they absolutely can.

rottenvenetic
2012-07-24, 10:43 PM
This is a very cool idea, but I'm not sure about destroying a lich on sight just because it bleeps on the evildar.

Sure, liches are scary individuals, and most liches are evil and scary individuals, but you never know when you kill the wrong baddie and give something worse a free hand and/or access to the plane you're on... :smalleek:

enderlord99
2012-07-24, 11:00 PM
This is a very cool idea, but I'm not sure about destroying a lich on sight just because it bleeps on the evildar.

Sure, liches are scary individuals, and most liches are evil and scary individuals, but you never know when you kill the wrong baddie and give something worse a free hand and/or access to the plane you're on... :smalleek:

That's true, but if you're going to attack a lich, you're probably going to either:

A. lose

or

B. have researched enough beforehand to know what would happen.

Usually, clerics of Gloog would do the second, but either way, it won't unleash the powerful evil thingidoodle. And if it does, that's when the PCs come in.:smallamused:

rottenvenetic
2012-07-25, 01:00 AM
Probably :smallwink:

That aside, there's still the problem of destroying something just because it's powerful and registers as evil. A GM who likes their roleplaying or feels ornery might give characters a lot of grief for this.
Though it's probably for the best to leave that open as an option :smallamused:

radmelon
2012-07-25, 01:30 AM
I like this, good aligned undead are a favorite of mine, as it evokes the whole "not even in death shall I falter" feel.

erikun
2012-07-25, 11:23 PM
Dogma: Do not destroy constructs or non-evil undead, except in self defense. Do not kill living beings, even in self defense.
So if a living necromancer is sending a bunch of undead out to murder whole towns, attacking at the source rather than fighting the minions is a big no-no? Interesting.

I could see a minor cult of Gloog thinking it okay to just sit back, allow people to get callously murdered, and then grant the "gift" of undeath to the victims.

enderlord99
2012-07-25, 11:39 PM
So if a living necromancer is sending a bunch of undead out to murder whole towns, attacking at the source rather than fighting the minions is a big no-no? Interesting.

Sort of. They're allowed to go get the necromancer, knock him unconscious (with a sap or an unarmed strike, etc.), drag him to the main city (or anywhere else with a high-security prison), and hand him over to the authorities so when he wakes back up, it will be in that prison. In fact, most of them would do exactly that.

I could see a minor cult of Gloog thinking it okay to just sit back, allow people to get callously murdered, and then grant the "gift" of undeath to the victims.

That would basically be the opposite of what Gloog, that cult's supposed patron, wants. Therefore, they wouldn't be able to cast divine spells. Of course, they could be using arcane magic without fully realizing it...

...That's actually a great idea for a villain.:smallbiggrin: