PDA

View Full Version : And so it ended. (OOC)

Pages : [1] 2

Fable Wright
2012-07-24, 06:20 PM
IC Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251389)

{table=head] Character name | Class | Player
Emily Knowles (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=423822) | Psychic Rogue| RCGothic
Elias Goodfellow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420562)| Sorcerer| Cardea
Lora Dantilia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420043)| Binder | RaggedAngel
Vortex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=421419) | Totemist | Eldonauran
Papa Bonu (http://coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=14090) | Dread Necromancer| OMG Ponies[/table]

Sorry for the delay; my Kindle's copy/paste functions are not exactly good... anyways, here's the OOC. Check in, post your speech color, and so on. This will be the lounge, more or less, while I wait to get back to the states to post up a fully hashed out OP.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the first plot point you can expect to enjoy:
http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/6218/600571-nausicaa2.jpg

(The Om, not the guys fleeing from it. :smalltongue:)

RaggedAngel
2012-07-24, 08:30 PM
Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to this game, and to playing with you all. I think I'm going to have Lora speak in Navy, which should do a pretty good job of being dark while still popping out from the rest of the text. I can't wait to see how her mental powers work on giant monstrosities. :smallwink:

Cardea
2012-07-24, 08:44 PM
Howdy folks.

Elias will take Dark Red.

And, that's an Om?

I propose that I do science to it: How well does it burn?

OMG PONIES
2012-07-24, 08:47 PM
Huzzah! An OOC thread! Bonu will speak in Purple. Also, since he'll be speaking entirely in rhyme, feel free to ask in the OOC if you ever need the direct gist of what I'm saying.

Fable Wright
2012-07-24, 11:40 PM
Howdy folks.

Elias will take Dark Red.

And, that's an Om?

I propose that I do science to it: How well does it burn?

Well, for a sense of scale: One of those eyes is as tall as a man. In the movie the Om came from, it took the most powerful weapon known to man to actually kill adult Oms. In game terms, it's the Tarrasque+. What do you think? :smalltongue:

RCgothic
2012-07-25, 12:24 AM
I think a straight up fight might not be a great idea. We must use... Science!

Also, dibs on Royal Blue

RaggedAngel
2012-07-25, 07:08 AM
I think a straight up fight might not be a great idea. We must use... Science!

Also, dibs on Royal Blue

We're going to hit it with a nuclear weapon?

RCgothic
2012-07-25, 07:09 AM
Tippyverse must have some nuke equivalents just lying around here somewhere. :smallwink:

RaggedAngel
2012-07-25, 10:23 AM
Tippyverse must have some nuke equivalents just lying around here somewhere. :smallwink:

Talking about weapons reminded me; I still have about 4000gp to spend. I was waiting to see the party composition before spending the rest of it, and now that I have, I think we're rather balanced out. Does anyone else notice anything we're missing other than a primary healer/status remover?

OMG PONIES
2012-07-25, 07:56 PM
Well, for a sense of scale: One of those eyes is as tall as a man. In the movie the Om came from, it took the most powerful weapon known to man to actually kill adult Oms. In game terms, it's the Tarrasque+. What do you think? :smalltongue:

I think killing, animating, and riding one just climbed to the top of Bonu's bucket list.

Talking about weapons reminded me; I still have about 4000gp to spend. I was waiting to see the party composition before spending the rest of it, and now that I have, I think we're rather balanced out. Does anyone else notice anything we're missing other than a primary healer/status remover?

The party necromancer proposes that everyone take Tomb-Tainted Soul that I might provide you all unlimited healing for free :smallbiggrin:. However, I know that feats are in high demand.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-25, 08:18 PM
The party necromancer proposes that everyone take Tomb-Tainted Soul that I might provide you all unlimited healing for free :smallbiggrin:. However, I know that feats are in high demand.
Hm. I can get a Vestige Phylactery, I suppose; that way I can keep a healing vestige stored for the end of the day (or after a serious fight), healing us all up to full after all is said and done. We'll need to last the day, but we'll always go to sleep fully healed.

*heads off to books to work out the details*

Eldonauran
2012-07-25, 09:20 PM
I have two wands of lesser vigor (eternal) for some healing as needed. :smallwink: just need someone with a good UMD to use them.

Also, Vortex will speak in Plain Blue(as close to incarnum coloring as I can get).

RaggedAngel
2012-07-25, 09:26 PM
I have two wands of lesser vigor (eternal) for some healing as needed. :smallwink: just need someone with a good UMD to use them.

As with most things, there's a vestige for that; that said, hopefully our Psychic Rogue will have at least a rank or two in UMD (or, I suppose, UPD, but they're the same thing, really).

Eldonauran
2012-07-25, 09:48 PM
As with most things, there's a vestige for that; that said, hopefully our Psychic Rogue will have at least a rank or two in UMD (or, I suppose, UPD, but they're the same thing, really).

Well, I do have 5 ranks in UMD (total +6 modifier) but that might not always cut it. Makes sense for a mystically constructed creature that cant really heal himself would pack a few ways of taking care of that. :smallamused:

RCgothic
2012-07-26, 01:34 AM
UMD is a cc skill for me, but I have UPD mated at +14 and a fair amount of spare cash. Any suggestions?

Fable Wright
2012-07-26, 01:55 AM
UMD is a cc skill for me, but I have UPD mated at +14 and a fair amount of spare cash. Any suggestions?

UMD == UPD. You can replace UPD with UMD on your skill lists, and use UMD on any magic/psionic item. You don't need a different skill for Arcane or Divine magic, or any other random form of magic, so why have a completely seperate skill for UPD? It boggles the mind.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-26, 02:35 AM
UMD == UPD. You can replace UPD with UMD on your skill lists, and use UMD on any magic/psionic item. You don't need a different skill for Arcane or Divine magic, or any other random form of magic, so why have a completely seperate skill for UPD? It boggles the mind.

It's little things like this that make me love you, DMoD. We have the same kind of common sense.

RCgothic
2012-07-26, 02:37 AM
That makes me happy!:smallsmile:

Eldonauran
2012-07-26, 10:23 PM
That makes me happy!:smallsmile:

Same goes for me. :smallbiggrin:

So... Tactics? Vortex is sort of geared around sneaking up within charge range and pouncing on the enemy, striking with all his natural weapons (8 total, 9 if flurry of blows). Can pin most things of equal size or less in a grapple. No ranged abilities worth mentioning, but can get one with a soulmeld if required.

Question for DMoD: Improved Multiattack something I can pick up later? You mentioned Savage Species was a no-go book and since that feat is in the book, I'd thought I'd try appealing. :smallwink:

If not, no sweat.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-27, 06:40 AM
Righto, tactics.

Lora is the master of mental lock-downs; she can daze and stun in a few different ways, and she has mindsight and telepathy, which I a long way to prevent sneaking and deception. For crowds she has decent Summoning abilities, and she is extremely hard to hit, so she won't need much meatshielding.

RCgothic
2012-07-27, 06:56 AM
I've just realised Emily doesn't hold a candle to Lora's diplomacy skill, which is unexpected given her 10 ranks! Well that relieves a bit of pressure on my skill points, I can drop that a few notches and still be useful for 'aid other'.

Emily's primary role is sneak/scout. She has a very easy time of getting where she's not wanted. She also has a powerful ranged sneak attack - this would work well with stunning from Lora, and can even summon up some energy rays if necessary. Additionally, she's pretty hard to hit as well. In fact everyone in the party except for Elias is AC 22+.

Her razor sharp senses mean she'll probably be on point more often than not.

Fable Wright
2012-07-27, 07:42 AM
Same goes for me. :smallbiggrin:

So... Tactics? Vortex is sort of geared around sneaking up within charge range and pouncing on the enemy, striking with all his natural weapons (8 total, 9 if flurry of blows). Can pin most things of equal size or less in a grapple. No ranged abilities worth mentioning, but can get one with a soulmeld if required.

Question for DMoD: Improved Multiattack something I can pick up later? You mentioned Savage Species was a no-go book and since that feat is in the book, I'd thought I'd try appealing. :smallwink:

If not, no sweat.

I'll decide when we get to that point. I need to see your character in combat before judging whether or not it's acceptable for this game.

OMG PONIES
2012-07-27, 08:07 AM
So... Tactics?

Bonu's got a few different things in his bag:

Crowd Control: Bonu's advanced learning spells were specifically selected to be no save/no SR spells that deal damage so he can tack on Fell Drain for some at-will negative levels. Besides that, the Dread Necro list has some goodies (like Evard's Black Tentacles).
Fear: Bonu's got a +32 to Intimidate, can make foes cower via Imperious Command, can demoralize as a move action, and can do it to multiple foes thanks to Never Outnumbered. Coupled with his fear aura, he can get folks running away from him in one round...hopefully running into his Fell Drain Kelgore's Grave Mist or somesuch.
Defenses: decent AC, DR 6, light fortification, and immunity to mind-affecting spells/effects via my familiar mean that Bonu can wade into the thick of things or avoid some pretty nasty spells.
Undead, undead, and more undead: Whether he's summoning, creating, turning, or commanding them, one of the primary creature types immune to Bonu's negative levels and fear schticks is still pretty much his puppy dog.

As far as fighting goes, I'll probably have a few buffs running if I sense combat is on the way. I'll open with one of my area effects (probably fell draining), close to melee while scaring the pants off those around me, and then, then go to town with touch spells and the like.

Out of combat, I may be implanting key assets with necrotic cysts so that I can later scry on them as a second-level spell or dominate them as a fourth-level spell. I predict that this will see minimal use, but may come in handy for any recurring NPCs or goons we happen to capture alive. Also, Bonu's decent ranks in Knowledge: Arcana and Religion coupled with his maxed ranks in Spellcraft mean he might be helpful in identifying some of the more esoteric stuff we're likely to see.

Fable Wright
2012-07-27, 08:25 AM
Fear: Bonu's got a +32 to Intimidate, can make foes cower via Imperious Command, can demoralize as a move action, and can do it to multiple foes thanks to Never Outnumbered. Coupled with his fear aura, he can get folks running away from him in one round...hopefully running into his Fell Drain Kelgore's Grave Mist or somesuch.

...Where did the +11 modifier come from? Also, how does Kelgore's Grave Mist deal damage? :smallconfused:

Cardea
2012-07-27, 08:37 AM
Tactics:

Most of my stuff is simple blasting or social interaction. Draconic Persuasion gives me a bonus to my next Bluff, Intimidate, or Perform check equal to 1.5 the level of the spell. Voice of the Dragon gives a +10 bonus to my Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. Then there's Detect Thoughts and Charm Person.
In terms of blasting, most of my damage spells have some sort of utility effect. Dazing, Auto-hitting, Triple-Save-Threat, Combat Maneuver Weapon, Fly + Lightning and Tactical Teleportation.
Magic of the Dragonheart is a utility spell that improves my Draconic Feats for a short duration. Its second level, but has the side effect of being treated as a spell equal to half my caster level for Draconic Feats; which makes it count as a 5th level spell for Draconic Vigor, Draconic Persuasion, Draconic Heritage and Pyroclastic Dragon Lineage.
Kolya's Lash and Ferocity of Sanguine Rage make me semi-capable in melee.
The biggest thing about me casting spells is that my health is going to be going wild. I can go into a Blood Rage, which does 5 damage to me each round it is active, but gives me +5 to Weapon and Spell damage rolls; if you're within thirty feet of me, you can get a +5 to Weapon damage rolls as well. Because of Draconic Vigor though, I can heal myself; not enough to out-do the damage, but enough to keep it even.
Beyond that its just standard Sorcerer stuff. Heighten, Empower, Arcane Fusion. I do have a floating metamagic feat though, that I've yet to decide what it'll be for the first day.

Any questions?

Fable Wright
2012-07-27, 08:50 AM
Small note: we are using Rich's Diplomacy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9606632&postcount=2) fix. No converting NPCs to be your Fanatic minions, please. And yes, the skill will remain important.

OMG PONIES
2012-07-27, 12:44 PM
...Where did the +11 modifier come from?

The +11 bonus to Intimidate is broken down as follows:
+5 enhancement bonus from Fearsome Armor (the one printed in Drow of the Underdark, not the earlier one from the Magic Item Compendium)
+3 competence bonus from Circlet of Persuasion
+2 untyped bonus from Bluff synergy
+1 untyped bonus from Abrasive trait

This has been added to the "Other Notes" section of Bonu's sheet for ease of reference.

Also, how does Kelgore's Grave Mist deal damage? :smallconfused:

From the description of Kelgore's Grave Mist:

This spell creates a thin mist within the spell's area. The mist is too thin to have any effect on vision, but the necromantic energy infused within it hampers the living. All living creatures within the mist become fatigued and take 1d6 points of cold damage per round. If the spell fails to overcome a creature's spell resistance, the subject takes the cold damage but ignores the fatigue.

Emphasis added.

Fable Wright
2012-07-31, 04:08 AM
Sorry for the delay with the IC post. I just got back from Japan and after saying hello to friends/family and so on, I wound up sleeping for 19 hours. I should have the IC back up sometime later today. If it isn't up by tomorrow, please send me a reminder PM about it.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-31, 06:09 AM
Sorry for the delay with the IC post. I just got back from Japan and after saying hello to friends/family and so on, I wound up sleeping for 19 hours. I should have the IC back up sometime later today. If it isn't up by tomorrow, please send me a reminder PM about it.

Sounds fine by me; I know how exhausting international travel can be, so I'm glad that you managed to get a hearty chunk of sleep. :smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2012-07-31, 06:46 AM

Sounds one by me; I know how exhausting international travel can be, so I'm glad that you managed to get a hearty chunk of sleep. :smallsmile:

Sounds...two?...by me :smalltongue:.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-31, 06:56 AM
Sounds...two?...by me :smalltongue:.

Ugh. Posting from a phone. I blame autocorrect.

Fable Wright
2012-07-31, 07:13 AM
The weird thing is that I slept for most of the trip... at least 13 hours on the planes. I have no idea how that happened.

Also, I agree that mobile device autocorrect is one of the worst things in the world. :smallyuk:

RaggedAngel
2012-07-31, 07:30 AM
The weird thing is that I slept for most of the trip... at least 13 hours on the planes. I have no idea how that happened.

Your biological clock is a really finicky thing; flying halfway around the planet is something that you're just not prepared for, evolutionarily speaking. Your body needs time to figure out how to deal with that, and sleep is one of the best ways to acclimate to things.

OMG PONIES
2012-07-31, 07:53 AM
Your biological clock is a really finicky thing; flying halfway around the planet is something that you're just not prepared for, evolutionarily speaking. Your body needs time to figure out how to deal with that, and sleep is one of the best ways to acclimate to things.

So that's why I'd always fall asleep in class--it was all the learning I was doing. :smallbiggrin:

Fable Wright
2012-08-01, 02:26 AM
Well, the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251389) is up. Sorry about the length- I promise I'll make the plot hook post longer. :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-01, 07:27 AM
Well, the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251389) is up. Sorry about the length- I promise I'll make the plot hook post longer. :smalltongue:

It's already wonderful; you've really captured what makes a Tippyverse world. I'm looking forward to this, DMoD.

RCgothic
2012-08-01, 07:29 AM
I've never played in a tippyverse before, and I'm loving the feel thus far! :smallsmile:

Don't know what I'm going to say for Emkay's actions though, besides 'Ok, I get in the chute.' :smallbiggrin:

Fable Wright
2012-08-01, 07:55 AM
I've never played in a tippyverse before, and I'm loving the feel thus far! :smallsmile:

Don't know what I'm going to say for Emkay's actions though, besides 'Ok, I get in the chute.' :smallbiggrin:

Well, there's what happens after you get in the chute (Corresponding with people, checking the meeting place out ahead of time, browsing magic item collections, the routine your character would have, and so on), reflections on this new chance and trust/mistrust of the letter, and potentially character exposition/hinting at exposition through backstory in conjunction with any of the above... I mean, you're in a high tech futuristic city after days/weeks/months in the uncivilized Wilds; what would be the first thing your character does when they get back? :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-01, 11:18 AM
Binding Check for Dantalion, DC 25: [roll0]
Binding Check for Zceryll, DC 25: [roll1]

I figured that I'd roll these before my IC post, since the results matter and there's a chance for failure. I'll also note that she cannot make a poor bond with Dantalion, due to being a Scion of Dantalion; Zceryll, however, is another story entirely.

EDIT- Ouch. Today should be interesting, it seems.

The results of her bad pact with Zceryll:

Sign: Your eyes appear as circular mirrors. In your peripheral vision, all other living creatures appear twisted, covered in tentacles, extra eyes, and vestigial organs.

Influence: Never admit that you need help or that you are weaker than anyone else. Treat those that are weaker than you with scorn and contempt, especially young women and spontaneous spellcasters.

Cardea
2012-08-01, 11:38 AM
Influence: Never admit that you need help or that you are weaker than anyone else. Treat those that are weaker than you with scorn and contempt, especially young women and spontaneous spellcasters.

Hahahahahah wait.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-01, 11:42 AM
Hahahahahah wait.

Don't worry, I think you'll like how she handles this. If you're a young woman, she doesn't have much choice but dislike you (though she is able to separate the vestige's feelings from herself, at least internally). If you're a spellcaster? Well, she has no idea if you're spontaneous or not, and as long as you don't go talking about the majesty of your sorcerous power and how foolish wizards are you should be fine. :smallwink:

RCgothic
2012-08-01, 11:59 AM
Influence:[/B] Never admit that you need help or that you are weaker than anyone else. Treat those that are weaker than you with scorn and contempt, especially young women and spontaneous spellcasters.

Lol! Nice result! If you count manifesters you get Emkay twice!

Fable Wright
2012-08-02, 03:18 PM
...You all are just going to leave Bonu hanging there?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-02, 03:36 PM
...You all are just going to leave Bonu hanging there?

Say what now?

Fable Wright
2012-08-02, 03:44 PM
Say what now?
For some reason, I thought that a decaying midget in a creepy mask that you might or might not know running up to you demanding that you read him this letter he got and started waving around would be a good place to start interacting. Or, quite possibly, I was wrong and will have the next IC post up tomorrow.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-02, 03:56 PM
For some reason, I thought that a decaying midget in a creepy mask that you might or might not know running up to you demanding that you read him this letter he got and started waving around would be a good place to start interacting. Or, quite possibly, I was wrong and will have the next IC post up tomorrow.

Aaaaand I completely failed to subscribe to the thread. Whoops. I'll go pick up the spare and get the ball rolling with a less essay-length post; sometimes bite-size is better, I suppose, though I rather liked our introductions.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-02, 04:42 PM
Aaaaand I completely failed to subscribe to the thread. Whoops. I'll go pick up the spare and get the ball rolling with a less essay-length post; sometimes bite-size is better, I suppose, though I rather liked our introductions.

Indeed, they were a good series of vignettes. I had a lot of fun writing Bonu's.

Eldonauran
2012-08-02, 05:52 PM
:smallsigh: I too, forgot to subscribe.

Indeed, they were a good series of vignettes. I had a lot of fun writing Bonu's.

I especially liked reading Bonu's intro. I think my character is somewhat enamored with his personality.

Cardea
2012-08-02, 07:50 PM
:smallsigh: I too, forgot to subscribe.

I especially liked reading Bonu's intro. I think my character is somewhat enamored with his personality.

Honestly, I wanna make him our mascot.

Eldonauran
2012-08-02, 08:02 PM
Honestly, I wanna make him our mascot.

I second this motion. :smallamused:

OMG PONIES
2012-08-02, 08:52 PM
Awesome--I've played the party face before, but never the party mascot! :smallbiggrin: You're all cool with vouching for your mascot when he tries to reanimate an entire graveyard in front of a town full of clerics, right?

Cardea
2012-08-02, 09:24 PM
Awesome--I've played the party face before, but never the party mascot! :smallbiggrin: You're all cool with vouching for your mascot when he tries to reanimate an entire graveyard in front of a town full of clerics, right?

Do you still require Onyx gems to animate dead?

Eldonauran
2012-08-02, 10:25 PM

Vortex has a somewhat 'gray' view on the whole concept of social 'niceities' and limited on the morality scale. He's got your back, just like an extremely loyal animal. He's nice because it gets him somewhere and prevents a lot of unnecessary problems.

RCgothic
2012-08-03, 01:15 AM
I suppose Emily's going to have to get used to some occasional necromancy, huh? She'll certainly object at first, she finds them distasteful. She can probably get over any moral hangups, but they definitely give her a sense of squick.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-03, 06:32 AM
Do you still require Onyx gems to animate dead?

Yes, but I brought along 2000 gp worth...at least it's a start.

Cardea
2012-08-03, 08:46 AM
Yes, but I brought along 2000 gp worth...at least it's a start.

Show of hands, who took Sleight of Hand?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 10:22 AM
Show of hands, who took Sleight of Hand?
I'm telepathic, have Mindsight, and can Read Thoughts. Don't get any funny ideas.

EDIT- Actually, I suppose I should go ahead and ask now; who here is immune to Mind Affecting abilities or having their thoughts read? If not, Lora's going to eventually be reading your mind, and telepathically communicating with you (once she knows you a bit better, of course). Just a fair warning there.

Fable Wright
2012-08-03, 10:24 AM
I'm telepathic, have Mindsight, and can Read Thoughts. Don't get any funny ideas.

Heh heh heh... :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 10:26 AM
Heh heh heh... :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

The only thing I'll need from you, other than usual DM stuffs, is the Int and type of the people/things we encounter, or if they have Mind Blank up or not. It hopefully won't be too bothersome, and knowing something's intelligence and type can be rather useful during discussions and delegations (and when killing them).

Fable Wright
2012-08-03, 10:38 AM
The only thing I'll need from you, other than usual DM stuffs, is the Int and type of the people/things we encounter, or if they have Mind Blank up or not. It hopefully won't be too bothersome, and knowing something's intelligence and type can be rather useful during discussions and delegations (and when killing them).

No, I already knew that. I was just silently laughing and the funny idea that that post inspired. You'll know it when you see it... or not.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 10:38 AM
No, I already knew that. I was just silently laughing and the funny idea that that post inspired. You'll know it when you see it... or not.

Well, time to not worry at all.

worries constantly

OMG PONIES
2012-08-03, 12:03 PM
EDIT- Actually, I suppose I should go ahead and ask now; who here is immune to Mind Affecting abilities or having their thoughts read? If not, Lora's going to eventually be reading your mind, and telepathically communicating with you (once she knows you a bit better, of course). Just a fair warning there.

Bonu's Ghostly Visage familiar grants him immunity to mind-affecting abilities....which is probably a good thing for any poor unfortunate soul that would plumb the depths of his mind.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-03, 12:07 PM
Bonu's Ghostly Visage familiar grants him immunity to mind-affecting abilities....which is probably a good thing for any poor unfortunate soul that would plumb the depths of his mind.

I did note that bit; and at level 11, you're likely going to be the only one of us with Mind Blank. Bonu will be excluded from any mental communication or mind reading; which may be inconvenient, at times, but that's the trade off for better protection, much like how Spell Resistance can be inconvenient at times.

Eldonauran
2012-08-03, 12:30 PM
Bah, Vortex has no fear of mind-reading. Your voice can join the clamorous drone of the thousands of magical beasts already roaring in the background of his psyche. :smallwink:

OMG PONIES
2012-08-03, 01:26 PM
Bonu will be excluded from any mental communication or mind reading; which may be inconvenient, at times...

It's also half the fun. "What's going on?!" is pretty much his personal motto.

Eldonauran
2012-08-06, 01:16 AM
Aaaaannnnnddd, we're off! :smallamused:

OMG PONIES
2012-08-07, 08:59 PM
Stealthy Dagger of Danging Lights and Occasional Explosions

Not only does this sound like an item in Munchkin (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/), but it's next on Bonu's list of purchases.

Eldonauran
2012-08-07, 09:08 PM
Not only does this sound like an item in Munchkin (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/), but it's next on Bonu's list of purchases.

:smallamused:

I can tell we are going to get along famously.

I own a copy of Munchkin: Call of Cthulhu.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-07, 09:32 PM
:smallamused:

I can tell we are going to get along famously.

I own a copy of Munchkin: Call of Cthulhu.

How is that? I've only played the more typical expansions--Need for Steed, whichever one had Dungeon tiles, and the like. Games of Munchkin get nasty for me--I have lost friends and made girls cry. I only wish I was kidding.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 10:57 AM
Admittedly, this is how I keep seeing DMoD's latest IC post:

WallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotext WallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbig walloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwal lotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwal loftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwallofteWall otextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWall otextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwall oftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallote xtwalloftextbigwalloftextWalloWallotextwallotextwa lloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextW allotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextW allotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigw alloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwall otextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwall oftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWal lotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloft extbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallot extwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallot extwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwallof textWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotext walloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftex tWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotex tWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbi gwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwa llotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwa lloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextW allotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwallo ftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWall otextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWall otextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwall oftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallote xtwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloft extWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallot extWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftext bigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotext wallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotext walloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftex tWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwal loftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWa llotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWa llotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwa lloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallo textwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwallo ftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWall otextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwallofte xtbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallote xtwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallote xtwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloft extWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextw alloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftext WallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotext WallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbig walloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwal lotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwal loftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbiWallotextwall otextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwall oftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWal lotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloft extbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallot extwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallot extwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwallof textWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotext walloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftex tWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotex tWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbi gwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwa llotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwa lloftextllotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWal lotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloft extbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallot extwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallot extwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwallof textWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotext walloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftex tWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotex tWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbi gwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwa llotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwa lloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextW allotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwallo ftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWall otextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWall otextwalloftexttextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwal lotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwal loftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWa llotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwallof textbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallo textwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallo textwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwallo ftextWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotex twalloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwallofte xtxtWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotext walloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftex tWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotex tWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbi gwalloftextWWallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloft extWallotextWallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextw alloftextbigwalloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftext WallotextwallotextwalloftextbigwalloftextWallotext WallotextwalloftextWallotextwallotextwalloftextbig walloftextWallotextWallotextwalloftext

Fable Wright
2012-08-08, 10:59 AM
...I have problems with the enter key, I know. I just don't know when to use it...

Cardea
2012-08-08, 11:45 AM
...I have problems with the enter key, I know. I just don't know when to use it...

Whenever you change tangents.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 12:18 PM
As you make your way to the city at large, the sights and sounds of it begin to engulf you. It starts with the small stuff- the discount stores selling magic items of questionable properties (Stealthy Dagger of Danging Lights and Occasional Explosions- 50 75 90% off!) and second-hand, occasionally damaged magic items (No, no, this Prestidigitizer is fine! No moods, no hassle, no sass! *Notices the word 'loser' being shaved into his hair*) and other random miscellany.

As you approach the central hub of the city, the shops grow more and more intricate- shops filled with Permanent and Programmed Images of various levels of artistry, illusionary wonderlands filled with all the joys one can imagine, illusions of idyllic scenes of the wild and Celestia, Paradise Birds singing marvellous tunes from perfectly curved branches, occasionally flying off into the other marvelous features, and frightening depictions of the kinds of monsters you knew far too well in the wilds, and a few scenes so strange you couldn't really understand, even while staring at the scene (probably inspired by Far-Realms gazing, an interesting, if rather expensive, pastime), some Academies, often lead by headmasters of Wee Jas or Boccob's faith, classes in session even at this time of the morning.

Just a few blocks out from the entrance to the Hub, you can see the chipped markings in stone blocks denoting portals, probably to private residences rather than extravagant stores for something outside of the Hub, though you by no means understand how to activate them. And then you enter the Hub of the city, the giant natural cavern around which the city was born, miles tall and wide, with stores filling each available surface, and quite a few ignoring gravity altogether, either operating from the ceiling in Reversed Gravitational zones, floating in midair, or occasionally both. Carts roll across the sky, with mechants hawking their wares from the center of the mobile platforms, teleporting over to any interested customer to conduct business. From here, you can see all forms of stores- gyms, for those who wish to have the fighting experience of an adventurer without the risks and adventures, to fine item artificers, to stores selling the services of outsiders and elementals, most likely against their wills. And, floating in the air, or outside of some stores, you see floating lights in ghostly shapes, indicating where an extradimensional store might be kept, secure from the predations of the common (and most uncommon) thieves.

You file down to a Redirectory hub, your minds scanned by the intelligent machines for your destinations, before being promptly teleported to the next Redirectory. Except for poor Papa Bonu, walking unsteadily behind everyone else; the machine, failing to recognize him, didn't send him off, and he went crashing into the stall behind the teleportation tiles. The rest of you wait bemusedly while poor Bonu stumbles across the unfamiliar ground, until he finally wanders onto a Flight trap and stumbles upwards into the sky, raining rotting flesh down onto the rather unhappy patrons down below, until he finally wobbles his way towards the redirectory with everyone else, as the flight spell times out and he crashes unceremoniously to the platform. Bemusedly, you decide to take flight instead of the more convenient teleporation venues to help keep Bonu from running into another unfortunate Citizen or cabbage stall. (You aren't sure why there's a cabbage stall in the city; people have the food they need already. Nevertheless, the store owner's cry of "Not my Cabbages!" clearly reached your ears as Bonu accidentally upturned the poor man's produce.) I love you for this, by the way.

After an hour of flying and having to ask for directions many, many times (Who needs to know how the city's laid out? Just go to a Hub and know where you want to go!), you finally get to the spoke where your destination was supposed to be. It's on an upper floor flat, one of the nicer properties in the city. And yet... all there is is a small teleportation tile, with certainly no more than a first level spell's worth of teleportation within it, to go on. You shrug, and step on the tile, and feel yourself go on a short hop through the Astral- until you feel a yanking sensation, and you feel a force trying to fling your body in an entirely different direction.

Everyone, roll a will save.

Paragraphs go like that, typically. Season to taste.

Source: Lots of AP English, a perfect mark on my SAT's and SAT2's.

Eldonauran
2012-08-08, 01:24 PM
Paragraphs go like that, typically. Season to taste.

Source: Lots of AP English, a perfect mark on my SAT's and SAT2's.

Yes, quite right. Except, I never much liked English courses and the rubbish literature they require you to read, but that never stopped me from getting high marks in every class.

How is that? I've only played the more typical expansions--Need for Steed, whichever one had Dungeon tiles, and the like. Games of Munchkin get nasty for me--I have lost friends and made girls cry. I only wish I was kidding.

:smallconfused: Sounds like those 'friends' and 'girls' either didn't understand the game or were not mentally prepared for the curbstopping they received.

Munchkin is a dirty, knockdown and keep kicking fight. :smallbiggrin:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 01:33 PM
:smallconfused: Sounds like those 'friends' and 'girls' either didn't understand the game or were not mentally prepared for the curbstopping they received.

I love playing Munchkin with my friends/family, but constant victory gets boring. I've found it's more fun to choose who you want to win at the beginning of the game, and then making sure that they do. If that gets dull, get them to level 9, and then systematically crush them. It's even more fun than chess.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-08, 02:09 PM

I've
found
that
too
often
is
better
than
not
enough.

But seriously, RaggedAngel's paragraphs look good. I would have had the AP English under my belt as well, but my mommy wouldn't let me take it since I wasn't in AP Math and she wanted me to be "well-rounded" :smallannoyed:. I followed part of her advice, started consuming copious amounts of cheesesteaks, and became as rounded as I could :smallbiggrin:.

*blink blink*...Father?

I love playing Munchkin with my friends/family, but constant victory gets boring. I've found it's more fun to choose who you want to win at the beginning of the game, and then making sure that they do. If that gets dull, get them to level 9, and then systematically crush them.

*blink blink*...Mommy? Seriously, this party needs to find a way to play Munchkin together over the Intarwebs (though we'd then need to cover up the resultant catastrophe that's sure to follow).

It's even more fun than chess.

Since my brain is about as strategic as a puppy's, the list of things that are "more fun then chess" is quite long for me.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 02:28 PM
Since my brain is about as strategic as a puppy's, the list of things that are "more fun then chess" is quite long for me.

That's because chess is a boring, oversimplified, over-analyzed excuse for a strategy game. For all that, it's one of the few ways to speak without words, if you get my meaning. To play chess with someone that understands what they are doing is to dance with them, is to learn their minds and their feelings. I do not play chess for chess; I play chess to understand the other players. I seek a beautiful game, but the game itself is not especially beautiful.

That's what D&D is for.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-08, 02:30 PM
That's because chess is a boring, oversimplified, over-analyzed excuse for a strategy game. For all that, it's one of the few ways to speak without words, if you get my meaning. To play chess with someone that understands what they are doing is to dance with them, is to learn their minds and their feelings. I do not play chess for chess; I play chess to understand the other players. I seek a beautiful game, but the game itself is not especially beautiful.

That's what D&D is for.

Damn it all, child, just write a book already :smalltongue:.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 02:33 PM
Damn it all, child, just write a book already :smalltongue:.

My words are not my own, but threads from other places, woven together to imitate brilliance. I read, and I write in the fashion of what I have read; does that make me a good writer? I say it makes me a good imitator, a good actor; and an actor is far removed from a storyteller.

:smallwink:

Eldonauran
2012-08-08, 04:13 PM
My words are not my own, but threads from other places, woven together to imitate brilliance. I read, and I write in the fashion of what I have read; does that make me a good writer? I say it makes me a good imitator, a good actor; and an actor is far removed from a storyteller.

A bright thread pulled from a worn quilt and dyed anew with a brilliant color, when woven into a new pattern, makes a wondrous new tapestry.

Art and true skill lies in the completed product, and even in the methods, rather than the tools and materials used in its creation. New ideas are born from the old when seen through a different lens of understanding. :smallsmile:

I'm of the mind that no ideas are original and all stem from something seen through a mirror darkly. But that's my philosophy.

*blink blink*...Father?

:smallamused: Nay, we are but comrades in spirit.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-08, 08:30 PM
A bright thread pulled from a worn quilt and dyed anew with a brilliant color, when woven into a new pattern, makes a wondrous new tapestry.

Art and true skill lies in the completed product, and even in the methods, rather than the tools and materials used in its creation. New ideas are born from the old when seen through a different lens of understanding. :smallsmile:

I'm of the mind that no ideas are original and all stem from something seen through a mirror darkly. But that's my philosophy.

Have I mentioned lately how much I like this group?

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 09:20 PM
Have I mentioned lately how much I like this group?

I was thinking just the same thing, my good sir. It's almost too good to be true.

...dammit. You're all figments of my imagination, aren't you? I bet my computer isn't even on right now. *shakes fist at computer screen in impotent rage*

OMG PONIES
2012-08-08, 09:50 PM
I was thinking just the same thing, my good sir. It's almost too good to be true.

...dammit. You're all figments of my imagination, aren't you? I bet my computer isn't even on right now. *shakes fist at computer screen in impotent rage*

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Mr. Anderson. Just take your blue pill and get back to the game.

Cardea
2012-08-08, 09:51 PM

I'm the voice that tells you to burn things.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-08, 11:52 PM
I'm the voice that tells you to burn things.

And that makes you the most special voice of them all.

I'm nothing without my fire. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I)

RCgothic
2012-08-09, 05:18 AM
Emily's WILL save: [roll0]

Edit: I really hope that wasn't a DC15 check...

Eldonauran
2012-08-11, 12:27 PM
:smallconfused: The silence... It burns.

EDIT: I find myself eager and most powerfully drawn to participate in this story, even to the point of checking the thread multiple times per day. I'm not sure, but it must be the company :smallwink:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-11, 03:58 PM
:smallconfused: The silence... It burns.

EDIT: I find myself eager and most powerfully drawn to participate in this story, even to the point of checking the thread multiple times per day. I'm not sure, but it must be the company :smallwink:

Blarg. I promise that I'll get it up soon (nudge nudge wink wink), but I've had a long few days dressed up like a pirate, fighting with swords for fun and profit. I'm moving back in to college tomorrow, too; but after that, things will quiet down.

Cardea
2012-08-19, 09:14 PM
Man, sorry about that everyone. Audition season, and my life got complicated.

Will Save: [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2012-08-19, 09:22 PM

Bro, I know that feel so very much. Theater is a lifesink in so many ways, though I'll always love it.

Cardea
2012-08-19, 09:31 PM
Bro, I know that feel so very much. Theater is a lifesink in so many ways, though I'll always love it.

Film auditions, actually. :smallsmile:

RaggedAngel
2012-08-19, 09:35 PM
Film auditions, actually. :smallsmile:

Seriously? That's awesome. Anything good come out of it? You can't leave that hook lying without telling me more. :smallsmile:

Cardea
2012-08-19, 10:03 PM
Seriously? That's awesome. Anything good come out of it? You can't leave that hook lying without telling me more. :smallsmile:

Sorta? I'm registered with a couple different companies for Extra work.

And later this week I have some auditions for some Indie and Student films.

RaggedAngel
2012-08-19, 10:11 PM
Sorta? I'm registered with a couple different companies for Extra work.

And later this week I have some auditions for some Indie and Student films.

There's nothing wrong with being an Extra, and it can be a good way to make excellent connections. And good luck with the Indie and Student films; you never know when you're going to end up at Sundance.

Cardea
2012-08-19, 10:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with being an Extra, and it can be a good way to make excellent connections. And good luck with the Indie and Student films; you never know when you're going to end up at Sundance.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. There's nothing bad with being an Extra.

It just took way too long to actually register with the groups I did register with.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-20, 06:21 AM
That's awesome, Cardea. On an unrelated note, has anyone heard from our DM?

Fable Wright
2012-08-20, 06:40 AM
Having recently PMed Cardea, I would say that someone probably has. I'll see if I can get an IC post up today or tomorrow, based on whether or not Cardea wants to write up an IC response.

Eldonauran
2012-08-20, 06:46 PM

:smallbiggrin: Hey, Im ecstatic you are still with us! I was just about to pop in over here and lament the fun we are missing! Instead, I get to congratulate you!

Eldonauran
2012-10-08, 06:25 PM
*pokes the thread with a stick*

Urm.

*waits to see if it twitches*

Anyone alive?

OMG PONIES
2012-10-08, 07:13 PM
I'm still here, but didn't know if anyone else was and thus hadn't posted IC.

RaggedAngel
2012-10-08, 07:27 PM
I'm still here, but didn't know if anyone else was and thus hadn't posted IC.

I'm always here forever.

Fable Wright
2012-10-08, 07:50 PM
All right. I kinda let this die out, for several reasons. One is that I dug myself into a bit of a hole plot-wise, and I wasn't sufficiently satisfied with the ways I was thinking of using to dig myself out of them (I don't like using fiat-based powers). And then school started up again, and then I lost a bit of time, and this fell by the wayside.

That said, if you're still interested in this, I will make a new IC post before Friday, and we can keep this going. I still have my plans for the setting saved, and I'd still like to explore them.

OMG PONIES
2012-10-08, 09:49 PM
I'm definitely interested in continuing this.

RaggedAngel
2012-10-08, 11:06 PM
All right. I kinda let this die out, for several reasons. One is that I dug myself into a bit of a hole plot-wise, and I wasn't sufficiently satisfied with the ways I was thinking of using to dig myself out of them (I don't like using fiat-based powers). And then school started up again, and then I lost a bit of time, and this fell by the wayside.

That said, if you're still interested in this, I will make a new IC post before Friday, and we can keep this going. I still have my plans for the setting saved, and I'd still like to explore them.

Let's do it. Crazy-Binder is something I've wanted to play for quite a while.

That said, here is my super minor DM advice: fiat proactively, not reactively. Get what I mean?

RCgothic
2012-10-09, 03:42 AM
Still here!

Eldonauran
2012-10-09, 09:42 PM
My interest has only waxed in the brief period of silence.

Fiat away! :smallamused:

OMG PONIES
2012-10-10, 12:18 PM
Fiat away! :smallamused:

You mean we're all getting brand new cars?! :smalltongue:

http://www.allpar.com/photos/fiat/cars.jpg

RCgothic
2012-10-16, 11:45 AM
Note: My laptop recently died a deadly death. I have trouble writing posts of any length on my phone, but I'll try to keep up.:smalleek:

RCgothic
2012-10-17, 05:28 AM
Also, I started the game assuming we didn't know each other, but the way we've just matter-of-factly gone along to the meeting means I'm now playing as though we're at least reasonably familiar with one another.

Is Cardea about?

RaggedAngel
2012-10-17, 09:23 AM
Also, I started the game assuming we didn't know each other, but the way we've just matter-of-factly gone along to the meeting means I'm now playing as though we're at least reasonably familiar with one another.

Is Cardea about?

Yeah, I was also going into this assuming that we didn't know each other, but at least a few of us made the assumption that we did. The first rule of improv is that you never say no, so I rolled with it. It's kind of nice, in a way; it means that we don't need an excuse as to why we fight together in a very well-planned, cohesive way.

Cardea
2012-10-17, 08:02 PM
Is Cardea about?

Uh. Hi.

I got a job recently working for a mortgage company, so my time has just been devoured. I'm getting into the flow of it now, so I'm trying to get back into my old games.

Glad to see this one is returning.

RaggedAngel
2012-10-17, 08:09 PM
Uh. Hi.

I got a job recently working for a mortgage company, so my time has just been devoured. I'm getting into the flow of it now, so I'm trying to get back into my old games.

Glad to see this one is returning.

Huzzah, employment! I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you, and I look forward to seeing you around again. :smallsmile:

Cardea
2012-10-17, 08:19 PM
Huzzah, employment! I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you, and I look forward to seeing you around again. :smallsmile:

Oh give me/Elias a hug you know; you want to.

RaggedAngel
2012-10-17, 09:50 PM
Oh give me/Elias a hug you know; you want to.

If that wasn't massively out of character for Lora I would, I promise. :smallwink:

RCgothic
2012-10-18, 06:05 AM
It's NOT massively out of character for Emily! Beware the hugs! :smalltongue:

Lol, I'm just gunning for Lora's vestiges right now. Shall I spontaneously manifest something as well, will that help? :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-10-18, 08:56 AM
Oh, right, RC Gothic's last post reminds me that I need to remind you: Lora has wide-range and rather versatile telepathy and mind-reading. You can just think at her, and she can reply in kind. She can also convey thoughts between two people, with her as the intermediate.

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 03:45 AM
I think it would still be natural for Emily to use an expression even if rationally she knows Lora can just pick up on her thoughts, but I can make a slight modification to my post.

*Prods Ponies and Eldonauran.*

RaggedAngel
2012-10-19, 05:01 PM
I was holding off on saying this because I didn't want to be a whiner, but I can't read the NPC's dialogue in that colour without getting a splitting headache. Is there any way his speaking color could be slightly less, er, violent on the eyes?

Fable Wright
2012-10-19, 10:55 PM
I was holding off on saying this because I didn't want to be a whiner, but I can't read the NPC's dialogue in that colour without getting a splitting headache. Is there any way his speaking color could be slightly less, er, violent on the eyes?

I was wondering about that, but I had already started using Cyan, and I didn't want to just change . I'll go find another color...

Working with MediumTurquoise now, which seems to be much less offensively bright.

OMG PONIES
2012-10-22, 08:03 PM
Oh, right, RC Gothic's last post reminds me that I need to remind you: Lora has wide-range and rather versatile telepathy and mind-reading. You can just think at her, and she can reply in kind. She can also convey thoughts between two people, with her as the intermediate.

This will never cease to give Bonu the heebie-jeebies (even if his immunity to mind-affecting abilities blocks it). If Lora can tell what he's thinking, I pity her poor soul.

RaggedAngel
2012-10-22, 09:03 PM
This will never cease to give Bonu the heebie-jeebies (even if his immunity to mind-affecting abilities blocks it). If Lora can tell what he's thinking, I pity her poor soul.

:smallbiggrin: Oh, don't worry, she consorts with the minds of Those That Lie Beyond and Vestiges. Her mind has been stripped down to it's barest form two or three times, only to rebuild itself stronger than before. A crazy necromancer is about as bad as a "mortal" can get, but it's not as bad as the beings that empower her.

RCgothic
2012-10-27, 03:06 AM
Sorry for the short reply, I've been busy but felt I had to get something up.

RCgothic
2012-10-30, 01:37 AM
Prod? :smallfrown:

RaggedAngel
2012-10-30, 09:27 AM
Prod? :smallfrown:

Blarg. I've been very unresponsive, and I apologize for that. Post incoming!

RCgothic
2012-11-13, 03:06 PM
If it's a job, then there has to be payment!

Eldonauran
2012-11-13, 06:25 PM
Yes, this is always the matter of getting our attention with monetary gain and maintaining it so that we finish the quest. Vortex, on the other hand, has nothing better to do. That's the curse of agelessness for you.

RaggedAngel
2012-11-28, 09:48 AM
Thanksgiving was a busy time for everyone, and many of us have finals coming up. That said, I'd rather not see this game die a quiet death before it ever really begins. DMoD, I love your games, and I love our characters. Let's make this work, together.

RCgothic
2012-11-28, 10:17 AM
Still here! :smallsmile:

Cardea
2012-11-28, 10:49 AM
Thanksgiving was a busy time for everyone, and many of us have finals coming up. That said, I'd rather not see this game die a quiet death before it ever really begins. DMoD, I love your games, and I love our characters. Let's make this work, together.

At least let me burn one thing, man. :smallsmile:

RaggedAngel
2012-11-28, 11:08 AM
At least let me burn one thing, man. :smallsmile:

Exactly. Is is so wrong that I want to mentally dominate one person?

Cardea
2012-11-28, 11:19 AM
Exactly. Is is so wrong that I want to mentally dominate one person?

Yeah! Morally ambiguous good guys have needs too, y'know!

Fable Wright
2012-11-28, 12:55 PM
Sorry about the delays; I'm behind on some work because of Thanksgiving, but I will be getting an IC post up tomorrow afternoon.

RaggedAngel
2012-11-28, 02:18 PM
Sorry about the delays; I'm behind on some work because of Thanksgiving, but I will be getting an IC post up tomorrow afternoon.

Not a problem, DMoD. We're just all eager to use our overwhelming power on targets that will no doubt ignore it like water off a duck's back.

Cardea
2012-11-28, 03:16 PM
Not a problem, DMoD. We're just all eager to use our overwhelming power on targets that will no doubt ignore it like water off a duck's back.

If we are fighting spiders, the first thing Elias will learn when he can use 5th level spells is teleport.

Because I've already got fire, and if fire gets ignored, the only solution is teleport.

OMG PONIES
2012-12-02, 08:58 PM
Still here as well.

RCgothic
2012-12-05, 07:14 AM

*amused prod*

:smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2012-12-05, 09:24 AM
*amused prod*

:smalltongue:

I can forgive the man; habits are hard to get back into. :smallwink:

Fable Wright
2012-12-06, 08:59 PM
It's only a week late. That's not too bad, is it? >.>

*Is thankful for phylactery.*

RaggedAngel
2012-12-07, 12:35 PM
It's only a week late. That's not too bad, is it? >.>

*Is thankful for phylactery.*

You mean this phylactery?

*holds it up, grinning*

:smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Cardea
2012-12-07, 01:30 PM
You mean this phylactery?

*holds it up, grinning*

:smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

I find it hard to imagine holding DMoD's phylactery; mainly because I find it hard to imagine DMoD to have a phylactery that you could grasp with your hands or, going further, one you could grasp with your mind.

RaggedAngel
2012-12-07, 04:38 PM
I find it hard to imagine holding DMoD's phylactery; mainly because I find it hard to imagine DMoD to have a phylactery that you could grasp with your hands or, going further, one you could grasp with your mind.

Hey. He may be a lich, but I'm a fallen angel. Give me some credit here.

Fable Wright
2012-12-07, 05:15 PM
You would think that may be my phylactery, but the problem is, that's the wrong copy. Looking for it would be like looking for a piece of hay in a pile of fireproof hay that has a tell that you don't know about.

*glances at alleged phylactery.*

...Lucky guess. Fortunately, there are contingencies against that.

*phylactery dissolves into shadow, disappears.*

Fable Wright
2012-12-07, 07:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, but... Bonu did take one of the backpacks that he would need to get back, and didn't just walk forward into an oblivion he had no return from, right?

RaggedAngel
2012-12-07, 07:44 PM
Sorry for the double post, but... Bonu did take one of the backpacks that he would need to get back, and didn't just walk forward into an oblivion he had no return from, right?

RIP Papa Bonu.

OMG PONIES
2012-12-08, 12:13 AM

Honestly, will it jack things up if we go with a "no?". Or can the party still tap into the Beyond and give him a pack along with a tongue lashing? I'd say that between Bonu's distrust of magic and constant teetering on the brink of death, he's developed a lackadaisical attitude toward devices of Mortal Danger.

If it dumps him alone in oblivion separated from the party, then let's retcon him grabbing a yinyang pack.

RaggedAngel
2012-12-08, 12:10 PM
Honestly, will it jack things up if we go with a "no?". Or can the party still tap into the Beyond and give him a pack along with a tongue lashing? I'd say that between Bonu's distrust of magic and constant teetering on the brink of death, he's developed a lackadaisical attitude toward devices of Mortal Danger.

If it dumps him alone in oblivion separated from the party, then let's retcon him grabbing a yinyang pack.

I can promise you that Lora would stop him if he didn't grab a pack. I don't know why I didn't post that IC in the first place.

Fable Wright
2012-12-18, 03:31 PM
RaggedAngel, do note that Constructs are immune to Mind-Affecting and Detect Thoughts is Mind-Affecting. (It isn't a living construct.)

RaggedAngel
2012-12-18, 04:04 PM
RaggedAngel, do note that Constructs are immune to Mind-Affecting and Detect Thoughts is Mind-Affecting. (It isn't a living construct.)

You crafty [this forum censors my language].

Well. I'll go edit my post.

Cardea
2012-12-18, 04:51 PM

I always thought you'd at least pick up on a command or two if it was a Golem that went off commands from a Master, in my opinion, y'know?

Hell yeah we are.

Fable Wright
2012-12-18, 05:07 PM
"The Void does not intersect with our cosmology in any way. It is distinct, a reality of its own, and it does not play by our rules. Time, space, and physics are worthless. Will is everything. If you lose your will, if your mind becomes insolvent, you will cease to exist. The only thing that will keep you 'alive' is your belief that it should be so. Remember that."

...Well. You hit that nail on the head. Better than you think, even.

RaggedAngel
2012-12-18, 05:11 PM
...Well. You hit that nail on the head. Better than you think, even.

We've both read all the same source material and we think very similarly. I'd be surprised if I was completely off target.

We're both crazy in the same way, DMoD. :smallwink:

Fable Wright
2012-12-20, 09:47 PM
Well, unless you all have questions to ask, it's time to touch the portal. After everyone's touched it (so I know you're all here), it's time to move to the Other Side.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-22, 09:12 AM
I know this campaign pressed pause right around the holidays, but I'm really hoping the DM and players are still around and interested in continuing. I was digging our group dynamic and the concept of the Void.

Fable Wright
2013-02-22, 10:13 AM
I'm still up to DM, if everyone else is willing to play. I stopped posting because I was waiting on RCGothic and Eldonaurn to post so I'd know they were there. From the silence in the OOC and IC thread, I had surmised they bowed out, and didn't push too hard to continue on without them, as the game hadn't been going on for that long.

RCgothic
2013-02-22, 10:57 AM
I'm still subscribed. You were all waiting on me? *face palm* :smalleek:

Fable Wright
2013-02-22, 11:36 AM
I'm still subscribed. You were all waiting on me? *face palm* :smalleek:

Not just you, also Eldonaurn, who disappeared from the OOC thread, and Cardea, who disappeared from the IC thread.

RCgothic
2013-02-22, 12:28 PM
Ah yes, I remember why I was waiting. Emily isn't impressed by the terms and is naturally cautious. She was going to wait until last to follow the others through.

Cardea
2013-02-22, 01:05 PM
Ah yes, I remember why I was waiting. Emily isn't impressed by the terms and is naturally cautious. She was going to wait until last to follow the others through.

... that's what I was trying to have Elias do.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-22, 01:50 PM
And I'm just sitting here wanting to get my game on. Let's get things rolling again, guys! Momentum is everything, and I really want to see where DMoD's games go when they aren't murdered in their cribs.

RCgothic
2013-02-22, 03:21 PM

So the lesson is we have to post OOC why we're waiting.:smallsigh:

OK, will try and get a post up tonight.

Cardea
2013-02-22, 06:17 PM
And I'm just sitting here wanting to get my game on. Let's get things rolling again, guys! Momentum is everything, and I really want to see where DMoD's games go when they aren't murdered in their cribs.

I have a feeling what we're doing doesn't really count as necromancy.

We're all just casting reincarnate.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-22, 06:32 PM

Hear, hear!

QFT.

RCgothic
2013-02-24, 03:41 PM
Onward! :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2013-02-24, 04:08 PM
Onward! :smallsmile:

Once I'm sure Eldonaurn is back, sure.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-25, 09:20 AM
Did we send a PM?

Eldonauran
2013-02-25, 05:31 PM
:smallredface: Would you believe I lost my subscription to the threads?

Thanks for the PM. I am still willing to move forward if you guys will still have me.

OMG PONIES
2013-02-25, 05:56 PM
Yeah, do it! Let me post a link to the IC thread so you can touch the magic obelisk of Death Plot Advancement.

Here it is! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251389&page=2)

Eldonauran
2013-02-25, 06:52 PM
Many thanks! Post is up! :smallbiggrin:

RaggedAngel
2013-02-25, 10:10 PM
Yeah, do it! Let me post a link to the IC thread so you can touch the magic obelisk of Death Plot Advancement.

Why not both? :smallwink:

RCgothic
2013-02-26, 02:42 AM
That was a nice thing Vortex did! :smallsmile:

Cardea, you're last!

Eldonauran
2013-02-26, 03:28 PM
That was a nice thing Vortex did! :smallsmile:

:smallbiggrin:

I thought your post was well written and Emily's need seemd to call out to Vortex's character, spurring his action to be what it is. He sees the group as his 'pack' and when of his packmates are in need, he is there for them.

Because of his alignment and ... unique personality, Vortex's decisions and actions are all tied to personal relationships. He would probably think twice about attacking a cleric of pure good that is threatening his friend, but only because he's choosing between the throat or the groin as the best target. Likewise, he'd dive into a pool of lava after his friends if he thought he had the slightest chance to save them. A stranger in danger = can i save them with little risk to myself? If so, than do it. A friend in danger = SAVE THEM. No other thoughts.

Fable Wright
2013-02-28, 10:46 PM

Well, given that everyone else is ready, now is his chance.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 11:02 PM
Well, given that everyone else is ready, now is his chance.

Hehehe. I approve of cajoling. This is an excellent example of cajoling.

RCgothic
2013-03-05, 04:52 AM
So yeah, Emily's mad at Lora and Bonu, but waiting to see what their reaction is before letting them have it. She won't be unsympathetic if sympathy is what's needed though.

So we started playing on the assumption that none of the characters really knew each other, but it turns out in practice that we actually do and are fairly good friends. I kind of have in mind that Lora would be a particularly strong friend to Emily within the group, so I guess I have to ask to what extent Emily knows about Lora's dealings with denizens of the lower planes?

RaggedAngel
2013-03-05, 10:49 AM
So yeah, Emily's mad at Lora and Bonu, but waiting to see what their reaction is before letting them have it. She won't be unsympathetic if sympathy is what's needed though.

So we started playing on the assumption that none of the characters really knew each other, but it turns out in practice that we actually do and are fairly good friends. I kind of have in mind that Lora would be a particularly strong friend to Emily within the group, so I guess I have to ask to what extent Emily knows about Lora's dealings with denizens of the lower planes?

That's just the thing; she has no dealings with denizens of the lower planes. Or the higher planes, or the middle ones. She deals with a few beings that have no affiliation with any place, or the multiverse at all. That's how Binder's operate.

RCgothic
2013-03-05, 11:05 AM
Fair enough, I'm just trying to get a handle on how much Emily might know about what her friend gets up to and whether or not she'd have reservations. :smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2013-03-05, 06:04 PM

What'd I do? :smallfrown: [/puppydogeyes]

Fable Wright
2013-03-05, 06:15 PM
What'd I do? :smallfrown: [/puppydogeyes]

Get yourself killed by a dangerous madman that is hiding from the impossible to escape police and drag the rest of the party down with you?

OMG PONIES
2013-03-05, 09:44 PM
Get yourself killed by a dangerous madman that is hiding from the impossible to escape police and drag the rest of the party down with you?

Sounds like your average Tuesday.

Fable Wright
2013-03-06, 10:54 PM
Sounds like your average Tuesday.

More like a Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

Also, since RA previously mentioned wanting to be in the loop if I ever started a new game, I feel obliged to mention this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14836605#post14836605) somewhat less discreetly than a small tag in my signature. I had an idea stuck in my head, and the only way to get it out was through a proper game. It probably shouldn't impact my posting rate here, though.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-07, 01:08 AM
More like a Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

Also, since RA previously mentioned wanting to be in the loop if I ever started a new game, I feel obliged to mention this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14836605#post14836605) somewhat less discreetly than a small tag in my signature. I had an idea stuck in my head, and the only way to get it out was through a proper game. It probably shouldn't impact my posting rate here, though.

Threw my idea at you, should be able to whip up a sheet tomorrow; level 3 isn't too difficult of a place to begin. I'm looking forward to it. :smallsmile:

And now to get back to posting in this game... :smallredface:

OMG PONIES
2013-03-08, 08:46 AM
I repeat what I've said in other threads: I have a writing crush on RaggedAngel.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-08, 11:11 AM
I repeat what I've said in other threads: I have a writing crush on RaggedAngel.

Really? Me too! :smallwink:

Seriously, though, now I'm blushing. Curse you. *shakes fist in the air*

RCgothic
2013-03-14, 05:20 AM
Ponies, your rhymes are awesome! :smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2013-03-14, 08:07 AM
Ponies, your rhymes are awesome! :smallsmile:

Thanks, I'm glad someone besides myself is enjoying them. In the Void, I'm also trying to write Bonu's speech in iambic pentameter. Hopefully it doesn't feel too strained.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-14, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I'm glad someone besides myself is enjoying them. In the Void, I'm also trying to write Bonu's speech in iambic pentameter. Hopefully it doesn't feel too strained.

I noticed as well, and I enjoy them immensely.

Oh, and RCgothic, I've been wondering; why the first person point of view? It's just a bit unusual, so I'm curious.

RCgothic
2013-03-14, 09:17 AM
I've tried writing in third, I just feel more immersed in the character in first. I play pretty much all my PbP games in first person. No other reason! :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2013-03-14, 01:21 PM
Note:

Cardea, it isn't just your vision. Your hand is now actually a black stone claw.

Cardea
2013-03-14, 01:34 PM
Note:

Cardea, it isn't just your vision. Your hand is now actually a black stone claw.

What I thought I was getting: "Oh damn. DMoD likes to really flavor up my Detect spells.

What I am actually getting: AHAHAH WHAT.

I'll revise my post.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-14, 03:29 PM
Note:

Can he feel/move it, like the Fist of Stone spell? Or is it inert now?

Oh, and you never got back to me concerning my Knowledge rolls. :smallwink::smalltongue:

RCgothic
2013-03-14, 03:33 PM
Let's hit the rest of you with that spell and see what happens! :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2013-03-14, 03:40 PM
Let's hit the rest of you with that spell and see what happens! :smalltongue:

Let's not. Let's not cast anything until I find out the results of my danged Knowledge checks.

Fable Wright
2013-03-14, 03:42 PM
Can he feel/move it, like the Fist of Stone spell? Or is it inert now?

Oh, and you never got back to me concerning my Knowledge rolls. :smallwink::smalltongue:

He can feel/move it; it's part of the rest of his body, despite his blood apparently turning into magma when it moves through it.

On the results of the knowledge roll:
You feel like you could recognize the symbol if it were shown to you, but without the guidance of Dantalion, you'd be unable to puzzle out what it would look like by yourself. When you think about Dantalion and the repository of knowledge that he used to have, another symbol forms in your head.

EDIT: Also, RC, you manage to blast the poor rabbit without incident. Fortunately for it, it was a minor hit, and it just hops away startled and with a bruise obviously forming on it.

(Sorry for not putting this in a big IC post, but it's relatively small stuff that I don't feel like elaborating on a proper description for.)

Eldonauran
2013-03-14, 04:08 PM
He can feel/move it; it's part of the rest of his body, despite his blood apparently turning into magma when it moves through it.

:smalleek: :smallconfused: :smallamused:

That ... is interesting. Wonder what would happen if ...

*runs off to post*

RCgothic
2013-03-14, 04:26 PM
Aw, I was hoping to have rabbit for dinner! (I actually had some for lunch the other day - very tasty! Quite like Lamb. :smallsmile:)

Fable Wright
2013-03-14, 05:18 PM
:smalleek: :smallconfused: :smallamused:

That ... is interesting. Wonder what would happen if ...

*runs off to post*

Just to check; is Vortex using his Rebind Totem Soulmeld ability to do so, or is this just a mental practice?

RCgothic
2013-03-15, 09:06 AM
On the whole first/third person thing, it reads naturally from my point of view, but I hadn't thought until now that it might be jarring for other people to read a character that isn't theirs in first person, and now I'm worried I may have been being selfish in writing this way. :smallfrown:

How much of a difference does it make to everyone else which viewpoint I write in?

RaggedAngel
2013-03-15, 09:15 AM
On the whole first/third person thing, it reads naturally from my point of view, but I hadn't thought until now that it might be jarring for other people to read a character that isn't theirs in first person, and now I'm worried I may have been being selfish in writing this way. :smallfrown:

How much of a difference does it make to everyone else which viewpoint I write in?

I mean, it is a little weird, otherwise I wouldn't have asked about it; it just makes reading your IC posts take a little more effort, and if they're long I'll just skim for the important bits. But the important part is that it's easier and more natural for you to write; and that's definitely more important than another player needing a tad more effort to read your posts. Don't worry about it. :smallsmile:

Eldonauran
2013-03-15, 12:28 PM
Just to check; is Vortex using his Rebind Totem Soulmeld ability to do so, or is this just a mental practice?

Ah, right. Yes. Rebind Totem.

I actually find myself paying MORE attention to your posts based on how you are writing. It kind of jars me out of my usual pattern and helps me empathize more with your character. When I read 'I' in a post, it makes it more personal. Some people don't like it. I do. :smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2013-03-15, 01:14 PM

Little to none--I like that it gives us more of a glimpse into your internal dialogue, and if it helps you play the character, more power to you.

Fable Wright
2013-03-16, 01:15 PM
Is her Handy Haversack functioning properly?

The haversack is working properly, though the bow has a little bit of snow on it and is cold to the touch.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-16, 01:26 PM
The haversack is working properly, though the bow has a little bit of snow on it and is cold to the touch.

I am officially lost. I cannot find the pattern here.

Cardea
2013-03-18, 09:30 PM
I am officially lost. I cannot find the pattern here.
I'm guessing its just that magic plays a larger role in changing the world; in a more literal fashion.

Also, my internet was out this weekend. Sorry for absence.

Eldonauran
2013-03-19, 07:43 PM
:smallconfused: That's almost exactly what I thought would happen... Err, well. Minus the Soulmeld turning into an actual creature. That has me a little, :smalleek:

DMoD: Can Vortex tell if the Girallion created has any ambient life energy (ie, did Vortex lose any in its creation?) or is it like the rest of the area? This will affect how he reacts.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-19, 07:59 PM
I'm guessing its just that magic plays a larger role in changing the world; in a more literal fashion.

Also, my internet was out this weekend. Sorry for absence.

Unfortunately for Lora, I don't know what she's able to do right now. In hindsight, the fact that her power comes from a deal to let the vestiges experience the Real World may be a slight issue now that she is not, in fact, a part of the Real World.

Fable Wright
2013-03-19, 08:46 PM
:smallconfused: That's almost exactly what I thought would happen... Err, well. Minus the Soulmeld turning into an actual creature. That has me a little, :smalleek:

DMoD: Can Vortex tell if the Girallion created has any ambient life energy (ie, did Vortex lose any in its creation?) or is it like the rest of the area? This will affect how he reacts.

The energy of the soulmeld was lost from Vortex, and can't be reclaimed in this unnatural place. However, there was no essentia lost in the process, and the Girallion feels both of your world and the space between the planes. The Girallion is definitely alive, though, beating heart and everything, just like the rabbits of this place.

Also, RaggedAngel: I would never completely cut out all of the powers of a character. There is definitely a way for Lora to wield considerable power over the Void. Reality Warper powers. Provided, of course, she can figure out how.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-19, 09:24 PM
Also, RaggedAngel: I would never completely cut out all of the powers of a character. There is definitely a way for Lora to wield considerable power over the Void. Reality Warper powers. Provided, of course, she can figure out how.

Don't worry, I trust you. I'm just trying to rev my fever-addled brain enough to figure out how, exactly, Lora can wield her power over the Void.

Cardea
2013-03-19, 09:26 PM
Don't worry, I trust you. I'm just trying to rev my fever-addled brain enough to figure out how, exactly, Lora can wield her power over the Void.

Just an idea, but:

Vestiges exist in the places between places, don't they?

Where exactly would we be?

RaggedAngel
2013-03-19, 09:44 PM
Just an idea, but:

Vestiges exist in the places between places, don't they?

Where exactly would we be?

See, that's the thing. Allow me to throw my obsession with the Tome of Poorly-Written Magic at you.

The vestiges all came into their current state in slightly different ways, but the most common theme is a rejection by the gods after their death. Unable to find a place on any of the Outer Planes, and unable to return to the Prime Material, they get lost in the space between spaces. It is, however, unclear if the space between spaces is itself a space. After all, the Astral Plane is the plane between all the other planes, and fills the role of a transitory plane in standard cosmology.

Vestiges end up somewhere else, because a powerful being on the Astral can travel to and enter other planes with a little effort, and some beings actually reside on the Astral (including Ethergaunts, which are friggin' cool). So, where do they end up? It's a place within our reality, as it is distinct and not connected to the Far Realms, which is considered either the outer edge of standard cosmology or another cosmology entirely that happens to be adjacent to our own.

Then we have to ask the question, what does Unname do? It's more or less the most powerful (or at least thorough) killing spell in the game, which is ironic considering the fact that it employs Truespeak (and I fall very close to Zaq in my misguided love of Truenamers and the Truespeak system). Unname erases a creature's body, their possessions, and their soul from reality. Indeed, if anything, the Unname spell is in fact an ideal way to remove oneself from the cosmology; and the only place to "go", so to speak, is the same place that vestiges end up. The only way to be brought back is a Ritual of Renaming followed by a True Resurrection; which raises the interesting question of whether or not a vestige could be restored to reality by the same means.

/rant

Eldonauran
2013-03-19, 10:06 PM
The energy of the soulmeld was lost from Vortex, and can't be reclaimed in this unnatural place. However, there was no essentia lost in the process, and the Girallion feels both of your world and the space between the planes. The Girallion is definitely alive, though, beating heart and everything, just like the rabbits of this place.

I see.

[roll0]

Eldonauran
2013-03-19, 10:09 PM
Well, that didn't work right

Wild Empathy
[roll0]

Cardea
2013-03-19, 10:18 PM
See, that's the thing. Allow me to throw my obsession with the Tome of Poorly-Written Magic at you.

The vestiges all came into their current state in slightly different ways, but the most common theme is a rejection by the gods after their death. Unable to find a place on any of the Outer Planes, and unable to return to the Prime Material, they get lost in the space between spaces. It is, however, unclear if the space between spaces is itself a space. After all, the Astral Plane is the plane between all the other planes, and fills the role of a transitory plane in standard cosmology.

Vestiges end up somewhere else, because a powerful being on the Astral can travel to and enter other planes with a little effort, and some beings actually reside on the Astral (including Ethergaunts, which are friggin' cool). So, where do they end up? It's a place within our reality, as it is distinct and not connected to the Far Realms, which is considered either the outer edge of standard cosmology or another cosmology entirely that happens to be adjacent to our own.

Then we have to ask the question, what does Unname do? It's more or less the most powerful (or at least thorough) killing spell in the game, which is ironic considering the fact that it employs Truespeak (and I fall very close to Zaq in my misguided love of Truenamers and the Truespeak system). Unname erases a creature's body, their possessions, and their soul from reality. Indeed, if anything, the Unname spell is in fact an ideal way to remove oneself from the cosmology; and the only place to "go", so to speak, is the same place that vestiges end up. The only way to be brought back is a Ritual of Renaming followed by a True Resurrection; which raises the interesting question of whether or not a vestige could be restored to reality by the same means.

/rant

$0.02:

I'm going to stick with a writing set for this.

The way that Unname is described in Tome of Poorly-Executed Magic is from a mortal perspective with mortal thoughts and mortal rationality. You erase the things that made whatever you Unname keep its name, unshackling it from the script of the universe, along with whatever it had on its body. But you can still Rename it. You can still bring it back. Which, to me at least, means that it wasn't a real Unnaming. Just a good imitation. Like using white-out over pen.

You state that the gods rejected these beings once they died is a common theme. Ignoring the fact that its not the common theme by your words, lets take a closer look at gods in general, as stat'ed out in Deities and Demigods. They all have class levels, sure, but all of them have their own level of Power (tm) that links up with what they do, whether its Boccob being a wizard, Nerull being a wizard or Moradin being a Fighter (or whatever he's stat'ed out with.) But none of them have been stated as knowing any form of Truenaming, and I've never seen anyone hint at it. So assuming no god has taken levels in Truenamer, they're still left with the skill itself.

Deities are not mortal and aren't bound by our same restrictions of perception that we have. They take reality bending and physics ignorance to a new level of kept-in-the-basement. So a god with Truenaming is understandably better at Unname than us mere mortals, but is still only achieving it through the skill. Its still not a 'true' Unname. But since they're gods, they're not approaching the penned in name with white out, they're ripping and cutting out the spot where that name was, and taking it away from the script of reality.

But they're still technically in existence, just not necessarily ours. As a Binder you see what was once there, and invoke their powers across the distance between your current reality, and the one they currently inhabit, despite how isolated or distant it is; because they were once part of your world, that's enough. You can't resurrect them, because their names aren't on the script anymore, and you can't Rename them, since its different from a mortal's version of Renaming. You can peel off white out, but its substantially harder to put the two realities back in alignment, when you lack both tape and glue.

This is assuming that Truenaming and Vestiges are somehow linked, of course.

I honestly think we're closer to their reality than we are to our last one, if not in it entirely. See:

Five ambitious adventurers were lured by the promises of easy wealth into a madman's hand, and were led to oblivion, unnamed. No one remembers their existence, their passing, the small marks made on the world. The experiments that led to Vortex's creation were all failures, the project terminated. Papa Bonu was never born, and his village never cursed, his unborn soul devoured by the Mother as the cure for his people. Lora's fateful expedition went unfunded, as no nobleman dared risk the expenditure. Emily's stepfather never had a child to abuse, and eventually cleaned up his act, becoming an adventurer. The bloodline that spawned Elias never reached quite far enough down; the dragon blood dried up entirely generations ago. They never existed. There were no people in that room with the professor. Five pieces of history that never were.

Our characters never happened in the last reality. We got torn from where we once were, like scraps of paper.

I think, though, that because of how we were Unnamed, we got a different circumstance. We're not Vestiges bound to the reality we're in now. We're just inhabiting it for the time being. We're in a place where magic fills a void where logic has left. The bound soul/concept of a Girallon's arm spawns a Girallon. Detect Dragonblood makes me see the blood in my veins, makes my skin follow suit.

I honestly think if you tried to Bind in this place, either you become more like the vestige than what is norm, or you summon the vestige itself.

/followuprant

OMG PONIES
2013-03-20, 11:44 AM
I honestly think if you tried to Bind in this place, either you become more like the vestige than what is norm...
Potentially awesome.

...or you summon the vestige itself.
Potentially terrifying. It is for this very reason that Bonu hasn't yet tried to wield any of his death magic.

RCgothic
2013-03-27, 12:31 PM
For the record before anyone takes that post the wrong way, Emily is heterosexual.

Comforting friend comforts.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-27, 01:15 PM
For the record before anyone takes that post the wrong way, Emily is heterosexual.

Comforting friend comforts.

Curses.

RCgothic
2013-03-27, 02:52 PM
Curses.

Curses? I sense a subplot!

RaggedAngel
2013-03-27, 02:54 PM
Curses? I sense a subplot!

Don't tease me like that, or I'll be forced to return the favor. :smallamused:

RCgothic
2013-03-27, 05:41 PM
Don't tease me like that, or I'll be forced to return the favor. :smallamused:

Tease? Who, me?:haley:

Lora can have a crush on Emily if that's the way you want to play it, but Emily'd be oblivious (at this stage), and unlikely to reciprocate. But I wouldn't say 100% no...

...if only to prolong the angst! :p

RCgothic
2013-04-01, 03:37 PM
Who are we waiting on? Ponies, Eldonauran and Ragged?

RaggedAngel
2013-04-01, 05:13 PM
Who are we waiting on? Ponies, Eldonauran and Ragged?

I'm waiting to see how the girallion will act, and to see if people agree that we should go get shelter.

OMG PONIES
2013-04-01, 07:38 PM
I'm waiting to see how the girallion will act, and to see if people agree that we should go get shelter.

Basically the same...

RCgothic
2013-04-02, 02:08 AM
I don't think the Giralion is going to do anything. It has no hostile intent, it's just climbing the tree.:smallsmile:

OMG PONIES
2013-04-02, 06:39 AM
Hmm, then I'm at a loss for where we go from here. Bonu's not great at scouting or gathering info...two things that might help us in our mission of finding an Ohm. Anyone else?

RCgothic
2013-04-02, 07:56 AM
We'll just pick a direction and wander off. :smallwink:

But first our characters all need to agree with Lora's suggestion that that's what we do. Emily's ignored that question for the moment, but will agree once she's had Lora's response to being hugged.

RaggedAngel
2013-04-02, 10:24 AM
We'll just pick a direction and wander off. :smallwink:

But first our characters all need to agree with Lora's suggestion that that's what we do. Emily's ignored that question for the moment, but will agree once she's had Lora's response to being hugged.

Oh, my, you were waiting on me? Lora can be standoffish, but she'd never turn down a hug from a friend, especially when she's feeling so downtrodden.

RCgothic
2013-04-02, 10:43 AM
Didn't think it would be refused, just curious as to her precise reaction. :smallsmile:

Eldonauran
2013-04-04, 12:30 PM
Got a bit distracted. I'll be posting shortly.

OMG PONIES
2013-04-29, 07:00 AM
Everyone still around?

RCgothic
2013-04-29, 07:57 AM
Yup! :smallsmile:

(Bonu's rhymes are still awesome!)

RaggedAngel
2013-04-29, 10:42 AM
I'm still here, thought I'm still a little thrown-off by my OotS-less week. I missed you guys.

Fable Wright
2013-04-29, 11:03 AM
Still around, and rather glad that the forums are back up.

I didn't know how bad withdrawal could be for a website...

Eldonauran
2013-04-29, 11:32 AM
Still here. Forum going down prevented me from posting. :smallsigh:

I'm going to get right on it.

OMG PONIES
2013-04-29, 04:53 PM
I'm still here, thought I'm still a little thrown-off by my OotS-less week. I missed you guys.

Still around, and rather glad that the forums are back up.

I didn't know how bad withdrawal could be for a website...

Tell me about it. I got to a point where I tried clicking on the crayon-drawing version of the homepage, hoping beyond hope that it would take me somewhere...anywhere.

RaggedAngel
2013-05-08, 11:06 PM
I apologize for not replying to the thread yet, DMoD, but every time I do I end up just sitting there, reading the spoiler and trying to figure out where you're going with this. I'm going to admit, I really suck at playing the "guess exactly what the DM has in mind" game.

OMG PONIES
2013-05-09, 05:44 AM
It seems like he's leaving parley on the table, and I don't much like our odds fighting him if we're not sure how our powers work here and he's got the whole city behind him. Any rolls we could make to help hint us toward what might help?

Fable Wright
2013-05-09, 06:32 AM
I apologize for not replying to the thread yet, DMoD, but every time I do I end up just sitting there, reading the spoiler and trying to figure out where you're going with this. I'm going to admit, I really suck at playing the "guess exactly what the DM has in mind" game.

Here's a hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with your current predicament, and is more about setting exploration and hints at what, exactly, Binders can do in nonreality.

Also, OMG PONIES, there isn't too much you can do right now with straight skill rolls. You can, however, try to wheedle information out of him and try to make a reasonable explanation for why he should let you in if you wish to try the Diplomacy route.

Fable Wright
2013-05-17, 11:57 AM
At the mention of "Furies," Bonu's ears perk up. So there was a way in! Now if only he knew what "Furies" were...

OOC: Any kind of knowledge rolls, etc. that could clue us in? If not, I smell another rhyme brewing.

Rolling Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local) (apparently, Legends fall under this), or Knowledge (Arcana) will get the best results. Rolling any other knowledge might get you information about it at a penalty, but be aware that it is a fairly high DC.

EDIT: Oh, and because I forgot it IC:
@Lora:
When the knight mentioned "Void Witch," your ears perk up a bit. You remember that term being used before in extremely old books before; Void Witches and Void Warlocks are antiquated terms for binders.

RaggedAngel
2013-05-17, 04:41 PM
Rolling Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local) (apparently, Legends fall under this), or Knowledge (Arcana) will get the best results. Rolling any other knowledge might get you information about it at a penalty, but be aware that it is a fairly high DC.

EDIT: Oh, and because I forgot it IC:
@Lora:
When the knight mentioned "Void Witch," your ears perk up a bit. You remember that term being used before in extremely old books before; Void Witches and Void Warlocks are antiquated terms for binders.

Arcana: [roll0]

The Planes: [roll1]

History: [roll2]

Also, the info is received and is being processed.

OMG PONIES
2013-05-17, 08:25 PM
[roll0] Big money no whammies and...STOP.

EDIT: Whammied. :smallfrown:

Eldonauran
2013-05-21, 10:13 PM
Totally out of his element here, but lets hope Vortex knows something.

Knowledge (History) [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll1]

RaggedAngel
2013-05-21, 10:15 PM
I've got a real, honest-to-god IC post brewing. For realsies.

RCgothic
2013-05-25, 10:57 AM
Really? :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2013-05-26, 06:42 PM
Really? :smalltongue:

Hush, I had a crazy weekend. Today, I swear.

RaggedAngel
2013-05-28, 04:16 PM
Welp, nothing like a Diplomacy roll of 40 to remind me that no character is ever useless if you built them correctly. Words are a power all their own.

And yes, DMoD, I did use some personal knowledge to help Lora make assumptions. Hopefully you won't find them too much of a reach for an intelligent scholar like her.

Fable Wright
2013-05-28, 04:26 PM
Welp, nothing like a Diplomacy roll of 40 to remind me that no character is ever useless if you built them correctly. Words are a power all their own.

And yes, DMoD, I did use some personal knowledge to help Lora make assumptions. Hopefully you won't find them too much of a reach for an intelligent scholar like her.

It's to be expected, and they aren't very large logical leaps.

Also, you may want to roll bluff on "many of us have been rendered powerless."

RaggedAngel
2013-05-28, 05:07 PM
It's to be expected, and they aren't very large logical leaps.

Also, you may want to roll bluff on "many of us have been rendered powerless."

Lora considers herself and her vestiges at least three people, Incarnum powers aren't working, and Bonu's appearance has cleared up, which she assumes is due to him losing his powers. That's "many" in her book.

Fable Wright
2013-06-05, 12:08 PM
Lora nods to the soldier politely, grateful that he decided to see reason and grant them the benefit of the doubt instead of attacking them. She was fairly certain that they could handle him, but his stoney landshark was something else entirely.

She turns to the creature, approaching it respectfully and cautiously, as one would with any dangerous but well-trained animal. But this was not an animal at all, unless she was very mistaken. It was something quite different. She holds out her hand, laying it lightly on the earthen bulette's side. Instead of climbing aboard the creature she instead closes her eyes, and with an effort of will she tries to get a sense for it outside of her five mundane sense.

C'mon. C'mooooon.

Roll Knowledge (Arcana).

RaggedAngel
2013-06-05, 03:14 PM
Well, Lora has lost most of her knowledge abilities other than her 3/day reroll, so this isn't going to be as impressive as it would be if she was still bound to a spirit of knowledge.

Arcana: [roll0]

EDIT- Huzzah, I managed to get lucky. My reroll is below.

RaggedAngel
2013-06-05, 03:23 PM
I'm probably going to regret this, but I might as well blow a reroll on that to see if I can get a nice clean 20:

Arcana reroll: [roll0]

OMG PONIES
2013-06-26, 08:54 PM
Hey folks, is everyone still around? Bonu has nothing to add to the conversation right now, as whatever's happening is above the heads of both Bonu and his player :smalltongue:.