PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Two handed weapon below:10k

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 06:50 PM
Not exotic *besides drawven axe, then you also get a shield

It is for fighting in the underdark

Winner gets umm 5$ giftcard to walmart if you feel safe with giving address and stuff.

Okay as folks are asking for data:

Level 9 1 rog/6 pally/3 shadow bane inquistor, is a dwarf.

feats are undecided as of yet

Amoren
2012-07-24, 07:18 PM
A +1 Elf Bane Greatsword would do well, if you expect to fight primarily drow.

Keld Denar
2012-07-24, 07:21 PM
+1 Everbright Elf Bane anything comes in at exactly 10,000g before MW and misc fees are added on.

Otherwise, a Lesser Energy Assault Crystal runs about 1k, IIRC. A +1 Elf Bane weapon with a Lesser Energy Assault Crystal on it comes in at just under 10,000g, assuming you don't have a really expensive base weapon like a Mighty +6 Composite Longbow or more.

The Bandicoot
2012-07-24, 08:34 PM
Keen Elf-Bane Falchion comes in at under 10k. It nets you a 15-20 crit chance and the extra 2d6 against elves makes up for the 2d4 damage against everything else.

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 08:38 PM
Keen Elf-Bane Falchion comes in at under 10k. It nets you a 15-20 crit chance and the extra 2d6 against elves makes up for the 2d4 damage against everything else.

Hmm, you are all piggy backing on each other, the underdark h as more then just dark elves, lets get a lil more creative folks.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-24, 08:42 PM
Don't you have to, you know. Only use DMG for magic items for this game? I made that mistake... :P

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 08:44 PM
lol yes gavin, and this is for the daggerdale quest on the other forum.

VGLordR2
2012-07-24, 08:50 PM
Just throw on some resetting magical traps. :smalltongue:

Amoren
2012-07-24, 09:07 PM
DMG only? Hmmm, you're pretty much stuff with one of these, then; Bane, Defending, Flaming, Frost, Shock, Ghost touch, Keen, Ki Focus, Merciful, Mighty cleaving, Spell storing, Throwing, Thundering, Vicious.

Bane (Elf) or Bane (Aberration) is your best bet, however... if we want to be cheesy... You can put a level one spell on the sword as an automatically resetting trap, keyed to go off when you hit something. The DM might not let you have the spell created by the trap under your control, though (so you won't be able to direct what gets hit, and summon monster I likely won't have the creature under your control), of course this is assuming he allows it at all.

So, going for general AoE explosions on hit that won't screw you over as much;
Entangle: DC 11 Reflex save to avoid being tangled likely won't hit anyone with it, unless they roll poorly. But half movement speed will keep them in place, although you'll suffer the same movement reduction (unless you have freedom of movement or some on).
Obscuring Mist: Whatever you're hitting can now only see you. 20ft radius might screw over your team again, though. Still, charge to the back of the enemy and smack these mists out, and they can't do much of anything while your team assaults those not affected.
Fairy Fire: Will affect anything in a 5' burst on you. Could be useful to strip enemy spellcaster's concealment, but likely won't work against drow's spell resistance.
Bless Weapon: Hmmm, auto-confirm crits? Might be nice if the DM thinks the spell trap on your sword can be targeted to affect the sword...
Grease: If you've got ranks in balance, your party rogue will love you as you summon pools of grease underneath whatever you struck.

Just throw on some resetting magical traps. :smalltongue:

Swordsaged, but only because I actually gave more information! *Shakefist*

Balmas
2012-07-24, 09:11 PM
+1 Magebane Greatsword with a Lesser Crystal of Life Drinking comes in at 9850 GP. Against creatures with arcane spells or arcane spell-like abilities, it acts as a +3 weapon dealing 4d6+3+other bonuses, while healing you 3 HP for each hit. Just make sure to use the Complete Arcane version of Magebane. It's a lot better than the Compendium version.

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 09:32 PM
DMG only? Hmmm, you're pretty much stuff with one of these, then; Bane, Defending, Flaming, Frost, Shock, Ghost touch, Keen, Ki Focus, Merciful, Mighty cleaving, Spell storing, Throwing, Thundering, Vicious.

Bane (Elf) or Bane (Aberration) is your best bet, however... if we want to be cheesy... You can put a level one spell on the sword as an automatically resetting trap, keyed to go off when you hit something. The DM might not let you have the spell created by the trap under your control, though (so you won't be able to direct what gets hit, and summon monster I likely won't have the creature under your control), of course this is assuming he allows it at all.

So, going for general AoE explosions on hit that won't screw you over as much;
Entangle: DC 11 Reflex save to avoid being tangled likely won't hit anyone with it, unless they roll poorly. But half movement speed will keep them in place, although you'll suffer the same movement reduction (unless you have freedom of movement or some on).
Obscuring Mist: Whatever you're hitting can now only see you. 20ft radius might screw over your team again, though. Still, charge to the back of the enemy and smack these mists out, and they can't do much of anything while your team assaults those not affected.
Fairy Fire: Will affect anything in a 5' burst on you. Could be useful to strip enemy spellcaster's concealment, but likely won't work against drow's spell resistance.
Bless Weapon: Hmmm, auto-confirm crits? Might be nice if the DM thinks the spell trap on your sword can be targeted to affect the sword...
Grease: If you've got ranks in balance, your party rogue will love you as you summon pools of grease underneath whatever you struck.

Swordsaged, but only because I actually gave more information! *Shakefist*

not only damage, but your in a tie with the guy who suggested mage bane once I look it up and confirm

The Bandicoot
2012-07-24, 09:42 PM
I still stand by my Keen Falchion, just throw on another +1bonus but 15-20 crit range can be invaluable in ANY situation.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-24, 09:44 PM
Not against anything that's not subject to critical hits. And Keen is expensive, especially compared to having someone cast Keen Edge on you if you really, really want the 15-20.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-24, 09:46 PM
Keen Edge implies:

1.) There will be a Wizard in the party
2.) They will choose to cast Keen Edge on one of the party's weapons...

ericgrau
2012-07-24, 10:01 PM
DMG 10k pretty much limits you to +2 in enchantments. Assuming you don't simply get a +2 weapon, that's +1 with a single +1 special property.

I'm gonna say +1 spell storing hands down. Even for only 1 round the boom is big enough to be worth it for the entire combat, and it all happens right away which means some foe isn't going to be hurting the party over the next couple rounds. Some good spells are vampiric touch, empowered magic missile, inflict serious wounds and poison.

For the base weapon I like falchion, guisarme or spiked chain. First for crit, last 2 for reach trip. Scythe gets an honorable mention for crit trip.

Amoren
2012-07-24, 10:23 PM
Magical weapons require at least +1 enhancement modifier. So he's limited to +1 mod abilities with his two-handed sword.

Spell-storing can be nice, but I believe he's going Underdark Knight paladin, so likely isn't going to have spells of his own. And relying on spells being recharged by your other party members can be a bit limiting.

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 10:25 PM
DMG 10k pretty much limits you to +2 in enchantments. Assuming you don't simply get a +2 weapon, that's +1 with a single +1 special property.

I'm gonna say +1 spell storing hands down. Even for only 1 round the boom is big enough to be worth it for the entire combat, and it all happens right away which means some foe isn't going to be hurting the party over the next couple rounds. Some good spells are vampiric touch, empowered magic missile, inflict serious wounds and poison.

For the base weapon I like falchion, guisarme or spiked chain. First for crit, last 2 for reach trip. Scythe gets an honorable mention for crit trip.

what about stone mail or dwarven waraxe

Tytalus
2012-07-25, 02:34 AM

You can't have a weapon with magical abilities but no enhancement bonus. The above weapon would have to be +1 at least in addition to being keen and elf-bane, making it prohibitively expensive.

+1 Magebane Greatsword with a Lesser Crystal of Life Drinking comes in at 9850 GP. Against creatures with arcane spells or arcane spell-like abilities, it acts as a +3 weapon dealing 4d6+3+other bonuses, while healing you 3 HP for each hit. Just make sure to use the Complete Arcane version of Magebane. It's a lot better than the Compendium version.

Since the MIC is the newer source and Magebane was updated there, that is the proper version to use. Sadly, it no longer works against all creatures with "arcane spell-like abilities", but that was brokenly good anyway.

Spell Storing is great if you have a reliable source of spells to fill the weapon. If you plan on going that way, make sure you have another player (spellcaster) on board and willing to provide the spells.

Not against anything that's not subject to critical hits. And Keen is expensive, especially compared to having someone cast Keen Edge on you if you really, really want the 15-20.

Keen is not really a powerful choice; the average damage increase isn't all that great in the low or mid levels, and in the mid and high levels, opponents start to be immune to it.

I'd still consider it, if only for the fun factor of scoring crits.

ericgrau
2012-07-25, 07:32 AM
what about stone mail or dwarven waraxe
Oh yeah forgot about that. Depending on optimization level & tricks allowed (shocktrooper?), dwarven waraxe + shield could be your best option. If it's only PHB + DMG + Underdark books and you don't want a tripper then go for it. Especially to survive in underdark. Besides keeping you up for more rounds of hitting and thus doing more damage overall, there are numerous trap holes, arrow slits, etc. underground that a big shield is good for covering.

What's stone mail? Is that from Underdark?

Yeah do make sure the party has a caster before getting spell storing, and that he's willing to blow a 3rd level spell to help you out. But I did give examples of great wizard, cleric and druid spells so it's flexible.

kitcik
2012-07-25, 09:03 AM
Ignoring weapon cost: +1 Drowcraft Sudden Stunning Spiked Chain (or whatever is your favorite weapon): 10,000 w/o weapon costs

Including weapon costs: +1 Drowcraft with Least Fiendslayer Crystal Spiked Chain (or whatever is your favorite weapon): 9,000 + weapon cost (3XX) --> can have a Least Crystal of Energy Assault (600) or Revelation (400) in reserve to swap out against non evil outsiders

Telonius
2012-07-25, 09:21 AM
Purchase a +1 Greatsword: 2320 gp.

Level 3: Item Familiar feat.

You may now add powers to it as though you were crafting, even if you don't have the requisite creation feats. Bumping it up to a +2-equivalent costs only 3000gp, leaving you 4680gp to play around with.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 09:38 AM
Purchase a +1 Greatsword: 2320 gp.

Level 3: Item Familiar feat.

You may now add powers to it as though you were crafting, even if you don't have the requisite creation feats. Bumping it up to a +2-equivalent costs only 3000gp, leaving you 4680gp to play around with.

I actualy love this idea, but if i grow to outlevel the item, can I continue to enhance it or will it be stuck at enchantment level +2 when I reach higher levels. The fact am a shadowbane inquistor, I could make it a jimmny cricket of sorts, to help him stay positive in his actions.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-25, 09:41 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 09:45 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

ty, and no asking the DM if you can have it :P you already almost stole my magebane hahah

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-25, 09:46 AM
I was thinking of magebane before you even began this thread, FYI. Seriously.

It's one of the 'best' +1 options listed here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837

Suddo
2012-07-25, 10:56 AM
If you are a drawf (which I assume you are) and you happen to be using the Races of X series (which I doubt but still think its worth mentioning) I'd suggest going with a Dwarven Warpike. There are rules in Complete Warrior, I believe, that say you can swap out racial weapon familiarity.

whibla
2012-07-25, 11:12 AM
If you're allowed stuff from the MIC then I'd probably go for either the Axe of Ancestral Virtue (a +1 Keen Adamantine Dwarven Waraxe, provided your alignment is LG, LN, or NG), with a least weapon augment crystal of your choice (not costed in) - (8530gp) or, if [Relics] are out then a simple +1 Psychokinetic Dwarven Waraxe with a lesser life drinking augment crystal - (9830gp).

If you are strictly limited to stuff from the DMG then I'd probably just go with a +1 Mighty Cleaving Dwarven Waraxe - (8330gp) purely because your damage in the long run will depend on your number of attacks more than a relatively trivial, and oft negatable, 1d6 additional damage.

A final honourable mention must go the the Great SwordBow. A +1 Greatsword and +1 (Str +4) Composite Longbow, freely switchable, even mid attack sequence, rolled into a single weapon. Still enough 'cash' left over to attach a lesser energy augment crystal to it too - (9775gp).

NM020110
2012-07-25, 12:29 PM
...I'll go ahead and give pre-warning that you may wish to wear a book-proof helmet while considering this one.

10,000 gp availabe.

8,400 gp >> Candle of Invocation (Lawful Evil) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation) >> Efreeti (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#efreeti) >> Three wishes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm) >> Three pieces of equipment with no cost limit

Please don't use this if the DM dislikes cheese, however...

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 03:22 PM
okay so top rankings are the

Weapon familer

anti mage weapon

and the relic

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 06:20 PM
Depends on the build. Some things are more valuable to certain builds.

For example, an ubercharger gets a TON of value out of Valorous, but if you aren't built to charging, it's nearly worthless.

Data, data, data Mr. Watson. I cannot build bricks without clay.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 06:33 PM

For example, an ubercharger gets a TON of value out of Valorous, but if you aren't built to charging, it's nearly worthless.

Chargers find Smoking (lords of darkness, +1 cost) to be useful.
Drop your AC to 2, and the enemy still has a 20% miss chance, even on crits. (It's useless on movement based AOOs though)

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 06:45 PM

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 07:03 PM
Chargers find Smoking (lords of darkness, +1 cost) to be useful.
Drop your AC to 2, and the enemy still has a 20% miss chance, even on crits. (It's useless on movement based AOOs though)

Not really. Karmic Strike... go ahead, hit me. I promise my return hit will be more painful, since my PA bonuses are still active until my next turn.

With a build like that, it doesn't really matter what weapon you've got... that's a lot to overcome.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 07:06 PM
haha why do you say that is nearly full BAB besides -1 attack roll.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 07:10 PM
haha why do you say that is nearly full BAB besides -1 attack roll.

I could say the same for the NPC class Warrior. It doesn't mean it's going to be able to effectively contribute.

Heck, I could also say the same for Fighter and CWar Samurai, for that matter.

There's a lot more to being effective than BAB.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 07:54 PM
so i have to be super optimized now to roleplay?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 08:14 PM
so i have to be super optimized now to roleplay?

I'm just saying that no weapon, no matter how powerful, can overcome a basic character design concept which runs counter to the word 'powerful'. Sure, you can roleplay all you like, but unless everyone is at that level of optimization, you will almost certainly find yourself unable to meaningfully contribute in combat. And if everyone else in the party is at that level of optimization, then such a weapon would tip the balance unfairly in your favor. Either way, not particularly enjoyable for many people.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 08:16 PM
Hmm what would you suggest then, if i wanted the same feel that has?

would do grey gaurd, but I understand it is equal to the shadowbane anyways

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 08:19 PM
Hmm what would you suggest then, if i wanted the same feel that has?

What 'feel' do you want? There's lots of ways to go about doing it, depending on what it is you want to do, and what materials and resources you have available.

I once had a ten-plus page thread which pretty much was 'give me your concept, and I'll give you a mechanically viable way of doing that'. I wouldn't mind giving some advice here.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 08:25 PM
Well, I know some folks consider it batman when doing shadowbane, just wanting something that is not the a-typical paliden. Why I was looking at the weapon familer, to do the full bit of keeping my character from going into the "dark side"

Really am looking for the mechanical aspects that come from being world weary, even if arch typical, just not wanting you know warlock or such, and cant go pure caster.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 08:40 PM
Well, I know some folks consider it batman when doing shadowbane, just wanting something that is not the a-typical paliden. Why I was looking at the weapon familer, to do the full bit of keeping my character from going into the "dark side"

Really am looking for the mechanical aspects that come from being world weary, even if arch typical, just not wanting you know warlock or such, and cant go pure caster.

World weary, a bit of a 'dark knight' but basically good underneath? A Knight in Sour Armor, perhaps? I think I can handle that

Is Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Battle on your list of allowed resources? If so, I could very easily see Incarnate1/Crusader4/Ironsoul Forgemaster.

Soulmelds give them some interesting abilities without stepping into the boring and bland invocations of Warlock or anything really resembling casting. And Ironsoul Forgemaster is both Dwarfy and Worldy. Actually, Crusader is exceptionally 'worldly', and fits the 'Knight in Sour Armor' perfectly. The maneuvers are also highly valuable to you, giving you options in combat other than 'hit something with my sword'.

If you do use Ironsoul Forgemaster, you can also go traditional axe and shield, since your shield can give your energy resistance, and there are Crusader maneuvers which use shields. Armor Bond + Adamantine heavy armor = DR 8/-, which can help against myriads of mooks attempting to maul you.

If you don't want to use Meldshaping, you can always go straight Crusader. Your backstory being 'I was once a Hero like you, then I opened my eyes and saw what a crapsack world I was stuck in'. It really does lend itself to someone trying to do good, but in a somewhat darker fashion. You won't fall by looking sideways at an innocent civilian, for example.

If you do want to use Paladin, go Paladin2/Crusader3/Grey Guard. The PrC Grey Guard practically defines 'world weary paladin who delivers truth and justice in his OWN manner'.

Any of these options are mechanically more powerful than the setup you have listed.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 08:47 PM
“How’re we supposed to see the pally comin’ when ’e wears armor
blacker than ours?”
—Griv “Goblin Father” Chos, unfortunate cultist guard

and ty for your advice, ill look into it and yes we can use TOB but why is grey guard better then shadowbane?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 08:51 PM
“How’re we supposed to see the pally comin’ when ’e wears armor
blacker than ours?”
—Griv “Goblin Father” Chos, unfortunate cultist guard

and ty for your advice, ill look into it and yes we can use TOB but why is grey guard better then shadowbane?

Because you don't risk losing the majority of your class abilities because your GM decided that failing to suicide on a Balor rather than finding a more clever way out means you just fell.

Also because of actually relevant class abilities.

Also because my build only uses 2 levels of Paladin, not 6. Paladin is good for two, maybe three levels. Anything more than that, and you might as well be stacking in levels of Warrior.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 08:52 PM
Hmm sounds maybe like id become a blackguard lol.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 08:53 PM
what are your thoughts, on shadowbane stalker?

Keld Denar
2012-07-25, 08:54 PM
I dunno, his build isn't THAT bad. Underdark Knight or Charging Smite variants are fun, and Turn Undead used to power Law Devotion with a nice 2hander to channel PA into is passing fair. I'd probably shave off one level of Paladin if you aren't planning on using the CMage ACF to get Break Enchantment in place of Remove Disease. Tack on Staggering Strike, and if he gets his SA damage along with his PA damage, he'll hit for a number that is hopefully too high to save against for a nice debuff. Put a Wandchamber in your Waraxe (Dungeonscape) with a wand of Rhino's Rush for some on demand charge action. Oh, and you'll want to be a Gold Dwarf from PGtF. Its a normal dwarf by all respects except that you swap your -2 Cha for a -2 Dex, which benefits your Paladinlyness much better.

Amazing? No. Decent? Yes. Incompetent? No.

EDIT: Paladin 4 is pretty awesome. Lots and lots and lots of things can be powered by Turn Undead. Having it is better than not having it. Past 4 though...

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-25, 08:55 PM
Hmm sounds maybe like id become a blackguard lol.

Nah, not a Blackguard. You aren't evil, you just live in a world where you recognize that not all morality is black and white, merely shades of grey.

You haven't sold your soul to evil, you've merely recognized that in order to serve the greater good, you will inevitably have to get your hands stained.

So if the only way to get this scum to tell you where the keys holding innocent civilians are is to start with the fingertips and work your way down the hand, joint by joint... so be it. He's due for a death sentence anyways, anything you could do to him will pale before what he receives after you kill him.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 09:31 PM
eh screw it, went into war priest instead and cleric