PDA

View Full Version : Can Dwarfs use a large dwarven waraxe?

silverwolfer
2012-07-24, 10:29 PM
So racial, can use it one handed..

If make it large, can he use it two handed?

VGLordR2
2012-07-24, 10:45 PM
Yes, with the normal penalty for wielding oversized weapons.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-24, 11:28 PM
Strongarm bracers (MiC) let you fight with a weapon one size too large without penalty.
Gold/Platinum weapons (MoF) give you weapons the same physical size as normal, but they hit as if one size bigger. Making them of gold makes them [Heavy] which makes them an automatic exotic, even if a non-[Heavy] weapon is a martial/simple weapon with which you are proficient.
Skillful weapons (C.Arc) make you automatically proficient with that particular weapon. So if you're dual-wielding non-proficient weapons, you need to make both of them Skillful. +1 cost. (Doesn't do anything about size penalties)

So you can buy a Large Gold dwarven waraxe. And hits like it's huge, 3d8. If you can net another size increase, it'll be 4d8.

Augmental
2012-07-24, 11:37 PM
Gold/Platinum weapons (MoF) give you weapons the same physical size as normal, but they hit as if one size bigger. Making them of gold makes them [Heavy] which makes them an automatic exotic, even if a non-[Heavy] weapon is a martial/simple weapon with which you are proficient.

Ironically, in real life, platinum is denser than gold. If you want a really heavy weapon, go for osmium - it also has a Mohs hardness of 7 compared to gold's 2.5, so it can make effective slashing and piercing weapons.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 12:15 AM
Ironically, in real life, platinum is denser than gold. If you want a really heavy weapon, go for osmium - it also has a Mohs hardness of 7 compared to gold's 2.5, so it can make effective slashing and piercing weapons.Great, you've killed catgirls with chemistry.
In MoF, platinum and gold are treated interchangeably when making weapons. The only difference is color.

Besides, isn't Osmium toxic? Kinda hard to learn to forge it, when you need a remove poison spell every half hour.

Augmental
2012-07-25, 12:37 AM
Besides, isn't Osmium toxic? Kinda hard to learn to forge it, when you need a remove poison spell every half hour.

I don't see anything on Wikipedia about it being toxic. Osmium tetroxide is toxic, but unless you powder Osmium, you won't be getting any of that.

Uhtred
2012-07-25, 09:06 AM
Ironically, in real life, platinum is denser than gold. If you want a really heavy weapon, go for osmium - it also has a Mohs hardness of 7 compared to gold's 2.5, so it can make effective slashing and piercing weapons.

It specifically says in MoF that the gold and platinum are alchemically treated and alloyed, addressing that while both are heavy, they are typically soft. The treatment process removes the "I just whacked an Orc with my battleaxe and need to see a goldsmith immediately" property that would happen in real life if you hit a steel-armored fellow with a gold weapon. It also charges you by the damage die, which reminds you that yes, you're buying a weapon made essentially of currency. But it makes as good a slashing or piercing weapon as it does bludgeoning, and it does all three better than a steel weapon.

So you can buy a Large Gold dwarves waraxe. And hits like it's huge, 3d8. If you can net another size increase,, it'll be 4d8..

My DM ruled that Enlarge Weapon, a spell from Complete Scoundrel, could be Permanenced like an Enlarge Person spell. You'd automatically be proficient, and it would increase another size for you. If you have feats to burn, then Monkey Grip is around and can be offset by having money to burn and making the waraxe a +2.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-25, 10:29 AM
Except that this is... you know. A DMG-only-items game. Just saying.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 11:27 AM

And we know that how?

Uhtred
2012-07-25, 11:32 AM
Yeah, just read through. How would we know that? The original post never said.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-25, 11:32 AM
Cause all the stuff Silver has been asking about for the past few days has been for a play by post game on myth weavers restricted to DMG only items.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 12:44 PM
Cause all the stuff Silver has been asking about for the past few days has been for a play by post game on myth weavers restricted to DMG only items.

So people only play in one pbp game at a time?

Boci
2012-07-25, 12:56 PM

So we where meant to go to their profile and read all their posts to know this?

For future reference silverwolfer (if Gavinfoxx is right about the limitations of the game) you need to include them in the opening post. So yes you can wield a large dwarven waraxe, increasing the average damage from 5.5 to 9. So you are loosing the ability to wield a shield or second weapon in your offhand for -2 to hit and +3.5 damage, which probably isn't worth it. But your character, your choice.

I'd say a better idea would be a greataxe. You would lose 2.5 points of damage, but you would also lose the attack penalty.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-25, 01:58 PM
So people only play in one pbp game at a time?

From these threads, he's said he's playing
A) a knight
B) a dwarf
C) in the Underdark
D) with a two-handed weapon.

Now I might be wrong, but I believe that concept combination is somewhere between "valid" and "stereotype".

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 02:13 PM
From these threads, he's said he's playing
A) a knight
B) a dwarf
C) in the Underdark
D) with a two-handed weapon.

Now I might be wrong, but I believe that concept combination is somewhere between "valid" and "stereotype".

There's also a spell-thief paladin thread. DMG only items. But prestige classes from other books. An unusual set of rules.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-25, 02:15 PM
There's also a spell-thief paladin thread. DMG only items. But prestige classes from other books. An unusual set of rules.

He didn't say his class was knight.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 02:31 PM
So we where meant to go to their profile and read all their posts to know this?

For future reference silverwolfer (if Gavinfoxx is right about the limitations of the game) you need to include them in the opening post. So yes you can wield a large dwarven waraxe, increasing the average damage from 5.5 to 9. So you are loosing the ability to wield a shield or second weapon in your offhand for -2 to hit and +3.5 damage, which probably isn't worth it. But your character, your choice.

I'd say a better idea would be a greataxe. You would lose 2.5 points of damage, but you would also lose the attack penalty.

For future referential, the only part folks have to worry about, is what I ask, not what someone else says is a limit on something :) What i ask the dm is differences then what a fellow player has said :p

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 02:33 PM
He didn't say his class was knight.

rogue/palaiden/shadowbane inquistor

Boci
2012-07-25, 02:35 PM
For future referential, the only part folks have to worry about, is what I ask, not what someone else says is a limit on something :) What i ask the dm is differences then what a fellow player has said :p

You still need to say what books you have access to. It ensures you will get the best answers possible.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 02:45 PM
You still need to say what books you have access to. It ensures you will get the best answers possible.

This thread was about a dwarf axe size...the thread that this matters in , is the competition , and had no restrictions.

Boci
2012-07-25, 02:50 PM
This thread was about a dwarf axe size...the thread that this matters in , is the competition , and had no restrictions.

If it truly has no restrictions then you should still say so. Without a word on the subject people will tend to assume a wider range is available, but it helps to clear up things. Desired optimization level is another thing worth mentioning, and again, if that doesn't matter then mention that.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-25, 03:00 PM

And when it turns out that using a large one is suboptimal, people start getting into weapon materials, enchantments, magic items, feats...

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 03:18 PM
If it truly has no restrictions then you should still say so. Without a word on the subject people will tend to assume a wider range is available, but it helps to clear up things. Desired optimization level is another thing worth mentioning, and again, if that doesn't matter then mention that.

Why is it suddenly my fault for you thinking about invisible restrictions. I NEVER said anything about restrictions. Someoen who ISNT the op spoke up, so why are you listening to someone who ISNT the op?

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 03:20 PM

NovemberFire

spinner of yarns
Today, 7:50pm
Re: Dmg only items?
No that would be OK silverwolfer. Specific things are OK by request only and that would fit well

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer
So i saw your dmg only comment, would this include a ban on item Familiars?

Was thinking of it as a jimmeny cricket for my shadowbane inquistor

Boci
2012-07-25, 03:25 PM
Why is it suddenly my fault for you thinking about invisible restrictions.

Its not your fault, but the whole thing could have been avoided by you mentioning that there were no restrictions (and no specific optimization level) that needed to be considered.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-25, 05:37 PM
Why is it suddenly my fault for you thinking about invisible restrictions. I NEVER said anything about restrictions. Someoen who ISNT the op spoke up, so why are you listening to someone who ISNT the op?
In a continuance of my first post, since there's no restrictions.
A couple levels of Psychic warrior with the power psi expansion can net you two size increases.
Or if homebrew is allowed, there's a set of reworked Stone Dragon stances/maneuvers created by someone called Endarire here on the forums. One of the stances, if you have enough ranks in balance, lets you hit/grapple as if you were a larger creature. I think it raises your effective size by 3 categories. Meaning with the large gold weapon, you'll be hitting with a Colossal+ or Colossal++ weapon. And yes, the stance does stack with enlarge person and psi.expansion.

silverwolfer
2012-07-25, 06:09 PM
Its not your fault, but the whole thing could have been avoided by you mentioning that there were no restrictions (and no specific optimization level) that needed to be considered.

:s it was stated, becuase I DIDNT say their was a limit, i just asked a question lol

Curmudgeon
2012-07-25, 06:44 PM
You'll have to get DM approval to use those materials, since they don't work with 3.5 rules. Magic of Faerūn is a 3.0 book, and those materials alter the 3.0 weapon size rules. (In the normal 3.0 system, all weapons only come in one size. If you're a smaller character then a dagger might be a 2-handed weapon for you, and if you're a larger character then a greatsword might be a light weapon for you. But 3.5 D&D did away with 3.0 weapon sizes entirely; instead, you have creature sizes and every weapon comes in all the sizes to fit those creatures.) So special materials which alter rules which don't exist will really need some DM work before you can think about bringing them into a 3.5 game.