PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 PH2 feats: X weapon mastery:Y

GenghisDon
2012-07-25, 11:06 AM
Anyone know if the (obviously needed) errata/clarification for the figher (or PRC) feats melee weapon mastery & ranged weapon mastery was ever put out?

The listing says they grant WF & WSP benefits to a class of weapons (melee slashing or ranged piercing, for examples), but the feat description gives a much better advantage: +2 to hit & damage with all weapons of class X. Presumably this would stack with WF & WSP for the weapon used to meet the pre-req's.

Wether or not there was errata, which version do you use at your table?

Diarmuid
2012-07-25, 12:48 PM
Just looking at MWM, I'm not really sure where the confusion is coming from.

You have to have WF and WS in a weapon to take the feat. You then choose a damage type your WF and WS weapon can deal (potentially more than one for something like a mace: B&P).

When you make attacks with any weapon that deals that type of damage, you get +2 hit/dmg.

There is nothing stating that if you're using your WF/WS weapon that you would stop getting the +1/+2 you'd already be getting. They are unnamed bonuses granted by different sources and would summarily stack just fine.

So if you have WF/WS in Warhammer, and then take MWM:B, you would be +3 to hit and +4 to damage with your warhammer, and +2/+2 with any other Bludgeoning weapon.

Edit - A quick read of the Ranged version seems it would work pretty much same.

Edit2 - Ok, I see what you're asking now. The table has a brief description that somewhat describes what the feat does. Text always trumps Table, use the actual description listed in the Feat.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-25, 03:41 PM
Yeah, the short table descriptions are very frequently wrong. Always check the actual text of the feat or spell to see what it really does.

MrLemon
2012-07-25, 04:07 PM
The question is already answered, but just for completeness:
The Errata of the PHB2 explicitly verifies the stacking of Focus,Spec and Mastery

GenghisDon
2012-07-25, 07:01 PM
thanks all!

where is that errata found BTW? I've never seen it!

So PH2 really IS trying hard to save/fix fighters, eh? melee or ranged weapon mastery are pretty good L8 feats! They make GWF look as sad as it is, eh?

Roguenewb
2012-07-25, 09:13 PM
Yeah, but the only think they're worth it on is a level 9 imperious command powered dungeoncrasher zhentarim fighter.

ericgrau
2012-07-25, 09:49 PM
It's no shocktrooper but it is serious power creep compared to anything else ya. Roughly 20% more damage overall from just 1 feat vs. 7% or less for most other feats. Heck even a super damage build could benefit from tacking on auto-hitting using this and/or other methods to hit.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-26, 05:15 AM
where is that errata found BTW? I've never seen it!

It's right there with all the rest of them: Official D&D Updates (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)

GenghisDon
2012-07-26, 07:14 AM
Damn, that's odd, I couldn't see/find it before. 'Doh!

It's quite different in the text box from the description line.

The desc line just gives versatility (turn your WF & WSP X into WF or WSP blungeon, piercing or slashing melee or missle weapon).

I don't think EITHER would be a bad feat myself.

Either way, the feat's existance implies there is/would be something like:

Melee Weapon Grand Mastery: prof, WF, WSP, GWF, GWSP, MWM, BAB+16: gain GWF & GWSP benefits with multiple weapons

Melee Weapon Grand Mastery

You have mastered a range of weapons to the highest degree. Your training with both a specific weapon and others of a simular sort far surpasses even most skilled warriors.

Benefit: another +2 hit/dam, with weapons of the same type of damage...you know the drill. Keeps the same ambiguous BS going too! hee!

(ranged version picks up another +20 range increment, otherwise is the same)

And

EPIC Melee Weapon Mastery: prof, WF, WSP, GWF, GWSP, MWM, EWF, EWSP BAB+28: gain EWF & EWSP benefits with multiple weapons

(actually another +2/+2, ranged version gets another +20 RI; or perhaps +3/+3 or even +4/+4?)

The Glyphstone
2012-07-26, 08:22 AM
Epic Melee Weapon Mastery: prof, WF, WSP, GWF, GWSP, MWM, EWF, EWSP BAB+28: Gain +9001 to hit and +9001 to damage with your chosen melee weapon type. Actually, take +9 million to both, since we both know you're still outclassed by the wizard with Epic Spellcasting. It's okay, therapy groups are on Tuesdays at 4.

GenghisDon
2012-07-26, 11:55 AM
LOL

...still, one could just not use epic spell casting if that's all the "fix" it took. Not every option needs be used in every game.