PDA

View Full Version : Disguise?

Azernak0
2012-07-25, 12:20 PM
Just a quick question:

Would I need to roll a disguise in order to impersonate a police officer if I had an actual police uniform? It doesn't really make much sense to have to roll a disguise check if I am not impersonating anyone specific and have an actual uniform.

falloutimperial
2012-07-25, 12:35 PM
Most likely. A disguise isn't just what you wear, it also involves how you carry yourself, body language, and other nuances that fall under the disguise skill.

Gorfnod
2012-07-25, 12:59 PM
Most likely. A disguise isn't just what you wear, it also involves how you carry yourself, body language, and other nuances that fall under the disguise skill.

Agreed.

When wearing the uniform you could probably stand around a crowded street or walk through a store without making any checks and most people would just assume that you are a police officer. However as soon as you tried to interogate a prisoner, one that is familiar with the penal system, or speak to another cop then a disguise check may be in order depending on the DM.

Your actions may not give off the authority of a cop or may be inconsistent with normal protocol and thus give away that you aren't really who you seem to be. This is where disguise and bluff start to play a role.

ericgrau
2012-07-25, 02:06 PM
By RAW people don't get a disguise check unless they're suspicious, on watch, know the guy or etc. So not only will a police officer uniform fool the general population without any rolls, any disguise will. But the moment you walk past a real police officer, it's time to roll spot and disguise.

5 ranks in bluff give a +2 to disguise checks to act in character, which implies that only disguise is rolled and not bluff when attempting to act in character.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-25, 02:50 PM
I agree with the above posters, but I'd like to add this: Go ahead and roll the disguise check as soon as you don the disguise. Unless your DM is too predictable for words, you'll never know when that disguise check might become relevant, and it's better to just get it out of the way. Also remember that, according to RAW, the DM makes both the disguise check, and the spot check(s) to oppose it in secret. Only one disguise check per disguise.