PDA

View Full Version : Never thought Kobolds would be so much fun to play

Invader
2012-07-25, 06:10 PM
I'm almost always a human in every campaign I play. There's the odd dwarf or elf here and there but by and large its always humans.

In the most recent campaign I'm in the DM wanted only core races but I convinced him to let me play a Kobold DFA (Ak'hiss Kikkik). Breaking from most of the stereotypes for kobolds, I'm playing him as a very inquisitive, almost childish type character. You might say like a Kender from Dragon Lance.

So far he's fearlessly walked into every cave, abandoned hunting shack, and back alley we've come across before any of the other characters have had a chance to stop him more because it's there and he wants to explore and find shiny things than he's actually trying to get something accomplished. At first level he passed up a room full of armor and weapons but pounced on a bunch of utensils he found in a draw. He successfully swipe a large blue gem from the party's fighter without really trying to be sneaky and didn't hesitate to start examining it in front of everyone. He's spent the better part of two days trying to get a magical scroll tube open (he doesn't let on that he know it's sealed magically).

One of my favorite tricks so far was when he used his breath weapon on a big group of undead and an acolyte and then used his benign transposition SLA to switch places with the party's cleric without letting him know what was going on.

The best part is, secretly he's incredibly intelligent (Int 19) and is just playing a part because he's unfamiliar with the other party members. I wish that I could say that I have some grand plan for having him act the way I do but to be honest it's just because it's fun and at least a couple of the other players think he's great lol.

This might end up being the most fun character I've ever played :smallbiggrin:

Amoren
2012-07-26, 01:56 AM
Kobolds are definitely awesome, and that's not even with using the cheese that's around for them (I've only played one dragonwrought kobold, and that starting as a young adult as a rogue, sticking with the interpretation that he's a normal dragon, but man is that dagger-wielding back stabber nice). My first rogue was in 4th edition, who became the prototype for the rogue character I'm playing now. He was a dwarven slave who wielded sharpened kitchen utensils as a weapon. :D