PDA

View Full Version : Direction with spells for Sublime Chord, please

danzibr
2012-07-25, 07:32 PM
So I decided to go pure caster recently, so to speak. I'm currently level 9 in a campaign, and my DM rules it so that we can satisfy the prereq's for a PrC *as* we enter it, so I can go SC level 10.

I've been looking at a ton of suggestions for spells, namely the lists from here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God), but man, there are so many options and I'm a big noob. Any guidance/suggestions?

It's worth mentioning I'm the party's primary (well, only) arcane caster, skill monkey, and the primary buffer. Other members are a Favored Soul, Fighter and Barbarian.

Snowbluff
2012-07-25, 08:19 PM
As general advice, try and get yourself some variety.

I'm a big fan of Celerity, personally.

The Bite of X spells are pretty good buffing spells.

Evard's Black Tentacles are pretty sweet, as well, but that's a rather generic suggestion.

LadyLexi
2012-07-25, 08:21 PM
I like picking up a little bit of blasting or AoE debuff as a sublime chord. Disintegrate is a good pick, with no other casters Teleport or Greater Teleport can be helpful to your party too.

You have more wiggle room than true wizards, so use it. You don't need 2 spells that do the same thing, so stay versatile. Avasculate(sp?) is a good high level pick for taking down the big bad.

Keld Denar
2012-07-25, 09:03 PM
Look at the Bard5/6 levels. Bards get a few spells quicker than Wizards, and you are getting them quicker than a Bard would. Of note, Greater Dispel Magic at 5th level is a steal, as is Heroes Feast at 6 and Otto's Irresistible Dance at 6.

Darrin
2012-07-26, 08:56 AM
How about...

4th:
Break enchantment - a good multi-purpose can-opener
Freedom of movement - GET IT. GET IT NOW.
Evard's hentai collection - the quintessential encounter-ender
Enervation - gold standard for debuffing, gets even better with metamagic
Solid fog - battlefield control, helps isolate and shut down meatbags

Also good picks: Polymorph, lesser globe of invulnerability, celerity, ruin delver's fortune, vortex of teeth

5th:
Greater dispel magic
Teleport
Daltim's fiery tentacles (Shining South) - all the tentacle-rape of Evard's, plus fire damage
Flesh to salt (Sandstorm) - no-save untyped damage + Fort save to turn target into loot

Also: Mislead, earth reaver.

6th:
Heroes' feast - cures/immunizes a bunch of stuff
Otto's irresistable dance - do the Hustle.
Scalding Mud (Sandstorm) - the "doesn't suck" version of transmute rock to lava/deadly lahar
Kyristan's malevolent tentacles (Shining South) - Evard's + Fort save vs. level drain

Also: Shallantha's delicate disk (Lost Empires of Faerun) - create spell-storing grenades up to 5th level, contingency, globe of invulnerability

7th:
Acid fog - it tastes like burning!
Arcane spellsurge (Dragon Magic) - Quicken Spell on steroids
Mass flesh to salt (Sandstorm) - even more loot!

Also: Energy transformation field (Spell Compendium) - turn one eyeball into Tippyverse.

8th:
Mind blank - never get dominated again
Polymorph any object - turn into a beholder, then turn your enemies into sunglasses... because you can.
Greater arcane fusion (Complete Mage) - Have your cake and eat it, too.

9th:
Wish - I want a pony!
Frostfell (Frostburn) - when you absolutely, positively must turn everything around you into a corpsicle.

Also: the usual... gate, shapechange, etc.

danzibr
2012-07-26, 06:47 PM
Ooh, thanks for the help all. Yeah, getting those high level Bard spells early sure is nice...

Sublime Chord also gets quite a few (but not too many! At least for me) spells known. Totally know what I'll get now, thanks.

And by that I mean... a bit of everything, primarily buffing and battlefield control rather than blasting.

danzibr
2012-07-27, 06:53 AM
I also ought to ask... what would be a good level 9 feat? I was thinking of taking Obtain Familiar, then Improved Familiar at 9.

Right now I have Melodic Casting, DFI, Lingering Song, Words of Creation and Song of the Heart.

Or maybe I should take some metamagic feat. Hmm.