PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Lycanthrope Shock Trooper Creation Help Requested

Kamikun
2012-07-25, 09:58 PM
Hey guys!
I'm attempting to make a 12th level Lycanthrope Shock Trooper.
I've decided to use Werewolf for the Lycanthrope template for the Trip ability, and I've decided to use Fighter as the class (just overall easy to work with, and it's not like the character needs to be min/maxed to the point of oblivion).
However, I'm pretty terrible at creating characters with 2 forms, especially Lycanthropes, and I've never made a Shock Trooper before.
The base race is Human, and the starting stats are a modified elite array (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10)
Is there anything in particular that I need be careful of when making this character? Are there any suggestions (feats, weapons, etc) that you guys can give?
Thanks very much!
If there's any points that require clarification, please let me know immediately!

Jack_Simth
2012-07-26, 07:22 AM
Well, there are the obvious feats:
Power Attack
Shock Trooper
Leap Attack

And supporting feats, like Leap of the Heavens, Cleave, and Great Cleave.

Ideally, also pick up one of the ways to make a full attack at the end of a charge - like the Lion Totem Barbarian alternate class feature in Complete Champion page 46. A one level dip will do you.

Then, of course, there's the question of just how optimal you want this guy. A few levels in Frenzied Berserker will increase your power attack multiplier, your strength, AND will eventually net you Supreme Cleave (lets you take a 5-foot step between Cleave attacks). Note that there's also a 3.0 feat, Supreme Cleave, that some DMs might let you use.

It might be more beneficial to use an old afflicted lycanthrope, rather than a natural lycanthrope. There are really only three differences:
1) Whether or not it's infectious (no for afflicted, yes for natural)
2) Amount of DR in animal or Hybrid form (DR 5/Silver for afflicted, DR 10/Silver for natural)
3) Alignment (constantly risks being forced to the animal form's alignment for afflicted, doesn't risk it for natural).

Kamikun
2012-07-26, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I knew about Frenzied Berserker, which was probably where I was going to put any leftover class levels, but the main problem was making sure that I had enough feats from the Fighter levels to pull off a decent shock trooper build.
So, assuming I want a CL of 12, that's 10 levels of whatever, plus the Lycanthrope template. As a human, he gets a bonus feat at first level. Let's say I need 8 feats to be able to do the build "decently" (as a rough estimate). That would mean that I could achieve the build with 3 bonus feats (4 levels of fighter), ergo, a Ftr 4/Lion Tot Barb 1/Fren Berz 5 should achieve a semi-optimal character, right?
Also, why would it be more beneficial to go for afflicted? The 3 differences that you listed, I can't see any reason to go afflicted over natural except that you would avoid risks of infecting anyone you hit by accident.

GeekGirl
2012-07-26, 10:48 AM
Martial study: Wall of Blades. Use a counter attack instead of AC. Very nice for the turn after you charge. Or a level of Warblade for it. Assuming ToB is allowed in your game.

Kamikun
2012-07-26, 11:07 AM
Wait, I forgot all about the Frenzied Berserker entry feats. I'd need a few more fighter bonus feats to work those feats into a shock trooper build, and by that point, I'd get so few levels of Frenzied Berserker I don't know if it's worth it.
And I'll look into Warblade, thank you! :)

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I knew about Frenzied Berserker, which was probably where I was going to put any leftover class levels, but the main problem was making sure that I had enough feats from the Fighter levels to pull off a decent shock trooper build.
So, assuming I want a CL of 12, that's 10 levels of whatever, plus the Lycanthrope template. As a human, he gets a bonus feat at first level. Let's say I need 8 feats to be able to do the build "decently" (as a rough estimate). That would mean that I could achieve the build with 3 bonus feats (4 levels of fighter), ergo, a Ftr 4/Lion Tot Barb 1/Fren Berz 5 should achieve a semi-optimal character, right?
Also, why would it be more beneficial to go for afflicted? The 3 differences that you listed, I can't see any reason to go afflicted over natural except that you would avoid risks of infecting anyone you hit by accident.

Afflicted is LA +2, Natural is LA +3. You'd be spending a level on some very minor abilities.

You left out the Wolf Hit Dice. You need at least two levels for those, more if you're going for Dire Wolf or something.

In general if you feel uneasy with shapeshifting and/or building monstrous characters, my Monster Guide (link in sig) is a good resource.

Kamikun
2012-07-26, 11:19 AM
Oh, thank you! I didn't realize that wolf HD required "levels" as well.
That may make it worth it, then.
I'll check out your guide. I think I've got shapeshifting down (played a druid for many years) but I'm still not too great and making characters with templates like this.
At this rate, it may be best just to go straight fighter, except for a 1 level dip or two, like Jack_Simth or GeekGirl suggested.