PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Arim II (IC)

Keylac
2012-07-25, 10:51 PM
The Kingdom of Arim has recently fought a war against the neighboring Kingdom of Mizan. The war lasted barely a year, and was ended by the only major engagement, the Battle of Cold River. While Arim won the battle and the war, it gained little in the peace treaty which followed, leaving many to label it a hollow victory. Many of the common folk were left confused, unsure why Mizan had attacked the kingdom.

After the war, many soldiers, both regulars and conscripts, were discharged from the army without pay. Lacking either pay or the loot of a successful war, these former soldiers are now growing destitute. Many are becoming desperate and may turn to crime, from simple banditry to joining criminal organizations, in order to survive.

Times are not yet dark, but people's confidence in the steady course of the Kingdom has been shaken.

You are affected as well. You currently reside in the City of Kerist, and your purse seems to grow lighter by the day. If something doesn't change soon, you may be forced to leave the city to find opportunity elsewhere.

It is with this knowledge weighing on you that you take the parchment a temple ward hands you. It seems you have received a message from a Captain Kavaren. The Captain, a respected soldier before the war, was discharged from of the army after losing his arm defending against a flank attack at Cold River. Now, he asks for your aid...

The City of Kerist, in the Duchy of Kerist, Kingdom of Arim.
14th day of Blooming, 792.

The cool morning of late spring is already on the wane as you break the wax seal on the note the boy handed you. Unrolling it, you tilt it towards the light to read.

I Greet You, Stranger.

My name is Ryn Kavaren, once Captain in the King's Army.
I realize that you do not know me, anymore than I know you. What I do know is: when I asked a friend in the guard for a favor, he gave me your name. You see, I asked him who in town he would consider formidable. I am in need of such people.
I have recently come into some information that may lead to a large amount of wealth, at least as we measure it. It is imperative that I discover if this information is accurate, but I fear I cannot find out myself. I am still weak from injuries, and, were I recovered, still would I be unable to wield a sword.
I can promise nothing, but I ask that you come to the Cathedral of Krin, at 10th Bell, there to meet with me.

Krin's Blessings upon you,

Ryn Kavaren, Captain (Ret.)

The note isn't long, but it's plea is earnest, and something in it calls to you. Perhaps the potential for glory, the siren song of fame, or the hint of wealth. Perhaps you are moved by a desire to help a man, a good man by all reports, struck down by misfortune. Or perhaps it is the lure of adventure. Only you could say, but you find yourself checking the position of the sun, feet turning in the direction of the cathedral.

The Cathedral of Krin in Kerist is perhaps the most majestic building in the city. The triple spires, each one housing the largest bells in Kerist, rise high above, seeming to pierce the sky. Cleverly fitted stone without mortar makes up the entire construction, and beautiful stained glass windows line the walls.

For all it's beauty, the Cathedral is still a simple place. No precious metals reflect the sun from those towers, only the common brass of the bells. No gems encrust the walls, only the plain stone of masons. Even the windows, though ornate, show simple scenes of farmers and craftsmen, common guardsmen and foresters, not kings and lords. Yet, it has a presence that far outweighs mere gold and glitter, an aura of peace and safety, that reaches out even to non-believers.

Upon entering the cathedral, you're greeted by the quiet ringing of bells, clear notes, yet almost seeming hushed. The interior is bathed in gorgeous color from sunlight streaming through the windows and well illuminated by magical globes of golden light. Priests move about their tasks, while worshipers, scattered among the wooden benches, pray softly, ringing their bells.

The Captain - recognizable by his missing arm - is standing in the back, leaning against the wall. He is tall, with light brown hair to match his light brown eyes, like most Arimites. His frame, once well muscled, has weakened as of late, but he remains fit. But his face...

Momentarily unguarded, his face shows the despair which has been growing within him since Cold River. Eyes closed, his lips move slowly in a silent prayer while his his left arm unconsciously rubs the stump of his right. When he finishes, he bows his head for a moment, concealing his face.

When he raises it, banished is the despair. The face that turns to you is calm and clear-eyed; the face of a soldier and leader of soldiers. A movement of still powerful shoulders leaves him standing erect, and he moves over to a small table. He motions you to join him, in a gesture that includes maybe a half-dozen others. When you've all gathered around the table, he speaks in a clear baritone; softly, but you can tell his voice is trained to carry in battle.

“Thank you for coming. I apologize for not meeting you in a tavern, where we could hoist a drink. I'm afraid I live here for the moment, in the infirmary, and the priests don't wish for me to leave yet.” He pauses for a moment, meeting the eyes of each person gathered round the table. Satisfied by what he see's there, he continues. “Let me tell you a story.”

“During the war, I met a fellow, another officer. He claimed his grandfather was the last Captain of the Guard for the old Barons of Ashe Wood, before that line died out. After the last barons death, his title and all his wealth were turned over to the Baron of Stallman, including the estate here in Kerist. There was a second estate though, up in the Ashe Wood; the Baron's modest hunting lodge.”

Here a bark of harsh, almost rusty laughter. “Modest Hunting Lodge indeed. Having heard of the Ashe Wood's, it's probably bigger than the Duke's palace! Still, it was looted before Stallman could take possession of it, and he left it to rot. Turns out, the looters may have missed something. This fellow had a map, showing a treasure room hidden in the basement, and a key to open it. He claimed he got them from his grandfather.”

From his vest, he draws forth a folded piece of parchment and a large iron key, laying them on a table next to him. “He died just before Cold River, without any heirs, and I managed to retrieve the map and key when his gear defaulted to the army. What I need from you is to go and retrieve any valuables in the vault. In exchange, you can keep half the value of the contents, and anything else you may find along the way.”

He stops, staring down at the key, idly spinning it around. After a few seconds, he looks back up at you.

“It may not be true of course, though I've prayed to Krin daily since I awoke that it is. All I can offer you for your assistance is the share of the vault... and this. I called in one of my last favors to get it.” With that, he extracts a piece of parchment from his vest. Paper rustles as he places it on the table, unrolling it to display the seal of the Duke of Kerist. After a glance at you, his eyes drop to it and begins to read.

Let it be known that the bearer of this charter has been granted, by the Duke of Kerist, acting in all things in the name of His Majesty the King, Rahjyis the IV, and in all things for the good of the Kingdom of Arim, the right to adventure within the borders of the Duchy of Kerist.
The Bearer, and any Companions, are hereby charged with protecting the Duchy in the manner they see fit, acting always to Protect the Duchy, Maintain the Laws, and Uphold the Righteousness of Krin. So signed by His Grace, Lord Akos Tarsin, Duke of Kerist, and witnessed by His Excellency, Bishop Eridan, Bishop of Kerist, under the sight of Krin.

Coming to the end, he pauses a moment, almost not daring to look up.

“That's it. Truly, there's no more thankless task, in this world or the next, than adventuring. You're more likely to meet an early grave than anything else. But... you might not, too. More then a few have earned riches, fame, and glory as an adventurer. I suppose it comes down to if you're willing to risk everything for it.” For a moment his lips twitch in a small, sad smile, before his face returns to his confident mask. “I suppose I am. Maybe you are too.”

He gestures at a young man, sitting quietly on a bench a few feet away. “This is Brother Donat, an aide to His Excellency the Bishop. He's been graciously assisting me since I awoke from my injuries.” For a moment, the Captain's calm frays, mouth twisting into a bitter smile. “In fact, he's the one who transcribed the message you received.” Taking a deep breathe, he composes himself again. “If you agree, all you have to do is sign. Brother Donat will take it to the Bishop for his signature, and you'll be adventurers.”

A second deep breathe. “So tell me friends...”

A third. “What shall it be?”

Fable Wright
2012-07-25, 11:28 PM
Leaning against a tree outside the cathedral, Noah finishes scribbling down his thoughts in a notebook he had only used once before. There was something to be said about that. This notebook, something he carried on his person for years, had only been written in twice. Everything else he wanted to write in it just seemed... unimportant. Wincing at the glare of the early morning sun, he pulls the dark hood of his traveller's garb over his head to shield his eyes from the harsh rays of the daytime. He had never had a problem with mornings, until right after the Book spoke to him...

He sighs, and picks up the scythe his father gave him as a going-to-war present. The split of the metal- dark black steel at the top, with an inner cutting edge the color of silver, kept immaculately clean, gave it a rather ominous appearance. But then again, that was fitting for a Keeper. People expect those who watch over the dead to be serious in all they do. Twirling the scythe twice, to test the weight again, he heads into the temple, leaning slightly on his scythe as he does so. The world is a dangerous place. War doubly so.

Noah frowns as the Captain tells his tale, contemplating the offer. Go off and fight for glory and wealth instead of wasting away in this city, while his family's graveyard goes untended for who knows how long. At the cost, potentially, of his life. Still... it did offer opportunities. Wealth would certainly make it easier to follow up on who his ancestors really were... Go, Keeper. Death holds no sway over those who keep it's trust, and your line has proven themselves time and again... you are of the Chosen. And there it was again. The voices in his head, the book...

He tried never to listen to the voices. He didn't trust them. And yet... the Book was never wrong. If it promised him safety, then there was almost no doubt he would emerge alive. And he was recommended for this. Such a recommendation would be a high compliment amongst his people. Tradition mandates he could not refuse. Leaning in, Noah pricks his finger on the edge on his scythe, and puts the bloody finger down on the paper, tracing out the oft practiced strokes of his name in the old hand, the tongue of his ancestors and the Dragons, in the traditional manner for something that signed his death warrant. I'm in. If someone had such faith in me that they would recommend my skills to a stranger, then there is no doubt he believes it. I will go on your quest, Captain. May we find Death's blindspot in battle.

Figment_
2012-07-26, 10:06 AM
Edwin woke up as the sunlight snuck through the crack in the roof and landed on his face. The smell of hay overrode the various animal odors from the floor below. He sat up, dusted off the stray pieces of hay, and gathered his bedroll, sweeping hay and dust off of it as well.

He stretched and then stowed his bedroll, working with efficiency born of practice. He then shimmied down the ladder, and darted out of the barn, pausing only to offend a chicken and snatch an egg.

The gnome took stock as he ran through the human town, heading for his regular, cheap, inn. After a quick inventory, he determined all of his things were there, down to his last few gold coins sewn into his socks. His loose change will buy him food for the day, even if they did serve him only child portions and charge full price, but tomorrow he would have to find a place to break one of his gold pieces. That meant going to a better part of town.. flashing gold here would get him noticed too much.

He reached the inn easily, and ordered his usual, a cup of milk, a similar cup of near boiling water, for the egg, and a bowl of cooked oats. While eating his note was delivered.

Edwin was taken aback a bit that anyone here knew him well enough to find him this easily, but the curiosity of what was under that wax seal pushed those thoughts from his head in an instant. He read over the note, finished his meal, and headed off to the meeting place.

Upon seeing the soldier, Edwin relaxed slightly. He listened to the story, and watched the others who were gathered for the meeting.

His eyes lit up when the charter was displayed, and anyone looking would know his answer to this offer. Possible adventure, treasure, and a charter?

Where do I sign up?

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-26, 10:45 AM
Benedict stood outside the cathedral a long time before going in. He eyed the note, leaned against a nearby fence, and watched the foot traffic around the temple. Occasionally, he would take a drag of a recently rolled cigarette, letting the smoke fill his lungs. He saw a child, no, a gnome, and a man with a scythe enter the cathedral. Looked like a handful of unusual people received a similar missive. He stamped the cigarette out under the heel of his boot, and let out the remaining smoke with a long sigh through his nostrils. Then he entered the gloom of the temple and listened to the Captain's story from the rear of the group.

So it had come to this? Adventuring for profit? Since his discharge from the military, Benedict had come to terms with the fact that his magic was practically useless during peacetime. Adventuring would at least give him an excuse to keep practicing. He stepped up to the charter with a look of resignation on his young face.
"I'll sign."

Lostbutseeking
2012-07-26, 02:13 PM
In her earlier meeting with the good Brother Donat, Melissa had been instructed that she was being put on assignment to help a recovering patient, though the good brother had been somewhat lighter on the details than this Captain Kavaren, just telling her that she would be away for a while, to pack and to be here.

Skulking in the shadow of a pillar, one of many that lined both sides of the nave, not far from the captain as she waited for the others that Brother Donat had told her would be arriving.

Listening in silence as the captain gives his explanation she thinks 'So, they are getting rid of me again and if they get lucky i'll even get killed, how nice of them.'

Stepping forward, away from the shadows she speaks softly "The good Brother Donat has instructed me to aid you in this matter, and so I shall" Not that she had a great deal of choice in the matter ofcourse, but little point mentioning such niceties in public. As she speaks she takes a pen from her robes and signs.

limejuicepowder
2012-07-26, 06:45 PM
The messenger boy having just left the clearing that Chroll had found for himself, he set about building a small fire. Other people might wonder how the boy had found him when Chroll wasn't even staying in an inn, or perhaps they would wonder how anyone in the area knew who he was. But Chroll was uninterested in how , for he knew it was unimportant; when something needs to happen, it does. What was important is why.

As the sun slowly moved across the sky, Chroll sat and stared in to the flames, watching them slowly burn down to embers. When at last all that remained was a bed of burning coals, Chroll began to take items from his pack.

Some dried herbs
A small, nearly round stone from a river bed, burnt black
The left wing of a bat and bird
A shriveled mushroom

All of the items along with the note from the messenger boy were set on the bed of coals, except the mushroom, which he ate. Beginning a slow chant, Chroll breathed deep the smoke that rose from the fire. The smell of herbs filled his nostrils, and he continued to chant as the trees around him began to twist and slide around him. His consciousness was passing in to the spirit world.

For several minutes, nothing happened. Then, the largest tree at the edge of the clearing reached down with its great branches and split itself open, revealing a long tunnel of blackness. Chroll watched as a great bear came in to view. Entirely out of the dark tunnel, the bear stopped and looked around, as if lost. Chroll could see that it was an old bear, that had seen many winters and hard times. Finally resting its sorrowful eyes on the watching Chroll, the great bear gave a plaintive howl, and trudged out of the clearing. Chroll's vision began to darken, and for an unknown time he was lost to the spirit world.

Chroll awoke, and he knew what he must do. Extinguishing the last of the embers and collecting the burnt rock, Chroll packed his things and set off for the entrance of the town.

Not noticing the odd looks and mutterings as he walked through the town, Chroll made his way to the tallest building there. Slowly wandering up the aisle of the church, he notices a one-armed man leaning against the back wall. This is a man with a great presence, his size and gaze gaining instant respect. Yet Chroll also sees a great sadness in the man's lined face, a weariness gained by all creatures that have seen and done too much.

As the man tells his tale, Chroll studies him. Though they have never met, Chroll feels an instant connection, as if they were old friends that haven't seen each other for a very long time. Chroll knew there was a reason he came to these lands, and this man is the beginning.

I will do it

Shades of Gray
2012-07-26, 09:34 PM
Sir Anderson Morgan

The old man looked upon the boy with kindness. He took off his gauntlet as he received the letter, weary eyes reading it twice. "Boy, be aware that you have given this old man a new life." Sir Anderson handed the boy a silver piece for his troubles, and turned upon the cathedral. He was a bit skeptical of the work that he would receive, but he was to travel to the cathedral this morning, and every morning, regardless. This was a cause worth pursuing.

Entering the cathedral, Sir Anderson Morgan left his equipment at the door with Brother Lestor, an old friend of his. Then again, all of his friends were old. Muttering a prayer to Krin, the man surveyed the interior of the cathedral. The cathedral always gave a sense of nervousness to the old man. The man had many a memory of retiring to the cathedral after a day's battle and seeing the countless wounded men cluttering the pews and halls of the great building.

Sir Anderson Morgan listened intently to what the Captain had to say. As he heard the plan, there was no doubt within him that he would have to go on this journey. It was the only lead he had had in weeks; working odd-jobs was getting the old man nowhere.

The man looked upon the others who had gathered. The man with the scythe... He gave Sir Anderson mixed feelings. Spilling your own blood to make a statement was not something that the old man approved of; granted, he was convinced that his blood was fifty-percent dust by now. The gnome... He was wide-eyed and eager. Sir Anderson had seen many like him meet a grisly fate. Judging by the pouch on his belt, the next man was a spellcaster... Sir Anderson was inherently distrustful of him. Still, he looked like a fine young man; he stood like a soldier. The child... Had they really resorted to hiring a little girl? He was concerned by what she spoke of. She was years to young to be speaking in such a way. Finally, and most offensive to Sir Anderson's sensibilities and nostrils, was the savage-looking man. Krin be praised for the burning incense.

"By Krin's twelve bells, I will do it in the name of my family," the man spoke with a heavy, prideful voice. "Thank you for the opportunity, Captain." Sir Anderson Morgan produced an inkwell. He signed his name, using both hands to keep a steady signature, and stamped the symbol of his family, now out of service, with his signet ring. "I don't suppose there will be any more after the five of us?"

Keylac
2012-07-26, 11:40 PM
As each of you agreed, signing your name or symbol to the charter, the Captain's mood seems to lighten. As the old Knight signs, he lets out a breathe, shoulders slumping in obvious relief.

“No Sir Anderson, I had asked only those present to come. Truly, I had not expected to find that all of you would be so willing to come here, so willing to agree. But... I thank you for it.” He picks up the charter, handing it to Brother Donat, who turns and heads for the right wing of the cathedral.

“The good Brother will return with the Bishop's signature in a moment, my friends. Right now, let me show you the way to the Manor.” With that, he pulls another paper from his pocket, unfolding it to show a map of the Duchy. He puts it down on the table, gesturing you all to join him, before leaning over the map.

“Here,” he says, finger indicating a recently added notation. “This is the Manor. It took me days to find it's location, looking through old archives here in the Cathedral. To get there, you could take one of two routes.”

“The obvious one would be to take the Kerist Road north to the village of Stallman,” here his finger traces the highway leading north, then the side road leading to Stallman. “From there, you could cut through the woods, to reach the Manor. It's the longer route, forty miles by Royal High Road, and another five or so through the wood, but you'll make good time along the High Road.”

“Alternately, you could cut straight through the Ashe Wood,” here, his finger taps the large wood north of Kerist. “It's twenty-five miles straight through, as the crow flies, but I've no landmarks to keep you from getting lost. I'd not try that way unless you knew what you were doing in the woods and had a good eye for terrain.”

“In either case, you should be able to make it in two day's travel or so. I'd recommend you approach it from the south; it's apparently backed up against some gullies and hills that would play merry-hell with horses, and could harbor unfriendly beasts.”

As the Captain finishes, you hear the sound of footsteps behind you. Turning, you see Brother Donat returning, accompanied by a stout looking, plain woman in the robes of a Mother. While he hands out a copy of the now-signed charter to each of you, she stands there, arms crossed, tapping her foot and glaring at the Captain.

“Here are the charters,” says Brother DOnat, nodding at the papers you now all held. “However, I'm afraid that Mother Ilona here is insisting that Captain Kavaren return to his bed. He is still not fully recovered from his wounds. Now, I must bid you all a good day, Sir Knight, Sister Melissa, Good Folk.” With a smile and a nod to each of you – though his smile is slightly puzzled when he looks at Edwin, and becomes forced when he looks at Chroll – he turns and walks back towards the right wing, giving Mother Ilona a short bow as he leaves.

As he departs, the Captain turns back to all of you, muttering something to soft to hear. “Well, there you have it my friends; you're now officially adventurer's. The map is yours, along with the key and the directions. Luck be with you, and Krin ward your steps.” With that he gives you all a crisp nod, and turns to the Mother, allowing her to badger him out of the room.

OOC
And once again, three things. I seem to have a lot of things to say in threes...

First, you guys are now the proud owners of four new items – or 9 if you count the copies.

Each of you now has:

Adventurer's Charter – This charter allows you to adventure throughout the Duchy of Kerist.

In addition, the party as a whole (no, I don't care who carries them) has these three items:

Map of the Duchy of Kerist (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByxsmGLMsVmzNjY4Q1RsSDJZaHM) - This is a fairly detailed Map of the Duchy of Kerist. Notations along the edges lead you to assume it was used for military planning. Among the points of interest marked, a new one has been added showing the location of the Ashe Wood Manor.

Map to the Vault - This rough sketch shows the location of the rumored vault in the basement of the Ashe Wood Manor.

Key to the Vault - This large iron key supposedly opens the vault in the basement of the Ashe Wood Manor.

Second, we have also now reached the second part of the railroading. Specifically, Go ahead and discuss, describe, decide, etc to your hearts content, but tomorrow morning, you should show up at the gate outside of Kerist (I'll do the next post from there, and then let you guys talk a bit as you travel) at Dawn tomorrow. You also don't get to explore the city or buy anything, just get ready with what you've got.

Soon as you're on your way, the railroading ends and it all opens up, though I figure you'll still do the Manor. :smalltongue: Once you get back to the city, then the whole place opens up to you, and I'll post all the information on it when you do return.

Third, Travel. This is pretty much just a RP experience for you folks, since most of the mechanics for travel do not work very well in a PBP game. If you guys decide to take the highway, it's about 2 days to get there, no problems. The forest is also 2 days, though if you take that, someone in each group has to make a DC 15 survival check to follow the path. Somebody may even know something to allow you to pass through it more quickly. - he said in a very broad, one time hint.

Allright, enough explaining. I need to do less of that, or you guys will drown in letters. :smallwink:

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-27, 12:16 AM
The young human man, who signed his name Benedict Doubleday, takes the two maps and his copy of the charter and carefully rolls them up, before sliding them into a scroll case that hangs from a clasp on his belt. He leaves the key on the table.
"I'm ready to leave at a moment's notice. The name's Benedict, by the way. You can call me Ben for short."
He seems slightly uncomfortable, as if at a loss what to say. He shrugs.
"Well... see you all in the morning, I guess?"

For what it's worth, I vote we stick to the road; no sense in risking getting lost. I'm ready to proceed with the adventure, etc.

Fable Wright
2012-07-27, 01:20 AM
Noah steps forward and takes the heavy iron key off the table, deftly hanging it on the key ring dangling on his belt, thankful for a familiar weight at his side. Such keys often Noah's only companions on the night watch during his training. He then takes out a thin notebook, bound in black leather, and carefully places his newly recieved permit above the first page, before replacing it into his bag. Turning to face the group, he speaks. I am Gravekeeper Noah. Pleased to make your acquaintances. If I may ask everyone, is there anything any of you need to do before we depart? If not, we could set out this afternoon. The sooner we leave, the sooner we pass into our new lives, and I personally grow weary of this city. Cemetaries outside of the walls and a curfew keeping everyone within the walls by nightfall? This city certainly doesn't care much for its dead, I tell you.

limejuicepowder
2012-07-27, 06:21 AM
Chroll examines the charter for a full minute, even taking a deep smell of the heavy paper. Finally he stuffs the paper unceremoniously in to his bag.

I am called Chroll'Ac Mar, and I be ready to leave now. De watcher of de dead is right; dis be a sad place for ghosts. Better to leave now.

Chroll looks at each of his companions in turn after this pronouncement, then suddenly stares in to distance as if listening to something.

We take path through trees. Our destination be old, and full of spirit. We need time to breathe de air before we arrive, or the resident be unhappy.

I imagine this character with a pseudo-caribbean accent and broken "english" (common, w/e). If the speech patterns are annoying to read though, please tell me and I'll write it normally just for the sake of clarity. If anyone feels strongly about this, PM me

Lostbutseeking
2012-07-27, 01:15 PM
"As you may now have guessed from the Mothers address my name is Melissa. Just Melissa, if you please"

Retrieving her pack from the pillar she had been standing next to she puts away the papers and adds "It seems I packed a little sooner than was needed, so I shall see you tomorrow at the gate" as she starts to walk into the transept that lead to the dormatories.

Figment_
2012-07-27, 02:02 PM
Edwin rolls up his charter and slides it into a case in the intricate belt at his waist.

Hello, everyone. I'm Edwin Levelhand, and I am a scholar of sorts, maybe it would be better to call me a eternal student. I hope I can help out with my knowledge, and I'm a fair shot with my crossbow. I can get my things and Biscuit from the barn I have been staying in, and leave either today or tomorrow. Oh, and if I ask you too many questions, feel free to let me know to be quiet.

Shades of Gray
2012-07-28, 11:39 AM
"The roads will be faster. My old horse, I fear, cannot make it through the woods for that long," Sir Morgan explains, taking a seat and putting his gauntlets on. "As for when we leave, I agree with... Mr. Noah, was it? Leaving today would be ideal. I am not getting any younger," the former knight says with a weak smile.

He then turns his attention to the scholar. "Do not worry, Mr. Levelhand. One of my old squires talked to such an extent that we resolved to leave him by the roadside while he slept. I will warn you if you get close to that," he laughs with a slight wheeze.

Sir Morgan rolls the charter up and puts it in his satchel. He then clears his throat. "Ms. Melissa? If you indeed say that you are all packed, then it would be in the best interest to depart today, correct?" he calls after her.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-28, 02:44 PM
Benedict nods at the group consensus.
"Right. I'm ready to leave today if need be. I might want to pick up some extra field rations if the journey there is two days. Of course, if any of you are skilled at fieldcraft, we could supplement rations with game. I'm no hunter, myself. Not unless you want your grouse pre-cooked."
He attempts a smile at his 'joke,' but his eyes remain somber.

Lostbutseeking
2012-07-28, 06:51 PM
Returning to the group at the knights call, Melissa bows her head at the groups agreement then moves quickly to the sanctuary to offer a few prayers under the great bells. Pressed against the great alter with a hand around the silver bell hanging from it's chain around her kneck she could hear no noise. Not from the supplicants, the bells or herself as her lips frame the words of the devotions. And most certainly not from Krin.

A minute later she returns to the groups huddle, standing beside the knight who towers over her she speaks queitly.

"If you are all packed and ready to leave at once, I am as well and I have no need to impose delays upon us. Though I would prefer to stick to the roads as I know little of the woods, Yet if any of you can chart a swifter path through the Ashewood then by all means please do so."

limejuicepowder
2012-07-28, 07:50 PM
One cannot get lost if yah already know where yah are. You fear da trees because you do not know them. Walk among dem as equals, and da spirits will show us da way.

Chroll looks around the small group, a slight scowl on his face.

But if dat not be the will, I will follow

Figment_
2012-07-28, 08:36 PM
Well, I am going to meet you all just outside of town in about a bell. I need to get Biscuit fed and saddled.

He hops up and hurries out of the room.

Fable Wright
2012-07-29, 06:26 PM
Noah nods at Edwin's comment. Leaving at the next bell ring sounds like a good idea. It will give us time to make our peace with those we've stayed with, stock up on supplies, pay our last respects, and get affairs sorted out. I will be at the graveyard if anyone needs me, paying the respects due to the neglected dead and thanks to the family that sheltered me there. I shall be at the gates within the hour. With a calm and collected pace, Noah strides out of temple to the graveyard, both sad that he had to abandon his duties as Keeper again, and excited about the prospect of getting to move on, finally getting a chance to explore the world... and find out something of his family's past.

limejuicepowder
2012-07-29, 06:46 PM
Hurrying after Noah, Chroll draws even and says

Can I follow? I wish to see what you do wit your dead

Fable Wright
2012-07-29, 07:37 PM
Noah looks at the shaman curiously. Few people ever expressed curiosity in his craft, and most of those who had were only curious because they had a loved one in the ground. Keeping pace, he addresses the Shaman. If you wish. However, this is just a quick goodbye to a visited graveyard. I am neither the head Keeper of this cache of Sleeping Warriors, nor is this a sacred day. It is not the most interesting of ceremonies to witness.

limejuicepowder
2012-07-29, 07:53 PM
Time as a creature is da smallest of moments in da life of a spirit, but it is da most important moment, defining it ever after. How da physical is treated after da spirit leaves matters greatly, and it is our job to make sure dey are treated right.

We are de same, you and I

Keylac
2012-07-30, 01:37 AM
An hour's passing finds you outside the King's Gate, the northern gate out of Kerist. As you stand to the side of the road, adjusting packs and cinching saddles, the flow of people into and out of Kerist never seems to cease. Great wagons of goods from the rest of Arim, move down the road, jostling for space with simple farmers carts and pedestrians.

Some of you know the area better, however, and can tell that the flow of people doesn't look right. Fewer freight wagons hail goods then in years past. The pedestrians come in groups, wary of the kingdoms once peaceful roads and happy to have reached the security of Kerist's walls. Even the farmers pushing their carts seem less eager, going about their tasks with an air of worry.

With all preparations complete, you start out on your journey, following the Kerist Road. You'll make it most of the way to Stallman this day, despite the late start. The roads wide stone expanse allows for fast travel to and from Kerist; a far cry from the days before the road, when nothing more then a dirt track linked the port with the rest of the Kingdom of Arim.

As you travel along the road, the farms that surround Kerist to the north and east fall behind you. The traffic things out, with each group of traveler's attempting to give others a wide berth. The low-lying grasslands to either side of the road, broken only by occasional woodlots and small stands of trees, have an air of peace for those comfortable in the wilds, but perhaps an air of desolation for those accustomed to cities.

The day passes quicker with quiet conversation among yourself. These, your new companions, are a diverse lot, each with their own tales and stories. For all their unknown nature, the trip is not – generally – unpleasant.

When dusk finds you, it's a simple matter to move off the road, to a campsite frequented by traveler's. It's already occupied, with a small caravan of three wagons and their guards and drivers, but there's plenty of room. At first the guards are wary, but they relax upon seeing your adventurer's charters. They even share their evening meal and campfire in exchange for some of your tales.

The next day is much the same, save for an earlier start. You passed by Stallman that day, not long into the afternoon. It held little interest for you, being merely a farming village and good stopping place between Hillsfar and Kerist. Shortly after, you entered the Ashe Wood. Thankfully, Captain Kavaren was right; the woods were thinner here, allowing for easy movement.

It isn't long, perhaps a couple of hours before dusk, when you realize that you must have reached the outskirts of the estate. Trees, clearly growing younger as you move farther, block your view ahead, but their presence marks this area as once inhabited and cleared. You'll have to move closer if you want to get a good look, but it looks like you've found your destination.

All that remains is to discover if the Captain was correct.

OOC
Okay, so I'm assuming no one is going to knife anyone along the road. Hopefully that's accurate. Feel free to describe your character during the trip in your next post, or anything else you want to add. Other then that, you've arrived, so start adventuring!.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-30, 07:10 AM
Benedict is quiet during most of the journey. He responds to questions with curt, vague answers: apparently he is the second son of a minor noble house. He speaks little of his family, although one does not get the sense he is on poor terms with his kin. Fellow veterans of the brief war glean a familiar sense of displacement and listlessness from him. He keeps his gear organized and spartan, taking excellent care of his horse, and participating in smart traveling tasks with practiced ease, such as keeping watches. The young man is a soldier still, there can be no doubt; his armor suggests a martial profession, but the only weapons on his person are a simple dagger at his belt, and a spiked gauntlet on his right hand, covering only the top of the hand, knuckles, and forearm, leaving his fingers free from the leather and lobstered steel.

When the group arrives at the old lodge, he dismounts and ties his horse to a sturdy sapling. Reaching into a pouch at his belt, he pulls out a small handful of something before rubbing it on his gauntlet. He whispers something under his breath, and the gauntlet begins to glow with a blue radiance about as bright as a torch.
"Have we figured out a marching order yet?"

Spending 1 gp on 2 days' of trail rations, and 1 sp on 2 days' of feed for Clementine. The Light spell will last 10 minutes.

Shades of Gray
2012-07-30, 05:39 PM
Sir Anderson came across as a kind old soul along the trip, not talking about himself a lot but instead reacting to everyone else's story. The only things about him that seemed off were his profession considering his age, as well as his armour. His armour was battered and old, stained and dented. Except for one part, smooth and silver, where it looks like something had been scraped off.

The former knight dismounted, tying the horse to another tree. He hung his mace and shield from his belt, holding his bow cautiously.

"It really is beautiful all of the way out here. I miss the country life." He sighed in relief. At the mention of marching order, the old man sighed once more, this time much more heavily. "No, we have not worked out any order," he said sternly.

He then stepped up to the front of the group and started walking.

Fable Wright
2012-07-31, 04:02 AM
Time as a creature is da smallest of moments in da life of a spirit, but it is da most important moment, defining it ever after. How da physical is treated after da spirit leaves matters greatly, and it is our job to make sure dey are treated right.

We are de same, you and I

Noah considers this for a moment, and then turns back to Choll. No. It's not how the physical is treated. It's how the bonds of the spirit are maintained, rather than cast aside. I am there to help them recover from severed bonds and provide a bond if they need one. That is my job. Yours, undoubtedly, is different, but similar on the outside. He walks the rest of the way to the graveyard in silence, and once there, stands just inside the gates, facing the tombstones as if he were to lecture them, and then plants the butt of his Scythe into the ground before him and gets down on one knee. Hesi tairais ulnaus jahus ifyoev, shar hesi tonoparic re rasvim. Sjek wux tepoha gethrisja ekess ssifisv mrith sia letoclo, si mi lotoc. Sjek ti, si mi molmonsore ihk ti letocloir wux ehtah martivir. Nomag wux ehtah martivir mrith nomenes wux itov, vur gethrisj shafaer ekess wer frevor treskri. Ini sia sepa, si geou tar wer ssifisv di dout kin mobi persvek qort tairais. He then gets up, calmly dusts off his trousers, picks up his scythe, and says his last farewells to the family that were so kind as to care for him while he was stuck in the city.

Over the course of the journey, Noah speaks relatively little, save to add in an ominous or snarky comment. When someone asks him a question, he often gives a rather blunt remark to cut the comment short. However, whenever someone asks him about his job, Noah goes on and on about the topic, easily turning it into a long conversation spanning a variety of topics, to religion, nature, honor, history, and a wide variety of fields besides. When nightfall comes, he unpacks his load from his mule, and quietly sets up camp in a corner of the encampment, offering to take the midnight watch.

As everyone arrived at the hunting lodge, Noah takes up his scythe and glides right behind Sir Anderson, taking the second position. Primary spellcasters in the middle. Edwin, please take the rear. You mentioned you could fight ranged and melee, right? That seems like the best spot for you. I'll take second, as I don't have much in the way of ranged options, but I have skill enough with my scythe.

Figment_
2012-07-31, 07:47 AM
Edwin is waiting for everyone with his pony at the appointed time. During the journey, he does ask many many questions, occasionally jotting down a note of something particularly interesting to him. He asks about everything from scythe fighting styles, to noble etiquette, and listens eagerly to any conversations of which he can be a part.

He hobbles Biscuit with the other mounts once near the manor and stretches out the soreness from riding.

I can stay in the back, sure. Um, I can be surprisingly unobtrusive if I need to, so if you look back and don't see me, I'm probably still there. If something bad happens, I'll blow my whistle, or someone may get a whisper in their ear calling for help.

He cranks back his crossbow and loads in a bolt.

Lostbutseeking
2012-07-31, 06:08 PM
Arriving at the gate a little before the next tolling of the great bell Melissa was taken aback, the tinge of suspiscion and fear in the air at the gate as they were leaving Kerist had peturbed her, while she did not expect things to be as if the war with Mazan had never happened, this felt almost like they were afraid war would be declared again the next day.

While not quiet on the trip Melissa was hardly chatty, mainly asking polite questions of the others as they travelled north from Kerist, while staying fairly close to the knight.

Entering the Ashewood past the village of Stallman she grows wary, examaning each shadow carefully, letting one of the blades in her robes slide down into her hand.

After the knight started to lead the way accross the grounds to the buildings of the estate she slipped back somewhat and accross to the left, keeping to the shadows such as they were. Aware, now at last, that the sense of unease from Kerist had infected her.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-07-31, 06:43 PM
Benedict falls in pace just behind Noah and Sir Anderson, his glowing gauntlet held aloft to scatter some of the forest shadows. He produces the map of the supposed treasure vault from his scroll case and squints at it in the blue luminescence.
"...Seems pretty straightforward. Of course, if this place has been abandoned as long as it has, there's a good chance something has taken up residence. Why don't we make a circuit around the lodge, peer in through any windows on the ground level, see if anything's in there?"

Keylac
2012-08-01, 03:58 AM
As the party moves closer to the manor, you catch an occasional glimpse of the roof from in between the crowns of the trees. There's more underbrush around, flourishing without the towering tree's of an old growth forest choking out the light. You estimate you are less than 100 yards from the house, when Benedict makes his suggestion and irony demonstrates it's alive and well in Arim today.

Chroll and Edwin, more alert than their fellows, hear the slightest rustling of leaves to the right-front of the parties route. Glancing at the noise, they find themselves staring into a pair of glowing red eyes, set in a reptilian face of rust brown scales. Upon seeing the party, the eye's go wide. Obviously, whatever their owner had expected to see, it wasn't a large party of adventurers!

The head pulls back into the underbrush it had emerged from, and a series of yipping noises issues forth, tinged with panic. These are followed a split second later with another set from a different voice, filled with the sharp note of command.

Before the party can react to the sudden noise, a half-dozen small reptilian humanoids armed with small hunting spears burst from the bush, charging the party, while the yipping voice in the underbrush continues to shout commands. Movement in the underbrush around where they were hidden catch your eyes, and you realize there's at least a few more still hidden from sight.

The ones in sight scramble through the bush, splitting up. Two charge the head of the column, fear in their eyes and they race straight towards the armored knight and the scythe wielding warrior right behind him. Two others move past them, angling to get to the center of the column, while the remaining two run parallel to the party.

For those that speak Draconic:

First Kobold: Humans! Invaders! They're invaders!

Second Kobold: Kill them! Those in front, charge! Others, slings!

Second Kobold: Stop them, sweep around behind them! Don't let them get any closer to the lair! Gyrax will reward us well for their heads!

OOC
I love Benedict's timing here.

Chroll and Edwin, you guys get a Surprise Round first off.

Next, here's the Initiative Order. Remember, you can go in any order during your group. I'll sum up the consequences after each group goes, then the next one can go.

Surprise Round: Kobolds, Chroll, Edwin.
Group 1: Chroll, Edwin, Melissa.
Group 2: Kobolds.
Group 3: Benedict, Noah, Sir Anderson.

And if anyone wants to know they're kobolds, the DC is a 5 on Knowledge: Nature. Sir Anderson and Chroll, you guys already know what they are.

Figment_
2012-08-01, 07:49 AM
When Edwin sees the eyes, he remembers seeing those types of eyes before, back in his village. They were expertly pained onto the thin wooden targets shaped like..

Knowledge: Nature[roll0]

Kobolds!

As the kobolds begin to swarm the group, Edwin hears the one barking orders. That's the one he needs to quiet first, if he can see it. He scans the visible beasts, looking for the spokesman. On sighting the one he thinks might have been speaking, he fires off his bolt, drawing on the old training drills at his village.Once the bolt has left the crossbow, he pulls out another and reloads the weapon.

Spot: [roll1]

If he can spot the leader he attacks that one, if not, he goes for one of the ones moving to use slings.

Standard action: Crossbow [roll2] Damage [roll3]
(if needed) Crit confirm: [roll4] Crit Damage [roll5]

Move action: reload

They are moving to flank! This is their lair! Watch the back!

limejuicepowder
2012-08-02, 12:20 PM
Having some experience with kobolds before, Chroll knows that their leader must be a potent one, for only a powerful leader could get a group as small as this one to charge heavily armed individuals. They rush forward, but Chroll knows they rush only to their death.

Chroll draws his sling, but does not fire. Instead, he takes several steps to the left and drops his mask down over his face. He is now a visage of terror, and he hopes this is enough to make the kobolds think twice.

Keylac
2012-08-03, 07:28 AM
Seeing a kobold with a crossbow hidden in the bushes, Edwin snaps off a shot with his crossbow. It misses, thudding into a tree next to the kobold, drawing it's attention.

At the same time, Chroll's movement seems to spook the kobolds heading towards him; the ones that had been heading for the center of the party hesitate for a moment, steps faltering. They glance at each other, scared of approaching the fearsome looking shaman and trying to decide what to do.

Apparently making up their minds, they choose to avoid the shaman. One of them continues forward, charging at Benedict, while the other one changes direction, moving to attack Noah. Though both attack fiercely, as much in fear as hate, both miss; Benedict easily dodges the blow, while Noah parries the thrust meant for him.

At the head of the party, Sir Anderson is under attack by two kobolds, apparently attempting to halt your progress. One stops directly in front of the elderly knight, while the other attacks his right flank. Sir Anderson's shield blocks the first attack, but the one on the right seems more experienced, managing to slip his spear past the knight's guard, inflicting a cut to the leg.

The two kobolds who ran opposite the party turn right, seeking to cut you off from behind. One of them, upon seeing Edwin, turns to attack the gnome. His attack is too rushed, missing by over a foot; Edwin doesn't even have to bother to dodge the pathetic blow.

The other kobold, still following orders, runs past his comrade, moving to the party's left.

It's then that the party hears another yip from the underbrush, followed by a small flurry of sling stones and a bolt. Two of the stones fly towards Chroll, one sailing over his head, but the other thuds home accurately badly bruising the shaman. Another bounces off Sir Anderson's armor, not even scratching it.

Edwin, in the act of re-loading his crossbow, finds that the attention he drew from the Kobold's leader has consequence. He's forced to hastily duck the bolt, fired by the leader's crossbow. He had, perhaps, better see that the leader doesn't have a chance to correct his aim.

For those that speak Draconic:
First command: “Fire!”

Second command: “Reload!”
OOC
Sorry this took so long guys. It only just now occurred to me, as I was writing this post, that you guys – specifically Melissa – might be waiting for me to sum up the Surprise Round. I hadn't intended too, as I'd been assuming Chroll and Edwin would do both their Standard Action (surprise round) then Regular Turn (Initiative Pass) in one post, followed by Melissa, followed by the kobolds, so on and so forth.

If you were waiting for that Melissa, go ahead and post an action as part of Group 3, then you can move back to Group 1 after Group 3 finishes. I'm sorry about the confusion.

Allright, as far as effects go:

Edwin, you spotted the kobold, but your attack missed him.

Chroll, you're now standing roughly where Melissa is, on the party's left.

Sir Anderson, you take 1 damage.

Chroll, you take 2 damage.

All the others missed.

On that note, it's Group 3's turn, so have at it.

Group 3: Benedict, Noah, Sir Anderson.

Shades of Gray
2012-08-03, 09:36 AM
Sir Anderson Morgan winced and then laughed. "Now this is more like it!" The old knight dropped his shield, put the visor down on his helmet, and wielded his warmace with both hands. He sidestepped, getting out of the kobolds flank, and swung his massive mace at the kobold who had managed to harm him.

"Ranged combatants, find their leader and end him! I'll tie them up here. And Chroll, while I appreciate your pretty mask I'd appreciate you helping a lot more." When combat starts the jovial old man began hoarsely barking orders.

OOC:[roll0][roll1]
[roll2]

Free Action: Drop shield.
Move Action: 5-foot step.
Standard Action: Attack

Fable Wright
2012-08-03, 09:57 AM
Noah, hearing the leader's orders and noticing the kobolds that tried to cut him off, looks around for the source of the orders wildly, wondering if he can stave of the assault. Out of the corner of his eye, he notices Edwin taking a potshot into a bush- Noah could only assume that he was firing at a Kobold and didn't suddenly snap at the first sign of combat. But, because he shot at the bush, rather than one of the many snipers... that must mean that someone important was hiding there. Turning to Sir Anderson, he gives a quick rundown of the situation. Edwin is going after the leader of the group, the head kobold. I'm going after him- these Kobolds are here to head us off, so just standing here makes it likely that you're going to keep drawing visitors. With that, Noah Charges the bush, sweeping his scythe downwards as he glimpses the Kobold within, trying to knock the creature off its feet and into a more vulnerable position.

Full round action- Charge the Kobold, and replacing my attack at the end of the Charge with a Trip attempt.
Rolls:
Attack: [roll0]+6
Trip check: [roll1]+2

Also, for future reference, here's a handy dandy Draconic translator (http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/), in case you wanted to use that for mid-combat speech. You also might be able to make sense of Noah's sermon earlier, as well.

Figment_
2012-08-03, 11:09 AM
Editing out confuse-a-post

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-03, 12:27 PM
Almost instantly recognising them as kobolds Melissa tightens the grip on the dagger in her hand before moving swiftly from the shadows as the 2 of the kobolds cut past the back of Sir Anderson Melissa dashes from the shadows in against the one that kept heading in her direction

To-hit: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
To confirm: [roll2] Bonus damage [roll3]

limejuicepowder
2012-08-03, 05:34 PM
-moved to later in the thread-

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-03, 08:07 PM
Benedict keeps his shield up, ready to parry any of the kobold's spears. The group of archers in the brush was his biggest worry; given the chance, they could fill the air with quarrels. He had to stop them before they fired another volley.
Using his height to his advantage, he pushes through a gap between the yapping reptilians, their spears prodding out at his exposed flank. He hoped his armor would deflect the blows...
Getting close to the group of archers, Benedict slaps his palms together, then shoves his right hand out, fingers splayed, putting as much magical power behind the spell as possible; risky, but worth it. A burst of bright orange flame bursts out from his hand, catching the kobolds in red-hot arcane napalm.

Moving as described in the OOC, then using Reckless Magic to cast an empowered Burning Hands. The kobolds are entitled to a DC 15 Reflex save for half damage, otherwise they take [roll0] fire damage.
Edit: I forgot Ben has a +2 bonus on Warmage Edge, so the final damage should be 6

Keylac
2012-08-04, 04:10 PM
Sir Anderson notes, as he brings the mace down onto the kobold, the brief – very brief – look of terror on his face. The slams through the kobolds guard, smashing into it's body and snapping bones as it drives it into the ground. The other kobold fighting Sir Anderson see's this, eyes going wide in shock.

Noah, Taking advantage of the hole Sir Anderson created with his kill, charges through to the underbrush half-concealing the kobold leader and slingers. The first kobold he reaches manages to dodge his attempt to trip it, continuing to reload it's sling, clearly afraid of the strange, scythe-wielding warrior in front of it.

The kobold who swung around behind the party, eager to attack them from behind, is shocked when Melissa darts out of the shadows, slicing at it. It manages to parry the strike, but is obviously worried by it's inability to attack the party from behind, yipping out “Voga!” to it's leader.

The leader has other things on his mind right now. Benedict dashes through the gap between the kobold menacing him and Sir Anderson, nimbly dodging a blow launched by his surprised opponent. He arrives just outside the underbrush, skidding to a stop and calling forth a blast of chaotic magical power.

He's able to control it only by the slimmest of margins, but control it he does. The result is a wave of fire bursting from his fingers, rushing into the underbrush. Two of the kobolds die before they even have a chance to scream, but two others, including the one with the crossbow, manage to dodge the worst of the flame, only being burned.

OOC
Pretty good round for you guys, though Benedict only made his Spell Botch roll by 1. :smallbiggrin:

A couple of things people said they did (Sir Anderson's 5 foot step) didn't actually work, so I went with the most reasonable thing that accomplishes what you wanted.

Sir Anderson crushes the kobold into paste.

Noah misses the closest sniper kobold.

Melissa misses her target, the kobold coming around behind the party.

Kobold misses Benedict with AOO

Benedict's spell kills 2 of the slingers, injures the remaining 1 and the leader.

And here's a new map. The one with the dot is the leader by the way.

Group One, you're up! (Chroll and Edwin, sent you guys a PM about your posts with a question)

Group 1: Chroll, Edwin, Melissa.

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-04, 04:21 PM
Recoiling slightly as the kobold manages to parry her first wild cut with the dagger Melissa mutters a silent curse and takes a firmer two handed grip on it to bring the blade back around in a backswing aiming to strike accross the creatures sinewy neck.

To-hit: [roll0] damage: [roll1]
Confirm: [roll2] bonus damage: [roll3]

Figment_
2012-08-05, 08:45 AM
Edwin takes stock of the situation and seeks another target. Finding one not engaged in melee, he taps into his memories of 'kobold practice' and fires. The gnome then reloads his crossbow, keeping his senses sharp for the inevitable next group of these beasts.

Standard: Burn inspiration point to add Int to attack.
[roll0] Damage[roll1]
Crit if needed: [roll2] Damage[roll3]

Move action: reload

limejuicepowder
2012-08-05, 08:59 AM
Resigning himself to the destruction of the kobolds, Chroll loads his sling and fires a bullet at the closest kobold, taking care not to accidentally hit his comrades.

Firing a sling bullet at the closest kobold who isn't in melee range with an ally.

[roll0]

crit confirm [roll1]

damage [roll2]

Keylac
2012-08-06, 05:58 PM
Melissa, not letting the kobold recover from it's surprise, presses the attack. Desperate to try to regain his footing, the kobold attempts to anticipate her, bringing it's spear up to block a thrust. Unfortunately for it, it guessed wrong, and it's head is half-severed from it's body when she brings the dagger back around on the backswing.

Edwin, bravely disregarding the danger to himself from the kobold menacing him, attempts to kill the one that attacked Benedict, before it can follow him. Despite his best efforts, the kobold manages to dodge the attack, twisting aside. Edwin, preoccupied with his shot, pays for his bravery when the kobold he ignored takes the opportunity to land a punishing blow to the gnomes back.

Chroll attacks the same kobold as Edwin, also attempting to kill it before it can threaten anyone else. He too misses, proving the kobold's skill at dodging.

For his part, the kobold is sitll unwilling to approach Chroll, instead turning to help it's friend fight Sir Anderson. Now flanked, the knight is attacked from both sides by the kobolds. His only surviving opponent from the first few seconds of the fight misses again, but his newest foe manages to scratch the knight. It would probably feel less elated by it's success if it knew that this almost certainly made it next in line to get smashed.

The kobold next to Edwin quickly recovers and presses the attack, eager to exploit it's success and bring down the gnome. For his part, Edwin is unable to completely dodge the kobolds attacks, gaining another wound, this one a small blow to the arm.

The kobold leader, though furious with Benedict for killing so many of his fellow kobolds, refuses to be distracted from the immediate danger of Noah, a bare 5 feet away from him. Snarling at Benedict, he raises his crossbow and fires at the Keeper, but misses, his rage and wounds throwing off his aim.

The kobold next to him proves to be more susceptible to anger, or perhaps more afraid of the mage. His next shot is aimed at the warmage, hitting him in the center of the chest, badly bruising him. Spirits raised by his success, the kobold obviously intends to keep aiming for the vulnerable caster.

OOC
Melissa, you killed your target, nice going,

Edwin, fraid you missed, and the kobold next to you got a crit on his AoO, so you take 9 points of damage.

Chroll, I'm afraid you also missed.

For the kobolds turn:

Sir Anderson, you're now flanked and take 1 damage, the other guy missed,

Edwin, you take another 1 damage (total of 10)

Noah, you were missed by the leader.

Benedict, you were hit by the remaining slinger, take 3 damage.

Allright, I'm not going to update the map this time. The kobold next to Mellisa is now dead, and the one that was out in the middle of nowhere is now just south of Sir Anderson, no one else moved.

Group 3, you're up.

Group 3: Benedict, Noah, Sir Anderson

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-06, 06:41 PM
Benedict coughs from the force of the lead bullet, bruising his ribs through the layer of protective leather. He grits his teeth and fights back the pain, focusing on the surviving group of kobolds who survived his initial attack. Focusing less power into his magic this time, he repeats the same spell as before, catching the foes in another red arc of fire.

Burning Hands again, adjusting Ben's position for optimum effect, avoiding AoO's and making sure Noah's not in the way.
The kobolds are entitled to another DC 15 Reflex save for half damage, otherwise they take [roll0] fire damage.

Shades of Gray
2012-08-06, 08:27 PM
The old knight winced as the kobold opened up an old war wound. Still, he kept smiling. "You just reminded me of a good one. Let's hope, for your sake, that you become a funny story one day. Not like your friend, there." He says, gesturing with his head over to the puddle that was once a kobold.

The man jumped to the side before bringing his massive mace down on the kobold who had harmed him. "Men, Melissa, let us endeavour to keep one of them alive."

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

As he crushed the second kobold to a blood pulp, the knight winces. "Not this one," he deadpans, picking up his shield once more.

Fable Wright
2012-08-07, 03:52 PM
Noah, trying to press the advantage given to him by his size, attempts to plow through the smaller Kobold Leader through the brush, following up with a low, sweeping strike intended to catch the leader if he dodged to a side, or disembowel him if he was caught in Noah's path.

Attempting to Overrun the Kobold leader, moving though his square and provoking an Attack of Opportunity if the Kobold has any melee weapons on hand, or if there's somehow a bayonette on his crossbow that I haven't noticed. There isn't anything directly stated in the rules about it to my knowledge, but if the Kobold attempts to dodge to the side through the underbrush that we're fighting in, would that force a balance check to stay stable? If so, and the Kobold has less than 5 ranks in Balance, the attack would hit the Kobold flat-footed, or potentially trip him up even if he moves out of the way.

Anyways, Strength check if it comes up: [roll0]+2
Attack roll, power attacking for 1: [roll1]+3
Damage: [roll2]+5

Keylac
2012-08-08, 02:56 PM
Once again another wave of fire swept out from Benedict's hand, engulfing the kobold he had only burned last time. The charcoal like body fell to the ground, clutching the burning remains of it's sling.

Sir Anderson's strike was equally successful, one again smashing a kobold's body into paste on the forest floor.

The kobold leader, seeing it's men falling too quickly, began to give another order, when Noah attacked. He rushed the kobold, forcing it to dodge aside or be trampled. What the kobold hadn't considered was the nature of Noah's weapon; it dodged straight into the sweep of the scythe, slicing it neatly in half.

The remaining kobolds, seeing their numbers so brutally reduced and their leader fall, lost their courage. They broke and ran, attempting to flee back the way they'd come, back in the direction of the manor house.

OOC
Benedict flash-fried the remaining slinger.

Sir Anderson reduced yet another kobold to paste.

Noah cut the leader in half with his scythe.

Good times, good times.

Allright, here's what we're going to do. There are now two remaining kobolds, and they're running away. Everyone gets an attack against them if they're using a weapon, even if ranged. If you're using two weapons, or get extra AoO's, go ahead and use those. If more people hit kobolds than there are kobolds, you'll just murder the crap out of them that much harder. :smallbiggrin:

Figment_
2012-08-08, 04:03 PM
Gritting his teeth from the pain of his wounds, Edwin returns the favor when the kobold facing him turns to run. The gnome's hand flicks out and his quickblade arcs toward the creature's unprotected back. With another practiced flick, the weapon flies back into its sheath.

Quickblade attack: [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Crit if needed: [roll2] Damage [roll3]

After striking at the beast, Edwin pauses and tries to take stock of his wounds.

That one got me good. We need to keep moving though, if any got away, more will surely show up. Also, is anyone versed in healing magic? Or good with a tourniquet? Im feeling a little woozy here.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-08, 05:06 PM
Ignoring the fleeing kobolds, Chroll instead stows his sling, flips his mask back off of his face, and takes a dried herb off of his belt. As he walks towards Edwin, he chews the herb in to a paste and spits it back in to his hands.

I will heal you

He says to the gnome, then he begins to chant - a barely audible sound. The paste immediately begins to sizzle, then steam. Chroll quickly rubs the contents of his hands on to the gnome's wounds.

Chroll is casting Vigor, Lesser for 11 rounds of fast healing 1

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-08, 05:32 PM
Benedict casually blows off some of the smoke still streaming from the palm of his hand. He walks over to the horses to make sure the kobolds did not harass them, then returns to the rest of the group.
"Well fought, everyone. Now, as I was saying before we were interrupted, we ought to scout out the ground level windows of the manor."
He holds aloft his still-glowing gauntlet.
"We've still got several minutes of illumination here, and I prefer not to waste magic if I can."

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-08, 05:42 PM
With a surprising burst of speed Melissa throwshetself after one of the fleeing kobolds and dives headlong into the bushes after it trying to catch it's ankles as it flees so they could interrogate it.

Trip attack, To-hit: [roll0] and str check [roll1]

Shades of Gray
2012-08-08, 07:01 PM
Seeing the young woman chase after a kobold, the old man did likewise. He ran after the other surviving kobold.

[roll0][roll1]

Fable Wright
2012-08-08, 09:27 PM
Noah, seeing the Kobolds fleeing, dashes after them at full speed, before taking a flying leap at one of them, trying to tackle the creature before it could escape back into the mansion.

Okay, going to try to Charge into a Grapple onto one of the Kobolds.
[roll0]+5 Touch attack
[roll1]+3 Grapple check if the touch attack succeeds and the Kobolds don't connect on their AoOs.

Keylac
2012-08-10, 05:31 PM
As the kobolds attempt to flee back the way they came, they're intercepted by the party.

Edwin, still in great pain from his wounds, lashes out, slicing the kobold that hurt him. This helps slow him down for the rest of the party. Mellisa and Noah are quick to take advantage, running and tackling the kobold to the ground, pinning it.

Sir Anderson, seeing that his companions are going after that kobold, takes down the other one, grabbing and holding the struggling humanoid.

Both kobolds are left captured, too terrified at the warriors that just routed their hunting party to even curse or threaten, instead remaining silent in paralyzed terror. It's clear, even on their lizard-like faces, that they expect to be killed or tortured to death at any moment.

OOC
Allright, Edwin wounded his kobold, then got healed by Chroll (you'll be happy to know that the spell worked right).

The horses are fine Benedict (they probably wanted to eat them later :smallsmile:)

Melissa and Noah, between then, have tackled and pinned the slightly wounded kobold that Edwin hit.

Sir Anderson tackled the other one and has it pinned.

It is at this point I'm going to go ahead and remind folks that torture is an evil act. It's also defined here as the infliction of physical harm or pain on an entity. So, be clever. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I figure you guys are going to get around to searching the bodies soon, so here's the loot lsit, including what's present on your captives or dropped to the ground.

10 Small sized Short Spears
6 Small sized Slings
3 Pieces of Charcoal that used to be Small sized Slings
1 Small sized Light Crossbow, slightly charred.
85 Sling Stones
18 Bolts

Each of the kobolds also has at least one small money pouch on them, but none of them contain coin. Instead, they're filled with bits of shiny metal and stones, all worthless.

The kobold with the crossbow is wearing a belt with some crude draconic stamped into it. For those that read Draconic, it says "Me Sharpbite, Leader of Hunters, Servant of Gyrax, Tyrant of the Clawed Fist"

Oh and there's a tiny update to the cast, for Noah.:smallsmile:

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-10, 08:12 PM
Melissa pushes herself upand then staggers to her feet leaving Noah gripping the injured kobold that they had brought down. Her young face has a few scratches marring it now, fresh and welling drips of blood, courtesy of her face first dive into the scrub. The blood on her face is almost unnoticeable compared to the masses sprayed over her from the kobold whose throat she cut open.

"Oh lovely" she mutters "What did I do to deserve this? Well other than.. I guess it doesn't matter anyway." She trails off into silence as she ineffectually tries to wipe some of pungent blood off her robe before it ruins it. Giving up she retrieves the bloodstained dagger she had dropped and wipes it on the kobolds ragged loincloth. As an afterthough she cuts the pouch off and opens it, sniffing as the stones and metal chunks spill from it. "Worthless. To us at least. Not to them though, could be useful if there are more of them."

Leaving the trinkets on the ground for now, she turns her attention to the kobolds wounded leg, squeezing it rhythmically, and ignoring it's spasmodic twitches, as she inspects the wound before finally closing the flaps of blood soaked flesh and pressing down. "I'm no expert on their anatomy but I think you more-or-less hamstrung this one Edwin. Guess that's why he he fell so easily when I could barely get a grip. I can probably patch it up though."

Standing back up she relinquishes her grip on the kobolds wound, which promptly starts bleeding once more, to fetch her bulky healers kit from the horse she had ridden into the woods.

Setting the kit down in full view of the kobold she opens the section holding the surgical implements revealing a wide collection of blades, pliers, clamps along with a saw and all the other paraphernalia of a barber-surgeon. Selecting a tool she turns back to the trembling kobold.

I am reminded of a Harry Potter fanfiction I once read where Hermoine terrifies the slytherins, among others, out of the great hall by calling her dentist parents muggle torturers and describing in detail what they do.

Medical care - surprisingly like torture.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-10, 11:01 PM
Benedict watches as his companions pursue and subdue two of the kobolds. He frowns, doubting the little reptilians have any useful information; kobolds were kobolds: attacking warm-blooded races were what they did. He turns to the brooding mansion in the background, the light in his palm still glowing with soft power. He stretches his shoulders, wincing a bit from the pain of the sling bruise, and readjusts the straps on his shield, before approaching the manor. While his companions deal with the prisoners, he makes a sweep of the ground floor, peering into the windows, trying to get an idea of the layout of the lodge and seeing if it matches up with the map they were given.

During any subsequent interrogation/healing/etc., Ben will do exactly as stated above. I leave the rolling of relevant Spot checks, etc., up to Keylac. His light spell should last at least another 9 minutes or so.

Figment_
2012-08-13, 09:08 AM
Edwin bites his lip while the shaman smears the foul paste into his wounds. After a few seconds, though, the pain turns to a numbing warmth and the wounds begin to close.

That will do nicely, thank you.

The gnome sees Benedict walk off to investigate the manor, and follows him keeping an eye out for other threats.

Hey, wait for me, we should not go off alone!

Lemme now how many rounds pass between this encounter and the next, so I know how much Edwin is healed from the vigor spell.

Keylac
2012-08-13, 01:52 PM
Benedict and Edwin:

As you move forward, you pass through the last screen of trees between you and the manor house. From the looks of it, the estate has obviously seen better days. The courtyard itself is in ruins, garden beds either overgrown or dead, cobblestones cracked. The manor isn't in any better repair; the entire west wing of the house seems to have collapsed in on itself. In the center of the front, double doors admit entry into the manor.

Starting at the right end, you move along the front of the manor, peering into the open windows. None of them have any glass left, but some are closed tightly with badly warped shutters. The rooms you can see all appear to be abandoned, stripped of anything of use or value. There does appear to be a decent amount of light filtering in through holes in the ceiling - you suspect that even if you were in a room without windows, you'd still have some light to see by.

Having looked in every open window on the front, you now stand at the west end of the house, at the collapsed portion. You must decide if you want to swing around the house and check the sides and back, though this will take you bey0ond the sight of your fellows.

OOC
Allright, first off, I realized I didn't specify exactly what the Map To The Vault shows - apparently it got removed in one of the revisions, and I never put it back. The map shows a rough sketch of the cellar of the manor, as well as where the secret door leading into the vault is supposed to be. So as far as the vault goes, you're trying to find the basement. You can explore more of the manor as well, of course.

I'll get you guys a picture showing the map as soon as I come home.

Ben and Edwin - the inside has Low-Light conditions, so far as you can tell.

Anyone who sees the house - if you have Knowledge Architecture and Engineering, you can tell that the ground floor is made from stone, and except for the collapsed part, looks fairly stable. The upper floors are made from wood, however, and look extremely rotten.

Edwin, I figure you guys are moving slowly enough that you should be full healed by the end of this post, so go ahead and update that.

Everyone back with the kobolds, lemme know what you're trying to do with them, and roll anything relevant that you can think of. :smalltongue: I'll wait to post on what's going on there until you guys decide what you're trying.

Oh, and i agree completely Melissa. Medical Care is just odd if you actually describe it, and frankly very sinister sounding.

Fable Wright
2012-08-13, 06:50 PM
Noah, watching Melissa take out the kit and shuddering a bit at the look at all the instruments, suddenly... remembers something. A chapter from a book about death rites. He's not entirely sure what the book was, and he has the odd feeling that he's never read it... but, regardless, the memory was there. He may as well use that information.

Noah walks towards the kobolds, standing over them with scythe in hand, watching them tremble. Rather than glower at them from above while whispering threats, however, he sighs and sits down in front of them, waving Melissa off and giving her a "Let's try this first" look. Sitting in front of them cross-legged, he begins speaking to them in Draconic. We are in a predicament here, aren't we? You two are tied up and have no reason to tell us what we want, and we have no reason to let you live. You know that. However... he takes a breath, I can give you a reason to deal with us. First off, I swear right now, we will not kill you. No, right now, your deaths would be for the good of your tribe, soldiers who died trying to defend your tribe and protect your secrets. Instead, I have a different idea. If you don't work with us, we will make your names spat upon by your tribe members. Instead of killing you, we're going to start taking off body parts. Not just any parts- the ones that make you useful to your tribe. The first time you fail to answer our questions, we will take one of your thumbs. The next time, we'll take off your second thumb. Without those, I can imagine that it would be difficult to do any meaningful labor for your tribe- you can't do manual labor or guard work ever again. The next time you fail to answer us, you'll lose one eye, and then the next. The next time you fail to answer, it's over. We'll take your feet and drag you back to your tribe. After we're done asking questions, if you had failed to answer any of them, we will take your tongue to keep you from even warning your tribe. If you only lose one thumb and your tongue, you could still probably live out a crippled life helping your tribe, pushing a minecart or something. Fail, and you will live out your lives as wastes to your tribe, and then die uncelebrated deaths. You'd spend your lives taking resources from your tribe, unable to contribute to it at all or communicate without difficulty. You'll be unable to write. You'll be unable to talk. You'll be unable to do something as simple as use a pickaxe or push a minecart. You'll live lives as drains on your tribe, able to hear all the complaints about being failures, and remain unable to defend yourselves. To even move, you'd need assistance from an able-bodied person in your tribe. These are the punishments for failing to speak. Understand? He asks the terrified Kobolds. Without waiting for an answer, he continues. Here is your first question: Who is Gyrax?

OOC
I'm typing it out in English because the translation would wind up too choppy to render the point I'm trying to make clear. Remember everyone, you didn't understand this conversation unless you speak Draconic.

And now, Intimidate check:
[roll0]+3 (Plus any circumstance/synergy modifiers.)

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-14, 10:19 AM
With nothing terribly interesting revealed by the brief scouting sojourn, Benedict shrugs at Edwin and motions to return to the rest of the group.
"No sense in cutting ourselves off from possible assistance. There could still be kobolds in the woods."

Figment_
2012-08-14, 11:48 AM
Agreed. It looks like I'm all knitted up as well. I wonder if they got anything off the few captives yet.

Keeping at Ben's flank,Edwin follows the mage back to the rest of the team.

Shades of Gray
2012-08-15, 06:10 AM
The former knight held down one of the kobolds, but was troubled. He heard Noah speaking some harsh language, draconic, he thought it was. He did not know much of the language, but he could sense some amount of hostility. He listened closely to glean the intent of the gravekeeper's speech.

[roll0]

Keylac
2012-08-15, 08:24 PM
The kobolds stare at Noah as he speaks, fear at their proposed fate written plain on their faces. As he finishes, the wounded one whimpers in terror, glancing at it's companion. That one, seemingly pushed beyond fear and into rage, snarls at Noah in Draconic.

"Take thumbs! Take tongues! Tell you nothing! Gyrax will grind bones to paste, carry head on spear, feed your flesh to younglings! We be rewarded for defiance, when Gyrax kills you. Tikak become honored kobold!" The kobold bares it's teeth at Noah. "Maybe Gyrax give me your thumbs and tongue when you dead."

Turning to the other Kobold, he yips out "Wacin, tell nothing!"

The wounded kobold named Wacin, for his part merely whimpers again, hiding his face in fear.

OOC
Sir Anderson, you don't pick up squat about his attitude or what he's threatening to do to the kobolds.

Fable Wright
2012-08-15, 10:51 PM
Noah, calmly sizing up the furious Kobold, addresses him in Draconic. Yes. That is rather the point, isn't it? That's why your clan would waste resources on you for year after year, until they gradually forgot about why they respected you and began to resent you. I'm not offering immediate punishment- raking you over hot coals would be enough for that. No, I'm going to make your pain last until the day you die, alone and unloved. But enough of that. Maybe you'll be more reasonable after a little nap. Noah looks thoughtful for a moment, and then continues. While you nap, I think I'm going to offer your friend a choice- if he helps me, I'll forgive your impudence and let you go unharmed. How's that? Before the Kobold responds, Noah knocks him unconscious with a blow to the head.

With the loud one unconscious, Noah turns to the other Kobold. Now. You both know exactly what I said. I'm going to offer you a bit of a different deal, now. Speak, and I can let you both go and be received as honored warriors who kept their mouth shut in the face of the enemy. Act like your friend did, and I can offer you a far, far worse fate. I'm not going to take your thumbs, feet and tongue. No, I'm going to do something worse. I'm going to take one thumb and your tongue, and nothing else. When your friend comes to, he's going to think the worst- that after just one thumb, you spilled the tribe's secrets. That you betrayed him and your tribe. He'll keep his tongue, and will be able to tell everyone what happened. You won't, and will be unable to defend yourself. Again, if you just tell us what we want to know, I can help you both- I can convince your companion that you didn't talk, and you can walk away and be honored warriors in death. Or you can suffer for the rest of your miserable life, spit upon in death as a traitor. Noah leans in, getting in the Kobold's personal space. The choice is yours. Now, I'm going to ask you one more time. Who. Is. Gyrax?

I'm not sure if this is Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff, or a mix of all of them. I'm not entirely sure what skills to roll, so if you want to roll them and/or tell me the skills involved, that would be appreciated.

Keylac
2012-08-16, 03:18 PM
Wacin, still refusing to look at anyone, starts to speak, the yips muted and fearful.

"Gyrax is Tyrant. Leads Clawed First tribe. All kobolds obey him." Another whimper. "He great warrior. Terrible anger. He kill us for losing. Kill you for being here. Kill everything."

Noah:Is Gyrax a Kobold or a Dragon?

Here, Wacin blinks, surprised and offended by the question. "Gyrax not dragon! Dragons great! Noble! Gyrax is terrible, not noble. Gyrax not kobold either. No kobold that cruel. He... he large, he vicious, he fearsome. I know not what he is."

Noah: Are there any spellcasters in your tribe?

Wacin nods, jerkily. "Fireclaw. He great mage. He burns flesh to ash. He have mighty magic."

Noah: How many warriors are there in your clan?

Wacin looks slightly confused. "Many. Many warriors, many hunters, many in tribe."

Noah: What do you know of the treasures in the mansion?

"Gyrax has all treasures. Give him anything we find. We keep shiny trinkets." He glances at the stones and metal bits dumped out of his pouch by Melissa. "He let us keep those."

OOC
Actually, you don't have to roll anything else to get some info. Your intimidate check worked on this guy, just needed to shut up the other one. :smallsmile:. Still, if you plan to lie to him at any point, roll a Bluff check. You might also want a Sense Motive, in case he gets the balls to lie to you.

EDIT: I added in the questions Noah asked OOC.

You're not going to get a better answer on the question of how many by the way. These kobolds aren't particularly bright (dumber then normal in fact), and he doesn't know how to count very high.

Figment_
2012-08-17, 11:09 AM
Seeing Noah's interrogation, Edwin listens to the terrified creature's information. Then he addresses the group in the common tongue.

Now that we have found out what we can from these creatures, what are we going to do with them?

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-17, 09:14 PM
Benedict stands at a distance from the interrogation. Messy business. He preferred to cast spells; let the clerics sort out the rest. Half-listening to the kobold's terrified yapping, he squats down on his haunches and rummages in his pack. Producing a small pouch of tobacco, he rolls a cigarette, licking the paper with his tongue to keep it together. Carefully, he strikes a spark on his flint and tinder, cupping the small flame with a hand. Finally, he stands, letting out a sigh as he expels the smoke from his nostrils, letting it curl around his head.
At Edwin's question, he raises an eyebrow, then takes another drag.
"...They're just kobolds. Worlds don't really hang in the balance, here."
He sighs, and stamps out the cigarette with the heel of his boot.
"They attacked us on the road, right? I say we try them as highwaymen. What's the punishment for attempted murder?"

Shades of Gray
2012-08-19, 08:57 PM
Sir Morgan stood up tall. "Listen, we've not much time. Who knows, there may have been another kobold who went to alert Gyrax at the sight of us. We should tie them up and leave them by the road, maybe with a note, and let whatever authorities deal with them."

The Knight began to stretch. "I am not a man of the law, but they will be dealt with by one. We do not exactly have time for a trial; I also doubt that these creatures would even warrant one."

Figment_
2012-08-20, 08:14 AM
Well, If you really wanted, I could look up the exact penalty for attempted murder. I don't think we have the time though. Tying them up might be good, if we aren't just going to kill them. i mean, would they give us mercy if we were prisoners? I think we'd be lunch.

Whatever we decide, we should decide fast.

Fable Wright
2012-08-20, 08:50 AM
Noah looks at the rest of the group, somewhat taken aback. Why is there any question about what to do with them? The result will be the same. Either they, members of an unrepresented group in the kingdom that don't speak Common nor are likable in any way are put on trial for attempted murder on a group of people with an Adventurer's Permit on a military-sanctioned job and forced to languish for weeks and being tortured by the futile hope that they would be freed while the verdict is being delivered, or we put them out of their misery here and now, where their deaths would be regarded as those who died defending their home and given the proper respect, unlike they would if they were tried in a city. It would be a kindness to put them out of their misery now and give them a proper funeral. It's a better offer than they would get under the jurisdiction of any courts, anyways. Or we could ask them which they prefer.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-20, 09:01 AM
Benedict winces at the scythe-wielding mans verbosity.
"...'Or we can just kill them' would have sufficed. You spend a lot of time talking to gravestones in your spare time? Look, I wasn't saying we put them on trial. I was saying we put them out of their misery. You hang bandits and highwaymen, right? We can give them an even cleaner death than that. I say you do it, Mr. Scythe, since you seem so keen on the bloody details."
He looks at Noah knowingly; he didn't catch all of the discussion in Draconic, but he seems to imply he heard enough.

Fable Wright
2012-08-20, 09:14 AM
Noah raises his eye at Benedict. Some people prefer a reason to kill people that inconvenience them; just saying "killing them" usually doesn't suffice. And given that you all don't really know me yet, I'd prefer to give a reason rather than let you get wrong ideas form about me.

Figment_
2012-08-20, 11:49 AM
These things are vermin to my people. My elders would have killed them already. Still, I don't relish cold blooded killing of anything. I see the need, but I wish there was another way.

He sighs and squares his shoulders.

I will do it.. If I cannot handle this, I need to know now and give this writ back.

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-21, 04:19 PM
Having held off patching the kobolds leg while Noah interrogated it Melissa listens to the others argue about what to do with them now in silence.
With a sigh she leans back and places the forceps from her left hand back into the pack.

A moment later the kobold she was attending was rapidly bleeding out onto the grass, a single clinical cut through it's jugular as her free hand swiftly turned it's head away while she rose up to her feet as it gurgled.

A few steps, a moment low and the ground the unconscious kobold lies on is being soaked by it's blood.

Shades of Gray
2012-08-21, 06:58 PM
The old man winced and turned away. "Life is life, and we are not murderers. It is not up to us to decide whether they lived or died," he shook his head. "Clearly things have changed since I was out in the field; apparently we kill the defenseless out of convenience," the man grumbled.

Figment_
2012-08-21, 07:34 PM
Maybe we should think of it this way, would we have shown them any mercy if they hadn't tried to run? If they had kept fighting, they would have died just the same. The rules of war are not the same as the rules of adventuring, it seems.

Let's move on now, we have a job to do.

Fable Wright
2012-08-21, 08:16 PM
Noah gives Edwin a steady look. The least we can do now is to send them off in the traditional Kobold fashion; stripping them of all their valuables and then dumping them in a ditch somewhere. He tilts his head, as if considering what he just said for a moment. Now that I think about it, that does seem like an odd tradition... regardless, it's their way. With that, he begins rummaging around the Kobolds' things, putting the loot he finds in the middle of the ambush site.

Keylac
2012-08-21, 09:57 PM
Stripping the bodies of their valuable - and less so - items takes but a few minutes, as does preparing a shallow grave for them. By the time it's done, there's no more then an hour or so of light left. You'll have to decide if you want to camp for the night, knowing the kobolds might be missed by morning, or press on, perhaps into the darkness.

OOC
I find that most people don't prefer to move on during night time, so if you want to camp, feel free. Just make a post describing what you start doing in the morning. Otherwise, head on out. :smallsmile:

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-22, 04:17 PM
Benedict had not spoken much to the elderly knight out of something approaching respect, at least for one's elders. But he was growing increasingly suspicious of his presence here, now. Why wasn't he retired somewhere? What was he still doing, putting his life on the line? And why did he care what happened to the kobolds, considering what he had just done to a few of them with that mace?

The group was increasingly strange to him. There were less hard-and-fast rules, less regulations. This must be the adventuring life, then.
"We making camp? I'd prefer not to tromp around in the haunted house at night. I can tend to the horses..."
He moves in the direction of the steeds, wishing he hadn't stamped out his cigarette so quickly...

Fable Wright
2012-08-23, 01:30 AM
Why shouldn't we go in at night? There isn't that much light in the daytime, and by the time the night ends, the Kobold tribe will know we're here. The window where we can explore without wary Kobolds dotting the manor will close before daylight; we should take advantage of it while we can. He looks thoughtful for a second. We didn't use up that many resources, either- the spellcasters among us still have enough juice for one or two more encounters, and letting the energies just dissipate over the night seems wasteful. As he says this, he walks over to his scythe, carefully brushes it off, and checks his grip on it. I have sunrods and I know a few cantrips to light up our way. The lack of light won't really be a problem for us, and again, the element of surprise is invaluable. I think we should go.

Figment_
2012-08-23, 07:46 AM
That fight has left me wide awake. I vote for carrying on, we're sitting ducks out here, and we don't want to lose our advantage of surprise.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-23, 04:11 PM
Benedict turns, listening to Noah. He taps a boot in the dirt.
"I don't like the idea of leaving the horses unguarded in the dark. Those kobolds could sneak up on them."
He adjusts the straps on his gauntlet.
"However, I'd put money on my horse stomping those kobolds into paste before they could bring her down. Fair enough, Noah, I'm game to press on. Wish my ribs didn't hurt so bad; I took a nasty hit from one of those slings."

limejuicepowder
2012-08-23, 08:22 PM
Throughout the interrogation and subsequent conversation, Chroll watched the group with a curious eye. These people's ways are different, and he had much to learn. It puzzled him why they seemed to think the kobold's actions were "wrong." After all, this was their homeland, and we invaded it. Chroll did not see wrong or right in this, but it was certainly natural - and predictable.

What would you call de kobold who come to your city, destroying, and take de captives and debate de worth of you lives, den kill calmly?

He said, but only his spirit hawk heard.

Musing in silence, Chroll finally speaks up

We should continue in de night. It is best to not draw de rest of de tribe, and make quick on our journey. I is ready to continue.

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-25, 05:31 PM
"We do not know where the fellows of these may be, resting under these eaves may thus be dangerous for us. Or when they may be expected back. Let us press on swiftly."

Figment_
2012-08-25, 11:16 PM
Well, It seems to be settled, then. Let's move on.

Edwin reloads his crossbow and takes his designated spot near the back of the group

Keylac
2012-08-26, 06:42 PM
The day steadily fades as you approach the manor house, shadows lengthening, reaching away from the setting sun. The courtyard seems almost eerie now, the only sounds being your footfalls across the broken cobblestones and the quiet clanking of your companions armor.

Upon close inspection, the front doors prove to be unlocked, and in decent repair. Something has obviously been using them to come and go; the kobolds seem the most likely suspects. A last glance around to check that everyone's ready, and you're ready to open the doors and venture inside.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-27, 09:10 PM
Chroll steps forward and pushes the doors open. As his eyes search the gloom, he suddenly raises his hand and says Wait....dis cave breathe wit a foul breath. We need to guard us from da angry spirits.

Taking a few steps back, Chroll digs a small pouch from his backpack. Untying the knot holding the pouch closed, he proceeds to pour the contents of the pouch in a fine line, forming a circle roughly 5 ft in diameter. Picking more items from his belt pouches, Chroll lays what seems to be 6 spider legs, each about 2 inches long, at regular intervals around the circle. Step in to da circle and I will begin da spell

Shades of Gray
2012-08-28, 12:14 PM
"No thank you," the old knight declares, stepping out of the circle. "I do not trust your brand of magic, Mr. Chroll. I speak not against you as a person, but I do not believe in these spirits you are going on about. With Krin by my side and as my witness, I will survive without any of these pagan forces."

The knight tries to remain as polite as possible, though he does not realize the full extent of the harm in his words.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-08-28, 04:13 PM
Benedict observes the proceedings, his expression betraying a bit of bemusement. Still, the strange shaman's antics are intriguing to him, if they are indeed actual magic.

Benedict will attempt to recognize if what Chroll is doing is an actual spell.
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Figment_
2012-08-28, 05:47 PM
I can use all the help I can get. Besides, his last spirit call was what put most of my insides back where they should be.

Edwin steps within the circle, and waits.

Fable Wright
2012-08-28, 06:01 PM
Noah looks at the circle on the ground. Chroll, what, exactly, does this spell do? He pauses for a second, and then asks, Hm... is this actually a spell, in the sense that Benedict and I cast them, or is this more of a ritual?

limejuicepowder
2012-08-28, 06:43 PM
Chroll fixes Noah with an unwavering gaze lasting several seconds before responding. Cannot say what power comes to you call. I ask da spirits for power, and most times dey answer. Now I ask dem to protect us, but it your choice to take da protection.

Turning slightly to address the entire group, Chroll says I ask 6 spirit to guard us, but if dey not have 6 to protect, I must ask for dey forgiveness, or dey might be....angry

Shades of Gray
2012-08-28, 07:05 PM
"Let these "spirits" double up on one of you, then. For I will have no part in this. Now, exactly how long will this "spell" take?" the old knight asks incredulously. He relaxes the grip on his mace, his body not tensed up any more.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-29, 07:22 PM
Double up? Chroll gives the knight a quizzical look, not quite understanding the term. Cannot say how long it take to appease angry spirit. Depend on de spirit. Could be short time, like arrow's flight. Could be long time, like finding arrow after it go to bushes.

Fable Wright
2012-08-29, 09:25 PM
Noah shrugs and steps into the circle. It can't hurt. If anyone wants to give me help, I'll take it.

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-30, 10:50 AM
Spending the time Sir Anderson takes arguing with Chroll to make a close inspect of the shamans rough circle Melissa finally makes a half shrug and follows Noah silently into the circle.

Spellcraft to id [roll0]

limejuicepowder
2012-08-30, 01:30 PM
Assuming that everyone who would agree to step in to the circle has already, Chroll steps in himself and begins to chant. In his let hand he holds a small sprig of some kind of plant. After a few seconds, he crushes the plant between his hands and breathes deep of the fumes. He then bends down and picks up one of the spider legs, and quickly pops it in to his mouth. After chewing and swallowing, he turn to the group and say Eat, pointing at the spider legs.

Figment_
2012-08-30, 08:35 PM
Well, down the hatch? *gulp*

limejuicepowder
2012-08-31, 06:14 PM
Stepping out of the circle, Chroll squats down just outside the finely poured sand and closes his eyes. His arms hang limply by his sides. Although he does not make a single move or sound, it is clear that he is concentrating hard. He does not stir for a full minute, but then he tilts his head to one side, as if listening to something that doesn't quite make sense.

Finally standing, he says Dey are not insulted by dey rebuke. Anyone who wish for a spirit guard may take one in to dare body, as I have. Anyone who does not is forgiven

Taking out his sling and readying his shield, Chroll turns towards the open door.

Lostbutseeking
2012-09-02, 05:23 PM
Staring impassively at the spider for a long moment Melissa's mind wanders back to her time as gutter rat and food she ate as a matter of course.

"I'm sure I've had worse at some point."
And then it is gone. It is foul, but brief and she has indeed had worse.

Fable Wright
2012-09-02, 07:08 PM
Noah looks at the spider leg that was offered to him. Only one? This is barely even a snack. He casually pops it into his mouth anyways, crunching it as he walks into the interior of the mansion. Could use some seasoning. Let's get going.

Shades of Gray
2012-09-05, 01:11 AM
The old knight steps in front of the gravekeeper, putting a gauntleted hand on his shoulder. "Age before beauty," he declares with a slight smile, followed by a troubled look as he removes his hand from the man's shoulder and furiously wipes it with his cape to remove the taint of Chroll's "spirits."

Krin save me, Sir Anderson prays as he lowers his visor and produces his mace and shield.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-09-05, 12:47 PM
Ben watches the strange ritual unfold with some curiosity, but does not participate. He shrugs, and follows the aged knight into the manse.

Keylac
2012-09-05, 04:45 PM
The manor doors open easily. Before you lies the entrance hall of the keep. It was probably once rather grand, but is now in ruins. The floor is covered in dirt and leaves. The walls are lined with alcoves, now empty except for filth, while the rotted remains of tapestries still cling to the walls. Thankfully, enough light seems to be coming in from windows and holes in the ceiling to allow you to see.

Two doors lie across from each other, about 25 feet in, and the entrance way ends in what appears to be a much larger room.

OOC
Here (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByxsmGLMsVmzZWlfR01fb3VzSk0)'s a map of what you've explored so far. Also, the entire Ground Floor is under Low-Light Conditions.

Lostbutseeking
2012-09-07, 07:07 PM
In the gloom, Melissa fumbles in her pack for awhile before she finally retrieves the map to the vault they had been given. Spreading it out and peering at it for a little while, murmuring under her breath as she stares.

"Let us see now, which way are we to go..."

Figment_
2012-09-08, 07:37 AM
*whispers*I am going to sneak up to those openings there and see if I can hear or spot anything. Just to that spot up ahead and back.

He sneaks off, crossbow loaded and at the ready.

Hide: [roll0]
Move silently: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Lostbutseeking
2012-09-11, 07:00 PM
After peering at the map for a minute Melissa shakes her head.

Speaking softly "This map will do us no good until we find a way down first. When our gnomish friend returns we should move in and seek a way down, there is like to be one in the servants section near the kitchens I imagine."

Keylac
2012-09-12, 04:23 PM
As Edwin creeps down the hall towards the open doors, he's alert for any signs of danger, but detects none. Reaching the doors, he can study what lies beyond them.

The door on the west wall leads to a large room. The remains of bunks line the walls, and broken tables and chairs fill the center. Judging by it's location right next to the door and the obvious arrangements for many people to sleep here, you're pretty sure this was the house's guardroom. There's a door in the west wall, right across from the one you look through, and another, closed, lie in the north wall.

The room to the east proves less interesting. Nothing remains in the room but a few broken chairs, small tables, and rotten, tattered couches. There aren't any doors leading out of the room, except the one you look in from.

OOC
Bloedy Hell, I'm sorry guys. I'd written a post on what Edwin saw, but apparently it didn't post. Serves me right for being in a rush.

Figment_
2012-09-13, 07:25 AM
The gnome takes in these two rooms and motions for his party members to move up to him. Not waiting for their reply, he flits past the doors, up to the opening into the large room that lies in front of the party. Keeping pressed up against one of the walls, he comes to the very edge of the threshold and carefully examines the threshold and the room before him.

Hide: [roll0]
Move silent: [roll1]
Listen:[roll2]
Spot: [roll3]
Search (Trapfinding): [roll4]

Keylac
2012-09-13, 07:16 PM
As Edwin moves away from the doors, heading for the end of the Entrance Hall, he stops short, barely in time. Right in front of him is a camouflaged pit trap that he almost fell into. Whoever set it must have dug up the floor to fit it in.

OOC
Assuming you want to use Disable Device on it you're disabling the covering, not the hole of course. :smalltongue: It's also a DC 20 to dismantle it, and while doing that (or investigating it separately from disabling it) you can find out the following:1) It's 10 feet square, filling the last square before the large room. 2) It's also of kobold manufacture. 3) It's a DC 10 jump with a running start (20 without) to clear it. 4) There's also a 6 inch rim along the edges that can be walked across (DC 10 Balance for Edwin, 15 for the big folk).

Figment_
2012-09-14, 07:34 AM
An almost inaudible squeak escapes Edwin's mouth as he nearly steps on the covering of the pit trap.

He looks more carefully at the ground and notes the edges of the pit. Reaching into his pouch, he pulls out a stub of plain chalk, and marks a line about a foot from the mouth of the trap.

He whispers into the air next to him, using an old gnomish cantrip to have his words float back to his fellow adventurers:

*whispers and uses message spell to Melissa*

It's OK to move up to me, but be careful and quiet; there is a pit trap just past me. I marked the edge on this side with chalk.

Lostbutseeking
2012-09-15, 06:51 PM
Gesturing for the others to follow her, Melissa advances up the hallway to join Edwin, eyeing and staying back from the line and motioning for the others to stop here.