PDA

View Full Version : Martial PrC help

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 12:46 PM
I'm currently playing a ranger6 using the strong arm variant and I don't plan on going past ranger11 and I can't seem to find a good PrC. My character is built more like a fighter so most conventional ranger PrC are no good, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate the help.

BTW: the strong arm variant gives you power attack improved sunder an great cleave for your combat mastery.

I was also wondering if I should use the fullblade or the greathammer for my exotic weapon.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-26, 12:52 PM
You might pick up a level in Exotic Weapon Master in CW for the 2x str to damage trick. Between those two weapons the differences are negligable. I'd pick the hammer if you like to make bigger crits and the sword if you like to crit more often.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 12:54 PM
You might pick up a level in Exotic Weapon Master in CW for the 2x str to damage trick. Between those two weapons the differences are negligable. I'd pick the hammer if you like to make bigger crits and the sword if you like to crit more often.

Actually the hammer is 1d12 19-20×4 and the sword is 2d8 19-20×2

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-26, 12:58 PM
If that hammer hasn't been errata'd then it's mechanically the single most damaging weapon available. I very much doubt that it hasn't been errata'd to only crit on 20 though.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:00 PM
It's probably better than the fullblade but i hate hammers. I wish there was an exotic axe.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-26, 01:06 PM
Greathammer is definitely the better choice, considering RAW you'll take a -2 to hit with a Fullblade due to it being an inappropriately sized weapon.

I'd probably dip one level of Barbarian for the Lion spiritual totem ACF in CC to get pounce, probably also Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) with Extra Rage at least once, or get two levels for Improved Trip via Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) to get Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). Pick up four Scout levels with the feat Swift Hunter to get Skirmish for all your Ranger levels. Put a wand chamber on your weapon and a Wand of Rhino's Rush. At level 20 you should have Ranger 14, no need for prestige classes at all.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-26, 01:07 PM
Use an axe then. The most important things when choosing a weapon are how many hands it takes to wield and whether it can do tricks. You're not going for tricks so any two-handed weapon will perform about the same in the long-run. Use what you like thematically, unless you're really concerned about an average 2-4 points of damage.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:11 PM
I plan on doing some sundering so I think I'll go with an adamantine greathammer. How man hit points would that get?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-26, 01:12 PM
Just save yourself a feat and use a Greataxe.

A two-handed hafted weapon has Hardness 5 and 10 HP by default, exactly what wood gets because it assumes a wooden haft and that's all you'd need to break. An adamantine version would have an adamantine head but probably still a wooden haft, so it would be unchanged, which is pretty bad. If you were to make the handle reinforced with adamantine, it would probably have Hardness 20 and 20 HP.

Keep in mind that each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon's hardness and +10 to its hit points.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:13 PM
It's just my first level feat so I cant replace it with any of the good feats I need so I'll just stick with the greathammer.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:28 PM

It looks like in order to use that trick it has to be a one handed weapon wielded in two hands like the bastard sword.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-26, 01:37 PM
It looks like in order to use that trick it has to be a one handed weapon wielded in two hands like the bastard sword.

While you can use that trick with any one-handed exotic, since you can always choose to use a one-handed weapon in both hands, you're right. Since you want to do some sundering though, there's another trick in the same class that gets you a bit of extra sundering damage, or one that lets you throw your hammer, or one that lets you use it to trip.

Actually those three tricks would be a solid reason to take all three levels of EWM.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:47 PM
I think i might do that, I was also looking at black guard. My feats BTW are EWP, improved bullrush, improved sunder, power attack, combat brute, track, endurance.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-26, 01:56 PM
Blackguard can be entertaining if you're into that sort of thing. Just make sure you pick up shock-trooper. You've already got the prereq's, and more combat options are never a bad thing.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 01:59 PM
Was planning on it, I got all my feats planned out to level 15.