PDA

View Full Version : Crafting your own items.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-26, 12:50 PM
Right I'm sure this is simple enough but my brain is melting in the heat and I just can't seem to figure this out.

Crafting Wondrous items:
I'm looking at page 285 on the DMG about crafting wondrous items but my mind is blanking.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me how much it would cost to craft bracers that give the level 2 ranger spell "Lion's Charge" (Spell Comp) with charges per day and the formula for that.

Duke of URL
2012-07-26, 02:05 PM
Use-activated or command word? If the latter, knock 10% off the final price...

Spell Level: 2
Caster Level: 4 (minimum ranger level 8 to cast a 2nd level spell, caster level is 1/2 class level)

Cost for 5 charges/day: use-activated (2,000 gp) x spell level (2) x caster level (4) = 16,000 gp. For less than 5 charges/day, it works out to 3,200 gp per charge.

Note: all custom items use pricing only as a guideline. In the end, it's a DM's job to compare the final item to other existing items to determine a comparable cost.

Edit: Thanks to the post below... I forgot to divide ranger levels by 2 to get caster level. Makes it much cheaper!

whibla
2012-07-26, 02:15 PM
The base formula is Spell level (2) x Caster Level (4) x Command Word Item Cost* (1800) x Charges per Day / 5 (#/5).

The body slot affinity for bracers is anything combat related, so there's no additional multiplier involved here.

So, the final cost will depend on how many charges per day you want the item to have:

1 Charge: Cost to create - 1440 gp & 116 xp. Sale price - 2880 gp.

3 Charges: Cost to create - 4320 gp & 346 xp. Sale price - 8640 gp.

5 Charges: Cost to create - 7200 gp & 576 xp. Sale price - 14400 gp.

I'll leave any other multiples as an exercise to the reader. :smallwink:

*You could alternatively specify that the item was use activated, in which case it would active on a charge action, and would work within the confines of a silence spell, for example. In that case the multiplier would be 2000 rather than 1800. The costs would be roughly 11% higher, in this case.

*EDIT* Forgot to actually check the level rangers got access to 2nd level spells (8th), at which point they count as a 4th level caster, not 3rd. My bad...

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 05:20 AM
Thanks a lot for that, it has rained today and is much cooler so my brain is working a tad faster (Curse my troll like brain) :smallbiggrin: