PDA

View Full Version : Help A (Druid) Girl Go Shopping?

Palanan
2012-07-26, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to work up a list of items for a fourth-level NPC, a druid/cleric who will be the party's healbot if required. She's a determined pacifist, so she won't be fighting on the front lines--but she will be in the thick of battle even so, tending to the ship's crew during actions.

She has the Touch of Healing reserve feat, so I'm thinking there won't be much need for healing items (but correct me if I'm wrong here). Apart from a ring of protection, what other items would be useful for keeping her safe while she's healing the fallen?

Snowbluff
2012-07-26, 02:10 PM
Rod of Extend/Chain Spell. Get your buffing on!

Also, a Monk's Belt + Luminous Armor (BoED) will make you pretty tough with a good Wis score.

HunterOfJello
2012-07-26, 02:13 PM
I'm going to skip over how unnecessary it is to have a character completely focused on healing and just make some suggestions.

~~~~~~~~

lots of Healing Kits

Amulet of Retributive Healing (SpC)
Armband of Maximized Healing (SpC)
Circlet of Solace (SpC)
Collar of Healing (SpC) (if you go druid)
Ring of Mystic Healing (SpC)
Spell Storing Weapon of some sort (use to attack undead or save up an extra healing spell in)

I would pick either Druid or Cleric to focus on. There are some decent healing PrCs out there.

Radiant Servant of Pelor is the super healer PrC. It's also good at taking out undead and pretty boss overall.

If you really want to super focus on healing, then take the Healing domain along with the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF from the PHB2. If you are not using that specific alternate class feature, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER take the healing domain.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-26, 02:24 PM
She could pick up some Healing Belts. In the long-term, it's quite efficient, coming in at 750gp for 6d6 healing per day, forever. If she needs to hit a lot of people at once, strap the belts on some helpers and have them go at it.

A wand or two of Lesser Vigor could be nice when you need to blow through charges like candy, but most injuries can be handled over a longer period of time (stabilize with one Healing Belt charge, wait till tomorrow to administer more). Larger, immediate bursts of healing can be handled with Cures.

There might be a spontaneous-healing Druid variant around somewhere.

Andorax
2012-07-26, 03:48 PM
In Dragon #342 (check with your DM if Dragon Magazine is allowed), there's a nifty item called a Medic Hat.

Cost 8,000. Whenever the wearer casts a conjuration (healing) spell, the wearer is protected by a sanctuary spell effect with a duration equal to one round per level of the healing spell cast. New castings overlap the duration, so only the most recent one applies.

It's hardly foolproof, but it's certainly not bad for your character concept, and might well come in handy at times.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-07-26, 04:07 PM
If the character is entirely focused on healing and she has room for a couple of feats, Mastery of Day and Night (and its prereq, Maximize spell) could be handy. It lets you cast all cure (and inflict) spells maximized without increasing the spell slot of casting time. It's in the Player's Guide to Eberron. I wouldn't take it as a PC just to pump up healing, but it might work for an NPC.

Diovid
2012-07-26, 04:15 PM
Maybe you could make it a healer (miniatures handbook) instead. See: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6849.0

In either case, Vow of Peace and/or Vow of Poverty might fit the character.

Palanan
2012-07-26, 04:16 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions so far. I should mention that I'm the DM, so I'll approve all sorts of things. :smallbiggrin:

I should also mention that as a fourth-level NPC, her budget is fairly limited, and items like a monk's belt are far beyond her reach. The wand of Lesser Vigor is a keeper, though, and the Ring of Mystic Healing is pricey but tempting.

Any other low-budget items come to mind? Anything else from Dragon magazine?

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-07-26, 04:24 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions so far. I should mention that I'm the DM, so I'll approve all sorts of things. :smallbiggrin:

I should also mention that as a fourth-level NPC, her budget is fairly limited, and items like a monk's belt are far beyond her reach. The wand of Lesser Vigor is a keeper, though, and the Ring of Mystic Healing is pricey but tempting.

Any other low-budget items come to mind? Anything else from Dragon magazine?As the DM, don't forget rule #1 of NPC Equipment: An NPC's budget is whatever the DM wants it to be; if you want her to have better stuff than NPC WBL allows, go for it. It's not like the fantasy IRS strictly monitors the value of all NPC property to make sure it's not too high.

(Edited for spelling.)

Crasical
2012-07-26, 05:15 PM
the Healing Belt and Wand of Vigor are really winners when it comes to hit point restoration. The only Item I know of that's comparative is the Inquisitor's Bracers, which heals an additional 5 HP per charge, but costs twice as much as the belt, doesn't provide the +2 competence bonus to heal checks, requires an extra swift action to activate, and requires you to slap your allies around to heal them (You may not consider this a negative). Whether it's an upgrade or not really depends on how much you want those +15 hit points a day and how much you want to spank your party members.

Palanan
2012-07-26, 05:47 PM
One of the PCs is already hitting on her, so she may forego the healing and just punch him anyway. :smalltongue:

Also, to answer Diovid's point, originally this was indeed a Vow of Poverty build...but at fourth level, there's not much room for anything else, so I decided just to let her character be pacifist (to a point, without penalties for the occasional lapse) and give her access to things like the wand of Lesser Vigor. I think it'll work out better for the PCs that way.

SowZ
2012-07-26, 06:10 PM
There is always the cloak of resistance which improves all saves and the amulet of natural armor.

Darrin
2012-07-26, 07:55 PM
Apart from a ring of protection, what other items would be useful for keeping her safe while she's healing the fallen?

Amulet of Tears (2300 GP, MIC). Up to 36 temp HP per day.

Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC). A la carte energy resistance 10 1/day. Also a good base item to add resistance/deflection bonuses to.

Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC). Continuous endure elements and resist cold/fire 10/15/20 as an immediate action 3/day.

Spellsink Scarab (2000 GP, MIC). 3 charges, immediate action to reduce spell/psionic damage by 2d6/3d6/4d6.

lianightdemon
2012-07-30, 05:04 AM
Make sure to get the party to help fund some of these expenses as well. More gold the team can get together for healing the more they can get healed after getting gashing wounds.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-30, 05:12 AM
Vow of poverty is a horrible horrible idea, vow of peace on the other hand will work to keep her alive. And I suggest to leave her as a full cleric, or as a full druid, multiclassing them is an aweful idea IMO

Prime32
2012-07-30, 10:48 AM
Vow of poverty is a horrible horrible idea, vow of peace on the other hand will work to keep her alive. And I suggest to leave her as a full cleric, or as a full druid, multiclassing them is an aweful idea IMOVoP at least makes things simpler to run - the party don't have to worry about giving her treasure. Seconded on the multiclassing though - if you want druid-ness then just take the Plant or Animal domain.