PDA

View Full Version : unarmed artificer

Prax4788
2012-07-26, 02:41 PM
I'm in a long term Eberron game playing a war forged with the adamantite body feat

my concept is to make a artificer who looks human and acts like a human monk intel he uses some of his items (DM is letting me fluff it like a magical cyborg dues ex style)

so the trouble im running in to is whats the best way to handle bringing this to life whats the best way to make a unarmed strike artificer

prestige classes are out in less we run in to them in game (DM is willing to work with me if its for concept)

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 02:56 PM
Luckily, as an Artificer you probably don't need any prestige classes, so no need to butt heads with your DM's silly policy on them.

The Battlefist (Eberron Campaign Setting) is probably the first thing you look at when optimizing a Warforged unarmed combatant, and you can use it in two ways. First, it increases your Slam damage and lets you enhance it. You can focus on Slam damage as a Warforged and still come out effective, especially at low levels. You can take feats to get a Second Slam and a bite attack, both I believe in Races of Eberron.

The other option would be to actually use Unarmed Strike. The Battlefist says it treats a Monk as being one size larger for unarmed damage, and is one of the few ways a Monk can get an enhancement bonus to attacks/damage, since you can't enchant a normal fist. RAW you would have to dip a level of Monk to get this benefit, but ask your DM if it applies to other unarmed combatants. If you go this route you'll need the feats Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike (the latter from Tome of Battle).

You can arguably combine the two options, but if you start using your arms as both slams and unarmed strikes in the same round your DM may get annoyed with you.

With either option, an Artificer is great at self-buffing. From simple stuff like Bull's Strength to using Alter Self to become a Warforged Charger, you've got lots of options to increase your size, damage, and defenses.

Prax4788
2012-07-26, 03:07 PM
the unarmed strike build might be a bit better seeing as how i can make me something like ring of the fang (races of dragon or dragon magic) so i dont need to spend the feat but would it be a must to get the extra attack from like two weapon? or should i just use one ?

does a battlefirst count as a weapon? or an unarmed strike?

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 03:19 PM
the unarmed strike build might be a bit better seeing as how i can make me something like ring of the fang (races of dragon or dragon magic) so i dont need to spend the feat but would it be a must to get the extra attack from like two weapon? or should i just use one ?

does a battlefirst count as a weapon? or an unarmed strike?

Some would argue that you can't TWF with two unarmed strikes. Regardless, there are other ways to get an extra attack, like Snap Kick (Tome of Battle). You don't need to go for extra attacks, boosting your damage should be more than sufficient given how far you can go as an Artificer.

Battlefist can enhance either slam or unarmed strike (or both really). It isn't a separate weapon in its own right.