PDA

View Full Version : Templates and Planar Binding

Roguenewb
2012-07-26, 03:12 PM
Is there anything to stop me from Planar Binding a 6 hd creature with a list of templates as long as my arm? If so, could you provide a book or page citation? If I am allowed, is there anything to restrict my power level when I do this?

Secondarily, are there any versions of Planar Binding for other kinds of creature types?

Thanks playgrounders!

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 03:15 PM
Wu Jens have Spirit Binding, with a whole list of types and subtypes available.

IIRC there's nothing to stop you from binding things with templates, and since many statted Planar Allys examples have templates this appears to be RAI as well. The fact that this allows indefinite lists of templates apparently failed to cross the designers' minds, like so many other things. Note that the chosen creature does have to exist somewhere.

Madara
2012-07-26, 03:40 PM
Wu Jens have Spirit Binding, with a whole list of types and subtypes available.

IIRC there's nothing to stop you from binding things with templates, and since many statted Planar Allys examples have templates this appears to be RAI as well. The fact that this allows indefinite lists of templates apparently failed to cross the designers' minds, like so many other things. Note that the chosen creature does have to exist somewhere.

And the templates cannot change the creature's type to something other than outsider.

Note that this goes both ways, apply a template to a creature that makes it an outsider, and it can be Bound. :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 03:47 PM
And the templates cannot change the creature's type to something other than outsider.

Note that this goes both ways, apply a template to a creature that makes it an outsider, and it can be Bound. :smallsmile:

This is even crazier for Wu Jen, since pretty much every creature type out there can be made into some sort of Ghost (enough to qualify for Spirit Binding), and their HD caps are higher.

Madara
2012-07-26, 03:52 PM
This is even crazier for Wu Jen, since pretty much every template out there can be made into some sort of Ghost (enough to qualify for Spirit Binding), and their HD caps are higher.

Very true, I made sure to mention that for the Wu Jen handbook.

That said, Wu Jen kinda need the boost. Compared to Wizards they aren't that great. Even with Uber Spirit Binding.

Roguenewb
2012-07-26, 04:12 PM
So I could bind a level 6 Half-Celestial Half-Dragon Half-Fey Half-Troll Half-Golem Feral Drow Cleric?

Fun.

EDIT: I forgot Paragon. Don't forget Paragon versions.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-26, 04:21 PM
So I could bind a level 6 Half-Celestial Half-Dragon Half-Fey Half-Troll Half-Golem Feral Drow Cleric?

Fun.

EDIT: I forgot Paragon. Don't forget Paragon versions.

Nope, that has class levels. Unless you know of a specific individual NPC with those class levels, you can't just decide to summon a creature with any particular level build. You'll get a creature of that race with all those templates, but there's no telling if it will have six levels or just be a Commoner 1.

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 04:27 PM
Nope, that has class levels. Unless you know of a specific individual NPC with those class levels, you can't just decide to summon a creature with any particular level build. You'll get a creature of that race with all those templates, but there's no telling if it will have six levels or just be a Commoner 1.

Why are levels any different from templates in this respect? Surely it's as likely you'll see a Half-Fiend Drow Cleric 6 as a Half-Fiend Half-Fey Drow Commoner 6?

Roguenewb
2012-07-26, 04:28 PM
Point taken. So replace Drow Cleric 6 with a Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid race with 6 Racial HD, so you get something reliable.

Sudain
2012-07-26, 04:32 PM
Interesting, I'll have to remember this.

But... would your DM allow it from a common sense and power perspective?

Roguenewb
2012-07-26, 04:36 PM
I'm planning on playing a wizard going insane and dedicating himself to the Far Realms, and I wanted to summon Pseudonaturals and Half-Farspawn, and now I can! If you do that thing I said with all the templates, a smart DM will hit you. Probably with the monster you just summoned.

Sudain
2012-07-26, 04:59 PM
lol Probably.

Though it occurs to me... what's to stop a called devil/demon from using it's summon others of it's kind ability?

1) Call devil.
2) Devil summons critters of it's kind
3) critters smudge/break circle of protection?

dextercorvia
2012-07-26, 05:00 PM
Make sure that you don't add templates that get Charisma too high.

Urpriest
2012-07-26, 06:00 PM
lol Probably.

Though it occurs to me... what's to stop a called devil/demon from using it's summon others of it's kind ability?

1) Call devil.
2) Devil summons critters of it's kind
3) critters smudge/break circle of protection?

None of their abilities can cross the diagram, and anything summoned ends up inside the same diagram. Plus, this probably qualifies as disturbing the diagram indirectly.

Roguenewb
2012-07-27, 01:12 PM
I thought summoned creatures couldn't summon.

Urpriest
2012-07-27, 01:25 PM
I thought summoned creatures couldn't summon.

Summoned. No restriction on called.