PDA

View Full Version : Any race/class/combo for a "possessed armor knight"?

7RED7
2012-07-26, 05:13 PM
I was thinking about making some sort of class based on the ideas of a poltergeist and classic hollywood haunted suit of armor because I didn't see anything like that out there (mostly because I'm not sure what you'd actually search for).

http://imagescale.tumblr.com/image/1280/m3a0y7kW2y1rtnhhno1.jpg

I want to see if there's anything that could work before trying to homebrew a class or race.
I'd like to come up with something that is a disembodied psychic presence who can interact with objects through telekinesis, but has to use arms and armor to give it functional form that can perform actions without difficulty.
It wouldn't be undead or an actual ghost, just a presence with a missing material body. I really want to play up the psychic haunted armor concept as opposed to just having it be a super strong sword swinger or master of a thousand maneuvers, and find some feats/abilities that fit the theme better.

The particular character I want to make is a blacksmith/quartermaster/veteran from a small order of knights. After thwarting the attempts of a powerful wizard to a nearby town, the order found themselves to be cursed with great pain in both body and mind during the subsequent weeks. After almost a month of torment, the order woke to find that their bodies had been stolen in the night. They discovered that they could still move, speak to each other, and interact with the world (albeit with strenuous focus of will), but could not find any evidence of what had happened to their bodies. Instinctively, they took up their arms (which felt almost more natural than ever before, and seemed to allow them to interact with the environment with almost no psychic strain) and decided that they would not rest until every last one of their number was either returned to their body, or at least aware of its fate. The brother and sister knights of the order then left each other to search the world for the missing bodies of the thirteen...

Heads_or_Tails
2012-07-26, 05:54 PM
Maybe something like a warforged psychic warrior? The fluff for the warforged seems like it could be fairly easily adapted to fit the haunted suit of armour aspect.

As for the psychic warrior, I admit my rather lacking familiarity with psionics so I just picked the class that had warrior in the name.

Knaight
2012-07-26, 06:14 PM
I'm going to assume that you mean in D&D 3.x. In that case, refluff a Warforged, take Psychic Warrior, and take the Psion Uncarnate prestige class, which, among other things, eventually grants the option of full incorporeality with at will telekinesis.

IncoherentEssay
2012-07-26, 06:15 PM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) are pretty much this sans armor. For that you need either Ghost Touch armor (which let's you keep passing through walls, undesired in this case i assume?) or Ghostly Grasp from Libris Mortis (Feat, requires Cha 15, lets you wear/wield/otherwise use corporeal items freely. Can't pass through anything with them though).
Both run into the slight issue of Str (nope) that unbodied have. Whether you substitute Charisma for it, count it as 10 (can't remember where it was, but nonabilities have a modifier of 0) or do something else altogether is up to the DM.

Knaight
2012-07-26, 06:18 PM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) are pretty much this sans armor. For that you need either Ghost Touch armor (which let's you keep passing through walls, undesired in this case i assume?) or Ghostly Grasp from Libris Mortis (Feat, requires Cha 15, lets you wear/wield/otherwise use corporeal items freely. Can't pass through anything with them though).
Both run into the slight issue of Str (nope) that unbodied have. Whether you substitute Charisma for it, count it as 10 (can't remember where it was, but nonabilities have a modifier of 0) or do something else altogether is up to the DM.

They are also EL 8, with 4 terrible racial hit dice. Hence, Psion Uncarnate.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-26, 06:31 PM
The Reth Dakala from Tome of Battle are halfway there, if you want a monster.

7RED7
2012-07-26, 09:35 PM
I'm sorting through all the suggestions and figuring out what may work. Thanks for the advice.

I did notice something interesting though. I noticed that the unbodied has no strength score. How many "No Score" abilities can an individual PC, NPC, Monster, etc. have and actually perform functionally in a party? (assuming anything goes as far as source material, and 3.x)?

Anxe
2012-07-26, 10:48 PM
Helmed Horror from Monsters of Faerun is exactly what you're looking for if you want a monster. Nimblewright from MM2 also works. Shrapnyl from MM2 seems like the best fit to me though. It can be fluffed as a suit of armor with a sword or other weapon. It can dis-corporate and take over bodies, so you've got the poltergeist thing there.

Unfortunately, none of my suggestions have ECL listed for them, so you'll have to do that part with your DM.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-26, 10:52 PM
I'm sorting through all the suggestions and figuring out what may work. Thanks for the advice.

I did notice something interesting though. I noticed that the unbodied has no strength score. How many "No Score" abilities can an individual PC, NPC, Monster, etc. have and actually perform functionally in a party? (assuming anything goes as far as source material, and 3.x)?

Str can be - if you're Incorporeal. Dex - means you're immobile, but the only creature I'm aware of with a Dex score of - is the Shrieker Fungus, so you'd have to find a way to Polymorph into one. Con - means you're an undead or construct.

So, 3 at most, since having any Mental score of - means you're either a mindless automaton or an inanimate object.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-26, 11:09 PM
Str can be - if you're Incorporeal. Dex - means you're immobile, but the only creature I'm aware of with a Dex score of - is the Shrieker Fungus, so you'd have to find a way to Polymorph into one. Con - means you're an undead or construct.

So, 3 at most, since having any Mental score of - means you're either a mindless automaton or an inanimate object.

An incorporeal robot Shieker Fungus... hmmm...

Khatoblepas
2012-07-27, 11:12 AM
Savage Species has the Ritual of Incorporeality, which gives you LA+2 and the incorporeal template... and no Undead type.

You can take the Ghostly Grasp feat (prereq: CHA 15 and Incorporeal Subtype) to wield corporeal items as if you were corporeal. So you're a ghostly figment that can use weapons and armor, Just throw on some full plate and you're ready to go. You'll be a flying, death dealing suit of armor in no time. You can be any class, too. I suggest some kind of Paladin gish to take advantage of your high CHA, though it might not be the best idea. I'm wary about suggesting Wilder, since Wilders are kind of inferior to Psions in every way.

------------

For the least ability scores:
True Mind Switch into Shrieker, die, become a ghost. No physical attributes whatsoever. (SO badass for psions, if you lack a DEX score you use your INT for Initiative AFAIK).

Least, unplayable ability scores:
Ghost Brute Shrieker.
Str -, Dex -, Con, -, Int -, Wis 2, Cha 1.
Pathetic, but somehow more dangerous than a normal Shrieker. Ghostly plants, away!

Igneel
2012-07-27, 05:51 PM
One possible idea is to use the Fiend Folio's Fiend of Possession PrC. Gets you the ability to not only possess armor, but weapons and other things as well.

Granted the original version is more aimed to be used by the DM, there are some tricks to get to use it. Easiest and fastest method is to use a race like Kaorti (Fiend Folio) to meet the Evil Outsider requirement, then take a class for the skill and Will save requirement like Beguiler.

I also made a 'rewrite' of FoP to make it easier to get into along with fixing up some of the mechanics. Found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12695726#post12695726).

Rejakor
2012-07-27, 06:14 PM
Become Necropolitan

Get haunt shifted

You now can move the suit of armour around the place, and pop out of it to scare people if you want.

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 05:32 AM
Not that the book is balanced correctly but Dreadguards in the MM2 are just haunted suits of armor.

DemonRoach
2012-07-28, 06:59 AM
Not that the book is balanced correctly but Dreadguards in the MM2 are just haunted suits of armor.

But sadly no LA.

Psyren
2012-07-28, 10:24 AM

I would just use the Unbodied's Assume Likeness ability to make yourself look like floating armor all you want. It's not like you actually need the metal for protection after all.

They are also EL 8, with 4 terrible racial hit dice. Hence, Psion Uncarnate.

Their HD aren't that bad since they stack with Psion levels. This puts you 4 levels behind, the same as the PrC.

The problem with being a Psion Uncarnate is that, before the capstone, you spend most of your time earthbound. And when you ARE ready to Shed Body, you'll have to throw any items you have in excess of {9-X} into your haversack or leave them behind.

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-28, 01:13 PM
Become Necropolitan

Get haunt shifted

You now can move the suit of armour around the place, and pop out of it to scare people if you want.

This. For extra fun, make it s suit of full plate made for a thri'kreen.

Duskranger
2012-07-28, 01:55 PM
This all sounds like a job for a Force Golem.

Everything fits. But sadly I don't know if it has LA or is playable.

Ezekiul
2012-07-29, 12:18 AM
I have played this before. The best way is a Fiend of Possession PrC, you can enter it at level 4 and be able to control a colossal suit of armor by level 9. Do like a binder 1/marshal 1/human paragon 1/Fiend of Possession X or something similar. Its a VERY tanky build. Through metals and magic enchants you can get 50-60 Hardness easy. the only thing to worry about is damage.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-29, 01:57 AM
This all sounds like a job for a Force Golem.

Everything fits. But sadly I don't know if it has LA or is playable.
It's a Golem.
Are *any* of them meant to be playable/have LA?

Igneel
2012-07-29, 02:26 AM
I have played this before. The best way is a Fiend of Possession PrC, you can enter it at level 4 and be able to control a colossal suit of armor by level 9. Do like a binder 1/marshal 1/human paragon 1/Fiend of Possession X or something similar. Its a VERY tanky build. Through metals and magic enchants you can get 50-60 Hardness easy. the only thing to worry about is damage.

Forgot to mention your method of obtaining Outsider type, Evil subtype =P
Even if you have to 'worry' about damage, staying Ethereal long enough to possess things like the floor or a wall doesn't really matter all that much especially if your not the 'driver'.

Still gonna suggest at least looking at my rewrite, clearer ability descriptions along with a little extra added on. ;)

WinWin
2012-07-29, 06:41 AM
Forgot to mention your method of obtaining Outsider type, Evil subtype =P

Human paragon?...Probably Vashar (BOVD, humanoid with (human and evil subtypes)). Add on the Otherwordly feat in oder to gain the Outsider type while retaining your subtypes.

Medic!
2012-07-29, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a good situation to lead up to a slightly fluffed tragic accident resulting from that wizard experimenting with forbidden [rituals/spell-boosting components/divine and arcane splicing/artifact-involved] and Magic Jar