PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranger two weapon fighting optimization

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-26, 09:16 PM
Okay, so as the title says I want a optimized build for Ranger, I am going to be an elf so keep that in mind other than that I'm open to suggestions.

gorfnab
2012-07-26, 10:09 PM
If 3.5 material is allowed how about a Swift Hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103)?

Otherwise I'm partial to a Switch Hitter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers) build.

deuxhero
2012-07-27, 12:36 AM
If you are TWFing (not recommended with the support PF gave archery), I'd recommend Alys over Drizzt and use throwing weapons, it avoids the "your entire build does nothing if the enemy is 6 feet away" problem.

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-27, 04:13 PM
This has to be pathfinder and I prefer melee.

grarrrg
2012-07-27, 05:06 PM
This has to be pathfinder and I prefer melee.

STR-based or DEX-based?

Point-Buy or Rolls?

Two Weapons or Weapon+Shield Bashing?

'Straight' Ranger, Archetypes, Multi-Class, PrC preferences? (yes or no)

Allowed Books?

Starting level?

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-27, 05:21 PM
What ever is better
Rolls
two weapon
no multiclassing or prcs
core apg ultimate combat and ultimate magic
starting level is yet to be established so below level 5 with suggested feats

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-27, 05:29 PM
Stats are: 17, 13, 13, 16, 16, 14

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-27, 06:16 PM
Use 2 shields and take the Weapon and Shield style. Start off w/ heavy and light shields, switch to 2 heavy shields around level 6+. In all cases, the shields should be spiked, and you'll want two +1 bashing heavy shields as soon as you can afford them

Level 2, you get Shield Slam, you now have a free bull rush you don't have to move with each time you hit. Level 6, you get shield master to remove ALL two-weapon penalties (by RAW, actually removes all attack penalties. period. But good luck finding a DM to play that by RAW) and use the shield enhancement bonus as a weapon enhancement bonus as well, making the TWF much much more affordable than it normally is.

After level 6, jump into Brawler Fighter. By 3rd level in it, you're rocking +1 to hit and +3 damage with the shields, on top of a small bull rush bonus. Pick up some gloves of dueling, and keep going.

Get the whole bull rush feat tree and team up with a sorc, wiz, druid, or summoner to cast battlefield control spells (clouds, pits, tentacle rape fields, etc...) for you to shove people into.

jmelesky
2012-07-27, 07:17 PM
After level 6, jump into Brawler Fighter. By 3rd level in it, you're rocking +1 to hit and +3 damage with the shields, on top of a small bull rush bonus. Pick up some gloves of dueling, and keep going.

Unfortunately, gloves of dueling don't work for Brawlers, as they trade away the class feature that triggers them (Weapon Training).

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-27, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately, gloves of dueling don't work for Brawlers, as they trade away the class feature that triggers them (Weapon Training).

I've chosen to ignore that strict RAW ruling, as if you follow that, every single specialty archetype that has a similar-to-weapon-training-but-different-name class feature is obsolete (since the gloves will give a fighter w/ WT a significant competitive edge). Archer fighter, for example, technically doesn't have WT, he just has +1 attack/damage w/ bows, that rises up to +4 at the exact same levels. So! You could be an archer fighter! Or, you could be a regular fighter and shoot your bow more accurately and hit harder with it! Makes total sense, right?!

If your DM is a RAW nazi, then yes, don't go Brawler, it will suck, just as every fighter archetype with "WT in all but name" feature will suck.
And by suck, I mean "worse at their chosen specialty than a generic fighter." Which might mean they're still quite decent at the melee business, but is still a very damning statement.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-27, 11:42 PM
The Brawler discussion is not really relevant since the OP wants to be a single class Ranger.

OP, I'd just pump Str as much as possible and get Double Slice, get dual light weapons and Piranha Strike. That should be enough to get by.

grarrrg
2012-07-28, 10:59 AM
Stats are: 17, 13, 13, 16, 16, 14

Good Rolls.
Good enough that the "STR-Based vs. DEX-Based" question is basically a moot point. We'll be leaning towards STR based though (i.e. pumping STR, DEX can stay where it starts).

You said Elf so mods will be +2 DEX, -2 CON, +2 INT

The 13's are going in INT and CHA. Period.

Put the 14 and a 16 in your choice of DEX/WIS, the Elf will bump the Dex up a notch (but you really only need 15 DEX for feats anyway).

Put the last 16 and the 17 in your choice of STR and CON, you might want to put the 17 in CON (dropping to 15) so that you can bump it up with your first Level Up stat increase.

There are only 2 feats that need more than 16 DEX to qualify for, and both can be picked up as Ranger bonus feats starting at level 10; 2-weap Rend, and Greater 2-weap, I recommend grabbing Rend first, it will be more useful.

1st level feat grab Two-Weapon fighting, take Double Slice with your Ranger bonus at level 2.

Choice of Ranger Archetype depends on a few things. Do you want to Keep Spellcasting? Animal Companion? Favored Enemy?

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-28, 11:25 AM
Don't care about favored enemy and loss of spell casting but I would preffer to keep animal companion.

Hylas
2012-07-29, 12:37 AM
At lower levels just pick your favorite weapons to use. At higher levels you might want to consider dual kukris and the critical line of feats. Staggering someone on a crit when you have a range of 15-20 is pretty nice (or if you like something else better than staggering, pick that). If you end up getting Weapon Focus then it'll count double if you dual wield them. Look for fun combos like that.

The thing about two shields though is that I remember some wording involving only your off-hand losing the penalties or something. I think shield spikes count as a weapon separate from the rest of the shield (i.e. you can have a +2 shield with +3 spikes on it) but I'm not sure. I remember someone using a +5 shield with +5 defending spikes on it to good effect.