PDA

View Full Version : Rules Clarification for Play-by-Post Games

Benjuri
2012-07-26, 10:31 PM
What is the ruling if a player wishes to play a character who's religion is from the real-world? I know that the discussion of real-world religion is a (very) banned topic, for good reason, but I have also seen games set in Classical, Victorian and Modern Earth before. This would seem to necessitate the use of RL religion. Other forums, including WotC, have similar rules, but have decided as long as it is strictly roleplay and not real-world discussion, it was okay. As this may become relevant some time down the road, I was hoping to clarify your takes on this scenario.

I know that the GitP mods takes this topic seriously, and I thank you for indulging my curiosity and uncertainty at this time.

Mystic Muse
2012-07-26, 11:03 PM
Religion is a very volatile topic, and it's probably best if you take it off the boards if it's going to get any real focus. The mods here have a very strict "No tolerance policy" when it comes to topics that break the rules, so it'd be best if it weren't in the game at all if you're going to play said game on this forum.

A good rule of thumb is, if you're ever in doubt, assume the answer is "Don't do it."

You can still ask the mods for rulings both now and in the future of course, but that rule has done me a lot of good in staying out of trouble.

Roland St. Jude
2012-07-26, 11:10 PM
Sheriff: The is real world vs. not real world, so as long as its in the fictional world of the PbP game, and not a discussion of real world religion. The danger in PbP is that the players get to arguing or discussing real world religion in the OOC thread. As long as you avoid that, what the Catholic Church does in your World of Darkness PbP probably isn't a problem. A game that centers on, dwells on, or fetishizes some Inappropriate Topic is probably better done elsewhere, though. As with all gray areas, I recommend erring on the side of caution and avoiding things you think may be problematic.