PDA

View Full Version : Getting rewards from a deity

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 10:50 PM
Are there any rules in any books for getting rewards from deities? If not does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to qualify for rewards or what these rewards might be?

My character currently worships the demon lord Yeenoghu. Obviously sacrifices and things like that make sense but how many would you say would be needed before you would even be acknowledged? If anyone has any other ideas on what could get a demon lords attention it would be appreciated.

I have my doubts that they have this listed in any books but I'm basically looking for a way to make it somewhat balanced.

Hyde
2012-07-26, 10:57 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness probably has something on rewards and sacrifices, but the idea of Deities granting boons as treasure wasn't really explored until 4e.

Boons in that game typically took the form of a static bonus to saves (well, the non-AC defenses) or skill bonuses, and ranged on up to minor or major spell-like abilities.

In 3.5, appropriate rewards would depend on your character class, but might include things like ability score increases, spell-like abilities, and the like.

You might be granted an artifact weapon or something.

Most non-item rewards will have item counterparts, the cost of which can be considered when deciding a particular boon is appropriate.

Otherwise, it would be entirely the DM's call as to what level of sacrifice constitutes "enough to get attention." I would consider a powerful cleric of a good deity sufficient, at least two levels above your own, enough to do the trick.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 11:05 PM
I just got a cool idea, I want a fiendish animal companion. A cleric could be difficult since I have to do it alone, several party members would not agree especially not the paladin. But I guess i could take a paladin, basically the same thing and I could easily handle one. The only problem I can see is that that is supremely evil and I'm CN.

Hyde
2012-07-26, 11:08 PM
Well, if you're CN, you're probably not going to be up on the whole "sacrifice" thing.

and really, wanting to associate with demons is at least a little evil.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 11:14 PM
Well CN is within one step of CE so technically i could even be a cleric of yeenoghu. Would it make sense to sacrifice an evil being to him? I know he is at odds with one of the other demon lords who rules minotaurs, perhaps sacrifice a minotaur or two?

AntiTrust
2012-07-26, 11:35 PM
In general I understood D&D to assume the sacrifice of intelligent beings to simply BE evil, the kind of intelligent being didn't matter.

Have the DM decide how to handle it by having a cleric of your god use commune or some other divination spell to simply ask how to gain a boon.

ima donkey
2012-07-26, 11:54 PM
IMO there isn't much difference between killing evil things because they are evil and have treasure (which is good) and sacrificing them for personal gain ( which is evil) either way they die. So why not benefit from their death? I think that's probably how a CN character would think too.

Hyde
2012-07-27, 05:57 AM
IMO there isn't much difference between killing evil things because they are evil and have treasure (which is good) and sacrificing them for personal gain ( which is evil) either way they die. So why not benefit from their death? I think that's probably how a CN character would think too.

That's a really weird "ends justify the means" scenario. I kind of like it, but...

As in life, intent matters, especially when your actions are being judged by those on high (or down below).
So killing the minotaurs to protect a village from their weekly raids in not the same as killing them to gain favor with your dark god (though the subsequent peaceful village would be considered what we call a positive extranality).

It really depends on how subjective a view your campaign world takes on alignment and actions. If Yeenoghu is a thing in your world, then it's probably the stock absolutist view of "there are actions that are evil regardless of whether or not you believe they are".

Basically: Your character doesn't have to think he's evil in order to be evil

For example- every perpetrator of atrocity in world history. (read: Hitler, et al).

Curmudgeon
2012-07-27, 07:13 AM
This happened to one of my characters back in 3.0 days, and I thought it was kind of cool (even if it did derail my character development plans). My character, a Rogue, was quite devout and was sent on a solo mission for his church. He did extremely well, and was awarded a divine boon: a +5 profane bonus to Wisdom. However, there was a catch: that bonus was only paid in +1 increments for each level of Cleric the character took thereafter. My PC also had to undergo a ritual to transform from Elf to Half-Elf to avoid multiclassing XP penalties. Still, +5 to a useful stat (shoring up poor Will saves, plus perception skills being important to a stealthy character) is nothing to sneeze at.

Acanous
2012-07-27, 07:37 AM
Weapon of Legacy, a Wish, One-Time use of that deity's favorite enforcer (A favor for a favor... Or a Balor for a Favor. That Rhymes, right?)
Aside from that, you could be rewarded by being written down in the holy book of your religeon, having the starting attitude of all devotees of that religeon increased by one (And decreasing the starting attitude of followers of opposed gods).
Adding a template could be a decent reward, like Fiendish. There's Lolth-Touched, Vecna-Blooded, Etc., so could be something for your patron in a splatbook somewhere.

Hyde
2012-07-27, 07:59 AM
Weapon of Legacy, a Wish, One-Time use of that deity's favorite enforcer (A favor for a favor... Or a Balor for a Favor. That Rhymes, right?)
Aside from that, you could be rewarded by being written down in the holy book of your religeon, having the starting attitude of all devotees of that religeon increased by one (And decreasing the starting attitude of followers of opposed gods).
Adding a template could be a decent reward, like Fiendish. There's Lolth-Touched, Vecna-Blooded, Etc., so could be something for your patron in a splatbook somewhere.

All of these are good examples, and represents a range of concrete rewards and abstract rewards.

I especially like the holy book bit, if demons were inclines to document things.

ima donkey
2012-07-27, 12:14 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness probably has something on rewards and sacrifices, but the idea of Deities granting boons as treasure wasn't really explored until 4e.

Boons in that game typically took the form of a static bonus to saves (well, the non-AC defenses) or skill bonuses, and ranged on up to minor or major spell-like abilities.

In 3.5, appropriate rewards would depend on your character class, but might include things like ability score increases, spell-like abilities, and the like.

You might be granted an artifact weapon or something.

Most non-item rewards will have item counterparts, the cost of which can be considered when deciding a particular boon is appropriate.

Otherwise, it would be entirely the DM's call as to what level of sacrifice constitutes "enough to get attention." I would consider a powerful cleric of a good deity sufficient, at least two levels above your own, enough to do the trick.

Turns out TBoVD does have a section on sacrifice and reward but most of the rewards are just 24 hour effects. Although the highest level reward is a wish, but you can only do it once.

Telonius
2012-07-27, 12:22 PM

Killing something just because it's Evil and has treasure ... is not Good. A ping on Detect Evil is not a killing license.

ima donkey
2012-07-27, 12:37 PM
Killing something just because it's Evil and has treasure ... is not Good. A ping on Detect Evil is not a killing license.

That's what d&d is though. You run around and kill monsters and take their stuff. Dont forget that paladins are almost obligated to kill things if they're evil.

Telonius
2012-07-27, 01:13 PM
That's what d&d is though. You run around and kill monsters and take their stuff. Dont forget that paladins are almost obligated to kill things if they're evil.

If that's the character you're playing, then that's fine; but it's neither Good (according to the rules) nor my own experience of what most D&D games are. I've never encountered an actual "Smite on sight" Paladin, and every group I've ever played with would send him on a quick trip to Fallsville.

Attacking a Demon is one thing; killing some random guy in town who happens to ping evil is another. Getting your rightful spoils at the end of a combat is one thing; sacrificing a helpless prisoner to an Evil god is something else entirely.

ima donkey
2012-07-27, 01:23 PM
If that's the character you're playing, then that's fine; but it's neither Good (according to the rules) nor my own experience of what most D&D games are. I've never encountered an actual "Smite on sight" Paladin, and every group I've ever played with would send him on a quick trip to Fallsville.

Attacking a Demon is one thing; killing some random guy in town who happens to ping evil is another. Getting your rightful spoils at the end of a combat is one thing; sacrificing a helpless prisoner to an Evil god is something else entirely.

I suppose your right, but I'm not trying to be good but not evil either I like to be able to do good things and bad things, it makes the game more fun to be able to play both sides.

The Redwolf
2012-07-27, 01:24 PM

This statement has started an almost hour-long discussion between myself and a friend. I personally agree with you.

ima donkey
2012-07-27, 01:32 PM
It's really a matter of play style I guess, most paladins I know tend to be the smiting types, but you aren't going to get far in d&d if you play nice guy with the monsters.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-27, 07:20 PM
You could create a custom Relic, using the rules in Compete Divine (are they in the MIC as well?).