PDA

View Full Version : Good alchemy items?

umbergod
2012-07-26, 11:10 PM
What would some examples of good alchemy items for a low level group? My wizard is 3rd level, transmutation specced, and built around alchemy, as part of my concept and back story. So what would be some good alchemy items to make before the adventure starts, besides the obvious ones :P

I currently plan on making farflame oil, as I am a human and can't see in the dark >.< also acid and fire sling bullets for use with the Launch Item cantrip, allowing me to bypass the -2 attack they incur via their odd size for sling use ^.^

VGLordR2
2012-07-26, 11:15 PM
Shapesand! For the low price of 100 gp, it can replicate just about any mundane item. (It can also do things like replicate major artifacts, but most people ignore that). You can find it in Sandstorm. However, I don't think it lists how much Shapesand you get when you buy it. It only says 12 pounds, but doesn't give a volume (which is important).

umbergod
2012-07-26, 11:23 PM
Shapesand! For the low price of 100 gp, it can replicate just about any mundane item. (It can also do things like replicate major artifacts, but most people ignore that). You can find it in Sandstorm. However, I don't think it lists how much Shapesand you get when you buy it. It only says 12 pounds, but doesn't give a volume (which is important).

Well if shapesand is just like real life sand, then 12 pounds isn't very much volume wise, something like maybe around a 6inch cube, maybe a little less.

VGLordR2
2012-07-26, 11:37 PM
Well if shapesand is just like real life sand, then 12 pounds isn't very much volume wise, something like maybe around a 6inch cube, maybe a little less.

Either way, it's cheap, versatile, and a 6-inch cube can actually go a long way for just about any small item you happen to need.

umbergod
2012-07-26, 11:50 PM
Either way, it's cheap, versatile, and a 6-inch cube can actually go a long way for just about any small item you happen to need.

That is very true. the weight is a little inhibiting, but not so much, since my strength is a 15

LeroyThad
2012-07-27, 12:11 AM
One smokestick is pretty sucky. But a good tactic I like to use is to distribute a bunch of smokesticks among the party in case of an Oh [expletive deleted]! moment, and then have an agreed upon signal (this is the part where your party bard gets to put his ranks into whistle to good use) to set every one of those smokesticks off. Also in the right conditions sunrods can be used to make enemies who have concealment by non-magical darkness more visible.

Happy adventuring!

Menteith
2012-07-27, 12:42 AM
Check out Shax's Handy Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) for a decent listing of Alchemicals. Make sure you scroll and get a good luck at the section titled, "Top Ten Alchemical Items".