PDA

View Full Version : Burning MAN

IonDragon
2012-07-27, 12:36 AM
Burning Man (http://youtu.be/yTNwxaV61gs) is coming up fast and I'm really bummed I can't go (there are currently several things standing in my way). I'm hopping to go next year or the year after.

Is anyone itP going? I think it would be pretty cool to have a GitP meet up there.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-07-27, 12:58 AM
At one point I want to go.

I'd probably pass out from heatstroke though.

Ice-bound Canadian does not do well under heat.

Rallicus
2012-07-27, 08:32 AM
Can't say it appeals to me.

The thought of being surrounded by dirty hippies on drugs.... ehhhh.

Kjata
2012-07-27, 09:45 AM

It appeals to me. However, spending $400 to get in... It would probably cost me close to $1200 for the entire trip, which is more than I can afford.

Wyntonian
2012-07-27, 09:57 AM
While it sounds awesome, it's also expensive as all hell. Yeah. I'd love to go join my brethren in one of my favorite parts of the world, but student loans get in the way. :smallfrown:

tensai_oni
2012-07-27, 09:59 AM

Congratulations on being condescending and insulting at the same time.

IonDragon
2012-07-27, 11:40 AM
It appeals to me. However, spending $400 to get in... It would probably cost me close to $1200 for the entire trip, which is more than I can afford.

It is more than a little bit steep, which is definitely one of the reasons I'm not going this year. For what you get though, it's not really that bad. The whole idea of the 'gift economy' means nothing there costs except the ice they truck in every day.

So people will set up things like bars and not charge for anything, there's no cover for the parties, etc.

EDIT: But then again, I'm coming from California, I've only got to drive a few hours... I am not having to take a space craft from Mars.

Crow
2012-07-28, 04:56 PM
Burning Man (http://youtu.be/yTNwxaV61gs) is coming up fast and I'm really bummed I can't go (there are currently several things standing in my way). I'm hopping to go next year or the year after.

Is anyone itP going? I think it would be pretty cool to have a GitP meet up there.

I've always wanted to go, so if you do end up going one of these years, hit me up. I'm near cent cal too, so maybe we can workout a carpool.

IonDragon
2012-07-28, 05:34 PM
I've always wanted to go, so if you do end up going one of these years, hit me up. I'm near cent cal too, so maybe we can workout a carpool.

That would be awesome if we could. I'm hoping to go with a couple of friends, and with any luck there will be enough of us to make renting a u-haul trailer for the duration affordable.

I'm slowly accumulating the things you would need but don't usually keep on hand. Just founds some 5 gallon water jugs at walmart for $7, and I've got plans for a swamp cooler that will be able to run the entire time we're there.

Dallas-Dakota
2012-07-29, 02:31 AM
I am, sometime ever, planning to go to a rough Spanish equivelant of it, called Nowhere, sometime ever...

IonDragon
2012-08-15, 12:50 PM
I had given up all hope of going this year, I had taken all the money I had set aside and spent it on a new car (which I am very happy about) and then someone tells me that there is a happening ticket exchange going on and I could get a ticket for as low as $240 :smalleek:

But there's absolutely no way I could get prepared in time, take the time off work, find people to go with.

*sigh*

So, next year is the year. I hope to see some of you there!