PDA

View Full Version : Savin money...but for what?

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 05:23 AM
Hello again Playground,

after a bit of lurking/advicing (is that written that way) or just babbling random stuff I come again with a question that is on my mind for quite some time.

Tonight I'm going to play my warlock again and since last session I'm unsure about the magic stuff I should aim to get.

So far I'm level 6, have a +1 Mithral Chainshirt, a Wand of Lesser Vigor (~40 charges left) and a Wand of Mage Armor for our Ninja (~8 charges left) a Hat of Disguise, a Handy Haversack and a Cape of Resistance. I think there is something else but I can't remember it right now.

Mundane Gear is a Masterworked Longspear (funny that the spear is a reach weapon while Longspear is not...) + Clothing.

Our Party composition Cleric 5/Crusader 1, she is going for RKV but refluffed for chauntea and is literally our healbot, invested her feats mostly for healing which saved our lives and a Ninja/Fighter mix going for duelant, fighting with 2 Kama's and so far having Gloves of Dex and bracers of armor or something like that. We all have a Cape of Resistance +1, dunno what they else have, I think the cleric has a +1 Weapon with an extraordinary special ability and a +1 Fullplate. is not that balanced.

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Sudden Still
Empower SLA

Invocations:
See the Unseen
Entropic Warding
Eldritch Spear
Flee the Scene

But I'm in the middle of an adventure right now, running around with 1,1k Gold and no clue in what to invest. Thought about that healing waistband with 3 charges/day to heal either 1d8, 2d8 or 3d8 or something like that.

My stats are: 13/14 Str (not sure) 19 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha or something along this line.

TL;DR
Level 6 low OP warlock sitting on 1100 Gold + gold income in current session looking for which Items to spend this on (saving it for).

I hope you can help me.

Hyde
2012-07-27, 05:33 AM
advising

Well, basically if you notice something lacking in combat, that might be the way to go.

If you're having trouble hitting, get dex+ crap (probably need to save up before any of it's purchasable)

Low AC? necklace of deflection (2k, iirc) or the whatevers of natural armor (whatever)

If you don't have any immediate concerns, there's nothing wrong with saving money.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 05:37 AM
It is always nice to carry around a few scrolls of fireball or other big group DPS spell if you are able to use it (Taking a 10 on UMD is nice:smallbiggrin:)

Saving up for + stat gear is nice. A bit more Cha if you're talking/want better DC's. Dex is nice for AC and hitting with your blasts.

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 06:37 AM
advising
Thanks, I'm working on it... at least I wasj in a course spronsored by the company I work for.

Well, basically if you notice something lacking in combat, that might be the way to go.

If you're having trouble hitting, get dex+ crap (probably need to save up before any of it's purchasable)

Low AC? necklace of deflection (2k, iirc) or the whatevers of natural armor (whatever)

Hmm quite no...? Hittin is brainstupidly easy. Hitting on a 2 (having +8 and needing a 10 to hit) last session was common. My AC is 19... that's for level 6 not quite that good but I have a miss chance against ranged attacks (20%) and rarely engage melee anyway, might doing some cast from wand then buff the ninja with Mage armor then retreat.

If you don't have any immediate concerns, there's nothing wrong with saving money.

Jeah, but for what? Weapon enchants aren't that necessary for me since I'm a ranged "nuker".

It is always nice to carry around a few scrolls of fireball or other big group DPS spell if you are able to use it (Taking a 10 on UMD is nice:smallbiggrin:)

I think Fireball is one level away from taking 10. Afaik I need a 20+spelllevel and have a +12 modifier. (or a flat 25 to activate blindly). Any other spells I should consider getting?

Saving up for + stat gear is nice. A bit more Cha if you're talking/want better DC's. Dex is nice for AC and hitting with your blasts.

Talking... jeah not so much, my character has for disguise his hat, bluffing is ok at how high it is and diplomacy isn't that useful for me. DC's... I think I don't play with any DC so far. My Blast DMG is more a problem than hitting. Piercing Mag Res is a pain though. Having only my d20+6...

The main problem I ran into is to identify things and that doesn't even bother me that big.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 06:53 AM
My Blast DMG is more a problem than hitting. Piercing Mag Res is a pain though. Having only my d20+6...

The main problem I ran into is to identify things and that doesn't even bother me that big.

There is a rod in Compleate mage (you'd have to save up for it tho) which adds damage dice to your blast 3 times per day.

Well scrolls of any spell that is useful, stuff your party doesn't have lots of. a few knock scrolls, maybe a sleep or charm scroll. A well timed Illusion scroll can really be a game changer if you can think of a good way to use it. Or a few potions of invis for those times where stealth is a bit more useful.

I'm always a fan of most of the boots, extra speed/teleports are nice.

Though since you are still relatively low level and don't have a lot of cash how about... "Armband of elusive action" Magic item Comp, P72. they let you avoid one AoO per day. Which I've found to be wondful for those critical moments where you REALLY need to run away/past a bad guy or just cast a spell without being combat casting or drink a potion, pick up the item of awesome from the floor or any other time where you would normally be smacked in the face. Only once a day. Only 800g though.

Or you could get a +1 melee weapon, why when blast is better? well you can enchant it later to give you better utility, wraithstrike, dispelling, or +5 on initiative.

honestly just look through Magic Item Comp (if it's allowed in your campaign) and drool a lot.

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 07:13 AM
honestly just look through Magic Item Comp (if it's allowed in your campaign) and drool a lot.

It is, we use the random treasure tables from it. And that is exactly where the problem lies. I have too many options... and I don't want to start a second christmastreeoutfit before finishing the first one.
For weapon I'm waiting for a +1 in the loot so far it seems that loot directly is a bit... random.

In my Eberron campaign (I used modules) the party got 2 +1 Longswords on level 1 as they advanced to level 2. And other stuff of course... their WBL exploded because of those modules...

But I have to say this is the first real campaign for me as player where we can actually buy magic items/get enchantments and so on.

hymer
2012-07-27, 07:14 AM
I didn't read thorugh it all, so sorry if this is redundant:
You'll never be a real nuker as a warlock, but you might as well max your damage potential.
Chasuble of Fell Power, Warlock's Scepter, Gauntlet's of Eldritch something-I-can't-remember are all in MIC. Check the scepter with the same name in Complete Arcane too.

Edit: Oh, and SR won't be a problem any more when you get the ever lovely vitriolic blast.
And take a gander at Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 212, the Codex Advocare. Could be worth it, depending on what your needs are.

juicycaboose
2012-07-27, 07:17 AM
the belt of healing (MIC) is 750gp and is really quite handy to have up to 6d8 healing per day
it also gives you a +2 bonus on heal checks

Medic!
2012-07-27, 07:33 AM
One of my favorite "Warlock" items is an Artificer's Monocle(?) from Magic Item Compendium. It's pretty cheap (Either within your range or really close to it) and lets you use Detect Magic to automatically identify magic items.

Other things to save for...the Warlock's Sceptre mentioned above is great, as is a Chasuble of Fell Power (lesser/greater) to add damage to your Eldritch Blast.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 07:49 AM
It is, we use the random treasure tables from it. And that is exactly where the problem lies. I have too many options... and I don't want to start a second christmastreeoutfit before finishing the first one.
For weapon I'm waiting for a +1 in the loot so far it seems that loot directly is a bit... random.

In my Eberron campaign (I used modules) the party got 2 +1 Longswords on level 1 as they advanced to level 2. And other stuff of course... their WBL exploded because of those modules...

But I have to say this is the first real campaign for me as player where we can actually buy magic items/get enchantments and so on.

Aye well you often do get the "Christmas Tree" effect in 3.5. I tend to stick with a lot of passive buff items (+stat, Natural AC or saves) and a few shiny on use items since it's a lot less book keeping :smallbiggrin: Warlocks just have the whole book opened up for them and their UMD goodness.

A few armour crystals might come in handy...

But yes the problem you face is that there are a lot of choices for you to take... so just pick an aspect you what your character to do well in and get items to help that or pick an aspect that your charcter is sucking in and upgrade it so it's not so much of a weak point (low ac, low HP, easy to be grapples... ect)

Hyde
2012-07-27, 07:51 AM
Educate me, "Christmas Tree effect"?

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-27, 08:07 AM
funny that the spear is a reach weapon while Longspear is not...

Actually, you have that backwards.

Educate me, "Christmas Tree effect"?

The effect of somebody having so many magical spells and magic items on them at any given time that they look like a x-mas tree to anybody using detect magic.

Hyde
2012-07-27, 08:55 AM
That's wonderful.

And so true.

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 09:10 AM
The effect of somebody having so many magical spells and magic items on them at any given time that they look like a x-mas tree to anybody using detect magic.

I think I have the right to sparkle with a 16 in charisma. xD

The Chasuble and the Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (?) look decent though. But how do I get 8k Gold fast? How about the Rods of Eldritch Power? Are they any good for their money? 5/day seems a bit low.

My weakness obviously is the lack of skillpoints and grapple. The reason I got Sudden Still. Now in Level 6 I have a get out of prison Grapple card for free.

hymer
2012-07-27, 09:26 AM
But how do I get 8k Gold fast?

If you still have your soul, it's really a buyer's market these days, but it's possible to liquidate that.
Otherwise, you're an adventurer. Go adventuring, and the money should start rolling in.

Do you really need Sudden Still? I'm kinda rusty in grappling, but what are the requirements for EBing?

Malak'ai
2012-07-27, 09:31 AM
If I remember correctly, a Belt of Freedom renders you immune to Grapple. Don't have my books in front of me atm so I can't double check that or the price.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 09:38 AM
Anything that grants "Freedom of movement" means you auto pass your get out of grapple check.

Sudden still is also useful if ever you are taken captive :smallbiggrin: though it's better if you have spells that let you teleport away. OR for a warlock the blast thing that lets you do full damage to objects :smalltongue:

Well you've gotten both of the shooting feats so you should be able to hit everything other then some dodgy wisp or tiny Imp thing on a 2+ or something silly.

If you need cash go do a quest :smalltongue::smallbiggrin: don't forget to steal/mug every thing not bolted down in a BBEG's lair :smallbiggrin:

No matter the class I do like to get a Bag of Holding as soon as I can, just because carrying all that gold can be a bit too much effort!

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 09:50 AM
Sudden still is also useful if ever you are taken captive :smallbiggrin: though it's better if you have spells that let you teleport away. OR for a warlock the blast thing that lets you do full damage to objects :smalltongue:

Flee the scene is good enough, isnt it?^^

If you need cash go do a quest :smalltongue::smallbiggrin: don't forget to steal/mug every thing not bolted down in a BBEG's lair :smallbiggrin:

No can do, the cleric would rip my head of if I won't behave good as this is a church mission we are on. It was more or less a rhetorical question^^.

No matter the class I do like to get a Bag of Holding as soon as I can, just because carrying all that gold can be a bit too much effort!

That's why I have a Hewards Handy Haversack.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-27, 09:51 AM
But how do I get 8k Gold fast?

1. Kill things, take their stuff. This is standard, but we'll need to double it up. Strip corpses clean until your carrying capacity is maxed. Remember you can push or drag up to 5x your max capacity, so bring a wheelbarrow. Mules can help.

2. If your DM doesn't have super-defenses for Magic Mart, head on down there, and have the shopkeep bring out every item you desire for "testing", and lay them all out on the table. Then scoop it into your bag and run. This will only work once and piss your DM off, so make it good and offer to buy the pizza that night.

3. Loot all the things. You may need a Bag of Holding (or get your Wizard to cast Hoard Gullet). If your DM likes putting Amazing Locks on the doors, break the doors and remove the locks (those things have really good weight-to-gold ratios). If the doors themselves are made of something mildly expensive, sell those as scrap metal. Cast Shrink Item on any big shiny statues and sell them. Jewelry, silverware, plates, bowls, armor, weapons, nails, toolboxes, clothes, tapestry, furniture, torches, food, unidentifiable goop, you loot it all. Appraise/Eyeball each item as you pick it up, so you don't get the "You collected [reasonable amount]gp in miscellaneous items" treatment. This should get you a ton of money if your DM isn't expecting it.

4. On any weight-based valuables (like the Admantine doors you're selling for scrap), check how much they weigh by moving them around the room, as you pick them up. That way, the DM can't weasel out of it by saying they weigh less when you try to sell.

silverwolfer
2012-07-27, 09:59 AM
Hello again Playground,

after a bit of lurking/advicing (is

I hope you can help me.

just wanted to say props on the malphite

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 10:27 AM
3. Loot all the things. You may need a Bag of Holding (or get your Wizard to cast Hoard Gullet). If your DM likes putting Amazing Locks on the doors, break the doors and remove the locks (those things have really good weight-to-gold ratios). If the doors themselves are made of something mildly expensive, sell those as scrap metal. Cast Shrink Item on any big shiny statues and sell them. Jewelry, silverware, plates, bowls, armor, weapons, nails, toolboxes, clothes, tapestry, furniture, torches, food, unidentifiable goop, you loot it all. Appraise/Eyeball each item as you pick it up, so you don't get the "You collected [reasonable amount]gp in miscellaneous items" treatment. This should get you a ton of money if your DM isn't expecting it.

4. On any weight-based valuables (like the Admantine doors you're selling for scrap), check how much they weigh by moving them around the room, as you pick them up. That way, the DM can't weasel out of it by saying they weigh less when you try to sell.

LOL I hate it when PC's rip the doors off a dungeon in order to sell them :smallbiggrin: by the way do you know where I could find out the price for scrap metal like admantine?

My magic wallmarts (when I have them) have defenses = to what you would expect from the value of what they are selling. Though I often tend to make it "if it isn't a basic +1 or other very common item you'll have to get it crafted by an NPC"

Krazzman
2012-07-27, 11:09 AM
just wanted to say props on the malphite

Yeah, don't play LoL at the moment anymore due to time conflicts and some guys there aggravating me but don't know what other avatar I should use... decisions decisions...^^

But what do you mean with this sentence? Never saw props before in the usage with say so...

Slipperychicken
2012-07-27, 11:18 AM
LOL I hate it when PC's rip the doors off a dungeon in order to sell them :smallbiggrin: by the way do you know where I could find out the price for scrap metal like admantine?

My magic wallmarts (when I have them) have defenses = to what you would expect from the value of what they are selling. Though I often tend to make it "if it isn't a basic +1 or other very common item you'll have to get it crafted by an NPC"

Well, there is no explicit per-pound conversion (annoying as all hell, considering they give per-pound costs for just about every other material in the game), although you can extrapolate roughly 1,000-1,200gp/lb (Adamantine items are roughly double Mithral's cost, and Mithral is 500gp/lb). This thread (http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz4s3f?Adamantine-items) is useful.

It may help while making a dungeon to consider that whoever built it was working off a budget, and making a door that's worth more than the stuff behind it is pretty wasteful.

silverwolfer
2012-07-27, 12:06 PM
Yeah, don't play LoL at the moment anymore due to time conflicts and some guys there aggravating me but don't know what other avatar I should use... decisions decisions...^^

But what do you mean with this sentence? Never saw props before in the usage with say so...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=props

yougi
2012-07-27, 01:15 PM
One of my favorite "Warlock" items is an Artificer's Monocle(?) from Magic Item Compendium. It's pretty cheap (Either within your range or really close to it) and lets you use Detect Magic to automatically identify magic items.

That is actually only usable by Artificers, although that could be changed, but then it wouldn't be as cheap.

@OP: In this game I DM, the wizard got a lot of those panic buttons from Complete Adventurer. They're dirt cheap, and they can save your life, particularly the one that allows you to teleport 20' as a free action.

Medic!
2012-07-27, 01:20 PM
That is actually only usable by Artificers, although that could be changed, but then it wouldn't be as cheap.

Hmmmm I don't see where it says only usable by artificers in the item entry...it just says when you wear it and successfully use your artificer knowledge class feature, or use detect magic with 5 or more ranks in knowledge arcana, it works.

VGLordR2
2012-07-27, 01:20 PM
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (Equipment Handbook) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)
Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)
The Utility Belt (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)
Complete Macgyver (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0)
Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851)
Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)

Between these four links, you will find a wealth of cheap, useful items. I always consult these when I have extra money.

yougi
2012-07-27, 05:09 PM
Hmmmm I don't see where it says only usable by artificers in the item entry...it just says when you wear it and successfully use your artificer knowledge class feature, or use detect magic with 5 or more ranks in knowledge arcana, it works.

To have that class feature, you need to be an artificer... OR am I missing something?

VGLordR2
2012-07-27, 05:24 PM
To have that class feature, you need to be an artificer... OR am I missing something?

Emphasis mine.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-27, 05:33 PM

the next line is OR use a detect magic spell (which Warlocks can use at will) and even if it IS Artificer only then UMD lets you make a magic item treat you like a race / class / alignment if you have enough skill :smallsmile:

Rejakor
2012-07-27, 06:05 PM
For 6k you can add +1d6 to your eldritch blast with a lesser fell chasuble.

Otherwise gloves of admixture give you +1d6 a couple of times per day.

Why no fell flight or Walk Unseen?

Also, Sudden Still do you mean Still Spell-Like Ability? I'd prefer Empower or Maximise, Still is only useful if you get gooped or captured, either way you're ****ed, should have been invisible or high up and spearing people.

Foefinding goggles are good, cause they let you shoot people who have concealment or cover.

ThatKreacher
2012-07-27, 07:28 PM
Save up for anything. Everything. Something. Maybe a cloak of the bat. I love them.

yougi
2012-07-28, 12:44 AM
the next line is OR use a detect magic spell (which Warlocks can use at will) and even if it IS Artificer only then UMD lets you make a magic item treat you like a race / class / alignment if you have enough skill :smallsmile:

Emphasis mine.

Oh... right... My bad!

ericgrau
2012-07-28, 12:47 AM
Wands are only DC 20, so you can auto-pass those checks. A wand of invisibility is always handy. If your party happens across a damage spell wand then that works too. You could buy a used one if any exist, otherwise commissioning a new one with 50 charges is a bit much for a 3rd level spell.

Tons and tons of level 1 utility scroll are always handy too. And you can get them from every spell list. Basically anything no save, not caster level dependent, comes up every once in a while but not every day, yet is really useful when it does come. Like comprehend languages. Or after you level up spider climb.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-28, 01:06 AM
You can never go wrong with Con-boosters. More hp and a better Fort save are welcome on any character. Con is the stat which saves your life.

If you can buy an Enveloping Pit (MIC pg159, 3600gp) it functions like a Portable Hole with 5x the capacity for ~1/5th the cost, and is generally an excellent bargain if you can UMD Alignment, or actually are LE, LN, or NE. Very good for looting, since you can stick damn near anything in a 50ft-by-10ft cylinder. Bring a crowbar into the dungeon, because from now on, you're taking everything. The entire contents of that dungeon is now yours to sell. Appraise each piece separately, and watch your DM go insane as you get rich off his descriptive text.

Krazzman
2012-07-28, 02:21 AM
For 6k you can add +1d6 to your eldritch blast with a lesser fell chasuble.

Otherwise gloves of admixture give you +1d6 a couple of times per day.
Actually 8k, but yes, that's what I'm savin on atm... I think.
As a group we made 200 Gold, few gems and are on a mission with 2 optional things. netting us 500gold each and additional 300gold we normally amass the gold/loot and then share it into right pieces.

Why no fell flight or Walk Unseen?

I thought having an escape skill is a bit better than staying imprisoned.
Walk Unseen comes next, then Fell Flight at level 12 (via Extra Invoc) if I am right. Can't decide between chilling tentacles or vitrilious blast for the first greater invocation.

Also, Sudden Still do you mean Still Spell-Like Ability? I'd prefer Empower or Maximise, Still is only useful if you get gooped or captured, either way you're ****ed, should have been invisible or high up and spearing people.

Foefinding goggles are good, cause they let you shoot people who have concealment or cover.

Oh, ehm.... jeah my mistake, it's even the wrong one on my sheet. I meant Quicken SLA from BoVD.

You can never go wrong with Con-boosters. More hp and a better Fort save are welcome on any character. Con is the stat which saves your life.

If you can buy an Enveloping Pit (MIC pg159, 3600gp) it functions like a Portable Hole with 5x the capacity for ~1/5th the cost, and is generally an excellent bargain if you can UMD Alignment, or actually are LE, LN, or NE. Very good for looting, since you can stick damn near anything in a 50ft-by-10ft cylinder. Bring a crowbar into the dungeon, because from now on, you're taking everything. The entire contents of that dungeon is now yours to sell. Appraise each piece separately, and watch your DM go insane as you get rich off his descriptive text.

CG, Follower of Tymora actually. Atm can't do. Can't get anything because we are in a dungeon (that is really really scarce) and even IF i would try to mine some gold from the veins there... the cleric would smack me because we are there on a church mission.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 02:28 AM
This is good advice.

The item's fine, but if you start looting everything that's not nailed down or on fire, your DM will smack you with a book. (and rightly so.)

Lonely Tylenol
2012-07-28, 07:00 AM
Buy 220 non-masterwork flutes and distribute them all among the homeless of the nearest city. Let nobody know you're doing it.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-28, 09:57 AM
CG, Follower of Tymora actually. Atm can't do. Can't get anything because we are in a dungeon (that is really really scarce) and even IF i would try to mine some gold from the veins there... the cleric would smack me because we are there on a church mission.

Come back later, mine it yourself (maybe take on some hired helpers, but keep an Eldritch Blast pointed at them, just in case). If you feel enterprising, you could finance a mining operation once you're out. Just buy mineral rights to the area and set up to mine it, with a legally-binding contract to give you the vast majority of the profits. Also take out insurance on the mine, in case there's an "accident". Communicate this by notes to your DM so the Cleric can't metagame and rush in at exactly the wrong moment.

I always hate the party-nannies who never let you do anything fun. All doom and gloom, usually Clerics and Paladins. This is the perfect example, you're in a LITERAL GOLD MINE, and he won't even let you take a nugget. But don't let them spoil your fun. Clerics don't have Sense Motive on their class skill list :smallamused:

Krazzman
2012-07-28, 11:04 AM
Clerics don't have Sense Motive on their class skill list :smallamused:

And I have a +10 Bonus to Bluff :smallamused:

Ranting Fool
2012-07-28, 11:42 AM
And I have a +10 Bonus to Bluff :smallamused:

aye but those clerics and their "Divine insight" spell :smallbiggrin::smalltongue: