PDA

View Full Version : Spell Compendium: "Monstrous Thrall"

Alleran
2012-07-27, 06:12 AM
Was there ever any additional errata released for the Spell Compendium? I'm looking at the "Monstrous Thrall" spell (9th level spell, Domination domain) on page 142-143. The text of the spell states that it functions like true domination (which is basically a dominate person in an 8th level domain slot that has a -4 penalty to saves for resisting rather than the +2 bonus of dominate person), except it's permanent and the target can be any creature (so like dominate monster). The -4 penalty can go away if the target passes the Will save, but it remains your thrall. The oddity is that the spell details say it lasts for 24 hours/level, but the text says it's permanent (which would presuppose a "Permanent" or even "Instantaneous" duration).

It seems like something that should get errata to fix it, but the one I got off the WotC website doesn't have it included.

As an aside, if it should read as Permanent or Instantaneous, then the spell immediately becomes a whole lot better. I can't see why somebody with the domain (or Arcane Disciple) would ever bother with dominate monster if they could cast monstrous thrall instead.

Acathala
2012-07-27, 10:41 AM
Don't think there was, though I could be wrong.

monkey3
2012-07-27, 11:25 AM
I don't know of an errata, which is a shame, because this has been brought up many times. I think most people play it as "permanent" to match the text. This way it can be reversed with a Dispel Magic.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-27, 05:16 PM
There IS an errata file for Spell Compendium, but it has no update for this spell in it.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-27, 06:20 PM
The SpC version of the spell is an update to one presented in the Draconomicon - if it helps, there the duration is Permanent.