PDA

View Full Version : teleport with familiar?

robertbevan
2012-07-27, 07:23 AM
this may be a stupid question. i tried to google it but kept getting results like "if you teleport to a familiar area..."

here's the question. if you are a spellcaster and you get teleported, does your familiar get a free ride? is it automatic? is it optional? is it possible? or does it involve one teleport spell for each of you?

Acanous
2012-07-27, 07:30 AM
Share Spells exists. If you're the subject of a spell, you can share it with your familiar, assuming it's in range. Aside from that, Teleport allows you to bring one person with you/2 caster levels, so you could bring your familiar with you anyhow. Assuming you're on good terms with the person casting the spell.

robertbevan
2012-07-27, 07:32 AM
Share Spells exists. If you're the subject of a spell, you can share it with your familiar, assuming it's in range. Aside from that, Teleport allows you to bring one person with you/2 caster levels, so you could bring your familiar with you anyhow. Assuming you're on good terms with the person casting the spell.

okay cool. thanks a bunch!

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-27, 07:57 AM

Share Spells only applies to spells you cast yourself. To anybody else, you familiar counts as a creature in its own right.

robertbevan
2012-07-27, 08:17 AM
Share Spells only applies to spells you cast yourself. To anybody else, you familiar counts as a creature in its own right.

okay... so how does that apply to my question? because i was thinking that another spellcaster was going to cast a teleport spell on me. does he need a separate spell for the familiar? what if we want to be teleported to a place that the master is familiar with but the familiar is not?

Urpriest
2012-07-27, 10:01 AM
okay... so how does that apply to my question? because i was thinking that another spellcaster was going to cast a teleport spell on me. does he need a separate spell for the familiar? what if we want to be teleported to a place that the master is familiar with but the familiar is not?

Familiarity with the place is only relevant for whoever casts the spell.

Most teleport spells have multiple targets, so in general if another caster casts a teleport spell on you they would have to also target your familiar. As was stated earlier, most of these spells have enough targets to handle this easily, but if not then that is a choice the caster would have to make.

robertbevan
2012-07-27, 10:44 AM
Familiarity with the place is only relevant for whoever casts the spell.

this is not what i wanted to hear.

ArcaneGlyph
2012-07-27, 12:26 PM
Cast familiar pocket, put the familiar in it, teleport. Then it counts as one of your belongings.

robertbevan
2012-08-08, 09:34 AM
okay... let me just tell you what i'm after, and maybe someone can finagle something.

i want my character to be able to hire a spellcaster to teleport him to a place that he (the character) is familiar with although the spellcaster is not, and i want to bring my familiar along.

got anything?

Psyren
2012-08-08, 09:44 AM
Cast familiar pocket, put the familiar in it, teleport. Then it counts as one of your belongings.

Or more accurately, the Familiar is in an extradimensional space and does not actually move. The door to that space does, so when you reopen the pocket he'll come out where you are.

Keld Denar
2012-08-08, 10:15 AM
okay... let me just tell you what i'm after, and maybe someone can finagle something.

i want my character to be able to hire a spellcaster to teleport him to a place that he (the character) is familiar with although the spellcaster is not, and i want to bring my familiar along.

got anything?

Greater Teleport is about the only way to do it without high risk or some sort of mental transfer. It doesn't need any familiarity, just a simple description. If you know of a person in the area, you could have the mage Scry on them and them Teleport. Short of that, not a whole lot.

Toliudar
2012-08-08, 02:37 PM
On a slightly related note:

Posit a 9th level wizard with a familiar. If he/she uses Share Spell when casting teleport, can each of the wizard and familiar teleport three additional medium sized people?

Follow-up question: would you as a DM chuck a book at a player trying this?

Keld Denar
2012-08-08, 03:44 PM
I'd say no. The familiar is being affected by the spell in addition to the normal target(s). The familiar isn't originating a copy of the spell itself.

Psyren
2012-08-08, 04:06 PM
You can definitely share it with them ("Target: You...") but as far as letting them take additional people, it's not clear. I wouldn't.

Toliudar
2012-08-08, 04:55 PM
I'd say no. The familiar is being affected by the spell in addition to the normal target(s). The familiar isn't originating a copy of the spell itself.

This helps. It makes for a fascinating image for what happens if you share, for example, Magic Jar.

Answerer
2012-08-08, 11:36 PM
It's certainly not spelled out anywhere in RAW, but one might make the (interesting, IMO) argument that in the case of magic jar, you're adding the familiar to the list of targets. As such, you get a three-way soul swap: your soul goes to the monster, the monster's soul goes to the familiar, and the familiar's soul goes to you (or in reverse but that seems decidedly less useful).

Which, of course, dramatically empowers an already-overpowered spell, so it's not a good idea. It's merely an interesting idea for what the ramifications might be.