PDA

View Full Version : Mass Brilliant Blade Spell ?

Onigato
2012-07-27, 08:56 AM
I noticed while reading this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250668&page=2

a mention of a Mass version of the SpC spell (Page 40), Brilliant Blade. The single target version is a 7th level spell. Is there such a thing as Mass Brilliant Blade to effect multiple targets? If so, I was unable to find it.

I didn't want to derail the original thread's topic so I'm creating this one.

I'm thinking there isn't as that would be almost too good, don't you think?

-Oni

Piggy Knowles
2012-07-27, 08:59 AM
Check the Brilliant Aura spell, from the same source. One level higher than Brilliant Blade, but effects multiple weapons. It's... actually kind of underwhelming, IMO.

Bronk
2012-07-27, 09:02 AM
The spell you are looking for is Brilliant Aura, an 8th level spell that affects multiple creatures, and all the weapons on each creature. It's in the Spell Compendium on page 39. I think it's great, just a bit odd that it and 'brilliant blade' are only one spell level apart.

Khedrac
2012-07-27, 09:05 AM
There is always the Chain Spell metamagic feat from Complete Arcane.

Onigato
2012-07-27, 09:41 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I've noticed there appear to be a few different version of these spells depending on the source. For example, if you look in Complete divine, it's a 7th level druid only spell, but it has an added bonus of providing an enhancement bonus to damage.

I don't think Chain spell metamagic would work. It requires a saving throw. In this instance, only objects receive a saving throw if I'm reading the spell description correctly.

-Oni

Urpriest
2012-07-27, 09:48 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I've noticed there appear to be a few different version of these spells depending on the source. For example, if you look in Complete divine, it's a 7th level druid only spell, but it has an added bonus of providing an enhancement bonus to damage.

I don't think Chain spell metamagic would work. It requires a saving throw. In this instance, only objects receive a saving throw if I'm reading the spell description correctly.

-Oni

There's no requirement of a save on Chain Spell. Just single-target and range greater than touch.

In terms of the different versions, you're supposed to use the Spell Compendium one if none of the others are more recent. It was intended to update and errata the various spells.

ericgrau
2012-07-27, 04:43 PM
Check the Brilliant Aura spell, from the same source. One level higher than Brilliant Blade, but effects multiple weapons. It's... actually kind of underwhelming, IMO.

I tried it and found giving everyone in the party touch attacks to hit and the ability to bypass cover quite the opposite. Do watch for nonliving foes though.

Piggy Knowles
2012-07-27, 05:06 PM
I tried it and found giving everyone in the party touch attacks to hit and the ability to bypass cover quite the opposite. Do watch for nonliving foes though.

My main problem with the spell is that it only ignores nonliving material, meaning that it doesn't block natural armor. By the time I can cast 8th-level spells, I find that the majority of enemies have quite a bit of natural armor (not to mention deflection bonuses, dodge bonuses, etc.), making it, as I said, a little underwhelming.

The ability to ignore cover is nice for ranged attacks, though.

B-Unit
2012-07-27, 06:51 PM
At one point, I played in a game where the BBEG lich used Brilliant Aura to prevent any of our martial characters from being any form of threat in the slightest. I felt that that was a fairly strong use of the spell, if a bit narrow.

silverwolfer
2012-07-27, 07:13 PM
At one point, I played in a game where the BBEG lich used Brilliant Aura to prevent any of our martial characters from being any form of threat in the slightest. I felt that that was a fairly strong use of the spell, if a bit narrow.

No one had anti-magic stuff when facing a undead high level mage? An will negates, if the weapon was in your hand then roll a the dice to resist :D, and spell resistance works also. ((then again maybe have the mage debuff your weapons of such temporary enchantments if am wrong on this matter to haha))

(sidenote noticed you said martial characters nvm the anti magic comment)

ericgrau
2012-07-27, 11:57 PM
My main problem with the spell is that it only ignores nonliving material, meaning that it doesn't block natural armor. By the time I can cast 8th-level spells, I find that the majority of enemies have quite a bit of natural armor (not to mention deflection bonuses, dodge bonuses, etc.), making it, as I said, a little underwhelming.

The ability to ignore cover is nice for ranged attacks, though.

It is not good against random encounters, but most plot based campaigns have some kind of humanoid, giant or similar that wears armor. Because those are the things that both talk and form large societies, rather than only 1 or neither. Simple answer is to look at your foes before casting it; it's pretty obvious if they're wearing armor or not. I had it in a fire giant campaign, but we ran into armies of other monstrous humanoids too because, well, those are the kind of guys that would get together with fire giants. It's a thousand times better than the weapon enchantment where you pay big gold and it's always on. When enemies are wearing armor and are living it's devastating, and you save it for those times.

Had an ally with a lance use it to negate cover too. As could any reach weapon exploit it both on normal cover and on wall corners.

I've seen campaigns that don't have much organization among the monsters, even good ones, but whether the campaign is good or bad that particular part of it suffers when you don't explain why the well developed monstrous societies with millions of members aren't doing anything major in the world. It's weak plot.

Bronk
2012-07-30, 07:42 AM
If you find yourself in a situation where Brilliant Blade or Brilliant Aura won't be effective, you might want to regress back to the 'wraithstrike' spell. It doesn't last long, but since it flat out turns all your attacks for a round into touch attacks it would negate most armor except for deflection bonuses, natural armor affected by the 'scintillating scales' spell and untyped bonuses.