PDA

View Full Version : Would you draw?

Sudain
2012-07-27, 09:24 AM
You come across a well-made but sealed deck of cards. There is a simple twine cord wrapped around the deck with a tag that reads, "If your fate is not what you would make, you may draw."

Would you draw?

Would you draw if you found it in a dungeon?
Would you draw if you were handed the deck and asked to deal a poker game?

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-27, 09:38 AM
Am I a d&d character? What does it show under detect magic? Identify? Arcane Sight? Analyze Dwoemer? What do my skills tell me about this item, or that phrase?

Sudain
2012-07-27, 09:48 AM
Are you a dnd character.... I dunno. Would you draw from it in RL as well?

Detect Magic: An overwhelming aura. Any more focusing on it blinds you, kind of like looking into the sun.
Idenitify: Does not work.
Arcane Sight: A strong transmutation aura, but again blinding like you are staring into the sun.
Analyze Dweomer: Does not work.

Skills: It's a deck of cards wrapped in ordinary twine. The cards appear to be well made. The phrase seems straight forward, if a bit cryptic.

Part of what I want to know is would you draw without any of the above meta information these answers provide.

Wookieetank
2012-07-27, 10:17 AM
I would! After the number of characters that have died on me from playing "safe" I find that intentionally putting my characters at risk keep them alive longer... :smalleek: That and I like to keep things interesting, and whats more interesting than the unknown? :smallbiggrin:

GeekGirl
2012-07-27, 10:42 AM
I would absolutely draw.

Anxe
2012-07-27, 10:50 AM
In real life? I'd fan the cards and look at this presumably well-made tarot deck. Would I draw from a deck of many things if I knew that it was one in real life? Hell no. Those things are death traps.

vegetalss4
2012-07-27, 01:47 PM
Real Life, I would probably look through it.
But only because I wouldn't expect it to be anything more than a well made set of card, possibly even some I could use in roleplaying for some flavor.

If anything actually happened when I drew, I wouldn't use the blasted thing again. much to dangerous.
Through I would make scientists aware of it so that it could be studied in full.

If I was a DnD character, it would depend on which character, and what kind of personality and knowledge I might have.

Sudain
2012-07-27, 01:54 PM
Woot. :)

I actually think a full deck is a 50:50 split of things being good and bad. Not all effects being equal, but that's okay.

I think I'd draw. Not sure how many times, but I think i would. If nothing else; I might keep it around to allow foes to draw from as well.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-27, 01:57 PM

Detect Magic: An overwhelming aura. Any more focusing on it blinds you, kind of like looking into the sun.

Assume that I'm immune to blinding(and yes, other effects like dazzling too), and have arbitrarily high spellcraft and Knowledge(arcana). What do I get by focusing on it?

NecroRebel
2012-07-27, 02:03 PM
I don't know whether or not it is the case that my fate is not what I would make, so I don't know if I may draw or not. I guess I would try to draw, as if it is not the case that I may draw, then I know that it is not the case that my fate is not what I would make. If I may draw, it is possible that my fate is not what I would make, but I knew that already, and that doesn't actually tell me that it is the case that my fate is not what I would make or not. It might be true that if it is not the case that my fate is not what I would make, I may draw, after all.

Sudain
2012-07-27, 02:10 PM
Assume that I'm immune to blinding(and yes, other effects like dazzling too), and have arbitrarily high spellcraft and Knowledge(arcana). What do I get by focusing on it?

A headache.

Lord Tyger
2012-07-27, 03:39 PM
I cast Augury. Does drawing one card from it result in weal or woe?

Knaight
2012-07-27, 03:42 PM
In real life, if I have reason to believe it is actually magical, I'm not touching that thing. However, a great many of my characters are either more desperate or less judicious than I am and would be all over it.

Sudain
2012-07-27, 03:53 PM

Depends upon the make up of the deck. Without knowing the card to be drawn, I'd default to weal.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-27, 04:04 PM

Too vague.

Does drawing the card that's on top result in weal or woe?

But if it's in real life, I untie the twine, drop half the deck down a storm drain, then keep the other half until I go on vacation, where I will then toss them in the trash in whatever place that is.

Sudain
2012-07-27, 04:19 PM
Too vague.

Does drawing the card that's on top result in weal or woe?

But if it's in real life, I untie the twine, drop half the deck down a storm drain, then keep the other half until I go on vacation, where I will then toss them in the trash in whatever place that is.

I assumed he'd be drawing the top card.

You have an interesting tact on it. Rather than deal with the situation; you'd just destroy it, correct?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-27, 04:22 PM
You have an interesting tact on it. Rather than deal with the situation; you'd just destroy it, correct?

As best I can indirectly. I fear that cutting them or tossing them in a fire will cause a curse.

Sudain
2012-07-27, 04:40 PM
Alright, so why destroy the deck?

Vovix
2012-07-27, 04:43 PM
A kender would take the whole deck and flip it over, thus drawing all the cards at once.

Tengu_temp
2012-07-27, 04:44 PM
The OP already said that trying to find out what the deck does with magic goes against the purpose of the exercise.

Real life/setting without known magic: draw. It's curious so I want to see what's in it, and it's not like magic exists.

Setting with magic: Find someone else who wants to draw first, see what it does for them. Further proceeding depends on the result.

Mastikator
2012-07-27, 04:56 PM
I would draw it, out of curiosity. I'd probably draw several cards until I got something that said "you win at life", then I would look at all the cards.

Baron Corm
2012-07-27, 04:58 PM
I imagine a poker game with a magical deck of cards would be a lot like a game of Jumanji. Even knowing that, I'd probably play. My life is pretty boring. I don't suppose you actually have one? :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2012-07-27, 05:10 PM
In real life? I don't play card games, and I'm not a gambling man. If I just found it on the street or something, I might turn it over and thumb through it, then give it as a gift to one of my friends who are into tarot cards. Out of curiosity, I'd shuffle the deck draw a few cards, then laugh about how stupid fortune-telling is.

If I know there's magic in the world, and am genre-savvy? F*** no. Doing that is practically begging for death, or worse. It's like playing Russian Roulette with my immortal soul. I'm not touching that thing with a 10ft pole.

As a dnd character who heard of of the Deck of Many Things, or Wish-Twisting? Never. I would eat broken glass before drawing from that deck.

Mnemnosyne
2012-07-27, 05:20 PM
In real life, I'd definitely draw if I had reason to think the thing is magic. If I didn't, it's hard to say since I might or might not be inclined to fiddle with a random thing at any particular moment.

In character, it really depends on how much that character has to lose. The more she has to lose, the less likely I would have her draw.

Toofey
2012-07-27, 05:21 PM
In spite of my always giving Bonus XP to characters who don't draw, I would draw.

2 cards.

Referring to the deck of cards I use whenever the DOMT appears this means I am... totally boned. The Void and The Idiot.

edit: and that's why I always give my pc's bonus XP for passing.

The Random NPC
2012-07-27, 06:42 PM

Arcane Sight: A strong transmutation aura, but again blinding like you are staring into the sun.

Skills: It's a deck of cards wrapped in ordinary twine. The cards appear to be well made. The phrase seems straight forward, if a bit cryptic.

Part of what I want to know is would you draw without any of the above meta information these answers provide.

See, if I'm a D&D character I have those tools available to me, and not using them is kind of suicidal. It's like drinking from a bottle without checking if it's marked poison first. But to answer, no, no, and yes.

falloutimperial
2012-07-27, 07:06 PM
Any character I play tends to often ask their foes if they are "gamblin' men." This would definitely be a perfect way to test them.

Siosilvar
2012-07-27, 07:17 PM
Would you draw?IRL? Not for another few dozen years, since it'll end up coming home with me as I contemplate the decision and eventually it starts gathering dust in some corner of my attic. When I eventually come across it again, I draw for old times' sake and the hell of it.

In game? I think most of my characters would, for various reasons. After all, they are adventurers, they're likely either insatiably curious or fighting against fate anyway. A few are just in it for the fun of it or the cash, and they probably wouldn't.

Would you draw if you found it in a dungeon? I know better than to touch things I find in dungeons, both in- and out-of-character.

Would you draw if you were handed the deck and asked to deal a poker game? Utter chaos, eh? Sounds hilarious.

No way. Not in a million years, and very few of my characters would either.

Doorhandle
2012-07-27, 07:32 PM
The trick is to find someone both greedy and gullible, get them to draw from the deck, and then kill them once they find all the good stuff. :smallbiggrin:

...Granted, that would probably put you into the deep end of the alignment pool, even if you used :belkar: or his like as the target.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-27, 07:49 PM
Sure, why not?
Now, I am using this (http://www.kirith.com/deck/) online Deck of Many Things.
Here goes.
Two cards.
First: Rogue.
Eh, I don't HAVE henchmen.
Not so bad. Not good, but eh, not bad in my situation.
Ruin.
Dammit.
Well, if this was real, I couldn't post this as my computer is gone. As is, well everything else.
Frak me.

Fiery Diamond
2012-07-27, 08:02 PM
IRL: I'd probably do like a few people said, flip the deck over and thumb through the cards because I was curious. I'm not a very superstitious person, for the most part. IF, however, I had some reason to believe that there was actually something magical about the cards (and honestly, that would take a lot) - maybe. I'd want to, oh how I'd want to, but I'm at least somewhat religious and if it ain't divine, there is the fear that it's the opposite. I don't want to end up damned for playing with satanic cards that steal my soul, obviously. IF, however, I had reason to believe it was magical AND that it was not of evil, then... yes. But that's a lot of if, and kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, doesn't it?

In game: Depends on my character. Some would, some wouldn't. Low-level? Absolutely, for most. High-level? Much less likely.

Eldest
2012-07-27, 08:05 PM
If I didn't know what the deck was? Yes.
Using the above online one, I got the "know the answer to one question" card and the 1d4 wishes one. I lucked out.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-27, 08:15 PM
I got...

Know answer to next dilemma.

Psyche is trapped elsewhere.

Of course, if it was real, then the answer given by the first one would've been "don't draw the next card".

But in the event that it is outside fate or otherwise doesn't work, I draw a third card in hopes of getting my psyche back.

Imprisonment.

Razanir
2012-07-27, 08:31 PM
My thought process: "Ooh, did some dude from the internet make a Deck of Many Things? Let's draw to see if it has the right cards!" *draws* (All draws made by random.org) *draws Jester* "Woohoo! A Jester! What's that do again?" *checks internet* "Two draws, huh... Meh. It's probably fake. Let's go for it!" *Ruin and Star* "Star will boost my Constitution, and now I don't have any stuff" (Except for technology. See Clarke's Third Law.)

Yes, I outsmarted the deck. :smalltongue: (Deck: :smallannoyed:) Now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

"Do I draw another card... Well there's more good cards left, right? Hah. I punned. Anyway, I'll draw one last card then destroy this thing." *draws Gem* "I'll take jewelry." (Aside: what? It seems easier to sell)

And I luckily ended ahead! (Deck: :smallfurious:)

Ravens_cry
2012-07-27, 08:44 PM
Ok that's a thought. I think I'll do that using the Pathfinder Deck (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/minor-artifacts/deck-of-many-things).
That way I know it's COMPLETELY random, as random as is physically possible.
Still two cards.
Comet.
Dang, not too useful in the real world.
Somewhat though if I get to choose from D&D classes. I think I have enough intelligence to be at least a first level wizard.
That would be awesome!
Euryale.
-1 on all saving throws? Eh, I think I can live with that. Being sick more often will suck, but otherwise not the end of the world.

BluesEclipse
2012-07-28, 04:24 AM
IRL: Yeah, I'd probably draw. It's not like it could actually do anything.

D&D: Yes, I'd draw. Definitely. No reward is without risk, after all.

And for fun, let's see what I get with the random deck generator linked, drawing 5 cards.

First one:
Throne, Gem, Sun, Star, Moon... :smalleek: :smallbiggrin: :smallcool:

Yeah, that's about as perfect a draw as could be hoped for. Free castle, free money, free item, free xp, free stats, AND free wishes. If this were RL, I'd instantly be ruler of the world. If it were D&D... well, I'd still instantly be ruler of the world, most likely.

Vitruviansquid
2012-07-28, 04:28 AM
Hell no.

I've seen Jumanji. I know what happens when you try to play a weird magical game with seemingly basic rules. :smalleek:

NiteCyper
2012-07-28, 01:25 PM
You come across a well-made but sealed deck of cards. There is a simple twine cord wrapped around the deck with a tag that reads, "If your fate is not what you would make, you may draw."

Would you draw?

Would you draw if you found it in a dungeon?
Would you draw if you were handed the deck and asked to deal a poker game?
Would I draw? Maybe, probably not. At least, not immediately because of the effort to untie. This is only if I come across it in a context suitable enough to lead me to believe that it's OK to meddle with. Mind, that's a rare situation, but less rare in an era of lesser community/communization. How's restitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_and_found) across eras (and cultures)?

Would I draw if I found it in a dungeon? Whoa, whoa, wait. What about a dungeon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_%28BDSM%29)?
Would I draw if I was handed the deck and asked to deal a poker game? Does dealing count as drawing?

Would I "participate in a Customer Feedback Survey regarding my most recent visit to a theatre" to "be entered to win 1 [smudged] monthly prize packs of "One Movie a Month [smudged] for a Year"?

Am I a d&d character? What does it show under detect magic? Identify? Arcane Sight? Analyze Dwoemer? What do my skills tell me about this item, or that phrase?

I am confuse.

In real life? I'd fan the cards and look at this presumably well-made tarot deck. Would I draw from a deck of many things if I knew that it was one in real life? Hell no. Those things are death traps.

In real life? I don't play card games, and I'm not a gambling man. If I just found it on the street or something, I might turn it over and thumb through it, then give it as a gift to one of my friends who are into tarot cards. Out of curiosity, I'd shuffle the deck draw a few cards, then laugh about how stupid fortune-telling is.

If I know there's magic in the world, and am genre-savvy? F*** no. Doing that is practically begging for death, or worse. It's like playing Russian Roulette with my immortal soul. I'm not touching that thing with a 10ft pole.

As a dnd character who heard of of the Deck of Many Things, or Wish-Twisting? Never. I would eat broken glass before drawing from that deck.
Seconded (https://www.google.ca/search?q=seconded).

Hell no.

I've seen Jumanji. I know what happens when you try to play a weird magical game with seemingly basic rules. :smalleek:
S (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8238)o do I.

ZeroGear
2012-07-28, 03:04 PM
To hell with with it, I'd draw! Worst case scenario, I die and am too dead to care anymore. Best case scenario, I own my own home. Most of the time, I just want to know what kind of card I get.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-28, 03:07 PM
To hell with with it, I'd draw! Worst case scenario, I die and am too dead to care anymore. Best case scenario, I own my own home. Most of the time, I just want to know what kind of card I get.

Or, y'know, it's the Deck of Many Things and you draw that card that imprisons your mind somewhere. Or just Imprisonment. Or any of the other bad-but-not-death cards.

hymer
2012-07-28, 03:23 PM
I'm not much of a gambler, and I probably wouldn't draw. But there's an exception: If this is one of the first sessions of the campaign, I might draw, or if I'm not satisfied with my character. At best, this will turn out to my benefit. At the worst, I haven't lost anything I couldn't bear parting with easily.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-28, 03:47 PM
I'm not much of a gambler, and I probably wouldn't draw. But there's an exception: If this is one of the first sessions of the campaign, I might draw, or if I'm not satisfied with my character. At best, this will turn out to my benefit. At the worst, I haven't lost anything I couldn't bear parting with easily.

This is a hypothetical situation where you find this deck in real life.

hymer
2012-07-28, 04:14 PM
Ah, well in that case absolutely no. And I'd probably do something like the other guy would, who wanted to destroy it - split it up beyond all hope of recovering it.

Edit: Actually, on second thought, I'd keep it around until someone I knew was dying. Then I'd offer them the draw.

QuidEst
2012-07-28, 07:33 PM
If I knew, I'd certainly be tempted to, but I'd pass. Seriously, that sort of thing should be a last resort when everything else has failed. If your life's miserable, take a draw.

Chances are I wouldn't know what it was, and probably draw one without realizing the importance.

According to the internet, I would receive:

Know the answer to your next dilemma. This plaque empowers the character drawing it with the ability to call upon supernatural wisdom to solve any single problem or answer fully any question whenever he or she so requests. Whether the information gained can be successfully acted upon is another question entirely.

Well, that would be one carefully worded question followed by one Nobel prize.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 08:21 PM
Not just no, but hell no. That's a DoMT you've described. 50/50 chance of being rendered useless and/or dead, no thank you. I like random chance, and do my best to avoid meta-gaming, but I think that thing is a game-wrecker.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-28, 08:44 PM
S (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8238)o do I.
Put a NSFW tag on that:smalleek:. Sure, there is nothing visually untoward, but the topic is definitely not work safe.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-28, 09:55 PM
What the heck? Sure I'd draw. What's the worst that could happen?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-28, 09:58 PM
What's the worst that could happen?

Famous last words.

Doorhandle
2012-07-28, 10:11 PM
My attempt (using a none-too-bright proxy to take horrible blows for me. :smallbiggrin:)

The key: 1 major magic weapon! hurray!
Ruin, twice in a row. Never-mind.
Rouge x2: My cunning sap has turned against me! So has his buddy!
aaaand I drew a donjon to escape, and am now imprisoned.

...Okay, so gaming the system is harder than it looks.

Pie Guy
2012-07-29, 03:22 PM
Using one of the online decks, drawing 5 cards:
1. Lose all magic items. Doesn't affect the real world that much, now, does it? Keep drawing.
2. Lose 10,000 experience points. I don't even know if I have class levels yet (I'm 17).
3. Defeat Death or be forever destroyed. Um, now I'm probably dead, even though it's pretty weak. Assuming I survive, I keep drawing. Now I'm intrigued!
4. You are granted 1-4 wishes. Victory!
5. Gain Charisma of 18 and a small keep. Not as cool, but definitely nifty.

lunar2
2012-07-31, 01:20 PM
I'd draw. using the online one above, i got

1. comet. yay, level!

2. euryale. Meh. I'll go order a custom item to boost my saves later.

3. gem. to pay for above item.

4. Idiot. lol. using the leftover from the gem, i just go buy a restoration spell (the SRD specifies the intelligence loss as ability drain). of course i draw again.

5. Knight. Whoo-hoo! Free Cohort! I'm definitely taking him on a rebuild quest though, since what i really need is a cleric of me.

6. Skull. Well, i had to take care of that comet eventually.

that is actually a very good draw, imo. not as good as getting 5 comets or moons (i've done both) but still good.

Sudain
2012-07-31, 01:50 PM
Would I draw if I found it in a dungeon? Whoa, whoa, wait. What about a dungeon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_%28BDSM%29)?
Huh, would you look a that. Turns out mis-spelling a word has a distinct meaning other than what I intended. I intended a dark room with things that crawl on your skin, and things that go bump in the night.... Wait a second, so far no difference. Crypts, tombs, the places where evil lurks, sterotypical dungons. :)

Would I draw if I was handed the deck and asked to deal a poker game? Does dealing count as drawing?

Yes, sadly.

Incom
2012-07-31, 05:26 PM
I probably wouldn't, but I decided to play with the online deck anyway.

I draw one card.
I lose all worldly possessions.
Including the deck itself.

So much for drawing more.

demigodus
2012-07-31, 07:32 PM
In real life? Don't believe in magic, so I would draw. If I suspected it might be magic, I would try to trick someone into drawing a bunch of cards to test the theory. Then not draw if magical.

In game? Take cards, keep them safely away. Next day, spend nearly all spell slots of divinations. A few spell slots on counters to some of the bad stuff the deck does (for example, a few buffs to beat death). Give all property to some random commoner I kidnapped, then beat him unconscious (not yet taking my stuff back). Blow all divinations on the deck, THEN draw however many I'm told is safe. Then take back items from commoner.

If divinations don't work? No, I'm not drawing cards from a magical deck that is so powerful it straight up blocks divinations on it. I would put the deck in an anti-magic field, THEN burnenate it.

starwoof
2012-07-31, 08:03 PM
IRL? Absolutely not. I like being alive.

In game? Absolutely not. I like being alive.

jaybird
2012-07-31, 08:15 PM
Why not...3 cards.

1. Comet. Alright...
2. Moon.
3. Knight.

Okay...if this is real life, I have to go out and beat up the next person who tries to fight me. Interesting. My wishes are going to go 50/50 to boost my Int and Cha, favouring Int if I need to. And the Knight...sweet, I have a bodyguard/buddy/extra housemate/whatever.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2012-07-31, 10:14 PM
Scenario 1: Sounds like a neat prop someone made. Look at the cards, entertaining the notion that it's some sort of card game. It's probably just someone's tarot deck or regular playing cards, though.

Scenario 2: Wait, magic's real? ...yeah, this thing's going to the fires of Mt. Doom where it belongs. I don't want another incident like with the monkey paw last week.

Scenario 3: Oh, hold on, it is a tarot deck, and if it does turn out to be magic, it follows the exact rules for the Deck of Many Things from D&D? Also, this is the sort of scenario where I'm emotionally invested but the results are not really canonical?

...okay, I'll draw. But just one.

TALON

- Lose all magic items in your possession immediately. -

PrinceOfMadness
2012-07-31, 10:34 PM
[Mundane World, also known as Real Life]
Absolutely not. For all I know this is some serial killer's twisted joke he uses to select his victims.

[D&D World]
Absolutely. In D&D world you've got like an 86% chance of dying some horrible death anyway, might as well take a chance at getting some bonuses.

Seerow
2012-07-31, 10:47 PM
Sure, why not?
Now, I am using this (http://www.kirith.com/deck/) online Deck of Many Things.
Here goes.
Two cards.
First: Rogue.
Eh, I don't HAVE henchmen.
Not so bad. Not good, but eh, not bad in my situation.
Ruin.
Dammit.
Well, if this was real, I couldn't post this as my computer is gone. As is, well everything else.
Frak me.

This is cool.

Unfortunately, I drew 5 cards (dealing a poker hand), but the first one came up as death, and I don't think I can take Death.

Edit: other 4 cards were
-Gain 10,000 experience (hey I now have class levels!)
-Cursed. -3 penalty to all saving throws against petrification (welp. I guess if I ever face a medusa IRL I'm toast)
-Gain 1d4 wishes. First Wish: That I didn't draw the death Card!
-Defeat the next monster I meet 1v1 to gain 1 level. Well I just got 10k experience making me instant level 5. Now I guess I can go beat up some helpless monster (I can define despicable human beings as monsters right?) as gain another level, putting me at the pinnacle of human capability. I'm okay with that.

....I guess the real trick is surviving the insta-death

Edit 2:

Still playing with this, my second try was much better.

I just got
1) Jester. Gain 10,000 experience points.
2) Ruin. All possessions/wealth destroyed.
3) Sun. Gain 50,000 experience points (!) and a "useful" Magic Item. Replacing that lost property.
4) Moon. Gain 1d4 wishes. Hey look I can replace that lost property (25,000gp worth of stuff is a "safe" wish right?)
5) Throne. Gain Charisma of 18, and a small keep. Still working hard to replace that lost property, and making me a people person at the same time.

So yeah, I lost everything I own, but I'm pretty sure 25-100k gold pieces translates to more than enough dollars to live comfortably forever, and I even got a new house to do so in. On top of that I got a big charisma upgrade, a magic item, and jumped straight to level 11. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Yukitsu
2012-08-01, 02:30 PM
I'd probably try to write down all the cards in the deck if I found one IRL... I'd probably be completely doomed, since I'd just keep drawing until something bad happened.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-01, 02:47 PM
IRL, I keep the deck. I don't draw from it, but I think about it now and then. Eventually, I grow older, and yknow, start getting sickly and things, as happens. One day, I realize that hey, death is gonna come sooner or later. I might as well try to stave the bastard off...or failing that, leave something nice for my family.

First, I'll ask a homeless man if he wants to draw a few cards. Hell, I'll promise him a few bucks if he does. From the outcome, I should be able to ensure that this is, in fact, a deck of many things.

Then, I talk to a priest. I blatantly bribe him for holy water. Lots and lots of holy water, which will be all around me in flasks. I give away all my worldly wealth to those I love. I wish everyone goodbye. Then, I go into a sunlit meadow at noon, look at the deck...and state my intention to draw ten thousand cards.

If I'm at all lucky, the world will be changed forever.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-02, 06:04 PM
If anyone's curious, I just looked it up. The gold you can get from a wish is worth a little less than 11.6 million dollars US.

demigodus
2012-08-02, 08:38 PM
IRL, I keep the deck. I don't draw from it, but I think about it now and then. Eventually, I grow older, and yknow, start getting sickly and things, as happens. One day, I realize that hey, death is gonna come sooner or later. I might as well try to stave the bastard off...or failing that, leave something nice for my family.

First, I'll ask a homeless man if he wants to draw a few cards. Hell, I'll promise him a few bucks if he does. From the outcome, I should be able to ensure that this is, in fact, a deck of many things.

Then, I talk to a priest. I blatantly bribe him for holy water. Lots and lots of holy water, which will be all around me in flasks. I give away all my worldly wealth to those I love. I wish everyone goodbye. Then, I go into a sunlit meadow at noon, look at the deck...and state my intention to draw ten thousand cards.

If I'm at all lucky, the world will be changed forever.

You, sir are awesome :smallbiggrin:

NM020110
2012-08-02, 09:23 PM
I would draw. Using the online deck for three cards, I got.

1.) Gem: Gain 25 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems. Not too useful, but I appear to be slightly rich at least...

2.) Moon: Gain 1d4 wishes. The die came up a four, so four wishes.

3.) Sun: Gain 50000 xp and a medium magical item. I rolled an 87 and a 58 for the random generation, so I gain a periapt of wisdom +4.

I use one of my wishes now, to wish that the magical effects of the next negative draw from the deck be negated.

Draw four.

1.) Fates: Avoid any situation...once. Useful, I suppose.

2.) Rogue: No effect due to the wish.

At this point before drawing, I make another wish to negate the magical effects of the next negative draw from the deck.

3.) Idiot: No effect due to the wish.

At this point before drawing, I make another wish to negate the magical effects of the next negative draw from the deck.

4.) Talons: No effect due to the wish.

I'll use the fourth wish now, for the same thing as the last three, and declare two more draws.

1.) Skull: No effect due to the wish.

2.) Fates: Avoid any situation...once. Again.

Thus far I've gained, and used, four wishes. I have gained 25 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems, a periapt of wisdom +4, 10.5 levels, and the ability to avoid any two situations of my choice. I have drawn nine cards.

Not bad.

Seerow
2012-08-02, 09:39 PM
I would draw. Using the online deck for three cards, I got.

1.) Gem: Gain 25 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems. Not too useful, but I appear to be slightly rich at least...

2.) Moon: Gain 1d4 wishes. The die came up a four, so four wishes.

3.) Sun: Gain 50000 xp and a medium magical item. I rolled an 87 and a 58 for the random generation, so I gain a periapt of wisdom +4.

I use one of my wishes now, to wish that the magical effects of the next negative draw from the deck be negated.

Draw four.

1.) Fates: Avoid any situation...once. Useful, I suppose.

2.) Rogue: No effect due to the wish.

3.) Idiot: No effect due to the wish.

4.) Talons: No effect due to the wish.

I'll use the fourth wish now, for the same thing as the last three, and declare two more draws.

1.) Skull: No effect due to the wish.

2.) Fates: Avoid any situation...once. Again.

Thus far I've gained, and used, four wishes. I have gained 25 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems, a periapt of wisdom +4, 10.5 levels, and the ability to avoid any two situations of my choice. I have drawn nine cards.

Not bad.

Why not use the first "avoid a situation" card on one of the negative cards, and keep one of the wishes to get yourself the 10million dollars worth of gold to live comfortably the rest of your life?

MachineWraith
2012-08-02, 10:32 PM
In real life? I don't believe in the supernatural, so I'd take the deck as a novelty and probably play around with it.

Whether a character drew would depend on the character, but I default to no, as I'm not a gambler. But out of curiosity:

Fates
Moon
Talons

So. Fates used to avoid Talons, and I'm left with 1-4 wishes. Guess I should be a gambler :smallannoyed:

NM020110
2012-08-03, 07:48 AM
Why not use the first "avoid a situation" card on one of the negative cards, and keep one of the wishes to get yourself the 10million dollars worth of gold to live comfortably the rest of your life?

Because I wasn't optimizing my wishes. If I was...well, one wish is all I really need to become pun-pun.

lerg2
2012-08-04, 06:36 PM
"If my fate is not what I would make......."
If I found a DoMT, I would keep it until I'm old, on my deathbed, and retrieve it. The I draw....(Gem, Star, Flames, Jester, Sun)
Well. The useful magic item would probably kill the demon/devil, so that's pretty much good with me. No wishes though, so I can't wish for eternal youth.

Hyena
2012-08-05, 09:59 AM
I would absolutely draw. The worst thing it can do is to kill me, and if I'm lucky, I will be the happiest, richest AND the most powerful man on the Earth. So... let's draw? I've decided to draw cards as long as I don't get the Knight.

1) Ruin. Now I'm a hobo. Great.
2) Euryale. I become more weak-willed, less healthy and fast.
3) Key. I suddenly become a wielder of... uh... let's roll... club. Magic club. Nice.
4) Vizier. I've got one advice from some wise man. Worthless.
5) Comet. If I beat someone in a fight, I become more powerful. Nice, I should kick some puppies.
6) Comet again. Wow, even more puppies to kick!
7) Throne. So, now I both have some sort of keep AND I'm a leader.
8) Comet. Uh, tripple nice.
9) Comet. PETA gonna hate me.
10) Key. I've decided to spend my four levels on becoming a cleric, so I don't get martial weapons. So, roll on simple ones... Staff. Good, now I've got one more stick to beat people.
11) Rogue. Uh, bad! Bad! Bad, very bad! Now my Vizier hates me. I don't know how to deal with it.
12) Fool. I draw a card and lose one my cleric level.
13) Comet. Not for long, I guess.
14) Moon. I've got three wishes. Awesome! I'll spend them a little later.
15) Throne again? I'm born lucky, I guess.
16) Rogue. I've got no girlfriend anymore.
17) Vizier. Worthless.
18) Idiot. I lose five point of Intelligence, but I immediately spend my first wish to become the most intelligent man on the Earth.
19) The Void. Bad, bad, bad! I spend my second wish to make it so I've never drawn this card.
20) Flames. I've got an outsider to deal with and that's absolutely horrible, because I've got no power to kill him or her.
21) Rogue. I lose my Vizier.
22) Idiot. I become a little less smart, but I'm the most intelligent person on the planet, so it's barely bad.
23) Rogue. Okay, now my mom hates me as well.
24) Flames. One more outsider to deal with? Oh, brilliant.
25) Skull. I wish to become the 20 lvl cleric and 20 level sorcerer and proceed to wipe the floor with this ghost, because now I can hurt him. I've got no more wishes.
26) Euryale. I've got a little problem with saving throws, but considering that I'm 40 lvl character, that's barely a big deal.
27) Skull again. I kill the ghost and draw one more card.
28) Gem. Now I have several millions of dollars, don't I? Good.
29) Fates. The next time I've got a bad card, I can avoid it.
30) Euryale. Bad, but it could've been worse. I can use my Fates, but it's not the time.
31) Throne again? My third castle will be floating in the sky. Who said I can't place it there?
32) Donjon. BAD, BAD, BAD! But I've got Fates, so I'm free to live, dance and draw more cards.
33) Sun. I've got medium wondrous item? Good. I roll and get... Cloak of the bat. So, I guess, now I've got throat cancer.
34) Euryale. What, again? Bad, but, again, could've been worse.
35) Balance. I become, uh, roll... Lawful good? Do I have Fates card in my posession? No? Donjon would be bettter.
36) Knight. FINALLY! I've got a powerful human male fighter, that will do stuff for me. And since I'm risky, let's go for forty cards.
37) Flames. No outsider can stop epic character.
38) Fates. Good, very good.
39) Moon. Three wishes, yay!
40) Ruin. All of my posession are lost, but I use my Fates to undo that.

So, now I've got three wishes? First, I want legions of tanarri at my command. Second, I want to become chaotic neutral again. Third, I want... Deck of many things, EXTREME EDITION.

Sturmcrow
2012-08-05, 03:48 PM
Slightly rich?

I decided I would draw two cause why not.

I got the Gem one also, I calculated it out to being 26,284,116 Dollars using the base value gems.

I would retire!

Sudain
2012-08-06, 10:42 AM
Several people have mentioned using wishes to undo the negative effects of cards for deck of many things. What's the reasoning other than 'it can re-write reality'?

lunar2
2012-08-06, 11:25 AM
the wish is the same as the wish spell, which can do any 1 of several things. the relevant passage is below. what most people seem to forget is that the wish doesn't negate a bad draw, it forces a redraw. so, if you say you want to draw 2 cards, you draw a moon (1 wish), and then a donjon. you can use your wish to undo the bad draw, but you must still draw a second card, which could be just as bad as, if not worse than, donjon.

Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event. The wish forces a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s successful critical hit (either the attack roll or the critical roll), a friend’s failed save, and so on. The reroll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.

Sudain
2012-08-06, 11:51 AM
Ah, thank you. :)

Chemiisan
2012-08-06, 01:49 PM
Hell no.

Did you completely miss the point of the lion in the bedroom? If I had to die (which I more than likely will), I want to die in the most amazing way possible.

Dungeon Master?

Deal me a card!

Tyndmyr
2012-08-06, 02:05 PM
You, sir are awesome :smallbiggrin:

Glad you enjoy. =)

If I'm going out, I might as well have fun in the process!