PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Feats for a Underfoot Adept trip-monkey.

Arutema
2012-07-27, 02:10 PM
Hi all. I'm current building a Halfling underfoot Adept for Pathfinder Society using my excess GM credit.

Build so far is:
Level 4 Halfling Monk (Underfoot Adept)

Stats:
Str 10
Dex 19
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 10

Gear:
Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists (thus the Str dump)
Ring of Protection +1
Sling with bullets
Pair of cold iron kama,
Wand of Infernal Healing
Wand of Mage Armor

Feats:
Weapon Finesse
Improved Trip (From Underfoot Adept)
Combat Reflexes (Monk bonus feat)
Agile Maneuvers (Not strictly necessary to finesse trip, but would like it for my other maneuvers.)

Traits:
Reactionary
Dangerously Curious

Skills:
Acrobatics, Stealth, Perception, Use Magic Device

Fluff:
LN Member of the Sisters of the Golden Erinyes, worships Asmodeus.

Now the questions:
I'm debating between Pirana Strike (extra damage on each attack) and Vicious Stomp (free attacks) for my 5th level feat. I'm also trying to decide on my 6-th level monk bonus feat, and would appreciate advice.

Now that I've saved up for and bought the AoMF, what should my next purchase be? I'm thinking a belt of Dex.

Would prefer to keep sources used to Core, APG, ARG, Ultimates and ISWG, but other Pathfinder is probably acceptable.

grarrrg
2012-07-27, 03:31 PM
Level 4 Halfling Monk (Underfoot Adept)

Stats:
Str 10
Dex 19
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 10

Gear:
Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists (thus the Str dump)
Feats:
Weapon Finesse
Improved Trip (From Underfoot Adept)
Combat Reflexes (Monk bonus feat)
Agile Maneuvers (Not strictly necessary to finesse trip, but would like it for my other maneuvers.)
I'm debating between Pirana Strike (extra damage on each attack) and Vicious Stomp (free attacks) for my 5th level feat. I'm also trying to decide on my 6-th level monk bonus feat, and would appreciate advice.

I question your Str-dumping-ness.
You have Weapon Finesse for Dex-to-hit, and Agile for Dex-to-damage.
Halfling gives -2 Str.
And yet you still have 10 Str??
Why? 8 Str would work just as well, and you could put the remaining Point-Buy towards more WIS or CON (or even INT for skills).

Also, as an alternative to Piranha Strike, take a look at Risky Striker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/risky-striker-combat-halfling), same Damage bonus, but it subtracts from your AC instead of your To-Hit (although it only works against opponents 2 or more sizes larger than you).
I'm not saying it's better, just that it's worth a look.

Arutema
2012-07-27, 07:45 PM
I question your Str-dumping-ness.
You have Weapon Finesse for Dex-to-hit, and Agile for Dex-to-damage.
Halfling gives -2 Str.
And yet you still have 10 Str??
Why? 8 Str would work just as well, and you could put the remaining Point-Buy towards more WIS or CON (or even INT for skills).

Also, as an alternative to Piranha Strike, take a look at Risky Striker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/risky-striker-combat-halfling), same Damage bonus, but it subtracts from your AC instead of your To-Hit (although it only works against opponents 2 or more sizes larger than you).

I get into carrying capacity issues with lower than 10 Str, and would prefer not to devote a slot to Muleback Cords to remedy that.

Most opponents in Pathfinder Society are medium humanoids with class levels, so having a feat limited to large or larger creatures is of limited use. I can see it being useful in other campaigns though.

Cieyrin
2012-07-28, 09:00 AM
Most opponents in Pathfinder Society are medium humanoids with class levels, so having a feat limited to large or larger creatures is of limited use. I can see it being useful in other campaigns though.

Reduce Person would remedy that, though I don't know what level of investment you want to invest in seeing you can get that to work all the time, as you'd probably want to multiclass Magus or an Empyreal Sorcerer so you can use Wis as your casting stat. Even with your current stats, you'll get 4 Reduce Persons a day. :smallsmile:

Blyte
2012-07-28, 10:28 PM

Take Piranha and Risky imo.

"Risky Striker" looks pretty good.. in the upper levels it should pay dividends.

Halfling Barbarian Raarrrrr

Power Attack + Risky Striker + Reckless Abandon

at 12th level you are looking at +20 damage -8 AC. (with a 2hander vs. large+)

I'll take the 2 point strength hit for +8 damage, thanks.

It's too bad the risky striker doesn't gain 50% from 2handers like power attack. But I guess it balances since it has reckless abandon built-in.

if you were to get a reduce person making you tiny, so you can use risky striker vs. medium, would it impinge on your AoOs? I seem to remember hearing something about tiny creatures not being able to threaten adjacent squares.

Khosan
2012-07-28, 10:55 PM
Halfling Barbarian Raarrrrr

Power Attack + Risky Striker + Reckless Abandon

at 12th level you are looking at +20 damage -8 AC. (with a 2hander vs. large+)

If I'm reading the feats correctly, you'd only ever take -1 AC from Risky Striker. The SRD doesn't say anything about the AC penalty increasing with higher BAB.

Blyte
2012-07-28, 11:17 PM
you are correct, but that will likely see errata

Arutema
2012-07-29, 09:18 PM
Reduce Person would remedy that, though I don't know what level of investment you want to invest in seeing you can get that to work all the time, as you'd probably want to multiclass Magus or an Empyreal Sorcerer so you can use Wis as your casting stat. Even with your current stats, you'll get 4 Reduce Persons a day. :smallsmile:

Empyreal is certainly an odd bloodline choice for a worshiper of Asmodeus. A dip would let me use those wands without having to roll UMD, though it would not do nice things to my BAB. Reduce Person also has the disadvantage of taking away my 5' reach, so I could not use Combat Reflexes effectively while reduced.

Would i be overly tanking my to-hit by using Piranha Strike? Or am I already accurate enough for my level that it is worth the extra damage?

RndmNumGen
2012-07-29, 11:30 PM
What about Ki Throw? Free Reposition whenever you trip somebody(great for flanking!)

Arutema
2012-07-30, 01:39 AM
What about Ki Throw? Free Reposition whenever you trip somebody(great for flanking!)

I hadn't thought of that, but by strictest reading of the rules, I am still counted as small for purposes of what opponents I can throw using the feat.

Cieyrin
2012-07-30, 05:07 PM
Empyreal is certainly an odd bloodline choice for a worshiper of Asmodeus. A dip would let me use those wands without having to roll UMD, though it would not do nice things to my BAB. Reduce Person also has the disadvantage of taking away my 5' reach, so I could not use Combat Reflexes effectively while reduced.

Would i be overly tanking my to-hit by using Piranha Strike? Or am I already accurate enough for my level that it is worth the extra damage?

Empyreal reflects merely your lineage, not your moral leanings. Bending your angelic heritage to your will in pursuit of your personal goals is an old but good trope to dust off and bring back to the fore.

As for BAB, you lose 1 BAB on a 3/4 BAB class, not that big a difference. As for reach concerns, Lunge can solve that and your AC will be will even out with the gains from Reduce Person. Where to fit it in, I'm not sure, but you could certainly Sting like a Bee this way. :smallwink: