PDA

View Full Version : Trapmaking mayhem on a bow??

animewatcha
2012-07-27, 09:52 PM
These are questions that I thought of due to the suggestion in another thread of the automatic reset trap of arrowstrike for the bow. The questions are: Can you have multiple automatic reset traps ( of different spells ) on the same bow/weapon? If so, can they affect the same target (i.e. Arrowsplit + bloodfreeze arrow ) and 'stack' so long as they don't have conflicting bonuses?

Flickerdart
2012-07-27, 09:55 PM
You can't really put a trap on a weapon. You could, however, put it on a cart and just stomp on it when you wanted it triggered, I guess.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-27, 11:12 PM
Or in one of your transdimensional pockets, so each time you use quickdraw to pull something out it activates, granting you infinite castings a turn!

Resetting magical traps are dumb.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 01:53 AM
It's not so much that they're dumb, as it is that an overly permissive DM is screwing himself if he lets players abuse them. I generally rule that for it to count as a magical trap it has to be stationary, relative to the ground. No magical traps in carts, portable holes, etc.... this makes them almost impossible to abuse.

Trying to use them the way you see suggested on TO boards will just get you bludgeoned about the head with a DMG.

animewatcha
2012-07-28, 07:02 PM
TO? Theoretical Optimization?

Actually, I was planning on seeing if this type of thing would be used in very specific circumstances ( like only in scenario with BBEG with lots of minions, or Arrowsplit + Splitting-ench + Healing arrows ).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 07:36 PM
TO? Theoretical Optimization?

Actually, I was planning on seeing if this type of thing would be used in very specific circumstances ( like only in scenario with BBEG with lots of minions, or Arrowsplit + Splitting-ench + Healing arrows ).

That is the TO I meant, yes.

Remember, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the BBEG can do it, so can your players, unless you're explicitly giving your baddies abilities your players are arbitrarily unable to emulate. That doesn't usually go over very well.

If the trap you described is attached to a wall or floor in the room your players fight the BBEG that'd be fine, if extraordinarily dangerous.

animewatcha
2012-07-28, 07:53 PM
I was actually hoping to do this as the mystic ranger against the BBEG or in case of in-battle healing needed. DM permission needed of course ( I peeked his interest on the auto-reset thinger ).

Would this kind of 'trap' fall under CR 1-3, 4-6, or 7-10? Is the cr just the 'highest-level spell' for arrowsplit or is it something else? Trying to see if the DC would be 25, 30, or 35 ( after automatic reset ).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 09:00 PM
If your DM thinks it all the way through, he'll likely either come to the same conclusion I did, or your game is about to undergo a paradigm shift. Resetting magical traps are insanely cheap compared to a normal magic item that creates the same effect. Even if you promise not to ever use it, having a pocket nuke will make it impossible to keep the game running smoothly.

The CR of the trap would be equal to X+1 where X is the level of the highest level spell used in the trap.

Menteith
2012-07-28, 09:19 PM
If magical traps are being (ab)used in a game not set up to handle them, they can very easily seriously derail a campaign. Autoreset traps have about the same potential power as a Candle of Invocation loop.