PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Spell Alteration

MrRigger
2012-07-27, 10:32 PM
I've been reading through a number of books lately, and I've noticed something. There's a set of related level 9 spells that, while they should be mirrors of each other, aren't really equal at all. I'm talking about Elemental Swarm (PHB), Abyssal Army (SpC), Heavenly Host (SpC), and Hellish Horde (SpC).

I'm basing the power of the spell series off of Elemental Swarm, as it was the first printed, the other spells coming later.

Elemental Swarm summons 2d4 Large Elementals (CR5), 1d4 Huge Elementals (CR7), and 1 Greater Elemental (CR9).

Hellish Horde summons 2d4 Bearded Devils (CR5), 1d4 Chain Devils (CR6), and 1 Bone Devil (CR9).

Abyssal Army summons 2d4 Dretches (CR2), 1d4 Babau Demons (CR6), and 1 Vrock (CR9).

Heavenly Host summons 2d4 Lantern Archons (CR2), and 1d4 Hound Archons (CR4).

Now, Hellish Horde is right about in line with Elemental Swarm, but summoning Dretches from a level 9 spell seems plainly silly, and while Evil always gets the best stuff, Heavenly Host can't seem to get anything good at all. Again, CR2 creatures, even in a group, should not be summoned via a level 9 spell, and the second summon isn't in line with the other spells (CR6-7) either, and they don't even get a third creature.

Sure, there's certainly better things to do with your 9th level spell slots (Gate, Shapechange, etc.), but they're great for flavor if nothing else. How would one go about making these spells more equal? Switch Dretches out for something a little more powerful, sure, but Heavenly Host seems really underpowered and jumping straight to the Angels would make it too powerful to be in line with the rest. What do you think, Playground?

MrRigger

molten_dragon
2012-07-28, 06:50 AM
Well, for heavenly host, I would suggest patterning it the same as the other spells. 2d4 CR 4-5 creatures (Probably hound Archons), 1d4 CR6-7 creatures (Justice Archons from MM4 would work), and 1 CR 8-9 creature (you could use Hammer archons from Races of Stone, Warden Archons from BoED, or Word Archons from Tome of Magic). Since you're using creatures of slightly lower CR (4 and 6 vs. 5 and 7) for the masses of creatures, you could maybe get away with a CR 10 as your big powerful critter, which would give you the Sibyllic Guardian from Complete Psionic and the Justice Archon Champion from MM4 as choices.

For Abyssal Army, I would suggest replacing the Dretches with either Yochlol Demons (monsters of Faerun), Cambion Demons (expedition to the demonweb pits), or Carnage Demons (MM5).

Obviously, you'd want to check out the creatures and make sure they aren't significantly over- or underpowered for their CR, but at least the CRs are more in the same ballpark.

MrRigger
2012-07-28, 03:51 PM
Sounds good. I'll take a look at them to see how they fit.

MrRigger

hewhosaysfish
2012-07-28, 05:56 PM
Isn't there a CG version of the same spell? "Pride of the Beastlands" or something? I don't have the SpC with me right now so I can't check if it's in line with the others...

molten_dragon
2012-07-29, 06:23 AM
Isn't there a CG version of the same spell? "Pride of the Beastlands" or something? I don't have the SpC with me right now so I can't check if it's in line with the others...

Fierce pride of the beastlands. It's a little different. It's 8th level rather than 9th, and summons celestial lions and dire lions rather than summoning the alignment-linked outsiders (demons, devils, archons, etc.). As far as I know, there is no version that summons Eladrin (The CG outsiders), but I think that's because there aren't very many Eladrin in the game, and the ones there are don't fit the right CR.