PDA

View Full Version : Enchantment Suggestions

LanSlyde
2012-07-28, 01:13 AM
Alright, the campaign is at that point where the unlikely heros are summoned by the king to go forth and smite things in his name. Now, unlike most games, he's actually giving us shiny bits to accomplish the task. Our assassin got himself a shiny +3 adamantine dagger that also boosted his Death Attack save by a large margin. Our other assassin got a +5 Composite +3 longbow that boosts his SA damage by 2d6. Our psion got a staff of fireballs that, if he chooses could be delayed blast fireballs.

Now, it could have been because it was the end of the meet, and it could also have been because our DM REALLY needed to go, but he said for me to go see the Master Archivist and his cadre of clerics, I may choose one enchantment for my spiked chain. So long as it does not put it above a +10 equivalent weapon.

So this is what I was wondering. Currently I have a fleshgrinding masterslaying prismatic spiked chain. It's the equivalent of a +4 weapon as it stands. I was looking through enchantments and thought about brilliant energy, but tbh he throws way too much undead and constructs at us. So I got into the epic level handbook and was thinking about the +6 elemental enchantments.

Grabbing one of those would give me a +10 weapon. what I want to know is if you guys have any better suggestions.

VGLordR2
2012-07-28, 01:30 AM
This (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread) is a pretty useful resource. It rates all of the different enhancements, so you can see what's good and what isn't.

LanSlyde
2012-07-28, 01:33 AM
This (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread) is a pretty useful resource. It rates all of the different enhancements, so you can see what's good and what isn't.

Indeed, now give me ideas yourself. I've looked over the various guides already.

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 04:59 AM
I don't know how much you care about fluff or crunch but in Bastion Press- Arms and Armor, there's an enhancement called Firm Faith and I'll spoil the complete details of it for you. (Paraphrasing Mind you)

Weapons possessing of this enchantment are not composed of wood, leather or metal. Rather it is constructed of the very essence of the priest's faith. It makes it so that you weapon or armor with this bonus appears in a way that represents your Deity. It also makes you cast spells of a particular domain at +1 caster level. If you don't have any domains it adds the same to your highest level spell.

LanSlyde
2012-07-28, 12:40 PM
I don't know how much you care about fluff or crunch but in Bastion Press- Arms and Armor, there's an enhancement called Firm Faith and I'll spoil the complete details of it for you. (Paraphrasing Mind you)

Weapons possessing of this enchantment are not composed of wood, leather or metal. Rather it is constructed of the very essence of the priest's faith. It makes it so that you weapon or armor with this bonus appears in a way that represents your Deity. It also makes you cast spells of a particular domain at +1 caster level. If you don't have any domains it adds the same to your highest level spell.

hmm, I like it. I'll keep it in mind.

Keld Denar
2012-07-28, 12:56 PM
Collision is a solid enhancement. +5 static damage, so it multiplies on a crit. Transmuting is another one that I'd not want to be without, especially at higher levels. Bypassing DR can result in about 10-15 extra damage per hit, after the weapon adapts. Both are in the MIC.

Depending on your class buildout, there are some buffs that are really beneficial. If your Cha is really high, Sudden Stunning from the DMGII is pretty smexy. If you are fighting a lot of Undead/Evil Outsiders, Sacred is a pretty big bang for your buck. If you are particularly resilient, Viscious is pretty fun too, +2d6 damage for a measly +1 equivalent, you just take backlash damage which really can't be mitigated easily. With a high enough Con (and generally several other protective boosts like a high AC or a miss chance), the extra damage you take isn't really relevant.

Some of the limited use buffs are also kinda fun. Whirlwind Attack is generally considered a very bad feat (too prereq heavy, dangerous to use), but the Whirling enhancement is pretty decent. Sometimes you just find yourself surrounded by mooks that you can 1 shot and you need to clear them out so you can focus on bigger and better things. Brutal Surge is another fun one. Especially since you have reach, you can knock a foe out of your threat range on your tertiary or quaternary attack and then claim an AoO on them when they close back with you. Not something you want to do every fight on every attack, but situationally VERY useful.

CyMage
2012-07-28, 02:08 PM
Wrathful Healing can be useful. 1/2 of the damage you deal is returned to you as healing.

LanSlyde
2012-07-28, 06:42 PM
Thank you people guys. If you don't mind, what book is wrathful healing in?

lsfreak
2012-07-28, 07:20 PM
Thank you people guys. If you don't mind, what book is wrathful healing in?

Enemies and Allies, a 3.0 book. If that's not available (it is really powerful, even for a +3), Bodyfeeder takes your crit damage and turns it into temporary hit points, but that won't do a lot of good if he's throwing lots of constructs and undead at you.

Fighter1000
2012-07-28, 07:26 PM
You should go with the Annihilation enchantment. When you crit with the weapon, causes instant death with no save.

LanSlyde
2012-07-28, 08:42 PM
You should go with the Annihilation enchantment. When you crit with the weapon, causes instant death with no save.

While I thank you all for suggestions, it would be more effective if you also listed what book the enchantment can be found in. Thank you.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-28, 08:55 PM

What book is that in? :smallconfused:

With Wrathful Healing, remember that it only heals you for damage dealt to creatures, so you can't hit the floor to heal. It's also Positive Energy, so it hurts you if you're Undead. A really nice enchantment if you have good DPR.