PDA

View Full Version : A query on how drastically this will affect balance

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 04:47 AM
So in a campaign I plan on running at some point I've decided to do two thing that I think will add a lot of flavor on a mechanical sense and fluff wise but I'm unsure as to how badly it could derail balance.

For one, the only caster class anymore is the sorcerer, who has access to any spell from the big three spell lists (Wizard, Druid,Cleric). The spells will still be treated as arcane and having a spell chance failure as such.

Secondly I thought about giving them 1lv free gestalt in any of the NPC classes explained in the DMG to give them a bit of a story to their characters. For example, as an Elf I have a history of swordplay and magic. So at level 1 I take my normal class as Sorcerer and then my secondary Origin/Gestalt as Warrior.

I know that this should probably be on homebrew, but i thought it might fit here as well.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-28, 05:03 AM
Drop sorceror back a level in casting since you'll be giving a major bonus to their casting, and make it so they can't gestalt. That should make it about as balanced as a caster with all schools can be.

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 05:07 AM
So make it so that they gain their 2nd level spells at 5th level? Also the gestalt is only for the 1st level. So they wouldn't be a lv 12 Sorc lv 12 war. they'd be a lv12 Sorc lv1 war( i doubt i typed that out correctly but i hope you understand what i mean)

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-28, 05:17 AM
I see the gestalt now. That's fine I guess. As for the sorcerer, it's basically like lesser mystic theurge, letting you pick the best spells off both lists. However, there won't be much flexibility. Still tier 2, but a bit stronger. As long as the rest of the party is really optimized tier 4s or up and the sorcerers don't try to break the game, it should be fine.

Ossian
2012-07-28, 05:17 AM
So make it so that they gain their 2nd level spells at 5th level? Also the gestalt is only for the 1st level. So they wouldn't be a lv 12 Sorc lv 12 war. they'd be a lv12 Sorc lv1 war( i doubt i typed that out correctly but i hope you understand what i mean)

Sounds like the unearthed arcana battle sorcerer limitations might be ok for you http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys, that's about the balance I was going for so I'm glad you think it's around there as well.

molten_dragon
2012-07-28, 06:18 AM
It should be okay. Giving sorcerers access to all spells in the game won't be nearly as much of a boost to their power level as it seems like, simply because they get so few spells known.

Flasaro
2012-07-28, 07:56 AM
I agree, and that's why i decided to limit it to sorcerer. I wanted a feel similar to how the mages are in dragon age because i think they're pretty schweet

Greyfeld85
2012-07-28, 11:15 AM
It should be okay. Giving sorcerers access to all spells in the game won't be nearly as much of a boost to their power level as it seems like, simply because they get so few spells known.

You do realize that by having access to all spell lists, that also means that they can wand, scroll and stave any spell in existence without a UMD check, right?

ShadowPsyker
2012-07-28, 02:45 PM
Having access isn't really the problem, heck Arcane disciple from complete divine lets an arcane caster choose a domain to pull from so I've used that for the healing domain and walked around as the party healer at 6th level with cure light, cure mod, & cure serious (not to mention healing hands later on with false life), but still had magic missiles and acid arrows to smash people in the face with. At 6th level I even took the Touch of Healing feat which let me heal any target at will for 3 Hp per spell lv of healing spell available, up to half their Hp.

However, having rampant access to jump back and forth with spells is a little more iffy. Maybe they could pick a primary list of their choosing. They could even give up their familiar to have a secondary list which they cast at half level.

molten_dragon
2012-07-28, 03:59 PM
You do realize that by having access to all spell lists, that also means that they can wand, scroll and stave any spell in existence without a UMD check, right?

Yes, I realize that. Having played in numerous high-powered games, scrolls/staves/wands don't get used all that often really. Most players don't like to plunk down a lot of gold on expendable resources.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-07-28, 04:37 PM
Yes, I realize that. Having played in numerous high-powered games, scrolls/staves/wands don't get used all that often really. Most players don't like to plunk down a lot of gold on expendable resources.

In the games that you've played, that is. Not universally.