PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Mystery of the Ruins of Dalkir

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-28, 11:35 AM
15th of Summer's End, 4e1187

It's your last day in town - you've nearly run out of money, so it's either head out for the Ruins, or try to get a job in town.

You've decided to meet up in the Introverted Mole tavern, near the north gate of Sticksport. It's three days' hike from here to the Ruins of Delkir, but you've got plenty of provisions for the journey. Still... no harm in a few rounds, right?

Just as you're enjoying yourselves, a cloaked man bursts into the tavern! He's hurt, badly, but shoos away the town priest - having popped in for a quick sherry - when he attempts to tend to his wounds. "I have to... speak with the delvers. They're here, aren't they? The ones going to the Ruins?"

mkfuba07
2012-07-28, 02:59 PM
"Did someone ask for the delvers?" Carassion looks up from his glass, head whipping around rapidly until his eyes fall on the injured man in the cloak. One eyebrow lifts curiously before he turns back to the strangers he was drinking with, smiling. "You'll have to excuse me, there appears to be some need of my services." He stands up from the table, tugging on his gloves to make sure they're snugly in place. He walks up to the man, nodding his head in welcome. "Hello, sir. I'm one of those going to the ruins. Can I get you a drink while you presumably tell us why you're in such a state? You appear to need one, if you don't mind me saying so."

a_humble_lich
2012-07-28, 11:28 PM
Sslethax sits in a dark corner of the tavern brooding. Upon hearing this mysterious stranger enter, he stands up and joins Carassion and the stranger, "Yesss, I alsso am planning to go to the ruinsss. And what happened to you and why musst you ssspeak with usss." His forked tongue flicks out while he speaks.

galenbd
2012-07-29, 07:43 AM
Angharad has shifted a chair back from the table to give her more space. Tonight the tavern is doesn't have very many people around, but Angharad is still not comfortable. She wants to help and thankfully she only had to go into town once. After that the meeting shifted here which was easier to get to.

The ale didn't really help much since she never drank enough to relax. This mug was about finished when the man comes in asking about people heading to the ruins.

"We were planning to to the ruins. Have you news of them?"

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-29, 07:53 AM
The cloaked man limps his way to the party. "I have... news... from the ruins. My brother and I... we... we decided we wanted to check them out for ourselves. Try to get there before you? Well, we did... But we weren't expecting the Dinos! They've set up a camp inside the ruins, and they're... guarding someth-"

Suddenly, the man glances at Sslethax, and gives a shriek. "Oh, no! They followed me!"" His hand flies to the hilt of his sword. "You bastards ate my brother!" He goes to draw...

Yeah, he can't tell the difference between Dinomen and Dragon-blooded.

Jann
2012-07-29, 01:57 PM
Finally, Moonriver surfaces. The small mug of bitter beer that had been sitting otherwise untouched has revealed a small figure, responding to the sounds of conflict. Abruptly, a fairy dripping in beer is floating in front of the cloaked man, a hand up in the air.

"Sir! This is our ally, and he is no monster, and his kind haven't eaten your brother!" The sharp, high voice is powerful enough to carry, as she floats in front of him. And the sight of a modestly attractive dripping pixie is hopefully enough to at least stun him long enough for the others to kindly disarm him.

Diplomacy of 13[roll0]

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-29, 02:04 PM
The cloaked man hesitates as he's suddenly spoken to by a... dripping wet pixie. He just stares, dumbfounded, his hand loosening its grip on his sword.

Now might be a good opportunity to disarm him. Or perhaps knock him out. The patrons would likely be quite testy if you killed him...

mkfuba07
2012-07-29, 03:39 PM
Carassion saw his opportunity and decided to take it. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to try to wrap this up," he said as he quickly stepped forward, brandishing his cloak. It lashed out, ensnaring the man's torso and binding his arms to his sides.

If that is a success:

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but we can't have you injuring our friend over there," he said as he removed the man's sword from its scabbard, passing it to a nearby tavern patron. "We have no intention of hurting you, we only wish to know what you are able to tell us of the Dinomen."

Cloak of 14 [roll0]
DX of 15 [roll1]

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-29, 04:14 PM
The man is successfully tangled up, and his sword is easily retrieved and passed to a nearby patron - who looks quite wary as she takes the blade!

The cloaked man doesn't respond for a long moment, before mumbling. "...'ve made camp inside the ruins... Wouldn't let us in... Scouts all over the woods..."

a_humble_lich
2012-07-29, 04:49 PM
"Do not worry, I am not one of the barbaric creaturesss you call the Dinosss. Like you I am only after the richess insside the tomb. There isss no need for violence.

galenbd
2012-07-29, 09:26 PM
Carassion binds the man quickly and Angharad eases her hand away from her spear relieved. Once the man starts to babbled, Angharad changes her tack.

"Why don't you sit down and have a drink. You tell us all about it. I'm buying."

Jann
2012-07-29, 10:50 PM
The pixie titters, and flaps her wings rapidly, drying herself off. "Oh, darn, lost some beer." She sighs, resigned to the fact that it sounds like she may not be getting drunk tonight, and flutters forward to land on the strange man's shoulder, looking very curious indeed. "Yes, please, tell us all you know. We could use any information we can find, and I can promise we will give you a certain compensation."

As always, the pixie is unfailingly polite and dignified, even as she perches on the man's shoulder. "Ah, where are my manners- Would you care for the rest of my beer? It's not nearly strong enough for me." she offers politely.

mkfuba07
2012-07-30, 04:21 AM
This poor man appears to have had enough.
Carassion releases the man from the folds of his cloak, being sure to keep an eye on him. He seems to have lost the will to fight, but appearances could be deceiving. He should know.
Going back to his table, he picked up the mug he'd left there and took a quick swig. He turned to face the man, sitting on the edge of the table, and waited for his response to the questions his allies had posed.

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-30, 04:31 AM
The man looks a little uneasy now that he has a pixie on his shoulder. "Ah... sure..." he says, as he tentatively takes a seat and reaches for the pixie's beer...

He takes a sip... and then a swig, obviously trying to calm his nerves. "...My name is Falkion. My brother Billk and I are... were treasure hunters. We'd heard you lot were going to the Ruins, and decided to try to beat you there, see if we could find the treasure before you..." He looks a little sheepish.

He swallows. "The journey took about... three days. Billk is pretty good at the whole wilderness survival thing, so we didn't need to carry much... Once we got into the woods, though, we found there were dinomen everywhere. We... we managed to sneak by a bunch and met a dryad... She warned us that we should turn back, but we didn't listen."

"We got to the Ruins and found the place crawling with those disgu-" he cuts himself off, and glances up at Sslethax for a moment. "...Uncivilised dinos. They... they spotted us almost immediately. They hit Billk with... some... some sort of poison. He just dropped. I... I don't know if he was killed or... The last thing I saw before running they were dragging him... back to their camp. I..."

He shudders, putting the mug of beer down. "...Here. The dryad gave us these. Not... not much use to me anymore, really." He reaches into his pocket, and pulls out a handful of... acorns? He drops them on the table. "...Father Marco. I need to... talk to you. Funeral arrangements..." he mutters, as he stands up and walks over to the priest.

Jann
2012-07-30, 06:19 AM
The pixie leaves the man with a soft kiss on the cheek to console him somewhat, fluttering down to the table, dipping her feet in her beer again. "Then, we need to prepare ourselves, friends. Do we have any business left to take care of? If not, let's finish our drinks, and get on the road." She hops back into her drink, taking a few quick laps as the level noticeably lowers, before hopping out.

With her voice rather lowered, she whispers to the others. "I did not wish to raise the man's hopes, but his brother may still be alive when we get there, if we move quickly... I do not know much about dinomen, though." She nods to Angharad, speaking at a normal tone once again. "Would you mind studying those acorns? If they'd happen to be useful, it would be good to know that sooner rather than later." She grins lightly.

a_humble_lich
2012-07-30, 06:30 AM
"Perssonally I wonder where there are sso many Dinosss there. I guesss they are guarding something of great value hidden in the ruinsss. And I agree the brother may still be alive. I think it dependss on whether they captured him for food or for a ssacrifice."

mkfuba07
2012-07-30, 07:17 AM
Carassion's curiosity gets the better of him as the man places some acorns on the table, gifts from a generous dryad. He walks up to the pile and picks up one of the nuts, holding it up in front of his face as if to examine it. With a shrug, he tosses it gently back into the pile. "I don't recognize it myself, but I'm sure our druid friend would know better than I."

He pockets the second acorn that he picked up, having dropped it down his sleeve as he examined the other one. A small twitch at the sides of his mouth is the only indication of his pleasure with his ruse. His voice falls lower as well as he consults his allies. "However, I do agree that the man's brother may yet live. I feel it best that we leave as soon as possible, not only for whatever treasures lie hidden in the ruins, but also for the dinos' captive."

Sleight of Hand of 16 (3d6)[15]

galenbd
2012-07-30, 09:46 PM
Angaharad sees Carassion's hand move in her peripheral vision as she considers the one acorn sitting on the table. That boy would pick up a snake if just to see if he could. Faerie baubles are not to be underestimated

Still she says nothing. Instead she thinks back to playing with Dariel and her winged friends. If I were a dryad and actually wanted to help a human, what would I make these acorns into?

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-31, 03:36 AM
No one else seems to notice Carassion pocketing the acorn - seems he got away with it. Well, that, or no one really cares - after all, as far as most people know, it's just an acorn.

Angaharad
You remember stories about Dryad Oaks - powerfully magical trees that attract Dryads to them. The acorns of these trees are magical and quite ofte empowered by whatever Faerie spirit happens to have inhabited the tree. If given willingly, they can heal 1 HP of damage if eaten. If stolen, however, they can sometimes curse anyone eating them... although never badly enough to do any serious injury.

They're also likely to be of use to an alchemist, as they're a possible ingredient in healing concoctions.

Jann
2012-07-31, 07:15 AM
Moonriver hmms, as she flutters about. "Is there anything special about them? If not, we might as well get on the road." As Angharad no doubt knows, Moonriver is an alchemist of some fair skill. The small pixie sighs. "Perhaps if we can find some solid money, we will be able to afford some alcohol that can give me a buzz without rupturing something."

Already, the fairy is up and fluttering around, clearly ready to move- And barring a very good reason not to, she's going to be grabbing them and fluttering out the door with them in tow.

mkfuba07
2012-07-31, 08:09 AM
Carassion smiles at Moonriver. "I like the way you think, pixie. I could do with some stronger drink as well. Allow me to take care of a few matters, and I shall be ready to leave." He returns to the woman to whom he had handed Falkion's sword and, after thanking her for holding onto it, brings it to the man. As he releases the blade, he says, "I apologize for having been rough with you before, and I thank you for your help. I cannot speak for the others, but I will do what I can to make the Dinomen pay for what they have done to your brother."

Did it matter that he intended to make them pay in gold and spoils? Carassion didn't think so. Vengeance is vengeance, regardless of methods. Why not try to develop a good reputation in the process? His deeds done, he finished off his beer, hoisted his pack onto his shoulders, and went to stand near the fluttering pixie.

galenbd
2012-07-31, 08:37 AM
Angharad smiles to herself at the pixie's question. "Of course they're special. They are seeds of a magical oak tree coaxed into human hands by a fey. Usually these gifts heal, but with most faerie magic, malice breeds malice. The trees have a long memory.

She scoops up the remainder of the acorns and approaches Falkion as well. She hold the acorns out in her hand and bows to him. "Thank you for this gift. I will endeavor to use them in the spirit which they were gifted to you."

"Your warning is appreciated. We will endeavor to look for your brother as we have opportunity."

Returning to the table, she drains the remains of her tankard in one swallow, wiping her mouth with her sleeve after she puts it back on the table. She gathers her pack and her spear and stands next to Carassion.

She mutters vaguely, "Ya know, I'm not sure I got all of the acorns, maybe one or two fell on the floor."

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-31, 09:48 AM
As Carassion hands Falkion his sword back, the priest glances towards him. As you all exit, the priest follows you. "Ah! Hold a moment, please. You seek to help poor Falkion retrieve his brother... or at least, his brother's earthly remains? You are, truly, good people." He hmms a moment, holding up one hand, as he digs beneath his robes.

The old man produces a wooden amulet, with a five-pointed star circled with clouds - the holy symbol of Tirna - carved on it. He holds it out to Carassion. "Take this, brother of the sky. May my Lady smile upon you." He smiles, himself, then turns to Sslethax.

"...Not all among my congregation care for your kind, my reptilian brother. But we are all children of the gods." He bows, deeply. "May the fire within protect you, brother.

He bows again. "Go with the gods."

Sslethax
'Fire within', and variations thereof, is an ancient blessing among the reptilian folk, who traditionally worship the God of Fire, Angmaros. The fire within is traditionally associated with inner strength and courage.

mkfuba07
2012-07-31, 11:51 AM
Before we attempt to exit:

Something in Angharad's tone made him question the success of his ploy. Could she have found me out? It's possible that there are many in the world who are much more observant than those of my village. Though she appears content to fool with me now, I may have to be more careful in more dangerous situations. He looks towards the druid with a playful smile on his face. "Well it seems in poor taste to leave without all of Falkion's gift. I shall check around the table and then meet you outside." He walked over to the table, feigning a search for the wayward nuts. As he ran his hand along the ground beneath the table (slightly elevated, of course, to preserve the cleanliness of his gloves), he dropped the acorn he had held, allowing it to roll gently along the ground. He picked it up, wiping it off on his shirt as he stood. "This is the only one I was able to find. It must have rolled off the table when I looked at it before. I will have to be more careful next time," he said as he held it out to Angharad on an open palm.

After receiving the gift:

Carassion was at a loss for words. Taking things from people he was comfortable with, but things freely given by strangers was a new experience for him. "I... thank you, priest. As long as it does not hinder me in any way, I will wear this talisman proudly." He hangs it around his neck, fussing with it until it lies just right, and with a respectful nod towards the priest, exits the tavern.

galenbd
2012-07-31, 12:02 PM
Looking at the tainted acorn in her palm, Angharad considers a moment. She hands it to Falkin saying, "Why don't you keep one. You might find a need for it one day."

Then she leaves the tavern following Carassion.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-01, 05:03 AM
Sslethax, slightly startled to here a traditional greeting here, give the priest a small bow and with a touch of reverence in his voice that his companions haven't heard before replies, "Thank you father, your blessing is most appreciated."

His business here concluded, he then follows Carassion out the tavern.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-01, 05:49 AM
Coastal Highway (Druidic powers are at -1)

As you step outside, the sun is just cresting its highest point. Delkir Forest is about two days' walk north by road from here, and it's practically impossible to get lost. There is scrubland to your left, most of the plants low enough to see over, although there are trees scattered around. To your right is the coast, and a gentle breeze is coming from it, bringing with it the bracing salt of the sea.

Now that you're out of town, it's possible to forage for food. Normally, you'll have to eat three meals a day of your rations (one lot of rations is for an entire day, so three meals), but foraging for food can lower that significantly.

If you want to forage, roll Survival (Plains) - which defaults to any other Survival specialty -2 - Naturalist or Fishing.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-01, 08:44 AM
Along the journey, Angharad ducks off the road every now and then, often coming back with a few sprigs of herbs, some nuts, and once a whole rabbit. In one case, she's followed out of the brush by a wolf, which seems to be following at her heel almost like a dog. You get the distinct impression that if you went looking for that wolf earlier, it wouldn't have been there...

Just as you're setting up camp, and Angharad is busy preparing the herbs into something useful, you spy a mounted figure travelling along the road. It's somewhat hard to make him out, due to the waning light.

Sslethax
He appears to be human, and his mount is certainly a donkey. The ass is laden down with bags, packs and free-hanging goods, so it's likely that this person is a merchant.

Carassion
A fat human, with olive-toned skin and a jovial face, is riding along on a donkey, burdened down with goods. The man is wearing a turban, and has a style of dress you've never seen before - obviously foreign! Obviously a merchant, too, considering he's carrying far too much stuff just to be a simple traveller.

mkfuba07
2012-08-01, 10:43 AM
Reclining in the boughs of a nearby tree, Carassion reports what he's seen to the others. "It seems that we have company. A merchant, by the look of him. Rather exotic clothing, and appears lightly armed. At first glance I would say that we have nothing to fear, though his presence does present some... interesting options." Carassion's mind races with thoughts of the potential delights that the donkey might hold. He had seen merchants before, but had never been in a situation where he could practice his craft on one of them. Don't get too carried away, he reprimanded himself, you know what happened last time...

galenbd
2012-08-01, 12:08 PM
Angharad looks down at the herbal pasts she was stirring. Nothing here I need to keep covered.

She sets the pot down and stands up. She gestures to the wolf trying to get it to move out of the road as she looks down the road at the approaching man. After getting a good look, she moves back close to her spear, just in case.

Jann
2012-08-01, 06:45 PM
Moonriver has spent the day fluttering occasionally, but mostly perched pleasantly on people's shoulders, fanning them. As she weighs marginally more than a golden coin, and is capable of providing cooling, this works out nicely for everyone involved. She's perched on Carassion's shoulder while he's in the tree, enjoying the elf's style, and hmmms, fluttering off on hearing this news. "I wonder where he's headed? Maybe he'd enjoy spending the evening with us..." Privately, the fairy wonders if he might have a better class of alcohol. Nonetheless, she smiles cheerily, ready to welcome the human with a cheerful grin and the promise of nothing, but the suggestion of everything.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-01, 07:11 PM
Perhapss thisss merchant hass ssome waress that would help uss in the ruinss. Or he might know sssomething of the dinoss. Sslethax stays in the back with the hood of his cloak hiding his face so as not to scare the merchant.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-01, 07:27 PM
The traveler continues on, until he gets closer - and seems to spot you! Whether it was the light from the fire or something else that grabbed his attention is unclear. "Ah! Fellow travelers!" he exclaims, in a rather thick accent - it's hard to pin down. He's very far from home, though.

As he urges his donkey forward, his face breaks into a broad smile. "Aah... quite a varied group, as well. Good! It is good that these lands are so welcoming of so many varied races." He stops his donkey close to the camp, but doesn't dismount.

mkfuba07
2012-08-01, 08:34 PM
Carassion leaped from the branch, spreading his wings to gently alight on the ground, doing his best to not frighten the man or his mount. "Yes, I am rather new to these lands as well. It feels good to be welcomed by strangers." Remembering Moonriver's words, he continued, "Perhaps you would like to share our fire and companionship for a while?

galenbd
2012-08-01, 10:20 PM
Angharad watches intently as the man insinuates himself into the group. Mayhap he will have word on the roads ahead.

She confirms Carassion's invitation, extending her hand, "Well met. I'm Angharad. You are most welcome. We have more than enough for all. Coli may eat enough for two."

a_humble_lich
2012-08-03, 03:40 AM
Still silent, Sslethax watches this intruder carefully, looking for any sign of threat.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-03, 05:53 AM
The foreign man stays on his donkey for a moment or two, then carefully, less-than-gracefully dismounts. The donkey looks... rather relieved, to be relieved of the weight!

"I would be honoured!" the man exclaims, cupping his hands together and bowing. "To share a fire with strangers and swap stories of our travels.. Ha! Why, that's why I came to this land in the first place." He approaches the fire.

Well, he seems friendly enough! He'd likely be receptive to some questions.

galenbd
2012-08-03, 10:37 PM
Angharad smiles at the man's ideas of openness. She whistles to call her wolf before turning back to him and asking, "What may we call you?"

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-05, 08:00 AM
The man starts suddenly, as if surprised by something. "Ah! I beg your pardons!" He bows, holding his hands with his fingertips touching. "My public name is Ahmad Xerxeszen."

As the wolf walks up, the man tenses for a moment, but relaxes again. "Now then. Let us sit by the fire and trade stories, hm?" He seems to be waiting for everyone's lead, though - probably his idea of politeness is to let his hosts drive the conversation?

Jann
2012-08-05, 08:52 AM
Moonriver, for her own part, has an absolute tide of questions for the man- After his name is asked, she asks where he comes from, where he's going, if he's a merchant, and if so, what kind, if he knows of any interesting rumors, if he has seen anything of the nearby ruins or heard of them, and, in a truly curious moment, if he has ever heard any tales of the God of Magic, and if he's got strong alcohol for sale.

galenbd
2012-08-05, 09:40 PM
After Coli listens to him and smells him, she settles down. Angharad shakes her head as Moonriver spouts off a rambling diatribe of questions. Just like a Pixie to bombard the man with questions and give nothing back.

"Shut yer yap, ya oversized butterfly. Ya can't expect him to tell you all that. Ya got to get to know him little by little."

She turns back to Ahmad and asks, "Ye said ye came to this land from somewhere's else. What's that place like?"

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-08, 05:35 AM
The man laughs heartily, and eats just as heartily as he talks. "I hail from a car far to the west, across the ocean. It is a land of endless deserts, harsh sun and little water... and so we worship the King of Oceans to grant us his boon." Another laugh. "He rarely does."

"I am on a pilgrimage. Not a... religious one, precisely, but one in search of more... base things." He grins. "I am indeed a merchant, like my mother before me, and her father before her. As for what I sell... ha! Everything but souls and wine, my dear."

Nope, he doesn't sell alcohol. Nuts.

"As for rumours... well. I was trading food with a reptilian fellow a few days ago, and he told me something you may find interesting. It seems as though the 'Dino-men' in the Delkir Forest have a new shaman - a foreigner from another tribe. I am told this is quite rare, although I must admit that I have has little contact with the reptilian folk of your lands, just yet."

He glances towards Sslethax for a moment, then grins.

"...As for the Great Builder, my tiny friend. I know many stories. Enough to fill a book! ... In fact, when you return to Sticksport, I might have such a book for sale..." He chuckles. "Did you know that He, in his wisdom, once built a house that floats in the sky? Said it was to see the stars. I say it was just one of his childish whimsies."

He claps his hands. "Now... I think that I should turn in for the night. I have had a long journey coming here, so I will bid you a good night." And without waiting for them to protest, he retrieves his tent from the back of his mule, flicks it once... and, when it suddenly bounces out into shape, he crawls inside and buttons up the door.

Huh. Magic, or clever artifice? Who knows.

galenbd
2012-08-08, 09:10 PM
Angharad listens to Ahmed's description of his homeland with interest. He's seen a real desert. I've only heard about them. I wonder if he can help me get there. Then he starts talking about Dinomen.

Angharad perks up since Falkion had mentioned Dinomen around the ruins. This man traded with a lizard recently. She glances over to Sslethax. I guess I can't hold that against him given my choice of traveling companions.

Angharad is musing this over as the man wraps up his dinner and unfurls his tent. She comes out of her revelry when he activates it, but is too slow on her questions to ask before he retires.

She turns to Sslethax. "I have been working on a way to counter the poison the Dinoman are using, however, I'm not sure I can counter his shamanic magic. Do you have any knowledge that would help?"

a_humble_lich
2012-08-09, 04:20 AM
"A new shaman ssayss he? That iss very interesssting. I wonder what thiss meanss." Sslethax ponders this for a moment. "As to your quesstion, I think I might be of sssome use here. I have picked up a few incantationsss that may help usss resssist hisss magicsss, but they mussst be casst before we are effected. If we become enssorceled then there is little I can do."

galenbd
2012-08-09, 08:58 PM
Angharad nods at Sslethax words. The antitoxin I've made works the same way. I am able to remove poisons after the fact however using a different method. Can you think of any ways to prevent the shaman from focusing on his magic?

a_humble_lich
2012-08-10, 06:04 AM
"The ssame magicss that serve to protect uss from hiss magicsss could alsso be ussed to sssever hiss connection to magical energiess."

mkfuba07
2012-08-10, 08:27 PM
"All of this talk of magic is terribly dull. Call me when we find a lock to pick," Carassion said as he turned to fly into the branch he'd been lounging on. The amulet he'd received from the priest rattled against his chest. Hmmm... I wonder.
He turned back to his companions and held the amulet elevated slightly off his chest. "Actually, are either of you able to sense anything magical about this trinket?

Jann
2012-08-11, 10:16 AM
Moonriver pfahs. "Certainly an exploding cloud of fire should make it hard for him to focus!" she says, waving a hand dismissively. "But I suppose that this is the reason I adventure with you lot... You come up with a few decent ideas." She grins. "You two should follow up on this... But you can do it while we're walking tomorrow, I think."

Moonriver flutters up onto the winged elf's shoulder, making herself pleasantly comfortable there. She briefly studies the amulet, her eyes twinkling, before she yawns, and settles in. If it doesn't look magical, she simply shrugs, and curls in against his neck, falling asleep in moments. Thank the gods she's light, huh?

[roll0]

galenbd
2012-08-11, 04:40 PM
Moonriver's words about sleep and discussion on the morrow rings true. She also has the potions to finish.

To Sslethax she says, I am interested in how you block magic, but I do have other work to finish and we have time during the day. I will cast a spell to alert us if anything gets too close tonight so we can sleep at ease.

When Carassion asks for magical help, she looks up at him. Her eyes squint at the amulet and she says dryly, I'm not sure. It looks terribly dull.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-11, 04:42 PM
The amulet appears to be... absolutely unmagical! At least, as far as you can work out.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-12, 06:20 AM
As the group prepares for sleep, Sslethax quietly makes a small circle on the ground with salt. Then lighting a group of black candles he starts quietly chanting. The salt crystals begin to glow a soft red and faint whisps of smoke curls up from the center of the circle. Finally a ugly red head appears in the smoke, "Oh, you again. You just get uglier every time I see you. What to you want this time?"

"Demonspawn--I command you to watch this campsite until sunrise and wake me if anything approaches."

Let's see if summoning my imp works

[roll0]

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-12, 03:35 PM
16th of Summer's End, 4e1187

And so, the night passes by uneventfully. As the sun rises, the wind begins to pick up, however... The merchant seems to have left already by the time anyone wakes up, but on a rock by the fire pit are two gold coins (about $160).

As the camp is packed up, you swear you can hear giggling on the breeze. It is the day of the full moon... the weather sometimes takes on a magical quality around this time of the month.

Carassion, Sslethax and Moonriver
The local mana level has increased to High, due to the influence of the moon. This doesn't provide a bonus, but it does allow the ungifted to use magic, if they know how.

galenbd
2012-08-13, 09:01 PM
Angharad wakes up as the birds sing right at dawn and rolls over toward the fire. Still drowsy, it takes her a moment to realize that the tent is gone. She sits up to lean on her elbow and looks around. Missing the donkey as well.

She dismisses the spell so she can move around the camp without waking everyone else up. She rises and wanders about checking out the tent site and where the donkey had been tethered. In her passage, she discovers the gold coins, but leaves them there.

Once her inventory of the camp has been taken, she sits down to think on who Ahmad Xerxeszen might have really been.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-14, 05:16 AM
Waking slightly later, Sslethax emerges from his tent to find the strange merchant gone. "Interessting, it appearss that there may be ssome outssside forcesss that want usss to sssucceed."

galenbd
2012-08-15, 12:10 PM
Sitting and thinking, Angharad lifts her head from her hand and looks at Sslethax. "Helping us. Maybe. I wonder why they would bother. It makes me wonder what the Dinomen are doing that is so objectionable to faeries. Perhaps I can ask the dryad."

Her revelry broken, she stokes up the fire a little and heats up the leftover rabbit stew for breakfast.

Jann
2012-08-16, 06:38 AM
The discussion manages to wake Moonriver, as she sits up, eagerly grabbing a chunk of bunny the size of her head, and digging in starvingly. "Faerie, huh...?" she says, considering. She knows mostly about spirits, elementals, and gods, but she thinks she's heard of these kinds of beings in stories she's read of Djinn...

[roll0] Hidden Lore(Spirits)-2

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-24, 06:42 AM
The sky is clear, and there are few clouds as you pack up your camp. The wind continues to blow, however, and you swear you can hear giggling voices now and again... Your bodies almost feel bouyed, moving through the air much easier than normal as you go about packing up the tent and making sure the fire is out.

Back on the road again, and you're making rather swift progress, as the wind seems to make you lighter on your feet. At one point, Sslethax stumbles on a rock... but the wind itself seems to support him just long enough for him to put his other foot down and avoid a nasty fall.

At around midday, the road forks, one fork leading further along the coast as it curves around eastward, the other continuing north and further inland. You take the northern road, and soon, in the distance, you can see the large trees of the Forest of Delkir... you may be able to reach it by nightfall at this rate.

Moonriver
You too have heard stories about Djinni. They're known for responding to hospitality with kindness of their own, and responding to a lack of it with wrath. But they don't often travel with much in the way of personal belongings...

galenbd
2012-08-26, 07:01 AM
Angharad continues happily along the road. She has a couple of poultices which makes her feel much better. Since she wants to keep the acorns until she see the dryad, she just gathers a few more of the herbs she would need to make more.

As she goes along, she notices she's moving a bit easier today. Curious, during one of her side trips off the road, she checks to see if there is some dweomer cast upon her.

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-26, 08:48 AM
Angharad
There's no mistaking it - this is Lunar Weather, formed due to the increase of magic during the full moon. This particular phenomenon is probably a 'Sylph Gale' - a helpful wind that aids travelers.

Scholars are generally split on the subject of whether the faint giggling sounds hint at sapience or not. Practitioners of the arcane arts claim that the sounds are merely tricks of the mind brought about by the increased magic of the moon, while followers of Albion claim that the giggles are from tiny air spirits that enjoy helping travelers.

Interestingly, the priesthood of Tirna decline comment, despite Sylph Gales certainly being within their Mistress' purview.

Morty
2012-08-26, 07:04 PM
As the party marches along the road, they might see a man sitting on a rock near it. He's tall and muscular, clad in mail and half-leaning on a greatsword. His helmet is lying on the ground beside him, so the party can see that is skin is quite dark and his hair is black. He looks up when he spots them, but waits for them to speak up first.

a_humble_lich
2012-08-27, 06:05 AM
"Ho! Who iss thiss? Not many travelerss are to be found on thiss road and banditssess are rarely ssolo."

galenbd
2012-08-27, 11:44 AM
Angharad nods at the lizard man, "Yeah, bandits usually attack from a distance. However, not many will travel with that kind of armor on.

Meanwhile Coli is intently focused in the man, but keeping quiet. It's hard to tell which humans are a threat.

Angharad decides, "Let's go talk to him. She continues to walk toward him intending to stop 20 feet away from him.

Jann
2012-08-29, 03:24 PM
Moonriver eyes the man suspiciously. "I think we must be cautious. He may not be a bandit... But he may be a murderer, who poses as an adventurer, and then slits their throats in their sleep!" She flutters up to the man, a serious look on her face- Which creates an overall comical look on the small fairy- as she asks. "You! Do you join adventuring groups only to slit the throats of the unwary in the night?" she asks. "And no lying!" This seems to be all she needs to ask to feel confidence in the man.

galenbd
2012-08-31, 06:14 AM
Angharad is surprised by the pixie's confrontation. Vaguely amused, but worried, Angharad moves closer until she is just out of range, but close enough to hear him well. Coli keeps close to her side.

Morty
2012-08-31, 06:42 AM
The mail-clad warrior stands up, smiling slightly. It does not look pretty on his scarred face.
"It is not a habit of mine. The reason I am here is that the ruins I intended to explore seem to be occupied by some people I'd rather not meet by myself."

galenbd
2012-08-31, 09:56 PM
Angharad squints her eyes in concentration, "More people going after those ruins. How did you discover the Dino-men were occupying those ruins?"

a_humble_lich
2012-09-01, 05:28 AM
Oh, ssso you are going for the ruinss asss well. If the Dino-men are asss dangerouss as isss ssaid, perhapss we should sstay together?

Morty
2012-09-02, 12:56 PM
"I saw them. Luckily, I managed to get away quickly enough. I'd planned on exploring the ruins, but they're more than I can handle. Of course, if we were to join forces, it would change the situation." Wenomir eyes the group of strangers. "You folk look like you could use a strong sword arm.

galenbd
2012-09-03, 04:06 PM
Angharad raises her eyebrows, "We could I've got some anti-toxin and we're considering ways to counter the new shaman they have, but strength of arms will also be needed. You're welcome to join us. We were just about to enter the Forest of Delkir."

a_humble_lich
2012-09-04, 05:05 AM
"I agree, we could definately use sssome cannon fodd.. I mean musscle."

Morty
2012-09-06, 03:23 PM
"So this trip might not turn out to be a waste of time after all," Wenomir says. "Oh, and my name is Wenomir. I'm a travelling swordsman in search of fortune and glory."

Yuki Akuma
2012-09-09, 04:12 AM
And so, after the introductions, the group continues on its way. At around 4pm, the group steps off the road and continues towards the forest through the plains - there are no roads that go directly there, after all.

Little over an hour after leaving the road, Angharad stops the party... she's spotted a few men hiding under loose foliage, obviously setting an ambush... but her sharp senses have pierced through!

They'll notice the party has stopped any second now...

galenbd
2012-09-09, 04:55 PM
Angharad hisses, "Ambush, left side, under the bushes." Coli perks up at Angharad's tone.

She slows down her pace to about half speed as she looks around to count how many are hidden.

Morty
2012-09-09, 06:40 PM
Wenomir draws his sword in silence, preparing for a fight. He doesn't step forward to protect the party yet, as he's not sure about the situation and position of the enemy.

a_humble_lich
2012-09-10, 04:57 AM
Sslethax slows his pace to match Angharad. Although he can't see any threat, Angharad seems good about such things, so he will follow her lead. He does calmly place his has on his sword just in case.

Yuki Akuma
2012-09-17, 08:39 AM
Look, a battle map!

http://i.imgur.com/cNUgq.png

The light green is grass. The dark green are bushes, which grant cover if you crouch, sit or kneel in or behind them. They don't have a lot of DR though!

Yeah, all that time for just this.

The part goes first. Don't worry about initiative order.

galenbd
2012-09-17, 09:19 AM
Angharad steps forward to the bushes nearby stopping behind a bit of cover, "Let's form up here in case they have bows. If you've got defensive magic, now would be the time to use it."

Coli trundles up with her.

a_humble_lich
2012-09-19, 06:26 AM
Seeing the bandits hiding behind flammable looking bushes, Sslethax advances on the bandits, preparing to rain fiery doom on them.

Sslethax move up to H11

Morty
2012-09-19, 06:41 AM
Wenomir makes a dash for one of the bandits. He won't be able to get to him just yet, but his other options are limited. He just needs to pray that the bandit misses or his armor protects him.

Move to K8

Jann
2012-09-21, 01:01 PM
Moonriver grins as the alarm gets sent up... Before Wenomir can run full-tilt into the bandits, she's fluttering by his cheek, and gives him a rather daring peck there. "Go get them." she says, grinning, as she begins weaving together a spell- And flames erupt in a grand halo around the warrior as he charges forward, promising dire retribution for attacks, as Moonriver flutters back behind Carassion, laughing wildly.

[roll0]