PDA

View Full Version : Share Spells

The Random NPC
2012-07-28, 07:15 PM
You can share spells with your animal companion and familiars, but if they go more than 5 feet from you the spell ends. I keep seeing people post things like flanking with their animal companion after sharing a buff. Is there something else that allows this? Are people just missing the limitation?

QuidEst
2012-07-28, 07:21 PM
Perhaps they're playing Pathfinder? It certainly seems like something minor (and annoying) enough to forget about.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 09:15 PM
I think most people are only doing that with the animal companion, since there's a feat in, IIRC, complete adventurer called companion spell-bond that extends the share-spells range to 30ft.

Alternatively, share spells lets you explicitly cast what would normally be a personal buff on your AC or familiar as a touch spell.

The Random NPC
2012-07-28, 09:25 PM
I think most people are only doing that with the animal companion, since there's a feat in, IIRC, complete adventurer called companion spell-bond that extends the share-spells range to 30ft.

Found it, it's in the Player's Handbook 2

Alternatively, share spells lets you explicitly cast what would normally be a personal buff on your AC or familiar as a touch spell.

I don't know how I missed that, I just read the description.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 09:29 PM
If I had a nickel for everytime I overlooked something like that, I could buy every D&D supplement printed for 3.X. :smalltongue:

whibla
2012-07-29, 11:08 AM
You can share spells with your animal companion and familiars, but if they go more than 5 feet from you the spell ends. I keep seeing people post things like flanking with their animal companion after sharing a buff. Is there something else that allows this? Are people just missing the limitation?

I'd say there's perhaps a lack of clarity as to exactly what "go more than 5 feet from you" means.

I interpret that to mean that, using the combat grid, as long as you can always draw a line from any one corner of one of your squares to any one corner of one of your companion's squares, and that line crosses no more than one square (granted this makes diagonals a bit more 'powerful') then your companion has remained within 5 feet of you.

Since the above is quite possible while a creature with a 5' base is between you there is an option to flank, assuming a (generally) small, medium, or larger, companion.

With a familiar, the situation is easier, because of the size difference between combatants. An oft overlooked rule states that "If a creature occupies part of an opponent’s space, it provides flanking to all allied creatures outside the opponent’s space", and a diminutive familiar (for example) can occupy the same space as a medium opponent.

The ins and outs of who and what can fit into a square are longer than I care to repeat here, but the 'Mixing it Up' section on page 29 of the DMG is well worth (re)reading.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-29, 12:06 PM
There's a feat from somewhere obscure (dragon mag?) called Enspell Familiar. Extends the Share Spells range from 5 ft to 1 mile!