PDA

View Full Version : Help my paladin fell, what should I do? PF

Akisa
2012-07-28, 07:38 PM
Well my character fighting over a canyon with the fly spell before she got dispelled and fell to her death. I was wondering what should I do now that my paladin fell to her death. Should I get the group to sell my gear and chip in for raise dead, or should I make a new character?

Party is level 5 in The sword coast north.
God Wizard (basically buffing, and battlefield control)
TWF ninja
Cleric of Tyr
Bard
And my character a Paladin of Sune.

Kris Strife
2012-07-28, 07:40 PM
Well my character fighting over a canyon with the fly spell before she got dispelled and fell to her death. I was wondering what should I do now that my paladin fell to her death. Should I get the group to sell my gear and chip in for raise dead, or should I make a new character?

TWF ninja
Cleric of Tyr
Bard

I feel as though I was mislead by the thread's title.

Ask your party what they'd prefer.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-28, 07:45 PM
Likewise, but I also feel that I should point out that a successfully dispelled spell acts as though its duration has run out, and fly says you slowly drift to the ground much like feather fall when it expires. I don't think your paladin should be dead. If your DM won't retcon it, just roll a new character, the cost of a res is going to either weaken the entire party, or leave you so vulnerable that another death will be near certain.

HalfGrammarGeek
2012-07-28, 07:47 PM
Make your new character the old character's brother, out for revenge against...the cliff!

But seriously, I say new character.

Starbuck_II
2012-07-28, 07:48 PM

TWF ninja
Cleric of Tyr
Bard

Reincarnate would be cheaper. I think you should get raised.

lianightdemon
2012-07-28, 08:00 PM
Where was "God" with a featherfall?

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-28, 11:20 PM
Well, your character shouldn't be dead, so maybe ask your DM for a free raise (specially avoiding the level loss - it's not your fault he didn't know the rules about fly and dispel). He can even use it as a plot hook - now you guys owe the temple, and the temple needs someone to do X...

Alejandro
2012-07-28, 11:31 PM
You win the trophy for Most Misleading Thread Title. :)

Hylas
2012-07-28, 11:38 PM
You win the trophy for Most Misleading Thread Title. :)

I know, I was ready to start rooting to turn the party evil subtlety and start pointing out the horrible secret truths of the church that has been misleading you all along.

You should have your character ret-conned back to life because of the feather fall incident. Barring that, while a reincarnation would be cooler than a raise, go for a new character.

But I always have new characters that I want to try out, so do what you'll have the most fun with.

grarrrg
2012-07-29, 12:08 AM
QUICK! Cast Hero's Defiance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hero-s-defiance)!

EDIT: Drat...After some thought, I am going to have to explain the joke (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke).

Hero's Defiance says "If this healing brings your hit point total above 0 hit points, you do not fall, and may continue to act."

As an added bonus, this also works as a "deceitful thread title" response :smallsmile:

P.S. To the 2 of you who got the joke withOUT the explanation, thank you...

falloutimperial
2012-07-29, 12:46 AM
I say, two birds with one stone, let this fall make you fall. (:miko:) In other words, get reincarnated, but come back wrong. Your paladin now has a completely new and interesting worldview as well as character development. I'm not saying you should turn evil, but perhaps consider becoming cynical, pragmatic, and otherwise morally grey.

Medic!
2012-07-29, 01:00 AM
I'm all for reincarnation, in games I run it's the only resurrection effect available...who wouldn't want the chance to come back as a bugbear? (Especially the party sorcerer?)

vrigar
2012-07-29, 01:57 AM
Likewise, but I also feel that I should point out that a successfully dispelled spell acts as though its duration has run out, and fly says you slowly drift to the ground much like feather fall when it expires. I don't think your paladin should be dead. If your DM won't retcon it, just roll a new character, the cost of a res is going to either weaken the entire party, or leave you so vulnerable that another death will be near certain.

I hope your DM is of the mistake admitting kind.

Medic!
2012-07-29, 04:57 AM
I hope your DM is of the mistake admitting kind.

100% completely relevant video link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmmUAqE7nQ)

Batou1976
2012-07-29, 05:20 AM
And I was going to say you should do hara-kiri...:smallfrown:

Joking about Hero's Defiance aside, seems like would have kept from dying from the (literal) fall.

How 'bought into' your dead paladin's concept are you? If not very, go new PC or maaaaybe Reincarnate. If you think this PC still had plenty of miles left in her, go for the Raise, and maybe you can get your DM to admit the mistake and make amends for it.

TurtleKing
2012-07-29, 05:23 AM
With a dispelled Fly spell you get 60ft of floating down before you start falling as per normal fall rules. If you were fighting higher than say 150ft then no question your character dies.

Edenbeast
2012-07-29, 08:50 AM
If you really roleplay, then it's not up to you to decide. You're dead after all..
When they decide to raise your paladin, it's their choice. Then at the moment the spell is cast, it is up to your character: is he willing to return to the world of the living. You can chose not to, if it's more in line with your character's philosophy. One my party members did axactly that, once we payed big time to have him revived, only to find out he didn't want to return. We were angry at the time it happened, but in the end it ultimately enhanced our poleplay experience :)
In the mean time have a 2nd character ready at hand just in case.

only1doug
2012-07-29, 09:27 AM
If you really roleplay, then it's not up to you to decide. You're dead after all..
When they decide to raise your paladin, it's their choice. Then at the moment the spell is cast, it is up to your character: is he willing to return to the world of the living. You can chose not to, if it's more in line with your character's philosophy. One my party members did axactly that, once we payed big time to have him revived, only to find out he didn't want to return. We were angry at the time it happened, but in the end it ultimately enhanced our poleplay experience :)
In the mean time have a 2nd character ready at hand just in case.

Avoiding this kind of expense is why my groups all now cast speak with dead before casting rezz spells.

Akisa
2012-07-29, 09:33 AM
With a dispelled Fly spell you get 60ft of floating down before you start falling as per normal fall rules. If you were fighting higher than say 150ft then no question your character dies.

It was over 200 feet in the air, and outside of range of the wizards FF.

Akisa
2012-07-29, 09:39 AM
Isn't reincarnation that spell where you can be turned into a badger?

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-29, 09:43 AM

Only in 3e and earlier - in 3.5 (and I assume PF) it just has a list of humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

Urpriest
2012-07-29, 09:47 AM

In 3.0. In 3.5 it's limited to humanoids.

I would say you're low level, so unless you've got a big story planned it might make more sense to just make a new character. Would you be coming in at level 5, or level 4?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-29, 12:28 PM
It was over 200 feet in the air, and outside of range of the wizards FF.

Oh.... squish then. That'd be an average of 49 damage so yeah, you're dead. Like everyone else is saying, unless you're really invested in the character, just go ahead and roll a new one.

PS, you still got 60ft of slow-fall from the dying fly spell. The wizard's ff was irrelavent in anycase.

Xerinous
2012-07-29, 02:27 PM
Actually, you get 60 ft. of slow descent per round for 1d6 rounds. I'd say you had a 2/3 chance of surviving. See if you can get your DM to roll for it, at least.

If you can't get the whole "dead" thing retconned, I'd recommend making a new character. Raise dead will cost too much, and reincarnate can really mess you up, like if you come back as a Kobold.

Akisa
2012-07-29, 02:41 PM
Actually, you get 60 ft. of slow descent per round for 1d6 rounds. I'd say you had a 2/3 chance of surviving. See if you can get your DM to roll for it, at least.

If you can't get the whole "dead" thing retconned, I'd recommend making a new character. Raise dead will cost too much, and reincarnate can really mess you up, like if you come back as a Kobold.

Well I rolled a 1 on feather fall effect, and I was too far away for FF from wizard. I'll see what happens on Saturday.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-29, 11:16 PM
And that teaches you: always have Hero's Defiance prepared :smallbiggrin:

But don't reroll a character just because you died. That's the kind of gamist thought that should really die in a fire. This is a roleplaying game, man. If the group just shrugs and says "He died, let's move along... oh, a new guy! Come, you're our new best friend"... well, silly doesn't even begin to describe it.

If you're more in the 'playing a game' than 'telling a story' thing, yeah, reroll. Otherwise, stick to your character and think about what death might mean to him.

Medic!
2012-07-29, 11:23 PM
This is a roleplaying game, man. If the group just shrugs and says "He died, let's move along... oh, a new guy! Come, you're our new best friend"... well, silly doesn't even begin to describe it.

DM: You come across a mysterious cloaked man. (OOC: C'mon guys I really want you to roleplay this)

Party: Hello traveler, what brings you to the Castle of Eternal Doom?

Cloaked figure: Hello fellow travelers, I see your party has no mage...

Party: You seem trustworthy, care to travel with us?

God I love "The Gamers"

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-29, 11:24 PM
Idea! If you guys were on an important quest, you could become a risen martyr from BoED. You won't be able to advance any other class, but if you work with your DM maybe you could be raised from the dead later, when it's more affordable, allowing you to resume multiclassing until you get yourself killed again.

Hylas
2012-07-29, 11:28 PM
DM: You come across a mysterious cloaked man. (OOC: C'mon guys I really want you to roleplay this)

Party: Hello traveler, what brings you to the Castle of Eternal Doom?

Cloaked figure: Hello fellow travelers, I see your party has no mage...

Party: You seem trustworthy, care to travel with us?

God I love "The Gamers"
Link to the original. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaIdv79Xz4)

Hyde
2012-07-30, 01:42 AM
Apparently the "over a canyon" went completely over everyone's heads.

Which is really weird, for a canyon to do.

:smalleek:What would you call a canyon in the sky?

this is going to keep me awake.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-30, 01:47 AM

If you figure out a name for them, let me know. I've got floating mountains in my setting and I'd like to know what I should call the gaps in-between them. :smalltongue:

Medic!
2012-07-30, 01:51 AM
Rifts maybe? idk

The Random NPC
2012-07-30, 02:06 AM

They were fighting over a canyon, while flying. I don't see anything odd with that.