PDA

View Full Version : Saving throws while dying

Godrednu
2012-07-28, 09:46 PM
I was just wondering if you get to make any other saving throws while dying other than your death saving throw. I would assume not, but I don't like to assume. If you answer, will you please give a page and book to reference for your answer?

NecroRebel
2012-07-28, 10:36 PM
You get saving throws against each effect a save can end at the end of your turn (PHB1 p. 279). The Dying status does not explicitly change this, so it doesn't change it at all. Being Dying also doesn't prevent you from having a turn (else you'd never have to make the death saves at the end of your turn due to your turn never ending due to never starting in the first place). Therefore, you can make any other saving throw while dying.

ImperiousLeader
2012-07-30, 07:31 PM
This can occasionally lead to some drama as ongoing damage, that the PC is still taking, gets them closer and closer to negative bloodied. It ain't always the death save that'll get ya'.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-08, 12:24 PM
This can occasionally lead to some drama as ongoing damage, that the PC is still taking, gets them closer and closer to negative bloodied. It ain't always the death save that'll get ya'.

This came very close to happening to my group's tank when he was impaled on the back of a cadavar(?) collector from threats of the nentire vale.

Question though; if the character was dazed, save ends, while dying, normally I'd ignore saving for it, because the dying character isn't taking actions period, so wouldn't need to worry about being dazed. But if the character was brought back with a natural 20 on the saving throw, or by help from a leader healing, would the character still be dazed when he comes back up? Or do the conditions end? This kind of thing can make it important to save all such things while dying, no matter how trivial they seem at the time. It can also be important because many save ends effects grant combat advantage, and while monsters don't beat on dying characters, they may be caught in a blast.

Ashdate
2012-08-08, 01:16 PM
This came very close to happening to my group's tank when he was impaled on the back of a cadavar(?) collector from threats of the nentire vale.

Question though; if the character was dazed, save ends, while dying, normally I'd ignore saving for it, because the dying character isn't taking actions period, so wouldn't need to worry about being dazed. But if the character was brought back with a natural 20 on the saving throw, or by help from a leader healing, would the character still be dazed when he comes back up? Or do the conditions end? This kind of thing can make it important to save all such things while dying, no matter how trivial they seem at the time. It can also be important because many save ends effects grant combat advantage, and while monsters don't beat on dying characters, they may be caught in a blast.

If a character with an "save ends" effect -- such as dazed (save ends) -- does not save in between being knocked unconscious and being brought back above 0 hit points, then they wake up dazed (and prone of course).

Note that a "dying" character grants combat advantage anyway (because they're helpless when unconscious), so even if they had negative effects such as "dazed" or blinded" conditions on themselves, they wouldn't stack.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-08, 04:30 PM
If a character with an "save ends" effect -- such as dazed (save ends) -- does not save in between being knocked unconscious and being brought back above 0 hit points, then they wake up dazed (and prone of course).

Note that a "dying" character grants combat advantage anyway (because they're helpless when unconscious), so even if they had negative effects such as "dazed" or blinded" conditions on themselves, they wouldn't stack.

Ah, thank you. Guess you can't just ignore all those pesky status effects once you go down.