PDA

View Full Version : Help with Class Idea: Golemancer

Chromascope3D
2012-07-28, 10:26 PM
Howdy. I've been interested in golems lately, and I thought, "Y'know what'd be cool? A class based around these under appreciated automatons." I started writing up that class, but quickly ran into a writer's block. Then I realized, "Wait, where can I find a bunch of people that know enough about D&D who could possibly help me? Oh right, the forums of that comic I read about D&D!"
This is actually meant for a Pathfinder game, but that shouldn't keep you from at least giving advice/constructive criticism, right? :D

Golemancer

Description: Golems have been used for centuries, but few see their value as more than simple toys or tools. These few are golemancers. Their backgrounds and reasons are as varied as their creations. A wizard may use his creations to defend himself as he searches for ancient secrets, or a cleric may create guardians for
Hit Die: d6
Requirements

To qualify to become a golemancer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Craft 5 ranks, Knowledge (arcana, engineering, or religion) 5 ranks.
Feats: Craft Construct
Special: Ability to cast 2nd level spells.
Class Skills

The Golemancer’s class skills are Appraise, Craft, Diplomacy, Fly, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana, Engineering, History, Nature, Religion), Linguistics, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Table: Golemancer
{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Spells per Day
1st |+0 |+0 |+0 |+1 ||+1 level of existing class
2nd |+1 |+1 |+1 |+1 |Sigil|+1 level of existing class
3rd |+1 |+1 |+1 |+2 ||+1 level of existing class
4th |+2 |+1 |+1 |+2 |Additional Sigil|+1 level of existing class
5th |+2 |+2 |+2 |+3 ||+1 level of existing class
6th |+3 |+2 |+2 |+3 |Additional Sigil|+1 level of existing class
7th |+3 |+2 |+2 |+4 ||+1 level of existing class
8th |+4 |+3 |+3 |+4 |Additional Sigil|+1 level of existing class
9th |+4 |+3 |+3 |+5 ||+1 level of existing class
10th |+5 |+3 |+3 |+5 |Additional Sigil, Clone|+1 level of existing class
[/table]
Thanks go to Madara for table help.

Class Features (WIP)

All of the following are features of the golemancer prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Golemancers gain no new proficiency with any armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new golemancer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a golemancer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Runic Sigils: Golemancers can inscribe runes into their golems to augment their abilities. At 2nd and every 2 levels thereafter, the golemancer can choose an additional sigil to learn. Sigils last a number of rounds equal to

Sigils (WIP):

Density: The targeted golem’s density increases. The golem’s weight increases by 50%, and the golem takes statistic penalties and bonuses as if it was one size category larger. The golem also gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls for the duration of this effect. This spell lasts for 2d6 minutes x your golemancer level.

Magnetic: The target golem becomes extremely magnetic. All metal objects within 10 feet of the golem become attracted to it and a(?) creature must succeed on a reflex save with a DC equal to 10 plus 2d6 plus the golemancer’s level. In subsequent rounds, the creature must make a strength check equal to 10 plus 2d6 plus the golemancer’s level, increasing by 1 every round. This spell lasts for 2d6 minutes plus your golemancer level. If the attracted object is a weapon, the golem must make a reflex save of 18 or take damage equal to the attracted weapon’s damage minus 3.

Mending: The sigil heals the golem for 1d6 + the Golemancer’s caster ability score + the Golemancer’s level (?) At level 5 this increases to 2d6, and at level 9 this increases to 3d6

Idea: Golemancers can use telekinesis/similar spell to inscribe at a distance?
Classes with familiars automatically add Homunculi to their lists?

Golem: Idea. Golems add the golemancer’s Intelligence or Wisdom bonus to Attack and AC, depending on if arcane caster or divine. If the bonus increases, the golemancer can spend an hour (x2 per size category) to upgrade the golem(s). For every size category down, the prices for materials are divided by two. For every category above, the price doubles. You can create a number of golems equal to... Half or full number of levels?

Clone: At level 10, The golemancer can instill a copy of himself into a golem, as if under the clone spell. Unlike Clone, the golem does not expire at the golemancer’s full age.

Madara
2012-07-28, 10:32 PM
This will help you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677)

I'm just going to point out that usually its better to have more, and exciting abilities at each level. People prefer new things to do, over new bonuses.

Also, you may want to replace "Golem" with construct for all the abilities, so its more flexible.