PDA

View Full Version : The Dungeon

Matticus
2012-07-28, 10:38 PM
You'd all heard the stories. The toughest, scariest monsters in the land sequester themselves underground, hiding their treasure accumulated with magpie-like tendency. Through whatever channels, you'd learned the location of this particular dungeon. Once, long ago, it had been a castle, tall and majestic; but it had fallen into disrepair, and collapsed. But the word is that some levels of the castle had sunk underground, and that the dungeons were still intact, swarming with dragons and undead, giant animals, demons, all manner of monstrous beasts. Nobody could agree on what creatures were within, but the rumours have led you here, the six of you, to the stairway into the ground.

Sunk into the surrounding earth, the stone staircase goes down several metres, and stops at two heavy wooden doors, one jammed slightly ajar.

You prepare yourselves to go inside...

ben-zayb
2012-07-31, 04:40 AM
CLANK! CLANK! CLANK!

Sharp metallic sound resonated across the staircase as the plates of Turian Alehammer's armor strike against each other.
"Whad'r ye waiting fer, lassies? Thos miserable cretins won't be comin' up 'ere fer us, 'ye kno..." he shouts at the back, a slight stench of alcohol seems to fill the air as he speak. His voice, while particularly loud and articulate, is surprisingly gentle and calm.

That should set off the tone. I haven't referenced any particular party relations yet (i.e. why, how, and for how long they're together) but this should be a good start.

Oh, and yeah... I'm brutal with mimic-ing accent (first time with dwarven too), so I'll try not to overdo it.

yougi
2012-07-31, 09:08 AM
Yeah, please keep the accents light. So hard to understand.

"Hey Wacko, want the dwellers of the Nine Hells to come shut you up? At least TRY to be a LITTLE BIT subtle!"

Dagnaris gets close to Turian and slaps him behind the head.

If necessary,
[roll0]

"Now, you guys want me to make sure this door ain't trapped?"

Tantaburs
2012-07-31, 01:14 PM
Kevan

A search for traps shouldn't be needed leave the door to me.

A hand appears in front of Kevan. It moves towards the door turns the handle and pushes it open.

Mage hand attempts to open the door with 5lbs of force

Matticus
2012-08-01, 01:52 AM
The door slides open slowly, with no sign of any traps.

yougi
2012-08-01, 01:07 PM
"Of course! Let's spend all of our spells doing something that can be done without 'em! By the gods, you're trapped here with idiots Dagnaris!"

Done mumbling to himself (for now), Dagnaris goes to the door and throws a quick glance in.

ben-zayb
2012-08-01, 10:00 PM
The slight nudge (or at least what Turian felt to be one) irritated him mildly, but it slightly awakened his senses. It will still take some time for him to be completely sober, though.
"Och, don't be stealin' me helmet lad! I'll shut up alright--although tha' comin' from someone who gets emotionally furious...", he stopped and muffled what would have been an awfully loud laughter.

He continued, "But ye are right, using magic like tha' was a bit daft. 'Twas yer field-o'-expertise, no?"

"Now would ye please lead the way, Lord Trapspring?", he finished with a sarcastic politeness, as he gestured his hands to Dagnaris accordingly.

gunnar11
2012-08-03, 04:33 AM
"Ugh. Turian, would you quit the accent? Especially when you're drunk I can barely understand it, and at this point it is getting very annoying..."
Dyrn kept on walking through the magically opened door, glancing a quick angry look at Kevan. He immediatly composed himself: "This is not my role, not my destiny..."

Tantaburs
2012-08-03, 01:17 PM
Kevan

Calm down gentlemen, I did not expend any of my arcane power. I have artifacts to handle such trival spells

Jarod taps the hand hanging from his neck.

Now shall we get going

Jarod moves his hand over the top of his quarter staff and it begins to glow. With a light source he moves down the stairs and into the dungeon.

Matticus
2012-08-05, 12:51 AM
You walk down through the door, and into a square room, about thirty feet on each side. The walls are stacked with barrels, crates, and sacks, most of which are broken or befouled. There are some straw pallets lined up neatly with blankets, and a couple of scattered chairs, in better shape than the storage units.

Two harpies are present. One is near a door set in the far wall; impaled on a spike coming up through the floor is the corpse of a human, which one harpy had been scratching the eyes out of. The other harpy is much closer, and already taking wing as you enter.

Roll initiative

Here's a crap map!
http://i.imgur.com/kll87.png

Do your initiative, do your actions, I'll put it all together somehow. You can use the letters/numbers on the grid if you want, or not, I've no idea if they're going to help.

ben-zayb
2012-08-05, 04:11 AM
Turian, clearly less intoxicated by now, roars in delight at the sight of the party's first victims.

He then requests assistance from Moradin, mumbling incantations and making strange gestures to channel divine energy onto Moradin's Holy Symbol that he held.

After that, he moved closer to the nearest harpy.

@Matticus: What are the harpies' elevation?

Initiative: [roll0]

Standard Action: If the Gregigor the Bard already Inspired Courageon the party, Turian will cast Spiritual Weapon. Otherwise, he will cast Bless.

Cast Defensively: [roll1]
If Spiritual Weapon is cast: Attack=[roll2]; Damage=[roll3];SR(if any)=[roll4]

Free Action: 5ft-step to E3.

gunnar11
2012-08-05, 04:58 AM
Dyrn sees his first victims and decides to avenge the fallen humans he just saw. He moves towards the closest harpy and lashes out with his greatsword.
"You're one of the few that die of Mithendor, be glad!" he says before striking.

Free Action: 5 ft.-step to E4
Full-round action: Attack the Harpy:
Attack Main: [roll1]
Damage Main: [roll2]
Attack Secundairy: [roll3]
Damage Secunairy: [roll4]
Free action: say:"You're one of the few that die of Mithendor, be glad!"

and now I feel like a robot xD

gunnar11
2012-08-05, 05:00 AM
The first attack is a possible crit, so I'll confirm. What are our rules about it? The standard ones?:

[roll0]

So if this hits, the damage should be 26 instead of 13

Tantaburs
2012-08-05, 01:49 PM

Kevan's hands beging to glow as he mutters an incnatation

Scorching Ray the harpy in the back
To hit: [roll1] against touch AC
Damage:[roll2]

yougi
2012-08-06, 08:47 AM
Move Action: Move to the Harpy in the back. E1-D1-C1-B2-A3.
Standard Action: I'll swing my Flail in HER FACE!
[roll1] for [roll2]
If for some reason I get Sneak Attack: [roll3]
Free Action: Yell out "EAT STEEL BIRD HEAD!" even though harpy heads are the only part of the creature not from a bird. I'm so clever with trash talk.

Matticus
2012-08-08, 11:10 PM
Turian's spell bathes the party in holy magic as he gets in close to the nearest harpy, who screeches in his face as she swings a club at him and rakes him with her talons, weapons meeting only unyielding steel.

Kevan's burst of heat scours the far wall ineffectively. The furthest harpy rises off the ground and begins to wail a frightening, hypnotic cacophony...

Make a will save against a Captivating Song. We're mid-way through round 1, some actions pending resolution depending on saves. Make your second-round action, too, I guess, in case you don't fail.

yougi
2012-08-08, 11:29 PM
Will Save: [roll0]

Round 2: hit the harpy again, and if possible, I'll try to flank her with someone else.
To Hit: [roll1] for [roll2] plus, if applicable, SA: [roll3]

Tantaburs
2012-08-09, 12:35 AM
Will save: [roll0]

Tantaburs
2012-08-09, 12:39 AM
I'm assuming my 25 beats the DC so round 2 actions

Kevan curses to himself as the blast hits the wall.

Clearly more agile then I thought. Something with more accuracy perhaps.

Magic missile at the furthest harpy. [roll0]

ben-zayb
2012-08-09, 03:39 AM
Everyone gets a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls. :smallbiggrin:

After getting his patron's blessing, Turian's retaliation will come swiftly in the form of a downward hack against his aggressor. "EAT MY BLADE!"
Standard Action: Attack the Harpy near him.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit (if ever): [roll3]

gunnar11
2012-08-09, 06:55 AM

Dyrn clutched at his ears, semi-collapsing to the floor. He tried to resist the sound, grabbing his sword once more, ready to strike at the flying beasts. After the not-so-drunken cleric cast a spell he felt his accuracy increase, but with the deafening sound of the harpies still echoing around him, he wasn't sure if he could make his move. He stood up and readied to slash at the nearest harpy.

Including the +1 Bless bonus:
Attack, Main: [roll1]
Damage, Main: [roll2]
Attack, Second: [roll3]
Damage, Second: [roll4]
Now to hope I make my save

But the sound was too perturbating. He couldn't focus his senses, and thus hadn't the strength to bring up the weapon. Dyrn looked at Turian, hoping the cleric could remove this paralysis. Slowly his body began to move on his own. He had to move towards the chanting harpy. He began moving closer to the the harpy on the back. Dyrn was now completely defenseless against the birds...

Two things: As some of you may have noted, I use storytelling in my posts. This doesn't mean (I hope *looks at DM*) that the game mechanics change. I am not really defenseless, I still have an AC. I just use this to spicen up the game, I love narrating.

Second: I looked the captivating song up (Is this allowed? Just say so for future reference, DM) and used it to affect my second round.
Also: Do you roll harpy attacks secretly?

Matticus
2012-08-10, 02:21 AM
Dagnaris skirts around the first harpy and smashes his flail into the midriff of the singing one, as Dyrn approaches calmly and stands in front of her.

Turian hacks at his foe with his axe, scoring a powerful hit, while she continues to shriek and flail ineffectively at him with everything she can.

Kevan fires off a blast of magic at the furthest harpy, who ceases her song and clubs Dyrn several times, raking him with her talons all the while. He doesn't react, simply stands there and takes it, but the damage she inflicts is minimal.

Dagnaris meanwhile swings his flail again, catching the second harpy in the neck. She goes plummeting out of the air, making an odd gurgling sound, crashes into a pile against the wall, and lies still. Dyrn blinks, and comes back to his senses.

Dyrn takes a whopping 2 damage. The captivating effect is still going, I'd assume, but it ends before Dyrn's next action so it doesn't make a difference.

The map now:
http://i.imgur.com/bSoUS.png

It's entirely possible that before this game is through I'll get these maps looking alright. And I'll win the lottery, and marry a supermodel.

gunnar11
2012-08-10, 05:23 AM
Dyrn got mad, real mad. Even though he isn't a barbarian, he just entered something similar to a rage. He charged the only harpy standing, and while that one didn't yet sing, she wouldn't get the chance either.
He crossed the 10ft gap in no-time and slashed the harpy in the back.

charging to C3 (do I need to make a 5ft step to A5 first?)

Attack, Charge:
Damage, Charge:

Edit:ARE YOU FRIKKIN KIDDING ME!?
Edit nr. 2: Forgot the +2 for flanking, so it's actually 16...

Eventual Crit: 1d20+13

Hoping this would be enough to finish it off.

yougi
2012-08-10, 09:59 PM
Dagnaris will take his time to finish off the harpy lying in front of him, while cursing under his beard:

"You weak harpy, blocking our way, making us waste our time, making us waste energy, and not even putting up a fight. You twice weak harpy. You should be queen of weak-itude."

In game terms, coup de grace:
[roll0]
Automatic crit (x2), Fort DC = 10+dmg to survive

ben-zayb
2012-08-13, 04:34 AM
Turian continued his assault on the remaining harpy, swinging 'Boris' in a horizontal hack. Judging from the improved coherence of his words, it is apparent that the spirit of alcohol finally left him, at least for now.

"FOR MORADIN!"
Standard Action:
Attack([roll0]); Damage([roll1]); Crit Confirmation, if ever ([roll2])

Matticus
2012-08-16, 02:44 AM
Dagnaris carefully caves in the skull of the prone harpy in the corner. The last one goes out fighting as Turian batters away at it, but it was always hopelessly outmatched. Kevan blasts it with another magic missile and Dyrn charges in, hacking it down from behind.

The dust settles. You could have sworn there was a bard with you when you went in, but it seems he ran like a coward when the fighting started. The far door and the exit are the only options available; to go further in, or leave.

Gunna have to draft in some replacements. Turian takes 1 damage from the harpy before it's mercilessly slaughtered.

yougi
2012-08-16, 12:42 PM
2 CILs (2 corpses, I loot)

TiaC
2012-08-16, 04:06 PM
Coprophages!:smallfurious: You left me with the bill at the inn! What do ye think you're playin' at? Pookums, Heel!

A hairy, unkempt dwarf clad in leather comes into the room, leaning on a shortspear to catch his breath. His last sentence is spoken to the wolf, taller than anyone in the room at its shoulder, that has followed him and is sniffing the dead harpies.

Naleh
2012-08-17, 07:14 AM
"Now now, there's hardly any call for that sort of language, is there?" A handsome middle-aged human enters shortly behind the enormous wolf. He is wearing a long brown leather coat with matching gloves and steel bracers. A crossbow hangs from his belt, but he seems otherwise unarmed. The small furry head of a bat peeks out from a pocket beneath his light, fashionable cloak. "I'm sure our friends made an innocent mistake." He smiles easily.

TiaC
2012-08-17, 07:21 AM
I think you forget how much these three drink. *Mumble*not that we're much better*mumble*
However, Ragnar looks much calmer now.

ben-zayb
2012-08-17, 06:45 PM
"Hey, watch yer mouth! I drink in honor of Moradin, it's a ritual of sorts! It's not my fault that you two missed all the fun."

Turian then starts looking around for any possible treasure. Yes, he'll even look at the dead human.

gunnar11
2012-08-18, 09:17 AM
"I was told the bill was already paid, and that you would follow us into the cave after you woke up. We even left you a note!" Dyrn lied. He didn't want to have such a meaningless conversation right now, he wanted to advance.

"Now that we're complete, our pets included- he said, looking at the wolf and the bat -we can proceed, yes? Oh, and by the way, the bard ran away, just when I was hypnotized by the song of the harpy" he added, looking a bit sour now.
To set the example Dyrn began walking towards the other side of the cave to proceed to the next chamber. He began to wonder who could've been crazy enough to store harpies in a cave.

Dyrn LOVES them animals!

Matticus
2012-08-19, 11:41 PM
The door to the next room, a fine-looking wooden thing, is locked.

Examination of the bodies of the two harpies and the unfortunate adventurer who got here before you yield some pretty gemstones the harpies were hoarding like magpies, and a pouch containing thousands of silver coins.

5,678 silver coins, not that you could possibly, under any circumstances count them out and some gems; a pink moonstone and a lovely deep purple...thing.

TiaC
2012-08-20, 08:08 AM
Well, are we going to check for traps and pick the lock or just smash it? I vote for smashing it.

If no one objects, I'll order Princess to attack the door and make an aid another roll on the break DC.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Naleh
2012-08-20, 02:43 PM
Gehn shakes his head at the coin pouch. "Magpies, really, aren't they? I just don't know what we're meant to do with all this.

"Smash away," he says with a casual wave at the dwarf. Or... one of the dwarves, anyway.

gunnar11
2012-08-20, 05:51 PM
Dyrn shakes all the coins out of their pouch(es) and grabs some in the process. He decides (if no one else objects) to take the purple... thing, and then turns to the others: "smash the door? Why so aggressive? Bit, sure. I'll take some of these coins, and help out." and so he did.

[roll0]
In case someone has a higher mod I aid, but I think not, so this will be my check

ben-zayb
2012-08-21, 08:25 PM
"Alright, I'll help by taking care of all these remaining coins fer ye", Turian said as he hauls the shinies in his bag while the rest tries breaking the door.