PDA

View Full Version : Map Creation

ScubaGoomba
2012-07-28, 11:31 PM
Hey guys!

I've been building a setting that was initially for a Final Fantasy V-inspired d20 Modern campaign but is evolving into something I'd like to spin into a larger project. Before going forward with anything, I want to have the setting very firmly fleshed out, which means developing my second realm, aptly dubbed The Beyond; as the great historian Reagan Smithson said: "from a race that calls the vast eternity of the cosmos 'space,' this might actually be a step up."

I'm working through developing the Beyond from the start to present, as the way I work its creation will help develop my ideas on how its native people developed, which will then determine how they relate to one another and, eventually, Earth. What I need right now is some kind of software that could aid in designing a map for the Beyond. I have an idea of how I want it put together, but would like a way to digitize it so I don't have to make sure I've always got my sheet of paper on hand. What are some programs you all have used and found to work out well? I'm operating on a Mac, so only software that's accessible to that, please!

Thanks so much!

Sodalite
2012-07-28, 11:40 PM
I'm not currently running mac, and I've generally done map work by hand, but some cursory googling has lead me to Ortelius (http://www.mapdiva.com/ortelius/). Only the trial is free, unfortunately, but I hope it might help, if only to start.

Edit: Also, your setting idea interests me, so I encourage you to not stop working on it, even if you don't find a software that works for you.

Chromascope3D
2012-07-28, 11:52 PM
Are you looking for a specific mapping program, or just something to draw with that isn't MSPaint?

I drew this with Inkscape (which is free). It isn't as detailed as it could be, but I was also kinda in a hurry.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w394/Chromascope3d/map.png

ScubaGoomba
2012-07-28, 11:54 PM
Oh certainly not! I've actually been fleshing it out on another board that I frequent, but I thought that you guys would be quicker and have some good suggestions for map tools that I could use. If I can't find something that works out for me, then I'll just sketch it out by hand.

The major conceit to the setting is that the Beyond, which existed before Earth, was fueled by a huge crystal. After a war broke out between a group of rogue Dragons against the currently ruling Dragons, the crystal was divided into four parts. Split into four parts, it would be much more difficult to seize, thus making it more difficult to take control over the Beyond. The remaining Dragons then used the magic that had leaked from the Crystal to create Earth as a new land, leaving the Beyond to the Humans.

Drawing out a map is going to help me visualize the continent and create some more naturally progressing dynamics to the land. Each crystal, consistent with Final Fantasy V, is based on a classical element (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element) (although I'm renaming "Earth" to "Terra" to avoid confusion when talking about the Crystal and the planet) and shapes the land around it to match its elemental climate (hot/cold and wet/dry on the Wiki).

I'm avoiding using races beyond Human since, when fleshing them out, I realized they were only in there to be in there, but the regions and kingdoms are going to play a big part in how they develop around one another. While they're not going to have developed knowing that the Crystals shaped their land, the fact that the region near the Fire Crystal is an arid, hot desert will likely cause its indigenous people to act very differently than those is the cold, wet Water Crystal's territory.

And thanks for the link! I'll definitely check out Ortelius!

EDIT: And that image is basically all I need! I want something that I can visualize, but it doesn't need to be gorgeous. If this setting gets played out, it won't be until next summer and is going to probably not even hit the Beyond until level 8 - 10. If I turn it into a work of fiction, then having a pretty map won't really be that important!

Sodalite
2012-07-29, 12:07 AM
Neat. If I might suggest, I imagine the area influenced by the Air crystal is a tropical rainforest, with soaring canopies and the occasional, intense storm that rolls in from where it borders the area influenced by the Water crystal. Don't feel obligated to take that, of course, since I've not read what you've already written elsewhere.

ScubaGoomba
2012-07-29, 12:14 AM
I was actually thinking of making Air be in line with mountains and the like, but I could see those going to Terra and having them get somewhat volcanic as the region heats up. Of course, this is also going to be eventually cut down by civilization, but an idea of what civilization had to work around will help greatly.

SamBurke
2012-07-29, 12:18 AM
Hello, Mac user! Here's how I personally do it: take me Sketchbook Express (Mac *APP* store, the one for your computer), download.

It looks pretty nice, and can do a lot of things. For the basic version, it makes some fairly cool-looking maps, quick, easy, and absolutely Free.

From there, to step up your game, I'd recommend going into Photoshop, and grabbing some internet YouTube tutorials. That'll get ya what ya need.

Melayl
2012-07-31, 10:37 AM
If you want map help, I'd suggest the folks at the Cartographer's Guild (http://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php). Maps is what they do, and they do them very well. All sorts of tutorials and free advice.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-31, 12:11 PM
If you are looking for an artist, you can request someone in the artwork side of forums. I'd be willing to work with you if you'd like to message me. I'm a cartographer myself!

ScubaGoomba
2012-07-31, 12:42 PM
That would DEFINTELY be awesome, but first I need to come up with the geography. Some kind of a super-continent with geological structures that make sense naturally despite being formed magically. As cool as it would be to just throw things all over the place, I'd like for it to be something that makes sense. No volcanoes in a desert, for example, even though that would be really cool.

Jallorn
2012-07-31, 01:08 PM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map

That's mostly what I follow to make my maps. Also, some good tips: islands can sometimes indicate a mountain chain (especially if they stem off of land), and water flows downhill generally, so knowing where your rivers are tells you what parts of your land are the lowest.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-31, 01:33 PM
That would DEFINTELY be awesome, but first I need to come up with the geography. Some kind of a super-continent with geological structures that make sense naturally despite being formed magically. As cool as it would be to just throw things all over the place, I'd like for it to be something that makes sense. No volcanoes in a desert, for example, even though that would be really cool.

I'm available to help with that, as i'm experienced in world creation.