PDA

View Full Version : Magic Insight DFA invocation opinion

Invader
2012-07-28, 11:45 PM
I was looking at the DFA handbook and it suggests getting magic insight for basically a free identify because not having the material component is so good. My question is, in a campaign where the DM isn't really going to make the casters pay the material cost so is it really as wort it as the guide makes it sound or would you go with one of the other invocations?

kharmakazy
2012-07-29, 02:01 AM
at will identify is pretty useful with or without matierial components. The other aspects of the invocation are pretty useful as well.

Invader
2012-07-29, 02:09 AM
I'm tentatively going with beguiling influence instead. I'll have a +14 to bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate at 3rd level which isn't bad plus seeing as how we're 3rd level and havent really got any treasure not to mention magic items yet, I'm starting to think it'll be a low magic game lol.

Igneel
2012-07-29, 02:19 AM
Only other reason I would largely suggest it is that Identify cast by a normal caster takes 1 hour/item, but using the invocation then dismissing it (to activate the Identify effect) takes a maximum of 2 standard actions/item.

But then, like the Warlock, the DfA is largely a 'personal' opinion sort of thing when it comes to invocations. Beguiling Influence is definitely a more note worthy invocation at both the early and later part of the game and pays off here and now. I still highly recommend getting it as you'll possibly start stumbling upon magic items hopefully by lvl 5+. =)

VGLordR2
2012-07-29, 02:21 AM
Magic Insight is very DM dependent. For example, I had a DM once who would drop tons of magic items. Of course, he loved to throw in all sorts of cursed items (Honestly, I don't know why a band of goblins was carrying three girdles of masculinity/femininity. I also don't want to find out). In a campaign like that, Magic Insight would be essential. However, if your DM dislikes dropping magic items, the invocation becomes nearly useless. It all comes down to what you think your DM will put in the campaign.

Invader
2012-07-29, 02:22 AM
Only other reason I would largely suggest it is that Identify cast by a normal caster takes 1 hour/item, but using the invocation then dismissing it (to activate the Identify effect) takes a maximum of 2 standard actions/item.

But then, like the Warlock, the DfA is largely a 'personal' opinion sort of thing when it comes to invocations. Beguiling Influence is definitely a more note worthy invocation at both the early and later part of the game and pays off here and now. I still highly recommend getting it as you'll possibly start stumbling upon magic items hopefully by lvl 5+. =)

The casting time would seem to be the most beneficial thing to me as well but I'm thinking this DM will overlook stuff like casting time for OoC spells like identify, if he didn't it would def be more handy.

Igneel
2012-07-29, 02:48 AM
The casting time would seem to be the most beneficial thing to me as well but I'm thinking this DM will overlook stuff like casting time for OoC spells like identify, if he didn't it would def be more handy.

Keep that in mind for the future, as the Baleful Geas invocation has a arguably longer casting time then a normal invocation (as it replicates Geas/Quest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm), a 10 min casting spell, plus some). :smallwink:
(hint: I have yet to have a Dm rule any of my 10+ DfA's be able to cast that invocation as a Standard Action, its that broken.)

But as said, its a matter of opinion especially since your not getting too many magical items. An option for later is to possibly use a feat slot for an Extra Invocation feat to snag it later and yet keep what you already have/rearranged by then.

Personally whenever I play a DfA, its typically as a greedy son-of-a-dragon that also typically doubles as a sneak using Invisibility and Humanoid Shape to become something that can sneak better then his normal form, always looking for magic loot that meet his fancy.

*rumaging through items looted*
Me- "Hmm... What's this wand do?"
*Identify as Cure Light Wounds*
Me- "Pssh! Cleric can have it!" *toss* "How about this belt?"
*Identify as dreaded gender-switch cursed item*
Me: >.> ... <.< "Oh Paladin... I have a nice belt for you..." /trollface

Going around being able to detect possibly magic traps or at least which enemies might have some magical loot has been useful in my own experience.

Invader
2012-07-29, 08:46 AM
Keep that in mind for the future, as the Baleful Geas invocation has a arguably longer casting time then a normal invocation (as it replicates Geas/Quest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm), a 10 min casting spell, plus some). :smallwink:
(hint: I have yet to have a Dm rule any of my 10+ DfA's be able to cast that invocation as a Standard Action, its that broken.)

But as said, its a matter of opinion especially since your not getting too many magical items. An option for later is to possibly use a feat slot for an Extra Invocation feat to snag it later and yet keep what you already have/rearranged by then.

Personally whenever I play a DfA, its typically as a greedy son-of-a-dragon that also typically doubles as a sneak using Invisibility and Humanoid Shape to become something that can sneak better then his normal form, always looking for magic loot that meet his fancy.

*rumaging through items looted*
Me- "Hmm... What's this wand do?"
*Identify as Cure Light Wounds*
Me- "Pssh! Cleric can have it!" *toss* "How about this belt?"
*Identify as dreaded gender-switch cursed item*
Me: >.> ... <.< "Oh Paladin... I have a nice belt for you..." /trollface

Going around being able to detect possibly magic traps or at least which enemies might have some magical loot has been useful in my own experience.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the look on his face when I bust out baleful geas later on someone and ruin his day lol.