PDA

View Full Version : [4e] RB OOC Thread 2 (all welcome to post)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Surrealistik
2013-05-15, 09:48 AM
Lol, too late; mental image permanently seared into mind's eye. :smalltongue:

Teddy
2013-05-16, 04:47 PM
Right, I've been pushing this ahead of me for long enough already, and I finally have enough time to lean back for a few minutes. Level up details:

My two new ability points go into Wisdom and Intelligence. Also, LaLa, I know this is outside of the rules, but would you let me swap one point of Constitution for Wisdom (this would put his unmodified starting array at 8, 13, 10, 16, 16, 11, rather than 8, 14, 10, 16, 15, 11)? The odd number has been bugging me for quite long now, so I thought I'd better ask.

If yes, I'll also have him retrain Insightful Preservation for Improved Defenses. The former has kind of played out its role, as I mainly use Preserver's Rebuke offensively, which often leads to a rather subpar utilisation of the somewhat paltry sum of negative hitpoints, and I'll need a way of counteracting the decreased Fort defense...

LaZodiac
2013-05-16, 09:49 PM
I'm perfectly okay with that.

Cobra_Ikari
2013-05-22, 01:34 AM
Oh. Look. It's me! >.>

*feels super awkward posting for the first time* :smalleek:

Surrealistik
2013-05-22, 01:47 AM
Hey, some new blood to judge and scrutinize; I certainly look forward to doing plenty of both!

But seriously, I'm def interested in seeing how you settle in with this uh... motley crew.

Blue Ghost
2013-05-22, 09:30 AM
Hey, some new blood to judge and scrutinize; I certainly look forward to doing plenty of both!

But seriously, I'm def interested in seeing how you settle in with this uh... motley crew.

Don't judge and scrutinize Cobra-san too hard now!
Or me, for that matter.

Cobra_Ikari
2013-05-23, 01:57 AM
Riiiight...I'll just take this opportunity to mention that I've never really played D&D before (every time I've tried, I've been otherwise detained or the group has disbanded remarkably quickly), so this is all very new to me and hopefully, I won't make too many mistakes. :smalltongue:

Teddy
2013-05-23, 05:21 AM
Riiiight...I'll just take this opportunity to mention that I've never really played D&D before (every time I've tried, I've been otherwise detained or the group has disbanded remarkably quickly), so this is all very new to me and hopefully, I won't make too many mistakes. :smalltongue:

Well, the same was true for Moonie and to some extent me as well (but I'd spent years reading sourcebooks and fantasising), so I doubt you can do much worse.

And LaLa, I think it's time to ritually add our new character here to the first post. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2013-05-23, 08:17 AM
I can't because I don't have his art yet because someone hasn't told his artist friend what Khan looks like, Cobra. :smalltongue:

There IS a version made by Pinkhair, but I want to use the art for their miniature to be the art put up in the first post.

Cobra_Ikari
2013-05-23, 11:51 AM
I can't because I don't have his art yet because someone hasn't told his artist friend what Khan looks like, Cobra. :smalltongue:

There IS a version made by Pinkhair, but I want to use the art for their miniature to be the art put up in the first post.

He'll be here in 5 hours, I'll let you corner him and force him to be your little art-slave then. :smallamused:

LaZodiac
2013-05-23, 12:00 PM
Got work today, so you'll have to do that for me :smallamused:

Blue Ghost
2013-05-23, 12:30 PM

This is actually my first fully running campaign as well. So don't worry about it. :smallsmile:

Teddy
2013-05-25, 06:47 PM
Question: how did Adalhard communicate with the pseudodragon?

LaZodiac
2013-05-25, 06:49 PM
Moony isn't here and there's a good chance this will be buried under posts by the time she returns, so I guess I can tell you guys. I'll put it in spoilers just incase someone doesn't want to be spoiled, though.

Spoilers: The pseudodragon used to be the familiar of wizard who taught it how to magically speak common, among other things.. He and Adalhard where whispering.

AsteriskAmp
2013-05-25, 06:54 PM
Right, I've been pushing this ahead of me for long enough already, and I finally have enough time to lean back for a few minutes. Level up details:
You forgot to increase your level by one on the sheet for the half level calculations.

LaZodiac
2013-05-25, 07:08 PM
Also your HP is 51. Sorry for not noticing :smallredface:

Teddy
2013-05-25, 07:24 PM
Ah, yes, my computer (or just Firefox) went down sometime after level up but before I'd managed to save my sheet, and I forgot to update all fields a second time.

LaZodiac
2013-05-25, 07:28 PM
Ah, yes, my computer (or just Firefox) went down sometime after level up but before I'd managed to save my sheet, and I forgot to update all fields a second time.

Aaah, okay.

Teddy
2013-05-27, 09:50 AM
I assume there's some non-spoken houserule in place that you can transcribe rituals across ritual books for free, yes?

LaZodiac
2013-05-27, 09:53 AM
It doesn't cost money to transcribe rituals across ritual books. All you've gotta do is ask the guy who has them if you can get a copy.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's not even a houserule.

Teddy
2013-05-27, 10:14 AM
It doesn't cost money to transcribe rituals across ritual books. All you've gotta do is ask the guy who has them if you can get a copy.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's not even a houserule.

PHB, p. 298, Creating a Ritual Book, second paragraph:

When you create a ritual book or copy a ritual into an existing book [you must use stuff] with a total cost equal to the ritual's market price.

Also, it takes 8 hours for a Heroic tier ritual.

LaZodiac
2013-05-27, 10:17 AM
Ah, right.

Yha, I'm ignoring that, and will add it to the front post in my list of house rules. As for the time it takes to enscribe them lets say it's cut in half (with an arcana check being used to further decrease the time), . I like the using of rituals, it's really cool, and I want to encourage the use of them.

Surrealistik
2013-05-27, 12:43 PM
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out; definitely something worth addressing for my own set of HR. I'd forgotten how onerous merely transcribing rituals is.

To that effect I've made the following modifications to my HR concerning rituals:

Mastering Rituals:

Rituals require 8 hours to learn.

When learning a ritual, a character makes a skill check against a Hard DC of that ritual's level against one of that ritual's key skills (the character's choice). For every 5 points he exceeds the DC by, the time required to learn the ritual decreases by 20% to a minimum of 1 hour. For every 5 points he fails the DC by, the time required to learn the ritual increases by 20% instead.

Rituals can be learned in half the normal time (to a minimum of 1 hour) if the person learning the ritual benefits from a successful Aid Another attempt on the skill check to master that ritual by another creature who has already learned it. On a failure, the ritual takes twice as long to learn as the student is mislead and confused. Only one creature can use Aid Another in this way.

Rituals half a character's level or less are considered trivial for that character and can be learned in the duration of a short rest without a check (5 minutes).

Transcribing Rituals/Creating Ritual Books:

Rituals require 8 hours to transcribe, including for scrolls.

The time required to transcribe a ritual can be reduced as per the rules for learning them (including rituals that are considered trivial).

LaZodiac
2013-05-27, 12:50 PM
Okay, sweet. I'll just remove the little edit I made, since that is much more worked out and sensible then my own idea :smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2013-05-27, 02:29 PM
Zodi is cutting things really short, it seems. We bought a bunch of magic items, a rare ritual scroll, a number of rituals, and transcribed rituals across books, all in one morning. :smalltongue:

Splitting costs for rituals is a good idea, but it seems we're forgetting what Adalhard spent on the scroll. That, if anything, needs to be split.

AsteriskAmp
2013-05-27, 02:35 PM
Zodi is cutting things really short, it seems. We bought a bunch of magic items, a rare ritual scroll, a number of rituals, and transcribed rituals across books, all in one morning. :smalltongue:

Splitting costs for rituals is a good idea, but it seems we're forgetting what Adalhard spent on the scroll. That, if anything, needs to be split.That actually was split by virtue of the loot not being divided at that point.

LaZodiac
2013-05-27, 02:36 PM
Well recall that you've got 9 days ahead of you, I can just sort of hand wave the transcribing as "stuff that happened during down time". It's not that hard to do :smalltongue:

Teddy
2013-05-27, 03:04 PM
Without the transcribing (well, the Enchant Magic Item ritual is trivial according to Surrealistik's brand new houserules, so that's done in a coffee break), on the other hand, we've suddenly spent a lot of time doing nothing (stable to inn, inn to market, shopping scrolls, market to stables in a whole three hours).

Oh, and Surrealistik, may I suggest that you swap 20% for 1.5 hours? 20% of 8 hours equals 96 minutes, which isn't too different, but a lot more annoying to calculate.

LaZodiac
2013-05-27, 03:13 PM
Without the transcribing (well, the Enchant Magic Item ritual is trivial according to Surealistik's brand new houserules, so that's done in a coffee break), on the other hand, we've suddenly spent a lot of time doing nothing (stable to inn, inn to market, shopping scrolls, market to stables in a whole three hours).

The idea is that the time spent during shopping are you guys actually looking for the scrolls to buy. The markets are pretty big in Watertrodden, after all :smalltongue:

I mean, I presume that's what you're talking about.

Surrealistik
2013-05-27, 04:36 PM
Oh, and Surrealistik, may I suggest that you swap 20% for 1.5 hours? 20% of 8 hours equals 96 minutes, which isn't too different, but a lot more annoying to calculate.

Sure; should be a fixed number anyway per your observations. That's modified copypasta from the cast time reduction rules.

For the sake of simplicity and eliminating decimals which no one likes, I'll change it to +/- 2 hours.

Teddy
2013-05-28, 03:00 AM
Sure; should be a fixed number anyway per your observations. That's modified copypasta from the cast time reduction rules.

For the sake of simplicity and eliminating decimals which no one likes, I'll change it to +/- 2 hours.

I figured, and yeah, the removal of decimals is probably for the best.

Ranger Mattos
2013-05-31, 07:19 PM
Loooooooong overdue.

I put a point into Carric's Strength and Dexterity, and took the Lucky Start feat, which allows me to roll my first attack twice and use either result, provided that I get the highest initiative roll.

Surrealistik
2013-06-06, 10:19 PM
Important update to the 'Essential Houserules':

#4: Improved generic attacks:

Bull Rush - Attack
You hurl yourself at your foe and push it back.
At-Will ✦
Standard Action - Melee touch
Target: One creature. You cannot target enemies with phasing if you don't have phasing.
Attack: Strength +3/6/9 vs. Fortitude; If this attack was made as part of a charge, increase the attack bonus from charging by +2
Hit: You push the target 1 square plus 1 square for every 2 points your attack roll beat the target's defense by. You shift 1 square into the space the target left each time you push the target 1 square in this way. If you cannot, you cannot push the target any further. If you exceed the target's defense by 5+, you can choose to knock the target prone. You cannot push the target more squares in this way than your speed.
Special: You can use this power in place of a melee basic attack during a charge.

Grab - Attack
You reach out and grasp your foe, preventing it from moving.
At-Will ✦
Requirement: You must have a hand free.
Target: One creature. You cannot target enemies with phasing if you don't have phasing.
Attack: Strength +3/6/9 vs. Fortitude. The target gains a +5 bonus to its defense for each size category it is larger than you beyond the first. You automatically hit willing allies and targets that can't take actions.
Hit: You grab the target until the end of your next turn, or until the target gains phasing while you don't have phasing. The target has a +5 bonus on all checks to escape this grab for each size category it is larger than you beyond the first. You can end the grab as a free action.
Sustain Minor: The grab persists per the hit clause.

Grabbed: A grabbed creature is immobilized until the grab ends. The grabbing creature can perform the following actions against a creature it's grabbing:

Drag - Attack
You lurch your foe about.
At-Will ✦
Move Action - Melee touch
Target: One creature you are grabbing. You cannot target enemies with phasing if you don't have phasing.
Attack: Strength +3/6/9 vs. Fortitude. The target gains a +5 bonus to its defense for each size category it is larger than you beyond the first. You automatically hit willing allies and targets that can't take actions.
Hit: You move up to half your speed and pull the target with you. You and the target don't provoke opportunity attacks against each other for moving in this way. If you hit by 5+, or succeed on a Strength check against an Easy DC of the target's level if you automatically hit, you can move your full speed instead.

Pin - Attack
You force your opponent to the ground.
At-Will ✦
Target: One creature you are grabbing. You cannot target enemies with phasing if you don't have phasing.
Hit: You and the target fall prone and neither of you can stand from prone until your grab on the target ends. You don't grant combat advantage to the target for being prone.

Hold On Tight!
Caught in your grasp, the dragon seeks to become airborne in order to shake you loose; you decide to come along for the ride.
At-Will ✦
Free Action - Melee touch
Trigger: A creature you are grabbing that is larger than you attempts to move willingly without teleporting
Target: The triggering creature
Effect: You can waive the immobilized effect of your grab on the target for the triggering movement, if you do, you move with the target (including vertically if it flies). You can take an opportunity attack against the target as normal. Otherwise the target can make an escape attempt if it spent a Standard or Move action to attempt the triggering movement.

A grabbed creature can perform the Escape action:

Escape
You pry free from your opponent's grasp or slip through its fingers.
At-Will ✦
Move Action - Personal
Target: The creature or game element grabbing you
Effect: Make an Athletics check against the target's Fortitude or an Acrobatics check (or the DC provided with the Grab if any) against the target's Reflex. On a success, the target's grab on you ends and you can shift 1 square.

These rules replace Grab's 'move a grabbed target' option, replace the Escape option and redefine the Grabbed condition.

Why? Makes the Grab and Bull Rush options less situational and more interesting to use. Improves verisimilitude by preventing grabs/bull rushes on targets with phasing while you don't have phasing.

LaZodiac
2013-06-06, 11:17 PM
Noted. tenchars

Teddy
2013-06-30, 01:27 PM
Okay, multiclass feat taken at level 8 but held off until now. For my At-Will power, I take Fire Hawk with DM's permission, because the only one of all 4 Beast Form powers which isn't lame was designed for the Swarm Druid, whereas Elden will be more focused around the Predator Druid.

Ranger Mattos
2013-07-05, 11:58 AM
So I'll be leaving for a week tomorrow. Going on my church mission trip to New York City, doing some Hurricane Sandy relief. Until I get back, Zodi gets to control another person in the Elden-following group.

MoonCat
2013-08-11, 04:42 PM
Hey dudes, long time no see. This'll probably one of my last posts, as I've decided to withdraw Bast from the game. PM me if you've got any questions, and sorry about the inconvenience.

Blue Ghost
2013-08-12, 10:52 PM
Hey dudes, long time no see. This'll probably one of my last posts, as I've decided to withdraw Bast from the game. PM me if you've got any questions, and sorry about the inconvenience.

All right then. Goodbye.

AsteriskAmp
2013-08-13, 02:13 PM
Fare thee well and take some fish, it's dangerous out there.

LaZodiac
2013-08-19, 03:09 PM
Well, sorry to disappoint anyone who was reading, but my DND 4E campaign is (basically) no more. Thank you everyone for reading along, and ESPECIALLY thanks to my players for making it so much fun. Love you guys :smallsmile:

Now, if you want more stuff that I'm doing, I'll be putting my new game in my sig shortly! We're playing a new system called Feng Shui, it's pretty dang sweet! Only instead of playing in the base Feng Shui universe we're playing in the Shin Megami Tensei universe! So they're will be tons of demons and intrigue and stuff! Since Feng Shui is the Action Movie RPG, I'm styling the game sort of like an episodic anime! Hope you all enjoy, viewer and player alike.