PDA

View Full Version : Pokethulhu

golentan
2012-07-29, 02:42 AM
So, I picked up Pokethulhu the other day at the urging of my girlfriend and, I'm afraid to say, I like it. Anyone potentially up for a game, swapping Pokenomicon entries, figuring out just how Devolution is supposed to work, or the like?

Also, much like Randy Carter in episode 12 (The Coloring Book out of Space) I'm looking for a good source of Pokethulhu related artwork.

UserClone
2012-08-25, 06:57 PM
I recall looking at the rules once and they seemed incomplete. Is this game not just a joke?

Wyntonian
2012-08-25, 07:02 PM
That's a pretty awesome girlfriend :smalltongue:.

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of the rules myself. I'll get around to it eventually. It sounds like it's more fun than it sounds.

Wait.

Never mind, you know what I mean.

Xefas
2012-08-25, 11:41 PM
I recall looking at the rules once and they seemed incomplete. Is this game not just a joke?
It's a joke game in the same way Kill Puppies For Satan is a joke game. Its rules are a little jank, and its point is not to be played, but you can, and it sort of works.

It's not exactly a masterpiece of mechanism design, but there's no reason it wouldn't be fun to play a session or two, get some laughs out of the premise, and go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

UserClone
2012-08-26, 12:25 AM
Wait, KPFS is a joke? Now you're just trying to confuse me.

Croverus
2012-08-26, 01:18 AM
Oh man, Pokethulhu, I remember when I first got my hands on the rules. Ended up making a small thulhudex with about 50 entries and played with some friends every other week.

golentan
2012-08-26, 02:04 AM
That's a pretty awesome girlfriend :smalltongue:.

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of the rules myself. I'll get around to it eventually. It sounds like it's more fun than it sounds.

Wait.

Never mind, you know what I mean.

Yeah, I am incredibly lucky to have my girlfriend as a friend.

I've been having fun just coming up with wacky 'thulhu and anticipating playing. It seems like it would be best as a comedy game (let the puns fly fast and free), but I haven't had a chance to actually play it.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-08-26, 10:42 AM
I've played it as a one-shot once. Not a serious game at all, and you can auto-succeed checks if you put twelve in a score (and make up for low scores by making them your lucky skill), but still fun.

As an idea of how it ended up going, I captured a Funky Shoggoth (theme song - yes, it was specifically the ten hour version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-KspZegsE)) and we ended up fighting Amish Skeletor as the final boss (the GM's soundtrack was playing up and got stuck on Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" and then the in- and out-of-character boundary started to break down, is the explanation for that). It was wonderfully zany, and the rules work well enough so long as you don't push them (and make sure everyone has a decent Pokethulhu Lore skill).