PDA

View Full Version : Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-29, 06:10 AM
Hello, playgrounders.
If you're from anywhere in Latin America, let's gather up and chat a bit. :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 12:27 PM
You know, I've always wanted to start a thread like this; but for some reason or other I never did. In any case I was curious on how many latinos posted here.

Greetings from México in anycase.:smallsmile:

Rawhide
2012-07-29, 12:34 PM
Due to the amount of these threads that would exist, such threads are limited to continents. Other than the fact that Latin America seems to be missing a small portion of South America (EDIT: and, on closer inspection, some countries in Central America and the Caribbean), I like this division. But, the question remains if our Mexican members would rather be included in this group or, say, North America.

But, perhaps rename it something like Latin America (+ others) in the Playground to show that they are included.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 12:39 PM
I think officially Mexico is part of North America; but I believe we are closer to other latin american countries than our northern neighbors. Having said that which part from South America is missing from the Latin America? I've never heard about something like that.

Rawhide
2012-07-29, 12:43 PM
This is the map from Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Latin_America_(orthographic_projection).svg)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 12:58 PM
To be honest I've never bothered to look for an official mapnor anything like that; I've always assumed that all countries south of Mexico were part of Latin America. But now it think it islogical that some countries like the French Guiana aren't considered part of Latin America.

In any case if changing the thread title to Latin America (+ others) in thr playground means the thread stays open. I say go for it; but it seems ThiagoMartell isn't online at the moment.

Haruki-kun
2012-07-29, 08:34 PM
Well, strictly speaking, Latin America is not a region. It's the Spanish, French and Portuguese-speaking countries in the Americas. Mexico is part of the geographic region that is North America, as are Greenland and the island countries in the Gulf of Mexico, but it's also part of Latin America. So this includes us as well.

Either way, also Mexico from here, though living in the US.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-29, 11:33 PM
To be honest I've never bothered to look for an official mapnor anything like that; I've always assumed that all countries south of Mexico were part of Latin America. But now it think it islogical that some countries like the French Guiana aren't considered part of Latin America.

I can't see why French Guiana wouldn't be a part of Latin America... I mean, French comes from latin, same as Portuguese and Spanish.

Well, strictly speaking, Latin America is not a region. It's the Spanish, French and Portuguese-speaking countries in the Americas. Mexico is part of the geographic region that is North America, as are Greenland and the island countries in the Gulf of Mexico, but it's also part of Latin America. So this includes us as well.

Latin America, to me, always seemed to be "America, minus US and Canada".
I mean, all the other countries have Portuguese, French or Spanish as official language... even when it isn't the case. Looks like in Paraguay most people speak some sort of advanced Tupi.

Haruki-kun, Dusk Eclipse, greetings from Brazil! :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2012-07-29, 11:43 PM
You could always rename it "Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)". :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-30, 03:33 AM
I can't see why French Guiana wouldn't be a part of Latin America... I mean, French comes from latin, same as Portuguese and Spanish.

Latin America, to me, always seemed to be "America, minus US and Canada".
I mean, all the other countries have Portuguese, French or Spanish as official language... even when it isn't the case. Looks like in Paraguay most people speak some sort of advanced Tupi.

Haruki-kun, Dusk Eclipse, greetings from Brazil! :smallbiggrin:

Because I suck at geography and the French Guaina was the first country I recognized in the map Rawhide linked. :smallredface:

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 03:37 AM
Now that I think about it, isn't French Guiana actually a part of France? As in, like Hawaii is a part of the US?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-30, 03:47 AM
According to wikipedia, yes it is an overseas region Of France, so I wasn't that off.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 03:59 AM
Why there are only the three of us in this thread, 100% of Latin America in the Playground is into anime :smallwink:

The Succubus
2012-07-30, 04:00 AM
The adorable Smee is the first thing that leaps into my brain whenever someone mentions Brazil.

Dallas-Dakota
2012-07-30, 09:11 AM
Not to mention that you have Coplantor(not sure if he still goes under that name) from Uruguay!

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 09:15 AM
Let's hope Smee and Coplantor both show up here, then

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-30, 09:38 AM
Why there are only the three of us in this thread, 100% of Latin America in the Playground is into anime :smallwink:

At least in Mexico duringbthe 90's we saw a lot of anime in open TV, so I grew up watching more anime than american cartoons :smallwink: nevermind we have cons pretty much every other month so yeah.

Not to mention that you have Coplantor(not sure if he still goes under that name) from Uruguay!

Inhaven't seen Coplantor in a looong time, so I am nit sure if he is still active on the forums. Smee being s mod I guess will eventually post here I guess.

Ashen Lilies
2012-07-30, 09:49 AM
I think officially Mexico is part of North America; but I believe we are closer to other latin american countries than our northern neighbors. Having said that which part from South America is missing from the Latin America? I've never heard about something like that.

Suriname speaks Dutch (a West Germanic language) as the main language and Guyana speaks English (a frankly who cares language).

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.

Haruki-kun
2012-07-30, 01:03 PM
At least in Mexico duringbthe 90's we saw a lot of anime in open TV, so I grew up watching more anime than american cartoons :smallwink: nevermind we have cons pretty much every other month so yeah.

Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Ranma 1/2, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Pokemon. I don't remember any other anime on TV. ._.

Also, I have contact with Coplantor every once in a while, but I don't see him on the forum. I'm not sure if he's still around.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-31, 09:25 AM

Same here. We have anime events about twice a month in my city.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-01, 06:12 AM
Suriname speaks Dutch (a West Germanic language) as the main language and Guyana speaks English (a frankly who cares language).

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.

Then my hunch that latin america refered to countries which speak a language derived from Latin was mostly right...though fir sime reason I was sure french was't:smallredface:

Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Ranma 1/2, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Pokemon. I don't remember any other anime on TV. ._.

Also, I have contact with Coplantor every once in a while, but I don't see him on the forum. I'm not sure if he's still around.

You are missing a few like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Dr. Slump and Samurai Pizza Cats... maybe there were't that many and my younger self just prefered anime to american cartoons even then.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-01, 12:39 PM
Didn't see Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, OR Dr. Slump. I'd forgotten about Samurai Pizza Cats. I was too young, I suppose.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-01, 12:55 PM
Didn't see Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, OR Dr. Slump. I'd forgotten about Samurai Pizza Cats. I was too young, I suppose.

Saint Seiya was so awesome back in the 90s when I first saw it. Now... well... everyone has noticed the problems in the original and Omega sucks.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-01, 01:08 PM
I haven't seen Omega yet; but a friend of mine, who is the biggest Saint Seiya Fan I know" agrees that it sucks (apparently somethingn to do with the cosmos now being element based) so I am not sure if I should givr it a go or not.

Haruki-kun, I think you missed the ones that aired on Azteca 7 back then (local channel) :smalltongue:.

Still I find a bit curious that apparently there are only 5 latin american posters in the forum.

bluewind95
2012-08-01, 01:17 PM
I'm from Mexico too. I only knew about Haruki being from Mexico before. Nice to see others from the bigger part of America (not just from the one country that thinks it's ALL of America)!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-01, 01:24 PM
Oh nice! I used to had Mexico City as my location; but an avatar change merited a change and I never bothered to correct it then :smalltongue:. Still it might also be cause I dom't frequent Friendly Banter too much.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-01, 02:29 PM
Still I find a bit curious that apparently there are only 5 latin american posters in the forum.

There's a couple others who haven't showed up yet. Crimmy, for example. Fostire, Skippy (who hasn't been active in a while...)

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-01, 02:40 PM
There's a couple others who haven't showed up yet. Crimmy, for example. Fostire, Skippy (who hasn't been active in a while...)

Larkas is brazilian too, so is Jumilk. There was another guy, but I forgot his name. Aes-something.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-01, 02:51 PM
And once again I stand corrected :smallredface:....hmmm this has been what? Third time in this thread alone? I'm beggining to see a trend here :smalltongue:

Aurenthal
2012-08-02, 01:56 AM
Hey! All the way from Costa Rica! :smallsmile:

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-02, 07:34 AM
Hey! All the way from Costa Rica! :smallsmile:

Welcome, Aurenthal! You're the first playgrounder from Costa Rica that I know of. :smallsmile:

Crimmy
2012-08-02, 09:09 AM
Buenos días, Parque de Juegos!

Yeah, in any case, Crimms the Avatarist here, from Central/Southern México. I didn't imagine there would be more than 3 Mexicans in here (save for Skippy, 'Ruki and meself) so it's refreshing to see more. It's also quite good to see there are more Latinamericans and spanish-speaking Playgrounders out there.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-08, 10:31 PM
So, how are your countries doing the olympics?
Brazil is losing everything it should win :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2012-08-09, 04:44 PM
Mexico's about to win a medal, be it Silver or Gold, in Soccer. Already won Silver and Bronze in Archery and two Silvers and one Bronze in Diving.

bluewind95
2012-08-09, 05:07 PM
I hope they get the gold. I mean, come on. Our natives played ball for their gods, we gotta excel in soccer :smalltongue:

Crimmy
2012-08-09, 06:59 PM
Not the same ball, weight, nor piece of body used to propel said ball.

Though if there were a wilderness survival competition... we would still lose, as Africa has the best survival experts.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-09, 09:08 PM
Well, we are known as the Country of Soccer for a reason :smallcool:

Crimmy
2012-08-09, 10:15 PM
Well, we are known as the Country of Soccer for a reason :smallcool:

That's cheating. Just because your babies are born with a soccer ball, and are naturally, genetically imprinted to play with them. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2012-08-09, 10:20 PM
losing everything it should win :smalltongue:

What? Australia is not in the Americas!

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-09, 10:30 PM
That's cheating. Just because your babies are born with a soccer ball, and are naturally, genetically imprinted to play with them. :smallamused:

It's funny how this cultural reference really shows up.
I'm not a very good soccer player (my sport of choice is basketball; I played it in high school). I'm average at best. I can play defense reasonably well and I'm somewhat good with passes, but my ball control is horrendous and my aim at shooting could be better.
Last week I played soccer with a few japanese friends. Dude, I felt like Pelé. :smallamused:

Crimmy
2012-08-10, 12:16 AM
Brazilian dude who played soccer, and was good? Yes.

I don't really follow our own usual stereotype: I dislike soccer. Okay, I do watch the World Cup, but that's because it's on a whole different level than our average mexican soccer matches.

Also: I hope you realized it was all joking. I wouldn't forgive myself if you thought it was serious talk (you know, the soccer thing).

Haruki-kun
2012-08-10, 11:49 AM
I don't really follow our own usual stereotype: I dislike soccer. Okay, I do watch the World Cup, but that's because it's on a whole different level than our average mexican soccer matches.

To be honest, I kinda really, really, REALLY hate soccer. I only watch the World Cup and had the Olympic matches in the background. And even then I only watch Mexico's games.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-10, 12:44 PM

Yeah, World Cup is awesome.

bluewind95
2012-08-10, 02:22 PM
I especially loved the last one when Mexico went against France and the French were all angry and doing the most godawful things ever. That was so great.

... I do have to wonder why Mexico's team is doing so well on the Olympics... but generally does such a.... mediocre job... on the World Cup. They don't even play badly, they just have dreadful aim.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-10, 03:40 PM
I especially loved the last one when Mexico went against France and the French were all angry and doing the most godawful things ever. That was so great.

... I do have to wonder why Mexico's team is doing so well on the Olympics... but generally does such a.... mediocre job... on the World Cup. They don't even play badly, they just have dreadful aim.

Olympics is for younger player. Each team is limited on how many players above 23 they can bring into the competition (I think it's 2 or 3).

Haruki-kun
2012-08-10, 10:22 PM

@^: What he said. Also, I get the feeling that it goes to their heads when they turn pro, which most of the olympic players (that I know of) aren't.

Crimmy
2012-08-10, 11:57 PM
It's all about the ego. Think about Cuauhtémoc, or the Matador. The only ones who have ever mattered were the "Conejo" Pérez, and Oswaldo Sánchez. And those are goalkeepers.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-11, 10:53 AM
Gold Medal in football!!!!! :biggrin: and it was a great match.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-12, 11:20 AM
Man, I still can't believe Brazil has yet to win a gold medal in soccer. 5 world cups... no gold medals.
Great match, tho :smallsmile:

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-14, 12:34 PM
So, what brought you to the playground?
I've been reading OOTS for a long while, basically from when it was released. I only came to the forums (as a lurker) around the time they closed 339 and only registered after that. How about you guys?

Crimmy
2012-08-14, 01:42 PM
I came in after #400 came on. It took me about two weeks to read it all, and then I signed in.
I liked the custom avatars, so I wanted one, then I wanted to make them.

Story of my Avataring.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-14, 10:58 PM
Got linked to the comic by a friend of mine, decided to read it while I was bored on a trip. This was circa 2006, and IIRC the archive ended at 365 at this point.

I joined shortly after the New Year, January 4, 2007. My avataring didn't start until a couple months into 2008.

bluewind95
2012-08-15, 07:59 AM
A former friend of mine linked me to the comic. Said it was pretty awesome. So I read it. Then I lurked the boards. Then I eventually just joined them.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-15, 11:00 PM
I started reading the comic in 2009 because a friend of mine made an OotS reference at the gaming table and everyone but me laughed so I asked and was told about the comic so I started to read it. Then a few weeks later I was looking for info on the Duskblade and found some threads in the forum... and well I lurked for a time before registering,

Aurenthal
2012-08-16, 08:48 PM
Well actually my DM introduced my group to the comics around azure city battle. And I have read the whole collection about 2-3 times and after a few lurks in the forums I decided to join and learn how to actually build a druid (current character, lvl 5 ELF druid)

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-17, 01:45 PM
Well actually my DM introduced my group to the comics around azure city battle. And I have read the whole collection about 2-3 times and after a few lurks in the forums I decided to join and learn how to actually build a druid (current character, lvl 5 ELF druid)

Hey Aurenthal you're new to the thread, right? Where are you from, man? :smallsmile:

Aurenthal
2012-08-17, 08:38 PM
Hey Aurenthal you're new to the thread, right? Where are you from, man? :smallsmile:

Please check the guy that is from Costa Rica... Thank you! :smallcool:

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-17, 09:30 PM
Please check the guy that is from Costa Rica... Thank you! :smallcool:

Man, talk about a gaffe... sorry buddy. :smallredface:

Aurenthal
2012-08-17, 10:17 PM
Man, talk about a gaffe... sorry buddy. :smallredface:

It's nothing :smallbiggrin:

bluewind95
2012-08-18, 03:21 PM
Where are you from, Aurenthal? (:smalltongue:)

Thinking now of Costa Rica, I remembered that a lot of people have totally the wrong idea about what cities are like in Mexico. I've had people ASTOUNDED that I know what a supermarket is, and that people here travel in cars and that we have big buildings and malls and a lot of the products sold in the US. Heck, they were surprised I had INTERNET, and not dial-up and that I don't have to travel to the US to get a computer or laptop.

Somehow people thought it's all just like the "pueblos" they see in Hollywood movies. They thought it's just a bunch of old little houses, with dirt roads and that people travel by donkey or horse. And the internet is all, at best, dial-up...

Has anyone else come across these stereotypes?

Crimmy
2012-08-18, 03:31 PM

Thinking now of Costa Rica, I remembered that a lot of people have totally the wrong idea about what cities are like in Mexico. I've had people ASTOUNDED that I know what a supermarket is, and that people here travel in cars and that we have big buildings and malls and a lot of the products sold in the US. Heck, they were surprised I had INTERNET, and not dial-up and that I don't have to travel to the US to get a computer or laptop.

Somehow people thought it's all just like the "pueblos" they see in Hollywood movies. They thought it's just a bunch of old little houses, with dirt roads and that people travel by donkey or horse. And the internet is all, at best, dial-up...

Luckily, in Cuernavaca, we have so many american tourists... wait, let me rephrase that. We have so many tourists, that it's not frequent for me to see such stereotypes.

Though, admittedly, I've seen a few who wonder why I'm a white-skinned boy with long-ish hair, glasses, and jeans, instead of their original idea that I was a dark-skinned boy with short hair, moustache, a poncho and sombrero, and sleeping under a cactus or something.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-18, 03:58 PM

Yeah, my brother was asked once whether he was being serious about us using cars and buses to get to school, instead of donkeys. <.<

The thing is, Hollywood is awful to other countries. They always make them look so stereotypical, that people start to believe they're true.

Though, admittedly, I've seen a few who wonder why I'm a white-skinned boy with long-ish hair, glasses, and jeans, instead of their original idea that I was a dark-skinned boy with short hair, moustache, a poncho and sombrero, and sleeping under a cactus or something.

Blonde, blue-eyed here. No one ever believes me when I say I'm from Mexico. ._.

Triscuitable
2012-08-18, 04:04 PM
I don't think I was surprised to see fancy resorts in Belize, but I was astounded to learn none of the natives have ever heard of snow. I live in Washington state, so that little fact just blew my mind.

"Who hasn't heard of snow? The people who live in a country with 90 degrees Fahrenheit constant!"

Anyways, Belize did have dirt roads, and one major highway. They get so many hurricanes every year that they just build temporary homes and roads, let the hurricanes make their annual run, and rebuild. It's kind of depressing, but they're so used to it that they don't care. Very rarely will their homes actually be destroyed beyond repair, so at least there's that.

Oh, and they're the friendliest people I've ever met. Five minutes with one, and they're practically a sibling. I'm serious.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-18, 04:19 PM
Oh, and they're the friendliest people I've ever met. Five minutes with one, and they're practically a sibling. I'm serious.
You should come to Brazil, then. We as a people are so friendly people have been researching to figure out why.

Crimmy
2012-08-18, 05:22 PM
Carnivale. That's all.

Morph Bark
2012-08-19, 04:44 AM
Carnivale. That's all.

Carnaval is pretty cool no matter where in the world you are, but there's three places in the world where I want to go to celebrate it, and one of them is Rio de Janeiro.

'mjust sayin'.

Luka
2012-08-19, 09:58 AM
Oh hi!
Greetings from Venezuela! :smallbiggrin:

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-20, 02:49 PM
Carnaval is pretty cool no matter where in the world you are, but there's three places in the world where I want to go to celebrate it, and one of them is Rio de Janeiro.

'mjust sayin'.

If you do come for carnaval eventually, you can stay in my place, if you want, dude. It's not big, but we get visitors all the time and it seems to work.
I've lost count of how many japanese have slept in my couch :smalltongue:

Oh hi!
Greetings from Venezuela! :smallbiggrin:
Welcome, Luka!

DaOldeWolf
2012-08-20, 02:59 PM
Just noticed this topic.

Anyway, saludos desde Mexico....or greetings or whatever. :smallbiggrin:

Crimmy
2012-08-20, 03:12 PM
Hola Luka, DaOldeWolf. Nice to see more faces here.

@Thiago: Japanese for the Carnaval? Nice. I can't think of any kind of festivity here that attracts tourists from such a distance.

Morph Bark
2012-08-21, 07:42 AM
If you do come for carnaval eventually, you can stay in my place, if you want, dude. It's not big, but we get visitors all the time and it seems to work.
I've lost count of how many japanese have slept in my couch :smalltongue:

Oh, you're actually from Rio? Everytime I meet a Brazilian on the internet I presume because of Brazil's size that they're never from there. xD

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-21, 11:47 AM
Oh, you're actually from Rio? Everytime I meet a Brazilian on the internet I presume because of Brazil's size that they're never from there. xD
Yeah, I'm from Rio. :smallcool:

Japanese for the Carnaval? Nice. I can't think of any kind of festivity here that attracts tourists from such a distance.
We do get people from all over the world from carnaval, but I tend to meet many japanese because both me and my fiancee studied Japanese at college for a while. Since the university is very near to my home, plenty japanese people tend to hang around.

And DaOldeWolf... welcome!

DaOldeWolf
2012-08-21, 07:55 PM
Hola DaOldeWolf. Nice to see more faces here.

Thanks. Nice to meet you too.

And DaOldeWolf... welcome!

Its a pleasure meeting you.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-21, 09:16 PM
@crimmy: .... I just spent about 10 minutes wondering if we had a big celebration that brought tourist; but I can't think of anything.

@DaOldeWolf: Welcome to the thread!! It is always nice to see new people.

Crimmy
2012-08-21, 09:52 PM
I mean, we bring all kinds of americans (meaning America the continent) to our beaches. But... one big event that brings people from all over the world? I don't think there's one.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-21, 10:25 PM
@crimmy: .... I just spent about 10 minutes wondering if we had a big celebration that brought tourist; but I can't think of anything.

What about the Dia de Los Muertos (my Spanish sucks, sorry if this is wrong) parade?

Haruki-kun
2012-08-21, 10:39 PM
I mean, we bring all kinds of americans (meaning America the continent) to our beaches. But... one big event that brings people from all over the world? I don't think there's one.

No, I don't think there is one. We need to organize a Convention or something like that...

What about the Dia de Los Muertos (my Spanish sucks, sorry if this is wrong) parade?

They're nice, but I don't think they really attract tourism. Early November isn't the best vacation season.

Crimmy
2012-08-21, 11:10 PM
Nope, Dia de los Muertos does not attract as many people, to be honest. Don't worry about your spanish, I recently worked with a brazillian artist... I think her name is Barbara Tercia, and she had an interesting "My Spanish sucks" spanish.

Also, we definitely need a convention of sorts... What can we do? Beer Run?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-22, 07:25 AM
A beer run convention? Where do I sign up? :smallbiggrin:

DaOldeWolf
2012-08-22, 07:26 AM
DaOldeWolf: Welcome to the thread!! It is always nice to see new people.
Thanks. Its a great meeting you too.

It isnt even celebrated everywhere in Mexico like in Chihuahua, Chihuahua (a place I used to live in while I was younger).

bluewind95
2012-08-22, 08:31 AM
Frankly, for Dia de los Muertos, I only have seen schools really "celebrate" it. I think World of Warcraft makes a bigger deal out of it than we do here. But it's an interesting tradition.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-22, 08:50 AM
Rural communities celebrate it as even more important than Christmas. In cities like ours, however, it's less prevalent, and you only ever see it in elementary schools.

I haven't even had the day off from school since Freshman year of High School.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-22, 11:09 AM
Frankly, for Dia de los Muertos, I only have seen schools really "celebrate" it. I think World of Warcraft makes a bigger deal out of it than we do here. But it's an interesting tradition.

I only know about it from Spider-Man 2099, where they treated it like a big deal.
But then again, maybe it's going to be a big deal in 2099!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-22, 06:00 PM
Well my old highschool does makes a great deal of it, every group must make an "ofrenda" to someone, even of he/she wasn't mexican. It was pretty awesome on 2010 I managed to convince my group to do one for Gary Gixax :smallamused:.

And there is the UNAM megaofrenda... so while not big in the attract buge amounts of tourists it is still kind of big.

And really Haruki? Still up to last year I had the day off for Día de Muertos... Haven't checked out my new school calendar year; but I assuming I ll have them.

Haruki-kun
2012-08-22, 08:37 PM
Well my old highschool does makes a great deal of it, every group must make an "ofrenda" to someone, even of he/she wasn't mexican. It was pretty awesome on 2010 I managed to convince my group to do one for Gary Gixax :smallamused:.

And there is the UNAM megaofrenda... so while not big in the attract buge amounts of tourists it is still kind of big.

And really Haruki? Still up to last year I had the day off for Día de Muertos... Haven't checked out my new school calendar year; but I assuming I ll have them.

Some schools still do it, especially the religious ones. Non-religious schools usually don't give them... but I might be wrong. I haven't had it for a really long time, though.

Of course, I moved to the US last year, so I'll likely never have that day off from school again. I traded it in for Thanksgiving. :smalltongue:

DaOldeWolf
2012-08-22, 09:11 PM
The only thing I care about Dia de Muertos is the candy. Buy enough and you can get kids into the back of your van. I just love the chocolate offered that day.

Still, it just seems to have lost its magic thanks to the power of commercialization. :smallsigh:

Crimmy
2012-08-22, 09:37 PM
Once more, that depends on the zone. Cuernavaca still has a lot of cool things. And don't get me started on Ocotepec. Man, that's one hell of a Dia de Muertos celebration. You get to meet americans of all kinds. People from Phoenix, from Salvador, et cetera.

It's too awesome to describe.

Aurenthal
2012-08-22, 11:18 PM
Well in Costa Rica we have no "big" celebration, but still it's greatly visited because of the beaches and we have no army so... :smallbiggrin: Costa Rica es lo mejor

SMEE
2012-08-23, 11:27 AM
Indeed.

I whence from the southern part of crazy Brazil and have been around here for... quite a bit, but I don't post too much anymore.

The Succubus
2012-08-23, 11:44 AM
O.O

It's Smee! Yay!

Luka
2012-08-23, 12:01 PM
Big celebrations over here?.... well, there's a party always, and around here everybody has music playing all the time somewhere, but big celebrations?...

well, there's mostly religious celebrations about saints and stuff, like "La chinita" in Maracaibo, one of the big cities, on the west of the country; a countrywide one would be Carnival, with LOADS of parades and costumes and stuff, also we celebrate the entire Holy week, and the whole week if free (no schools :smallbiggrin:), we don't have Halloween officially, though there's still decorations around.

I don't really remember all of them right now, but we have many celebrations :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-02, 09:27 PM
For Mexican Playgrounders, are you planning something for the 15/16 of the month?

Crimmy
2012-09-02, 10:23 PM
NOT going over to the Distrito. Other than that, nope. Maybe a family reunion of sorts.
Others?

Haruki-kun
2012-09-02, 11:55 PM
I live in the States, so... maybe I'll order tequila at the bar instead of vodka. *nod nod*

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 12:33 AM
Hm, what's in 15/16? I feel so dumb :smallredface:

bluewind95
2012-09-03, 07:42 AM
Mexico independence day.

I'm so disgusted at current political events, I'll likely do absolutely nothing for the 15/16.

Crimmy
2012-09-03, 08:04 AM
No, blue! Do not mention the--!! The mods see everything! We're doomed!
----

Well, I don't feel our politics should be taken into account for national holidays. That doesn't change the fact that I still don't care much for the so-called "Independence Day" (More like, Independence Beginning Day).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-03, 09:08 AM
Well in my case it is mostly an excuse to party and drink a lot, and since one of my high school friends is going to host a party that is what I'll do.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 10:23 AM
Well in my case it is mostly an excuse to party and drink a lot, and since one of my high school friends is going to host a party that is what I'll do.

Yeah, that's mostly what I do.
September 7th a national holiday around here - the declaration of republic. My thoughts about it can be summed up by this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_Px218FZ0) If somebody wants the lyrics or a translation, PM me.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-03, 10:38 AM
That doesn't change the fact that I still don't care much for the so-called "Independence Day" (More like, Independence Beginning Day).

You know, I've always thought that. Americans celebrate the 4th. of July, which is the date their Declaration of Independence was adopted and signed, while we celebrate September 15/16, the date.... the war for independence started. It wasn't over for 11 years after that... I wish we celebrated the date the war ended instead.

We need an excuse? How about "There's alcohol available."? :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2012-09-03, 10:44 AM
No, blue! Do not mention the--!! The mods see everything! We're doomed!

Sorry! I won't mention the why's though!

I dunno, though. The thought of celebrating something when the current stuffs feel so... icky... it just doesn't appeal to me. I kind of feel like I'd be applauding the stuffs I'm upset about.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-03, 11:19 AM
You know, I've always thought that. Americans celebrate the 4th. of July, which is the date their Declaration of Independence was adopted and signed, while we celebrate September 15/16, the date.... the war for independence started. It wasn't over for 11 years after that... I wish we celebrated the date the war ended instead.

That indeed makes a lot more sense.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-03, 11:28 AM
For Mexican Playgrounders, are you planning something for the 15/16 of the month?

Not much. Probably going to stay home and relax.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-03, 11:36 AM

We need an excuse? How about "There's alcohol available."? :smalltongue:

Not really; but

a) I haven't seen some of my highschool friends in over a year and this is the perfect opportunity to catch up

and

b) Can't afford my own alcohol at the moment...

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-04, 04:43 AM
Not really; but

a) I haven't seen some of my highschool friends in over a year and this is the perfect opportunity to catch up

and

b) Can't afford my own alcohol at the moment...

Man, that sucks.
Btw, tequila is like really cheap on Mexico, right? It's very expensive here. A bottle costs around 80 reais (around 40 dollars).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-04, 05:47 AM
Eh it is not that I am broke; but as a 19 years old, full time student whose income depends on his parents. Alcohol is low on my priority list.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-04, 06:58 AM
Eh it is not that I am broke; but as a 19 years old, full time student whose income depends on his parents. Alcohol is low on my priority list.

I thought as much, but how much does a bottle of tequila cost in Mexico? I'm just curious.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-04, 08:23 AM
I thought as much, but how much does a bottle of tequila cost in Mexico? I'm just curious.

It ranges, but you can get some fairly good quality tequila for about 150 pesos. (About 11 or 12 dollars.)

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-04, 01:47 PM
It ranges, but you can get some fairly good quality tequila for about 150 pesos. (About 11 or 12 dollars.)

OK. I have to visit Mexico sometime.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-04, 10:54 PM
OK. I have to visit Mexico sometime.

:smallcool: Yes, yes you do.

Morph Bark
2012-09-06, 02:46 AM

I am suddenly glad I live in a country where alcohol is (relatively) cheap (most of the time).

Then again, I always end up making dragons if I have multiple kinds, so I probably should stop doing that.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 08:07 AM
Beer is cheap though; but beer hang-over is the worst... or at least they are to me, last time I got drunk entirely on beer I couldn't step out of bed the next day due the pounding headache and nausea.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-06, 08:37 AM
Beer is cheap though; but beer hang-over is the worst... or at least they are to me, last time I got drunk entirely on beer I couldn't step out of bed the next day due the pounding headache and nausea.

Getting drunk entirely on beer is way more expensive than getting drunk on most other things, though. You need a lot more beer.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 08:41 AM
As I now know, it wasn't one of my brightest moment....

Morph Bark
2012-09-06, 10:03 AM
At least you weren't drinking Dragons, so your unbright moments of getdrunkness are forgiven.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 10:07 AM
Now I am curious ( and too lazy to google), what are Dragons? I assume a drink of mixed alcohols...

Morph Bark
2012-09-06, 10:39 AM
It's basically what I ended up calling a drink I ordered in Scotland, and yes it is a mixed drink. It was a quarter each of Scotch, vodka, rum and gin and burned like the snog of a dragon on its way down. :smalltongue:

I based it on a drink my ex made on my request when she stayed at someone else's place where her host had a lot of various kinds of alcohol. She mixed together whiskey, vodka, rum, cognac, and at least one more I believe, possibly even more than that. I kept it in an old plastic Coke bottle for several months before opening it up. It was delicious, and also burned a little. It tasted much better than the new attempt.

I have, however, checked online if there are drinks called "dragon" and I managed to find one site with various alcohol recipes with some of them having "dragon" in the name, which are all mix drinks, most of them including vodka. There is also apparently a drink called Green Dragon, but that is more meant as a drug extract than an alcoholic beverage...

One of my friends who tasted of my drink in Scotland told me the whole idea of it reminded her of a drinking game common among students here supposedly, where people end up mixing up to about 7 different kinds of alcohol together, and noted that "you're missing Bailey's", which is a milky kind of alcoholic drink I believe. That's also why I ended up refusing to get some Bailey's to mix in there as well, as I don't like those kinds of drinks and prefer mine clear.

I'm looking forward to trying a Dragon with tequila in it someday. :smallamused:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-06, 10:47 AM
Getting drunk entirely on beer is way more expensive than getting drunk on most other things, though. You need a lot more beer.

Beer is good. And very cheap in Brazil. Except for good beer. Which is expensive. But good. Like, very good.

There is a drink here in Brazil called São João da Barra. It's tar cognac. My friends and I first learned about it from a taxi driver. Everytime someone is dared to drink it, hilarity ensues.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-06, 11:12 AM
Brazilians on exchange up here mentioned it. It appears it's not sold anywhere else. And I think its alcoholic content is high enough to be illegal in Mexico.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 11:28 AM
It's basically what I ended up calling a drink I ordered in Scotland, and yes it is a mixed drink. It was a quarter each of Scotch, vodka, rum and gin and burned like the snog of a dragon on its way down. :smalltongue:

I based it on a drink my ex made on my request when she stayed at someone else's place where her host had a lot of various kinds of alcohol. She mixed together whiskey, vodka, rum, cognac, and at least one more I believe, possibly even more than that. I kept it in an old plastic Coke bottle for several months before opening it up. It was delicious, and also burned a little. It tasted much better than the new attempt.

I have, however, checked online if there are drinks called "dragon" and I managed to find one site with various alcohol recipes with some of them having "dragon" in the name, which are all mix drinks, most of them including vodka. There is also apparently a drink called Green Dragon, but that is more meant as a drug extract than an alcoholic beverage...

One of my friends who tasted of my drink in Scotland told me the whole idea of it reminded her of a drinking game common among students here supposedly, where people end up mixing up to about 7 different kinds of alcohol together, and noted that "you're missing Bailey's", which is a milky kind of alcoholic drink I believe. That's also why I ended up refusing to get some Bailey's to mix in there as well, as I don't like those kinds of drinks and prefer mine clear.

I'm looking forward to trying a Dragon with tequila in it someday. :smallamused:

I'll try it next time I have the opportunity.... if I don't post again you all know it is Morph Bark's fault :smalltongue:

Beer is good. And very cheap in Brazil. Except for good beer. Which is expensive. But good. Like, very good.

There is a drink here in Brazil called São João da Barra. It's tar cognac. My friends and I first learned about it from a taxi driver. Everytime someone is dared to drink it, hilarity ensues.

Sounds really interesting

Brazilians on exchange up here mentioned it. It appears it's not sold anywhere else. And I think its alcoholic content is high enough to be illegal in Mexico.

... now it is even more interesting :smallamused:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-06, 02:28 PM
Now I'm gonna have to drink it today. :smalltongue:

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-06, 02:39 PM
Am I the only mexican doesnt drink alcohol or coffee or smokes at all? :smallredface:

Haruki-kun
2012-09-06, 03:57 PM
Am I the only mexican doesnt drink alcohol or coffee or smokes at all? :smallredface:

No, but it's probably about as rare nearly anywhere. :smalltongue:

Crimmy
2012-09-06, 04:39 PM
Olde, I don't drink alcohol, nor smoke.

However, coffee...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-06, 04:55 PM

I don't smoke... so half a point for me?

Morph Bark
2012-09-06, 05:16 PM
I'll try it next time I have the opportunity.... if I don't post again you all know it is Morph Bark's fault :smalltongue:

:smallcool::smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2012-09-06, 06:48 PM
I don't smoke, either. Did you need it to be 3/3 to count? :smalltongue:

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-06, 07:49 PM
Come on, guys! :smalltongue: It isnt a competition. I dont drink alcohol or smoke or drink coffee because of my addictive nature. When you can get addicted* to chess you know you have to be careful, especially considering that one of three were involved in the death of a few of my family members.

By addicted, I mean the kind where you stop caring about sleeping or eating or school.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-07, 02:18 AM
If you got that addicted to chess, I hope you never start optimizing in D&D 3.5 =p

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 01:10 PM
If you got that addicted to chess, I hope you never start optimizing in D&D 3.5 =p

Awww.. but having new optimizers is fun, it means we get to bring out the paddles:smallfrown:

More seriously, yeah if you can actually get addicted to Chess I would be very careful with most Geek-ish hobbies (TCG, wargaming, rpgs), in my experience most if not all of them have certain degree of addictivity.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-07, 01:33 PM
^I do play yugioh and currently own 6 different decks. XD

Still, something good came out of my addiction. I got a new chessboard after winning a school tournament. That let me use the phrase "Me volvi adicto al ajedrez y lo unico que obtuve fue este tablero."

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 01:41 PM
^I do play yugioh and currently own 6 different decks. XD

Still, something good came out of my addiction. I got a new chessboard after winning a school tournament. That let me use the phrase "Me volvi adicto al ajedrez y lo unico que obtuve fue este tablero."

For non-spanish speaking readers, the phrase means "I got addicted to chess and the only thing I got was this [chess] board".

I used to play yu gi oh when I was in primary school; but I lost my cards and instead of returning to Yu gi, I got into magic; but my cards got stolen a few months back... I don't have any luck wit TCG..

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-07, 01:50 PM
For non-spanish speaking readers, the phrase means "I got addicted to chess and the only thing I got was this [chess] board".

I used to play yu gi oh when I was in primary school; but I lost my cards and instead of returning to Yu gi, I got into magic; but my cards got stolen a few months back... I don't have any luck wit TCG..

I played Magic and Pokémon back in school. Nowadays I just play Game of Thrones, but it's a LCG.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 02:02 PM
What is LCG? I assume a deckbulding game.

bluewind95
2012-09-07, 04:12 PM
I don't smoke either! In fact, I am REALLY happy about the fact that people can no longer smoke in closed public places. You know... since I'm severely allergic to cigarette smoke. I also don't like most alcoholic beverages. Like tequila. Can't stand the stuff. And beer I outright hate.

But coffee? Coffee is good for you!

Haruki-kun
2012-09-07, 05:36 PM

I played Yu-gi-oh as well, but it became too expensive of a Hobby and I didn't have anyone to play with pretty soon.

I never got rid of the cards, but there's no point in bringing them out anymore these days: I played with a friend last year, using his deck, and I noticed that the cards have gotten extremely powerful in newer releases. My old deck doesn't stand a chance. =/

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 06:25 PM
I don't smoke either! In fact, I am REALLY happy about the fact that people can no longer smoke in closed public places. You know... since I'm severely allergic to cigarette smoke. I also don't like most alcoholic beverages. Like tequila. Can't stand the stuff. And beer I outright hate.

But coffee? Coffee is good for you!

Eh.. it is kinda annoying if you have smoking friends (like I do), you either have to halt conversation while other people are on smoke-break or you have to accompany them; but in general I am happy of that particular law.

I played Yu-gi-oh as well, but it became too expensive of a Hobby and I didn't have anyone to play with pretty soon.

I never got rid of the cards, but there's no point in bringing them out anymore these days: I played with a friend last year, using his deck, and I noticed that the cards have gotten extremely powerful in newer releases. My old deck doesn't stand a chance. =/

Yeah, I am kind of sad that normal monster are all but useless in the current game, now I feel like a grognard and have the urge to say "In my day we didn't have these fancy tuner cards, we had normal monsters and we liked it!" :shakes cane in the air:

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-07, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I am kind of sad that normal monster are all but useless in the current game, now I feel like a grognard and have the urge to say "In my day we didn't have these fancy tuner cards, we had normal monsters and we liked it!" :shakes cane in the air:

Funnily enough, during the last format there was a extremely powerful deck that used normal type monsters. XD

Anyway, in this format Xyz are the law.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 07:14 PM
Xyz are those cards with black outline and that instead of sending the monster used to summon the XYZ to the graveyard you stack them and then sacrifice them to activate effects right?

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-07, 07:37 PM
Yep, that is also the reason to be building a dinosaur deck. There are a couple of really cheap dinosaur requiring Xyz.

My brother recently bought a card just for its name in spanish. "La Morena Penetrante" I do wonder how they let that name slip to the spanish version.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-07, 08:19 PM
Yep, that is also the reason to be building a dinosaur deck. There are a couple of really cheap dinosaur requiring Xyz.

My brother recently bought a card just for its name in spanish. "La Morena Penetrante" I do wonder how they let that name slip to the spanish version.

:smallsigh: probably they just used an online translator... BTW it is called Piercing Moray in English... though I do have to agree it is difficult to translate without making an innuendo of it.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-08, 02:23 PM
What is LCG? I assume a deckbulding game.

LCG (living card game) is a non-randomized card game. You buy the core set, expansions, stuff like that. No rare cards and the like, no boosters. Otherwise, very similar to Magic and the like.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-08, 03:14 PM
LCG (living card game) is a non-randomized card game. You buy the core set, expansions, stuff like that. No rare cards and the like, no boosters. Otherwise, very similar to Magic and the like.

Just to be clear, the only difference is that every expansion "booster" is the same, you still can mix and match cards from different sets? Because that sounds interesting to say the least.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-08, 03:29 PM
Just to be clear, the only difference is that every expansion "booster" is the same, you still can mix and match cards from different sets? Because that sounds interesting to say the least.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-08, 03:31 PM
That sounds cool... I wonder if they have them at my FLGS.

lorddrake
2012-09-12, 08:12 AM
Hello, peoples in the playground!

I'm from São Paulo, Brazil!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-12, 11:21 AM
Hi, welcome to our little corner in the playground. :smallbiggrin:

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-12, 01:03 PM
Welcome lorddrake to our army community that soon will invade and conquer the playground is dedicated to us fellow South Americans (and Mexico) in the playground.

bluewind95
2012-09-12, 02:33 PM
Does it bug anyone else that the word "America" is used to refer to only one country instead of all the "Americas"? I mean... I always have seen that word used for the whole of the continent. "Colón descubrió América" (Columbus discovered America). And I'm pretty sure he didn't just go and "discover" one country, but really, the whole continent.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-12, 06:16 PM
Does it bug anyone else that the word "America" is used to refer to only one country instead of all the "Americas"? I mean... I always have seen that word used for the whole of the continent. "Colón descubrió América" (Columbus discovered America). And I'm pretty sure he didn't just go and "discover" one country, but really, the whole continent.

Nah. It used to, but it stopped bothering me a long time ago.

It's just easier to refer to it as America. "The United States" doesn't roll off the tongue. I usually don't refer to it as America, but I understand where they're coming from.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-12, 06:38 PM
Actually yes, it bothers me; but I try to ignore it for the most part. I agree with Haruki-kun, United States doesn't roll of the tongue and "United Statian" sounds funny.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-12, 06:42 PM
I dont like the term either. I normally refer to it as "USA" with the "U" pronounced like "you". It is shorter and people usually get what I meant.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-12, 06:56 PM
I call Americans Americans, though. Regardless of referring to the country as "the United States" most of the time.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-12, 11:19 PM
Hi, welcome to our little corner in the playground. :smallbiggrin:
Yes! Bem-vindo, compatriota!

It does bug me. I call people from the US "estadunidenses", but most brazilians just say "americans".

lorddrake
2012-09-13, 03:52 PM
I used to care more about it, but not anymore. "What's in a name? that which we call a rose/By any other name would smell as sweet (...)"

But there are those who disagree, naturally.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-13, 03:57 PM
Who could possibly disagree with Shakespearre? :smalleek:

lorddrake
2012-09-13, 04:00 PM
Who could possibly disagree with Shakespearre? :smalleek:

Not actually Shakespeare, but the idea that names do not matter. I know people who believe that what it is said have power over the world somehow.

Actually this is brought up in Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. :smallsmile:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-13, 11:56 PM
Not actually Shakespeare, but the idea that names do not matter. I know people who believe that what it is said have power over the world somehow.

Actually this is brought up in Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. :smallsmile:

I agree with the notion that words have power.

lorddrake
2012-09-14, 07:37 AM
I agree with the notion that words have power.

So, there you go. And I don't believe Mr. Martell would torch many Shakespeare's books over this. :smallsmile:

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-15, 01:44 PM
Happy independence day! (mexican one)

Crimmy
2012-09-15, 03:42 PM
No, happy Old Loony That Yelled At Indigenous Farmers Atop A Church Day.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-15, 07:51 PM
Viva México Cabrones!

Time to get drunk :smallbiggrin:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-23, 02:08 AM
In which part of the forums do you guys tend to hang out?
I'm mostly in the 3.5 forums.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-23, 08:31 AM
3.5 and (lurking) Media Discussion are my main hang outs, though I am starting to come here (Friendly Banter) a little more

lorddrake
2012-09-23, 08:32 AM
In which part of the forums do you guys tend to hang out?
I'm mostly in the 3.5 forums.

I'm mostly around 3.5, homebrew and OoTS... But I'm more of a lurker than a anything else...

bluewind95
2012-09-24, 10:35 PM
I mostly hang out here. In the LGBTA thread, for the most part. I also visit the Media Forum.

And soon maybe freeform roleplaying in the silly messageboard games section.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-25, 06:13 PM
Play by post games. Most of the time.

Haruki-kun
2012-09-25, 10:08 PM
SMBG, FB, Media, FFRP, Arts and Crafts.... I don't post as much as I used to, but I'm here pretty much every day.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-26, 12:13 PM
We are a bit spread aren't we?:smalltongue:

Crimmy
2012-09-26, 08:50 PM
FB and A&C.

Yes, we're spread.

Also, I'm having coffee, some pan dulce, and next friday... TACOS AL PASTOR!

bluewind95
2012-09-26, 09:32 PM
Tacos al pastor! Best tacos!

Real, beautiful, delicious tacos.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-26, 10:37 PM
Depends really... there are some really good Tacos al Pastor and in almost all taquerias they are at least eatable; but there are some awful tacos out there. For example a new taqueria opened in the near my house and they had the worst tacos I've ever tasted, not counting "american tacos".

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-27, 11:50 AM
I dont like tacos. Bring me something less meaty and more spicy like enchiladas.

bluewind95
2012-09-27, 03:44 PM
not counting "american tacos".

Can you even count those as tacos?

Enchiladas are great. I also love entomatadas. But they have to be *good* entomatadas. It's so easy to make them wrong, with watered-down tomato and cheap cheese.

lorddrake
2012-09-27, 04:26 PM
I have never eaten tacos =(

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-28, 07:15 AM
I dont like tacos. Bring me something less meaty and more spicy like enchiladas.
Blasphemy!!! How can someone not like tacos?:smallwink:

Can you even count those as tacos?

Enchiladas are great. I also love entomatadas. But they have to be *good* entomatadas. It's so easy to make them wrong, with watered-down tomato and cheap cheese.

Hence my quotation marks.

And good entomatadas/tacos/whatever is a general thing, I don't think you can make any food good if you use cheap and/or bad ingredients.

I have never eaten tacos =(
Poor you; but they are quite easy to make, if you have access to corn tortilla and beef you can make pretty good tacos yourself.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-28, 08:34 AM
Blasphemy!!! How can someone not like tacos?:smallwink:

Because, that is my first step to the end of the world.

Crimmy
2012-09-28, 03:52 PM
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Luka
2012-09-30, 11:39 AM
I have never tried tacos :smallconfused:
But I heeard they have some stuff I may not like....

Besides we just eat arepas over here :smallbiggrin:

Unlike me, I just want to explode stuff, bonus point if it's done For Great Justice.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-30, 12:14 PM

You got me all wrong. I want the world to freeze.

Crimmy
2012-09-30, 02:09 PM
DaOlde... ever heard of Freezer burns? Frostbites are kinda the same. Therefore, you can "burn" things via freezing. (This is all illogical mumbo-jumbo and should not be taken seriously)

----

Arepas? Like Arepa Franklin?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-30, 08:58 PM
My head Asplode

Haruki-kun
2012-09-30, 10:35 PM
Arepas? Like Arepa Franklin?

I believe you are referring to Aretha Franklin. :smallsmile:

Unless you were joking, in which case the joke went over my head, and I will try to play it off by inserting the following emoticon: :smallredface:

Crimmy
2012-09-30, 10:53 PM
http://us13.memecdn.com/Arepa-Franklin_o_77591.jpg

Hope that clears the joke for you, 'Ruki.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-02, 12:57 PM
Guys, what do you do for a living? I am curious and for my part I am full time student.

DaOldeWolf
2012-10-02, 01:13 PM
^Full time student, future psychologist.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-02, 01:16 PM
I am a future engineer, where do you study DaOldeWolf?

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-10-02, 01:36 PM
Hello to everyone from Argentina!

PS: I'm almost a medic.

DaOldeWolf
2012-10-02, 01:39 PM
Dusk Eclipse @In the UVM.

I studied before on Tec de Monterrey but there psychology was too specific for my taste.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-02, 01:40 PM
Huh I am studying at the Tec actually, small world isn't it?

Ragnar Lodbroke, welcome to the thread:smallsmile:

DaOldeWolf
2012-10-02, 01:42 PM
Yep, definitely a small world.

lorddrake
2012-10-02, 03:08 PM
I'm a translator.

T.G. Oskar
2012-10-02, 05:31 PM
Hmm, a lot of Mexicans and Central Americans in here, a nice load of Brazilians and South Americans here, and barely NO Caribbean representation? ¡Que bochorno!

Let's rectify this, shall we? Then again, I'm not sure if I'll be allowed, because I live in Limbo.

...well, not exactly. We Puerto Ricans consider ourselves Latin Americans, but ask other Latin Americans, and we get coupled with the gringos. But, ask anyone that knows about Puerto Rico within the United States, and they consider us Latin Americans.

So, if we're not Latin Americans by latinoamericanos and no gringos by those from the USA, where do we belong? Hence, why I mention I live in Limbo.

And no, I don't have any urgent desire to change this, even if we're gonna be asked about it come election day.

In case you don't frequent the Gaming section, I hang around in the Gaming section a lot, particularly on the Homebrew and 3.5 forums. Yes, one of these days I'm gonna find a Latin American D&D forum and gonna repost all the Retooled material in Spanish, if you were asking about it.

If you do...you probably would have known. Well, at least if you frequent the Iron Chef competitions. If not...then now you know.

Lemme see...oh, yes! As mentioned about a month and a half or so, Latin America is comprised of every country in America (the continent) that speaks a Romance language (that is, BTW, any country that speaks Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, a dialect of it, and IIRC Romanian) as its official language. That makes Belize, Suriname and Jamaica non-Latin American countries, even if they are below North America.

And I fondly remember how my History teacher divided America into "Latin America" and "Anglo-Saxon America" (any country that speaks English).

That said: would you consider Quebec and the other areas of Canada that speak French (Montreal?) as part of Latin America, or Anglo-Saxon America?

Cheers!

Haruki-kun
2012-10-02, 09:54 PM
I would call Canada Anglo-Saxon America, sorry. The culture is way closer to USA culture than most Latin American culture.

Also: Full-time student, here.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-06, 09:19 AM
Welcome, Ragnar, T.G.!

I think some of you know this already, but I work on an offshore drilling rig as a translator.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-11, 03:56 AM
Wow, 2012 is ending. Any plans? I just found out I'll be offshore :smallfrown:

EDIT: Can't believe I missed lorddrake saying he was a translator too. cool!

Crimmy
2012-11-11, 09:58 AM
Hopefully, spend Xmas with the family in Puebla, the town I was born in.
And have a small secret Santa.

Haruki-kun
2012-11-11, 10:14 AM
I believe I'll still be in the United States. Chances are I won't be going back to Mexico for a really long time.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-11, 10:17 AM
Not really sure to be honest, probably spend it with my family in my home.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-11, 10:26 PM
For the last few years I've been spending the New Year's eve in some beach in Rio. Usually I go to a party in a friend's house, then go to the beach, watch the fireworks then I walk along the coast talking to random people. The last part is the best. There are always some cool events. In 2009 a friend of mine rescued a guy that was drowning, but the guy tackled him and started crying, saying he wanted to die. Then we heard him complain about his life, paid him a beer and he seemed a lot happier. Last year was very weird. A girl started hanging with us and said her name was X (I can't really remember which name it was). A few minutes later, after she flirted with every male around, her boyfriend showed up and said her name was Y. And they started kissing passionately.
In Rio, after 2 AM, hilarity ensues. :smallbiggrin:

bluewind95
2012-11-11, 11:08 PM
I have never tried tacos :smallconfused:
But I heeard they have some stuff I may not like....

Meat and tortilla? That's all a good old taco needs.

Dusk Eclipse @In the UVM.

I studied before on Tec de Monterrey but there psychology was too specific for my taste.

Huh I am studying at the Tec actually, small world isn't it?

Ragnar Lodbroke, welcome to the thread:smallsmile:

Dude. You guys are probably really close by.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-12, 03:14 PM
New Year's Eve? Well...there's a 75/25 chance that we spend it the same place as always: morning at the cemetary, and night at my sister's home. Then again, I've never liked being outside my home after 6 PM because of the fireworks and stuff.

The question is where my family will celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas (Epiphany will be, as usual, in my house). There's a 50% chance that we celebrate both holidays at different places (one of the holidays here, the other on my aunt's home at the other side of the island) and a 49.??% that we celebrate both at my home. The other infinitesimal chances are that we celebrate one of them at least somewhere other than my home or my aunt's home (or my sister's home). It's that predictable.

Now, I hope that I finally have a chance to visit the festivities at Calle San Sebastian, though early on the morning (to prevent the hassle of night-time debauchery).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 08:03 AM
There was a 6.3 earthquake on the Richter scale here in México and I slept through it >_> I woke up to a lot of "did you feel the quake?" Facebook posts and tweets.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-15, 08:54 AM
There was a 6.3 earthquake on the Richter scale here in México and I slept through it >_> I woke up to a lot of "did you feel the quake?" Facebook posts and tweets.

Tangentially related: a friend of mine was doing exchange in Japan and she got so used to the quakes that when it woke her up at night, she would just go "oh, it's another quake" and go back to sleep.
Never having experience a quake in my life (Brazil is very well located - no hurricanes, no volcanoes, no earthquakes), I can't help but be terrified at the thought.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 09:37 AM
It wasn't a particularly bad quake, though I am kinda surprised my mum was able to feel it, as my house is located on volcanic rock.

Crimmy
2012-11-15, 01:26 PM
Ain't no lack of sleep like going to bed at 2 and getting up at 3:24 because of a quake... And then never going back to sleep.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-10, 11:09 PM
So I went outside today and it's freaking hell out there. Seriously, it's unbelievably HOT!

Morph Bark
2012-12-11, 05:41 AM
So I went outside today and it's freaking hell out there. Seriously, it's unbelievably HOT!

Unless it's over 42 degrees, I might be a little jealous.

Okay, 37.

Scarlet Knight
2012-12-11, 08:49 AM

Lead in to Mayan calender discussion?

Ragnar Lodbroke
2012-12-11, 11:06 AM
Well, between that, and the toxic cloud/flood we had around here the other day; it may very well do.

Haruki-kun
2012-12-11, 06:26 PM

-6C out there today. I've forgotten what regular temperatures are like... :smalltongue:

Crimmy
2012-12-11, 10:41 PM
Mayan people predicting disaster? Yeah, I'll take that at face value.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to visit the other 8 Roots of the Gods (I mean, if their predictions are true, then surely the Universe is flat, squared, and the Earth is flat and round.)

Anyway, the idea that the Mayas predicted anything is something I find completely ridiculous.

----
I am not at all hot, the weather is settled in a very pleasant 22° Celsius.

-6C out there today. I've forgotten what regular temperatures are like... :smalltongue:

Oh damn. I want to experience those temperatures, maybe not everyday, but I seriously want to experience it.

T.G. Oskar
2012-12-12, 03:11 PM
I bet that, for some strange meta-reason, the bak'tun doesn't end on the 23rd, but on the 28th. That would be incredibly hilarious, and most of us Latin Americans will go ahead and say "oh, those Mayans!!" Sadly, it's not as easy as using Arabic numbers to mirror that "3" into an "8" (darned long count).

Speaking of which: how many of you people celebrate Dec. 28th?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 03:25 PM
I bet that, for some strange meta-reason, the bak'tun doesn't end on the 23rd, but on the 28th. That would be incredibly hilarious, and most of us Latin Americans will go ahead and say "oh, those Mayans!!" Sadly, it's not as easy as using Arabic numbers to mirror that "3" into an "8" (darned long count).

Speaking of which: how many of you people celebrate Dec. 28th?

28th dec is the Innocents day right? No one that I know, except for my dad; but he is a troll (a bad one; but a troll nonetheless) all year roun so I am not sure if that counts.

Haruki-kun
2012-12-15, 12:10 PM
Oh damn. I want to experience those temperatures, maybe not everyday, but I seriously want to experience it.

You can crash on my couch provided you help me raise some cash to buy one.

Crimmy
2012-12-15, 10:44 PM
Can't promise anything. I could help out with spanish classes, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing on spanish I could teach that you couldn't, nor translate anything you couldn't.

=j

T.G. Oskar
2013-01-04, 03:50 PM
So, apparently the Mayans pulled an Innocents' Day prank on our collective (yes, Dusk: Dec. 28th is Innocents' Day, you're right on that one), and we're safe from the Mayan Apocalypse (I gave 'em a week; turns out it's, as always, a calendar change. Happy 13th bak'tun!!)

That said, there's two things I want to ask. First, is there any other place in Latin America where the Innocents' Day is celebrated? I know that, here in Puerto Rico, there's a municipality that offers a three-day celebration (the Hatillo Mask Festival, which ends right on Dec. 28th), but there might be other places where it's celebrated as a fest (not as a holiday, tho).

The second would be: whom do you ask for gifts? The Magi, or Baby Jesus? If you're the kind that asks for the Magi, what do you expect to get? And, if you asked Baby Jesus, what did you got for Christmas? This one goes straight to South Americans, as the Caribbean mostly celebrates the Epiphany.

Haruki-kun
2013-01-04, 10:36 PM
As a kid I got presents from Santa Claus. The Magi visited my house to bring candy and money on January 6th.

As a grown up I get a present from my parents and nothing from the Magi. And since I'm in the US now, I'll miss the Rosca this weekend. :smallfrown:

Morph Bark
2013-01-22, 07:49 AM
So, this might be a strange question to ask here

I'll just link to an appropriate thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268757) for it. :smalltongue: