PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Third Level 'Monk', item advice requested

Eldonauran
2012-07-29, 11:59 AM
So, the build:

Third level character: Level two Monk / Level one Fighter
Archetypes in Use: Monk (Sohei and Empty Hand) / Fighter (Unarmed)
Race: Half-elf
Alignment: Lawful Nuetral

DM has ruled wisdom bonus to AC works in light armor (Since Sohei gets prof with light armor). I saw no where this was mentioned or clarified, so we house ruled it. An official ruling would be nice, if one exists.

Stats: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10 (the +2 racial went to Str)
Feats: Catch off guard, Deflect arrows, Improved Grapple, Snapping Turtle Style and Dragon Style. Skill Focus (Acrobatics) - racial feat

DM has allowed 3,000 gp to start and additonally, one magic item (no more than 3,000gp can be spent on the item without subtracting from starting gold)

I plan on progressing Fighter from this point forward. The character has not seen play yet and any other advice is welcome (feats, ability scores, etc). The classes are not. Archetypes ... Maybe. The character concept is an unarmed fighter (lightly armored or unarmored) and ideally strong. He is to be the main line of defense for an elemental bloodline sorcerer and his bodyguard. Game setting is Waterdeep with heavy focus on the criminal underworld.

Drelua
2012-07-29, 12:05 PM
I don't have much advice, but I can tell you this; do not use the Unarmed Fighter Archetype! The Brawler is a much better unarmed fighter than the Unarmed Fighter... which doesn't tell you anything good about Paizo. :smallamused: I've used it before and it's a lot of fun, especially if you can use Dungeoncrasher from 3.5.

grarrrg
2012-07-29, 12:25 PM
I don't have much advice, but I can tell you this; do not use the Unarmed Fighter Archetype! The Brawler is a much better unarmed fighter than the Unarmed Fighter... which doesn't tell you anything good about Paizo. :smallamused:

Agreed.
With the the addition that Unarmed Fighter makes for a better 1 or 2 level dip.
The Unarmed gets a Free Style feat and can IGNORE the Pre-Reqs on it.
But once you hit 3rd level, the Brawler jumps ahead greatly.

Also, why exactly are you going Sohei/Empty Hand? 2 levels of Empty Hand does pretty much nothing for you.

Instead, might I recommend Sohei/Many Styles paired with Brawler Fighter?
Many Styles still gives you your bonus Style feat, and lets you use 2 styles at the same time.

Eldonauran
2012-07-29, 12:26 PM
Brawler is Definately an option, though I like unarmed fighter a bit better for the concept and style feats. 3.5 is not preferable and dungeon-crasher is Definately not going to be allowed.

I want to focus mostly on control, rather than pure damage output. This is a low to mid optimization game. 'Cool' has more 'umph' to it than 'powerful'

I went with empty hand merely because it reflected the character's battle style. Able to use anything as a weapon without penalty and use any weapon as something he is proficient with (light hammer, club or quarter staff) and still flurry.

I will review the suggestions on Archetypes. Any for items?

EDIT: I see no reason not to take Many Styles, even in addition to Empty hands. Since empty hands modifies flurry and many styles replaces flurry, the two can co-exist. Thanks for the help on that one.