PDA

View Full Version : Grim Reaper

vyr
2012-07-29, 12:52 PM
Hey, been lurking for a really long time and finally decided to make an account.

I want to create a guy with scythe, who could use some spells to buff himself or use them in some other way. Firstly I wanted to use cleric but I was unable to find a deity that would fit to my character.

I'd rather play as a human, point buy 32.

Thanks in advance

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 01:01 PM
.... Have you seen Nerull? I mean he is the Grim Reaper in all but name, heck he even has Scythe as his favoured weapon.

ima donkey
2012-07-29, 01:01 PM
You didn't think nerull fit? He is the grim reaper basically.

vyr
2012-07-29, 01:13 PM
Damn, sorry but I forgot to mention that I want to be neutral and that's why I ruled out Nerull.

and thank you for such a quick replies!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 01:16 PM
Nerull is Neutral evil right? A cleric can be one step from his deities' alingment, so a True Neutral cleric of Nerull is perfectly ok.

ahenobarbi
2012-07-29, 01:25 PM
Nerull is Neutral evil right? A cleric can be one step from his deities' alingment, so a True Neutral cleric of Nerull is perfectly ok.

Wasn't there a rule that cleric can be true nertral only if diety is TN?

A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.

Ceaon
2012-07-29, 01:26 PM
Or just play a cleric devoted to the ideals of Death (or Repose) and Shadow.
A bard might be interesting as well.

Urpriest
2012-07-29, 01:31 PM

A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity's alignment is also neutral.

Clerics don't automatically get proficiency with Scythes anyway, sans War Domain. You'll probably want at least one level in a class that gives proficiency in Martial Weapons. What about making a gish build? Usually you'll have at least a dip in something that gives proficiency.

OracleofSilence
2012-07-29, 01:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you using the scythe because of the crit multiplier, or because of fluff? Because the proficiency requirement does ruin clerics days.If you really, really want to (and I am not sure this works), go with the "alignment/philosophy" cleric, and choose war domain (its bad, but the only way to actually get scythe proficiency without actually multitasking).

I am not certain however, if this would even work, as war domain explicitly states that it grants you weapon proficiency with your gods weapon, and if you take this route, then you would have not patron deity.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-29, 01:44 PM
This is definitely a concept I've always wanted to try.
The idea I had was to go mounted line, make those lovely Cleric buffs work even harder. Yeah, I know the lance is better, but x2 ain't bad either.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 01:49 PM
Wasn't there a rule that cleric can be true nertral only if diety is TN?

A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity's alignment is also neutral.

Clerics don't automatically get proficiency with Scythes anyway, sans War Domain. You'll probably want at least one level in a class that gives proficiency in Martial Weapons. What about making a gish build? Usually you'll have at least a dip in something that gives proficiency.

Forgot about that pesky rule about being neutral and I also forgot that getting proficiency with the Deity favoured weapon was a houserule...

Certified
2012-07-29, 01:58 PM
If this was a Pathfinder game you might also want to consider the Magus. Pairing this with the Fighter - Weapon Master also gives you bonuses to confirm Critical and increases the already scary x4 multiplier. Consider 7 Levels of Magus giving you 3rd Level Spells and 13 Levels of Weapon Master.

Raimun
2012-07-29, 02:29 PM
Become a Bone Knight (PrC from the book "Five Nations").

You'll get proficiency with all Martial weapons and you can craft an insane skull armor with immunities and a scythe that harms the living more and it can be made Magical too. Leans towards the undead. You'll only lose one caster level but it has some weird requirments like Craft and Ride.

Also, you can be a Cleric of a cause (check the Cleric's entry from PHB). Just pick two Domains, like Death and something else. Say that you are a Cleric of Death. Ask if your DM would let you pick the War Domain and have it apply to scythes.

Edit: Both options can totally be Neutral.

vyr
2012-07-29, 02:43 PM
Or just play a cleric devoted to the ideals of Death (or Repose) and Shadow.
A bard might be interesting as well.

I had no idea that cleric doesn't have to choose a deity:smalltongue:

I was looking for a PrC with with full BAB and full spellcasting but didn't find anything interesting except Master of Shrouds.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the scythe because of the crit multiplier, or because of fluff? Because the proficiency requirement does ruin clerics days.If you really, really want to (and I am not sure this works), go with the "alignment/philosophy" cleric, and choose war domain (its bad, but the only way to actually get scythe proficiency without actually multitasking).

Fluff. I can't imagine a reaper without his faithful scythe:smallsmile:

Thank you all for your input:smallsmile:

Ramshack
2012-07-29, 03:24 PM
Full BaB and full casting? Most likely wont happen unless you gestalt or home brew. Though picking something like Duskblade might be okay. Or abjurant Champion might fit the bill if you want to go the arcane route

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-29, 03:52 PM
Full BaB and full casting? Most likely wont happen unless you gestalt or home brew. Though picking something like Duskblade might be okay. Or abjurant Champion might fit the bill if you want to go the arcane route

For clerics any full casting class is full BaB due a little spell known as Divine Power, add DMM persist for the full cheesy flavour or DMM Quicken for just a sprinkle.

rweird
2012-07-29, 05:25 PM
See if the DM can let you play a Divine Crusader (Complete Divine) of a cause, have your base be crusader, go into RKV (ToB) [again, ask if you can worship the cause of death instead, though Wee Jas might work]. Something Like Crusader 7/Divine Crusader 2/RKV 10/Crusader+1, Boost rebuke undead as much as you can, get effective full cleric casting and crusader manuevers, I'd suggest evil devoted spirit maneuvers for the death feel.

Tentakel
2012-07-29, 05:34 PM
I made a similar character once. Favored Soul of Jergal (Forgotten Realms deity that has Scythe as favored weapon) which gives him Weapon Focus for free, and then prestige class into Weapon Master (Oriental Adventures). You may have to take 2 levels or fighter or so for all the feats since Weapon Master is feat-heavy.

Spider_Jerusalem
2012-07-30, 10:01 PM
I have a "grim reaper" style NPC in my campaign. He's one of those hexblade/blackguard kind of builds. Calls his hexblade curse "the mark of death". Technically, he does the complete opposite of buffing himself, but the effect is almost the same.

Malak'ai
2012-07-30, 10:14 PM
I stated out a character similar to this a while ago.
Started out as a Barbarian 1/Cleric 3. Went with Nerull. Had a scythe with power attack, rage and a base Str of 15.

Anxe
2012-07-30, 10:35 PM
I'm also doing barbarian/cleric for my current character with a scythe. He's an elf follower of Artemis, so I went with Animal and Protection domains. I'm not doing much healing during combat, but its damn fun. My only feat currently is Combat Casting. I have no idea what to grab next, so I can't help you much with the build. I can say that its a lot of fun though!