PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning Psionic Feats

Cwymbran-San
2012-07-29, 01:34 PM
Hi there fellow playgrounders,

i hope i get this right, english is not my first language.

So, there is this feat named Linked Power. It says, i manifest in round 1, paying extra power points for a second power which will take effect in round 2.

Question 1: I pay extra points in round 1 AND i pay the second powers cost in round 2, i just do not have to spend an action, right?

Question 2: If i wanted to put more power points into either powers for more effect, do i have to pay the basic cost as additional or the pumped up cost.

My example here is a Psion 5/ Soulknife 5/ Atavist 2 with Linked Power and Practised Manifester. He wants to engage his target in melee, does not have enough move and manifest Energy Ray (pumped to 8d6 damage) linked to another Energy Ray (with a basic cost of 1) so he spends 9 power points, his maximum for the round.
On the following round, he charges his opponent, hitting him with his mindblade. Now the second Energy Ray goes off. Since it has not been paid for yet, he chooses to spend the full 9 power points for 9D6 damage.

Valid? Because this is how i understand the rules, there is no exeption in Linked Powers description about amplifying. Thanks for any kind of help in advance!

Ernir
2012-07-29, 01:56 PM
Question 1: I pay extra points in round 1 AND i pay the second powers cost in round 2, i just do not have to spend an action, right?
No. As CPsi says, "you do not need to spend any of your actions or power points next round to manifest the linked power."

Question 2: If i wanted to put more power points into either powers for more effect, do i have to pay the basic cost as additional or the pumped up cost.

My example here is a Psion 5/ Soulknife 5/ Atavist 2 with Linked Power and Practised Manifester. He wants to engage his target in melee, does not have enough move and manifest Energy Ray (pumped to 8d6 damage) linked to another Energy Ray (with a basic cost of 1) so he spends 9 power points, his maximum for the round.
On the following round, he charges his opponent, hitting him with his mindblade. Now the second Energy Ray goes off. Since it has not been paid for yet, he chooses to spend the full 9 power points for 9D6 damage.

Valid? Because this is how i understand the rules, there is no exeption in Linked Powers description about amplifying. Thanks for any kind of help in advance!

This example falls kind of flat, since the Linked Power was manifested in the first round.

If you would manifest Energy Ray (augmented to 8 PP) Linked to another Energy Ray (unaugmented), the first Energy Ray would deal 8d6, and the second 1d6. You could not augment the powers to cost more than a total of 9 PP.

Cwymbran-San
2012-07-29, 11:37 PM
That settles the issue, thank you very much. So, a better approach would be

Round 1: Energy Ray (8 PP) linked to Offensive Foresight (1 PP)
Round 2: Charge with the added bonus of Offensive Foresight

?

Ernir
2012-07-29, 11:44 PM
That settles the issue, thank you very much. So, a better approach would be

Round 1: Energy Ray (8 PP) linked to Offensive Foresight (1 PP)
Round 2: Charge with the added bonus of Offensive Foresight

?

Yes, that would technically work, as Energy Ray is not a Targeted power or an Area power, it is an Effect power.
Were Energy Ray a real Targeted power, it would not work, because if the first power in the link is Targeted, the other power must target the same target.

Rubik
2012-07-30, 12:04 PM
Yes, that would technically work, as Energy Ray is not a Targeted power or an Area power, it is an Effect power.
Were Energy Ray a real Targeted power, it would not work, because if the first power in the link is Targeted, the other power must target the same target.
However, if the first and second power cannot target the same creature (for instance, if the first is Close range and the second is Personal), you can target different creatures, so long as the Close one is done first. If the Close one is done second, you have to target yourself, even if it damages you.

Cwymbran-San
2012-07-30, 02:14 PM
That troubles me. According to the feat, i only have to specify a target for the second power if the first one does not have a target (which is the case with Energy Ray). I can't find any mention about ranges.

Rubik
2012-07-30, 02:16 PM
That troubles me. According to the feat, i only have to specify a target for the second power if the first one does not have a target (which is the case with Energy Ray). I can't find any mention about ranges.But there are no limitations on what powers can be Linked. If you literally cannot target the same creature with the second power, then you must choose separate targets.