PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Monster Templates!

Bex0r
2012-07-29, 02:03 PM
Who has a favorite Monster Template and what is it?
I've been asked to supply a few for an online Pathfinder setting, but I want to hear about templates from any system because I could probably tweak them to work.

I want to hear about rare and third party material too! Go!

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-29, 02:15 PM
Mineral Warrior, Vecna-Blooded, Feral, Unseelie Fey. I tend to like Insectile a lot as well despite the LA.

Morithias
2012-07-29, 02:16 PM
Mineral Warrior, Vecna-Blooded, Feral, Unseelie Fey. I tend to like Insectile a lot as well despite the LA.

Yeah those 4 are probably the best ones. I'd have to add Lolth-touched though. Good for a boost if your monster is in the underdark.

eggs
2012-07-29, 02:24 PM
If you're looking for weird semi-obscure templates, Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary is a full 250-300 page monster book full of them. Some are pretty neat - I really like monsters with the Smoke and Ooze templates, Flesh Plants are just unsettling and Time Seer is fun on a PC.

That_guy_there
2012-07-29, 05:03 PM
If you're looking for weird semi-obscure templates, Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary is a full 250-300 page monster book full of them. Some are pretty neat - I really like monsters with the Smoke and Ooze templates, Flesh Plants are just unsettling and Time Seer is fun on a PC.

I love that book! My group used it so much the spine has basically deteriorated into nothingness. Now held together by duct tape!

The juton-blooded template is pretty cool, as is the Luck Spurned creature template

Greyfeld85
2012-07-29, 06:07 PM
I'm a rather large fan of the Dark template, myself.

Volthawk
2012-07-29, 06:31 PM

I like those templates as they give me ideas about stufff to put in worls. For example, an idea I've had is to use poisonous/plague bearer from that book to represent natives of a blighted region of the world, where diseases are rife and toxins and poisons are eveywhere, so only the creatures that had the immunity to these things could survive naturally in theenvironment (so as well as the templated, constructs and undead are the things more commonly found), and survival for other, non-immune beings required intelligence, so generally beings in the blight zone are immune or sapient (or both).

Amalgam from there is also fun to mess with.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-29, 07:41 PM
Alright, what hasn't been mentioned yet...

Dragonborn (RotD) Tauric (MM2) Titanic (MM2) Woodling (MM3) Half-golem (MM2)

ima donkey
2012-07-29, 07:48 PM
Winged creature is sweet and half vampire is nice too.

Venusaur
2012-07-29, 08:06 PM
Half-Minotaur!

VGLordR2
2012-07-29, 08:09 PM
I really like Half-Illithid. It's a lot of LA to eat, but it's almost as good as a full Illithid in some respects. They're a lot of fun to play, too.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-29, 08:21 PM
Beast of Xvim. Wendigo. Telthor. Saint. Incarnate Construct.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List

Necroticplague
2012-07-29, 08:52 PM
My favorite template is the Aberrant template, from a third party book that was entirely devoted to templates.Seeing earlier posts makes me want to hunt for that advanced bestiary (I'm a big fan of templates).

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 02:19 AM
My favorite template is dungeonbred. It's so much easier to get miniatures for smaller monsters...

Volthawk
2012-07-30, 05:12 AM
My favorite template is the Aberrant template, from a third party book that was entirely devoted to templates.Seeing earlier posts makes me want to hunt for that advanced bestiary (I'm a big fan of templates).

Ooh, is that the one where you get 1d4 special attacks and 1d4 special qualities (Might be a +/-1 for one of them), each one determined by a d100 roll? If so, I know the one you mean. Fun little template (OK, not little space-wise due to the tables, but still), especially when you get to describe all the weird changes the creature has.