PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Dex Barbarian/Swordsage with a big butter knife

Fenryr
2012-07-29, 06:04 PM
Hi! I apologize but this couldn't fit the RAW topics of rules because it's a 3.PF.

'm a little bit confused about oversized weapons in Pathfinder. In Core Rulebook on page 141 and 143 in Weapon Size part it says that a dagger (a light weapon) is a weapon two categories smaller for the user. Then on page 143 in Inappropriately Sized Weapons part it says an oversized weapon is one step bigger for the user.

In Dungeon Master II there's a Feycraft Template for weapons. Page 274. If the weapon is considered light, I can add my Dex instead of my Str for attack. Weapon Finesse feat doesn't allow me to use a bigger weapon and add Dex to my attack. A large or huge dagger is still considered a "light weapon" for Feycraft template?

If I mix this, how does it works exactly? I want a Titan Mauler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/titan-mauler) to use the biggest dagger or short sword ever (character concept of Human, Dex Swordsage/Barbarian). That means I can use a Large Dagger and it will be one size smaller for a Medium Character? I will be able to use Shadow Blade (Tome of Battle, page 32) feat with a Large or even bigger dagger?

Is it possible or I should make a Dex Barbarian with normal weapons?

Thank you.

PinkysBrain
2012-07-29, 07:24 PM
It's possible in theory, but the Titan Mauler is just silly ... yeah I can wield a huge dagger ... and it does less damage than just using a bloody two handed sword.

Just use a spiked chain, finessable and usable with Shadow Blade and you can take an actually good archetype ...

Fenryr
2012-07-29, 07:28 PM
It's possible in theory, but to wield a huge weapon with a medium character gives you a -4 ... just use a spiked chain, finessable and usable with Shadow Blade.

Concept my friend, concept! Also, Titan Mauler allows me to ignore those penalties every 3rd level by 1.

Anyone else thinks like PinkysBrain? I need my DM to show this thread so he can accept more than one answer.

Thank you.

PinkysBrain
2012-07-29, 07:29 PM
I'm perfectly fine with concept, I don't seek to optimise everything ... but the Titan Mauler fails so incredibly hard at it's concept that it should be avoided.

PS. actually if you are allowed to use the Monkey Grip feat and strong arm bracers AND the DM lets them stack ... then Titan Mauler becomes useful, you can then wield a huge spiked chain without penalty.

Baroncognito
2012-07-30, 12:48 AM
Could you just re-fluff an elven curve blade as a butter knife?

Fenryr
2012-07-30, 03:48 PM
Could you just re-fluff an elven curve blade as a butter knife?

Oh, of course. The butter knife idea was just a silly Title.

Griffin
2012-08-01, 02:30 PM
I do agree with the posibilities, and I think ruling is been applied correctly, altough same as Pinky, I question the utility, imo. a titan mauler is to be used with larger weapons, stacking the bracers and feat already mentioned, but I consider myself a defender of character concept, so thumbs up and hit it!