PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them

awa
2012-07-29, 06:22 PM
I was working on a homebrew game thats sort of an amalgamation of a couple different systems with some home brew in their as well.
the question involved tinkering with an ability to throw grappled opponents my problem is I didn’t really like the way it calculated how far a creature could be thrown iron heroes used str score divided by 5. I was not certain if they were measuring in feet or squares. but at 20 str 4 feet seem way to little and 20 feet seemed a bit much.

so how would you calculate how far someone could be thrown

That_guy_there
2012-07-29, 06:47 PM
You could instead make a Strength check against the grappled person's dexterity (set the Grappled person's Dex as the DC) and for every point over the DC you get, you throw the person 1 foot away from you.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-29, 06:58 PM
I'd use the Fling Enemy feat from Races of Stone as a baseline. Takes a standard action, only works on someone you're grappling, you make a grapple check and throw them 10 feet for every 5 points you win the grapple by (maximum range dependent on your size against theirs).

Invader
2012-07-29, 07:10 PM
Divide their strength by 2 and that's how many feet they can throw someone. So 22 str \ 2 = 11ft or 3 squares
18 str \ 2 = 9ft or 2 squares etc.

That's seems pretty viable to me.

awa
2012-07-30, 11:02 AM
thanks for the imput i think i like the divide by 2 round up method.

Downysole
2012-07-30, 12:20 PM
thanks for the imput i think i like the divide by 2 round up method.

Be careful, because that might turn into "throw the enemy 3 squares back [off a cliff]" or "...[into a bunch of spikes]"

But I agree that using a grapple check would be a rough thing to do since that would allow grapple monsters to torch your players when they roll 1 on a grapple.

awa
2012-07-30, 10:02 PM
I want players to throw monsters off cliffs and into spikes becuase its awesome.
throwing honestly to difficult to be worth it other wise
first they need to make a grapple check to grab the target another with a penalty to lift them and then an attack action to throw.

although having listed all that out i might make a feat to make it easier

Darrin
2012-07-31, 07:56 AM
although having listed all that out i might make a feat to make it easier

I'd suggest looking at Martial Study: Mighty Throw (from Tome of Battle).

Avoid Fling Enemy. It restricts you to a standard action, so if you have multiple attacks, they get wasted. The Hulking Hurler route gives you Really Throw Anything, combine that with Improved Grab (Scaled Horror, Spirit Bear Totem, or Scorpion's Grasp), and you can combine attack + grab + throw all into the same attack routine. King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646) might also be worth a look.

cagemarrow
2012-07-31, 09:48 AM
You could just use Awesome Blow/knockback and use an attack action instead of a grapple check while in the grapple. If the bullrush is high enough to push them out of their reach it breaks the grapple and they go flying out that far. Add in Dungeoncrasher for even more fun.

But now I have a overly trusting Hulking Hurler NPC forming in the back of my head. His sense motive is attrocious because he can throw everyone out of sight. :)