PDA

View Full Version : Sidhe Rules and superstitions

KnightOfV
2012-07-29, 07:22 PM
So in the game I am currently running, the party is about to bargain with none other than the King of all Fey, the Erlkonig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Erlk%C3%B6nig). I am basing most of the rules he, and his fellow elves, nymphs, dryads, etc. on a combination of fey rules in the Dresden books, and whatever else I could find from an hour of google searching. They already had to swear thrice that they came in peace before he would treat with the party, and they will have the option of offering a gift to improve his attitude. Anyone know of any other common fey/farie superstitions? :smallbiggrin:

Here's what I've got so far:

Do NOT lie.
Honor bargains.
Swearing thrice makes a thing so.
If you receive a gift, you must give one in return, of relatively the same value (though fey and mortals place different value on things!)
Visible Iron means Hostility (sheathed weapons are acceptable, armor is not!)
Iron, Holy symbols, and reciting prayers to a good diety can keep lesser fey away.

Network
2012-07-29, 08:01 PM
I heard about the fact that faeries have two courts : the Seelie court (relatively friendly to mortals), and the Unseelie court (complete monsters).

I don't know if you found this in your search, I hope I'll be useful.

Pyromancer999
2012-07-29, 08:14 PM
I heard about the fact that faeries have two courts : the Seelie court (relatively friendly to mortals), and the Unseelie court (complete monsters).

I don't know if you found this in your search, I hope I'll be useful.

Not entirely true. For one, Seelie and Unseelie are simply one type(Scottish, I believe) of classification for fey. Also, while Seelie are relatively friendly, if slighted, they do pursue vengeance with a passion, and will bring down anyone who causes something they may want revenge for. Additionally, Unseelie, while usually harmful to humans, do have their moments of benevolence.

As for good traditions to use, I'd advise having the PCs not to eat or drink anything, or else they become the Erlkonig's. As this may or may not matter, some sources say that attempting to steal from the fey and getting caught can also make them Erlkonig property, and if they receive a gift without returning, they probably owe the Erlkonig a boon or two in the future.

Prime32
2012-07-29, 09:07 PM
Main thing to remember: They may like imitating human customs, but fey are not human - their minds are completely alien. People have died when a fey played a "harmless prank" or even tried to be courteous (many of them don't even understand the concept of mortal life).

As TVTropes points out on its page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk) - Eldritch Abomination? "Eldritch" originally meant the same thing as "elvish".

I've got a longer analysis here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=108).

Iron, Holy symbols, and reciting prayers to a good diety can keep lesser fey away.I wouldn't limit it to good deities; evil ones should work too. Or make it nature deities instead.

Pyromancer999
2012-07-29, 09:41 PM
I think Prime32 knows best in this case. One of the principle reasons people are fascinated by fey as a whole is because they don't think like humans do. The longer link Prime32 has posted states it most clearly, though. I will add though if one wants to look further into fairies and fey, they should take a look at the Tuatha De Danann and the Formorians(the original ones, not the D&D hivemind ones).

KnightOfV
2012-07-29, 11:38 PM
@Prime32
Wow. That link of all the characteristics is good stuff. Some of it I kinda had in my head, but I am already starting to get more ideas reading through it. You have given me ideas, and ideas make me happy. Good point on deities too. And I can't believe I forgot to check TVtropes. That site has EVERYTHING.

@Pyromancer999 and Network
Cool info here, I had not heard of the Seelie and Unseelie, or the other names, this gives me a few new search terms.

Everyone has really hammered in how alien this encounter should feel and how little the Sidhe should value human life. Many thanks and cookies all around! Now off to sleep and campaign plan... or perhaps the other way around?:smallamused: