PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever truly see how ugly you are?

Scowling Dragon
2012-07-29, 09:21 PM
We have natural "Pink tinted spectacles" built into our bodies so we see ourselves as beautiful.

But for whatever reason, if I concentrate in the mirror long enough I see myself like I see others. Im able to ignore the lenses and see that I look pretty ugly from a different persons perspective.

Can anybody else do this?

An Enemy Spy
2012-07-29, 09:26 PM
I'm digusting. I don't find myself attractive at all. I think if I was murdered and they showed my picture on the news, people would assume I was the murderer.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-29, 09:30 PM
Beauty is on the inside as far as I'm concerned. I don't view my attractiveness in terms of my physical appearance.

Serpentine
Uuuuuh... I think most, or at least a whole stack of, people are actually quite the opposite: familiarity breeds contempt, and they're all all too aware of every single one of the little flaws that no one else notices or cares about. Hell, it's basically a massive trope of life that women get hung up on little things like wrinkles and cellulite when men are just happy to see boobs. In fact, this is so widespread and talked about, I can't really see how anyone would assume that everyone else would have to concentrate to see the ugly :confused: If anything, it's exactly opposite: people, in general (except for those with exceptionally good body image and/or self esteem), struggle to be able to see anything but ugly. I know I do.

Dumbledore lives
Do we have rose tented views on ourselves? It seems like with body issues so rampant and products like makeup and exercise equipment so rampant we generally don't. Some of it is aggressive marketing but I find people often see themselves worse than they see others, I know I do.

I'm perfectly happy with how I look but heaven knows I'm not beautiful or even pretty or anything like that, I'm a bit below average and I'm fine with that. I don't need to stare into the mirror to see that. Though apparently I have pretty eyes.

Siosilvar
2012-07-29, 09:42 PM
In my opinion, most beauty comes from confidence. There's a whole lot of self-belief involved. If you think you're beautiful, you'll look the part (or at least closer to it). If you think you're ugly, people get turned away by your body language of general dejectedness. We project a whole lot of ourselves without anyone consciously realizing it.

As for me? I know what I am, and I'm downright sexy. Okay, that's those "rose-tinted glasses" talking; I'm probably roughly average (I could use some more muscle - I really look like a wimp), but I'm not convinced that it's necessarily a bad thing to view yourself in a positive light.

Of course, it does have to be tempered with a bit of realism, but positive thinking really, truly, [synonym here] does go a long way.

stack of people So I'm not the only person that uses that turn of phrase. Huh.

Sholos
2012-07-29, 09:55 PM
Can't remember the last time I thought of myself as attractive. If I ever did. I don't think I'm hideous, but I'm definitely decidedly average at best. Don't really know how other people think of themselves.

Squark
2012-07-29, 09:59 PM
Hmm... I have a lower opinion of my own attractiveness than people close to me do, but I'm not sure if that's because I pay closer attention to my own facial flaws in the mirror than I do other people (A strong possibility, frankly), their personal bias, or if I'm just not a good judge of attractiveness. Probably a combination of all three.

Serpentine
2012-07-29, 10:01 PM
If you think you're beautiful, you'll look the part (or at least closer to it). If you think you're ugly, people get turned away by your body language of general dejectedness. We project a whole lot of ourselves without anyone consciously realizing it.Meh. You don't need to think that you're beautiful - or even that you're not ugly - to have that sexy, sexy confidence. Hell, I think the variety of confidence that comes from being aware of how drop-dead gorgeous you are tends to be somewhat of a turn-off (take it away, The Streets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg3rQfeZv4)). It is, however, perfectly possible to think that you're butt-ugly, or even just be self-conscious of the way your cheeks are too round and your nose too nobbly and your chin is weird and the underhang of your jaw makes you look toadish, and still think "you know, all things considered, I'm looking pretty good today. And dammit, I'm pretty great in general" and be able to strut your stuff.
And yeah, that confidence goes a long way to making you more attractive regardless of mere genetics.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-29, 10:31 PM
I look okay. I'm trying to work out a bit, for health and looks, but as for my face, the only problem I have with it is a bit of acne. Nothing major.

Crimmy
2012-07-29, 10:41 PM
I don't think I'm handsome, but I really don't consider myself ugly, not even when I look long enough into the mirror.

Siosilvar
2012-07-29, 10:59 PM
Meh. -snip-

Yes, there's a difference between confidence and willful ignorance, overconfidence, hubris, whatever you want to call it. That's why I mentioned that it needs to be tempered with reality. And not rubbing it in peoples' faces, but that really should go without saying.

"Yes I have flaws, but I'll be damned if I'm not all-round awesome regardless. Or at least pretty cool."

Serpentine
2012-07-29, 11:03 PM
Nah. My point was more that that sort of sexy self-confidence and body image issues/assessment that one is not especially physically attractive aren't mutually exclusive.

Siosilvar
2012-07-29, 11:07 PM
Nah. My point was more that that sort of sexy self-confidence and body image issues/assessment that one is not especially physically attractive aren't mutually exclusive.

I think part of the misunderstanding here is that I didn't mean "beautiful" as necessarily a physical thing. It made sense in my head, but I guess typed out lost some of that connotation I give it. Maybe "wonderful" would've been a better choice.

Dienekes
2012-07-29, 11:09 PM
Huh? I don't think I'm beautiful at all. In fact I take an odd sort of pride to my general slobish ugliness.

dps
2012-07-30, 12:38 AM
I don't even really care what I look like.

Rawhide
2012-07-30, 12:50 AM
Uuuuuh... I think most, or at least a whole stack of, people are actually quite the opposite: familiarity breeds contempt, and they're all all too aware of every single one of the little flaws that no one else notices or cares about. Hell, it's basically a massive trope of life that women get hung up on little things like wrinkles and cellulite when men are just happy to see boobs. In fact, this is so widespread and talked about, I can't really see how anyone would assume that everyone else would have to concentrate to see the ugly :confused: If anything, it's exactly opposite: people, in general (except for those with exceptionally good body image and/or self esteem), struggle to be able to see anything but ugly. I know I do.

I was shocked, but it's actually the opposite. We overestimate our own attractiveness. For one such research paper on the topic: http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/EpleyWhitchurch.pdf

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 12:51 AM
I am the most handsome man in the world. As in, ever. I look at the mirror and I think: "I'd go gay for me. I really would."

Rawhide
2012-07-30, 12:52 AM
I am the most handsome man in the world. As in, ever. I look at the mirror and I think: "I'd go gay for me. I really would."

"There are no straight men, only those who have not met John Barrowman."

Kneenibble
2012-07-30, 01:01 AM
My budgie makes me feel sexy. We nuzzle and warble together, and she preens my eyebrows.

Pokonic
2012-07-30, 01:07 AM
Probably. I mean, I personaly like my curly hair, but others say "No, it's too big, how do you even fit thru the doorway? My god, is that a AHHH!"

Thats usualy when the swarm of bees that live in my hair attack. :smallbiggrin:

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-30, 01:42 AM
"There are no straight men, only those who have not met John Barrowman Cristiano Ronaldo."

FTFY :smallcool:
Really, Cristiano Ronaldo is a very handsome man.

Serpentine
2012-07-30, 01:47 AM
I was shocked, but it's actually the opposite. We overestimate our own attractiveness. For one such research paper on the topic: http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/EpleyWhitchurch.pdfHuh. Interesting.

Suddenly I am deeply depressed :smallfrown:

The Succubus
2012-07-30, 01:54 AM
I used to avoid mirrors like the plague but now after many years I've finally come to terms with my rippling mainly physique, my chiseled jaw line and winning smile.

Just don't ask about the hair though. >.>

Temotei
2012-07-30, 02:02 AM
I try not to be concerned about it. It works.

I thought this thread was going to be about personality and morals and such. I'm slightly disappointed.

arguskos
2012-07-30, 02:40 AM
I try not to be concerned about it. It works.
You're beautiful. I know it. :smallwink:

I thought this thread was going to be about personality and morals and such. I'm slightly disappointed.
Honestly? I agree. :smallsigh:

Also, on-topic, I kinda struggle with this issue. Self-confidence is an uphill battle, one I don't always win, so yeah, I "truly see how ugly [I] am" on a regular basis. What's tougher is seeing how beautiful I am too. This isn't to say I can't/don't/won't see the beauty in myself but merely that it's hard to do so sometimes. It is definitely a lot easier to see how horrible I look. What'd Serp say? "Familiarity breeds contempt"? Too true.

@That Study of Rawhide's: Huh. I am more educated now. Additionally, I am now more aware of my own flaws. Unconsciously granting a positive bias to objects/people based on ambiguously interpreted traits in yourself is as bad as (or perhaps worse than) seeing only ever the negative in yourself. Man, a guy just can't win. :smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2012-07-30, 02:49 AM
We have natural "Pink tinted spectacles" built into our bodies so we see ourselves as beautiful.

But for whatever reason, if I concentrate in the mirror long enough I see myself like I see others. Im able to ignore the lenses and see that I look pretty ugly from a different persons perspective.

Eh, I don't know.
I like to think we all have our days when we think 'Gods, I'm a cow'.
I particularly hate my nose. It looks like a front view of a 737, with these massive nostrils and bulging centre. It's like a cat nose.
When I'm feeling depressed, it just dominates my face.
Some days though, on good days, I look in a mirror and I thank, "Damn, I look good."
Unconventional perhaps, rather villainesque, but an intriguing face nonetheless.

Rawhide
2012-07-30, 02:53 AM
FTFY :smallcool:
Really, Cristiano Ronaldo is a very handsome man.

John. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr0BPOfVw4) Flippin'. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtdGwiMtZ08) Barrowman. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMncnFQkZ5w)

Bonus. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xd7mDLql0)

Ravens_cry
2012-07-30, 02:58 AM
I like my men like whisky, well aged and smooth.
Sir.
Patrick.
Stewart. (http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9769/patrickstewart02.jpg)

GnomeFighter
2012-07-30, 04:43 AM

Ye, It dose take a little while of concentrating and careful introspection to see how fabulous I truly am. I mean, it dose slow me down in the morning, but I think it's relay worth the time end effort just so I'm aware of the effect I have on others. I mean, it can't be easy having to work with this all day and knowing you will never measure up.

Mauve Shirt
2012-07-30, 05:05 AM
I'm hideous. Woo, I've proven someone wrong on the internet!!!
:smallsigh:

Eldariel
2012-07-30, 05:12 AM
I was shocked, but it's actually the opposite. We overestimate our own attractiveness. For one such research paper on the topic: http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/EpleyWhitchurch.pdf

With how many people have body image issues, this can't be the whole story. Or it might be subconscious but we might yet overwrite/ignore it all consciously. I mean, desperately seeking outside confirmation that one is not hideous (even in cases where the person in question is extremely beautiful/handsome) is basically an epidemic for teens and young adults in particular, from what I've seen in all the schools and colleges I've worked at.

Spiryt
2012-07-30, 06:29 AM
I've actually read something like "we see ourselves as ~ 5 times more attractive in mirror" on some site with useless trivia.

It's conspiracy.

Or Internet just actually mangles the same topic in few days, globally, no matter if it's true/sensible or not.
:smalltongue:

Rawhide
2012-07-30, 06:36 AM
5 times = false
Slightly = true

(At least for most people.)

Astrella
2012-07-30, 06:42 AM

It's hard to look into the mirror without bouts of dypshoria most of the time, so yes I guess?

Fragenstein
2012-07-30, 06:47 AM
True story. I lost a great deal of weight starting in my mid-twenties through proper diet and exercercise. Apparently it worked well, as I was doing a little mall-walking one day and caught a glimpse of a very nice looking young man who was moving through a crowd on the other side of the hall.

"Why can't I look more like that?" I naturally lamented.

It's about then that it struck me. I was seeing my own reflection in a store window. I counted that day as a win.

Too bad I'm not so awesome on the inside. I've seen what comes out of me, especially after a really good chile verde. It must be bloody hell in there.

Eldan
2012-07-30, 06:56 AM
Well, all the evidence seems to indicate that I must be unattractive.

Cespenar
2012-07-30, 07:03 AM
Well, all the evidence seems to indicate that I must be unattractive.

Well, you can't fight science.

Eldan
2012-07-30, 07:16 AM
Well, you can't fight science.

I did not do an appropriate experiment: there was neither a double-blind study (where I did not know if it was me or not :smalltongue: ) and no control group. All I have is empirical evidence based on the last 25 years of my life.

Castaras
2012-07-30, 07:26 AM
Nowadays I can look in the mirror and see what other people see in me. Before, I found it difficult to comprehend why anyone would go after me.

Was all in the confidence for me. I know my flaws, and if I could be bothered I could fix them. I can't, so I don't, accept myself for who I am and move on.

And if the study that says we view ourselves as better than we actually are is true, then I know that in the past I must have looked like a hag, and now I look below average - the latter of which is logically not true considering the attention I get nowadays...

smuchmuch
2012-07-30, 07:33 AM
I think self percieved attractiveness will depends a lot of your self esteem and which standarts you have come to compare yourself to. Which in turns depends on a lot of factors, be they mental, phyical or societal.

Cespenar
2012-07-30, 07:35 AM
I did not do an appropriate experiment: there was neither a double-blind study (where I did not know if it was me or not :smalltongue: ) and no control group. All I have is empirical evidence based on the last 25 years of my life.

Meh. Since you can't reach a conclusion with only empirical evidence, and you can't enact a proper experiment, you might as well forget the subject and get on with your life. :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2012-07-30, 09:11 AM
I think it's more that people are bad at objectively rating their own attractiveness. Some wildly overestimate. Some wildly underestimate.

Realistically, it's best to just do what you can to improve, but not stress too much about it.

Ceric
2012-07-30, 10:43 AM
I think I'm quite good-looking. Not necessarily more good-looking than other people, but I like my facial features, body, clothing, etc. I'm even vain enough that if there's a mirror or reflective window in the vicinity, I'll subconsiously spend a disproportionate amount of time checking my own reflection rather than paying attention to the more relevant stuff around me :smalltongue: This happens even more if I buy a new shirt or do something interesting with my hair that day.

I think I'm about average, maybe a little less than average, when compared to others. I don't care enough to strive for higher. I don't wear makeup, I let my hair grow long because I can't (be bothered to) think of a more interesting haircut and haven't since childhood, and I wear t-shirts instead of the "fashionable" clothing that the mannequins in my age group's stores do. I own exactly one pair of high heels, which are black and fairly formal; all my other shoes tend to look and wear like sneakers. I still pick at my acne even when my mom tells me not to (luckily my skin is pretty good in general).

I love getting compliments from friends on a piece of clothing here or there. But I get severely weirded out if/when I find that someone actually finds me perpetually attractive :smalleek: (Well, if I'm not interested back, and I'm not interested in dating atm so that's basically everyone.)

It's complicated.

(It's also approximately backwards of my mental confidence >.> Everyone thinks I'm smart and brilliant and probably have a 4.0 GPA; I hate the fact that not only am I terrible in school but I also have no practical skills and very few interests, none that would make any good conversation. Reality is somewhere in between.)

Maxios
2012-07-30, 12:47 PM
I don't think I'm good-looking, but other people tend to disagree with me on that :smallamused:

Eldariel
2012-07-30, 02:23 PM
Just checked. The study was conducted with university undergraduates. This is like to skew the results a lot; we're talking about people in the 20s and people who have made it to the university. Also, it's worth noting that the we're only talking about self-enhancement; whether people actually consider this ideal picture of themselves attractive is another question. Double-standards for beauty seem fairly common.

Also, the morph wasn't huge; the median was 10% more attractive and a significant portion of people fell to perceiving themselves as 10-20% less attractive than reality and a significant number of participants had the accurate assessment, so while it's a trend it's not hugely so and just because a study says so doesn't mean it applies to any person in specific.

Basically, we know that university undergraduates from Chicago perceive themselves as slightly more attractive than reality on average.

Spiryt
2012-07-30, 02:30 PM
They say you're beautiful
And they'll will always let you in
But doors are never open
For a child without a trace sin
Sail away

Grue Bait
2012-07-30, 02:37 PM
What I'm wondering is how they did a study on attractiveness. Isn't beauty subjective, and therefore impossible to do something like this on, at least accurately?

Eldariel
2012-07-30, 02:59 PM
What I'm wondering is how they did a study on attractiveness. Isn't beauty subjective, and therefore impossible to do something like this on, at least accurately?

The study is linked in Rawhide's first post in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13639831&postcount=17). You can read up on it; that's how I found out the methodology, participants, the spread of results and so on.

Basically tho, they took pictures of peoples' faces and the showed them versions where some characteristics commonly found attractive (subjective as it may be, certain facial structure is one vast majority of people find attractive) were either enhanced or reduced and then people were shown the pictures and they were to say which one is the actual picture of their face.

Aedilred
2012-07-30, 03:02 PM
I've also read that mirrors make you look more attractive... somehow, because you're seeing your face the wrong way round. For anybody who doesn't mind a bit of a shock about their appearance, see if you can find a "true mirror" (an arrangement of mirrors set up so you see your face as others do). I was quite taken aback when I saw it.

That aside, although I know I'm not going to win any beauty contests I don't think my facial features per se are particularly unattractive for the most part. I just consider myself to look pretty normal. Unfortunately I do have a tendency to fixate on certain issues, like that I'm losing my hair, and that affects my overall impression of myself.

Eldariel
2012-07-30, 03:04 PM
I've also read that mirrors make you look more attractive... somehow, because you're seeing your face the wrong way round. For anybody who doesn't mind a bit of a shock about their appearance, see if you can find a "true mirror" (an arrangement of mirrors set up so you see your face as others do). I was quite taken aback when I saw it.

Don't photographs work for that? I find that's why most people so like to say "I'm not photographical"; because the photographs don't match the view they see in a mirror as they're cruel and...well, real. Much like audio recordings of us speaking.

Sholos
2012-07-30, 03:17 PM

Alternatively (and much more convenient) turn on your webcam if you have one and you'll probably get a similar experience. If it shows you what it's seeing, anyways.

Aedilred
2012-07-30, 03:45 PM
Photographs aren't really the same, because you can't see your face move in real time. I think it's quite easy to write off a photo as non-representative, because it only captures a moment, where it's difficult to argue with a mirror. There's a bit of a difference, though not so much, between hearing a tape of your voice played back and hearing it live if you're speaking into a microphone. Of course, it's not all that difficult to adjust your voice temporarily to fit how you think it "should" sound, but it's quite difficult to change your face.

I guess you could look at a webcam or set up a digital camera, although for some reason I found the true mirror much more startling than any previous image of my face I'd seen (including webcams and so forth). I think people tend to respond physically to their mirror reflection in certain subtle ways that a camera might not show quite so well. Just things like the angle at which you hold your head, too, you might not see on a webcam or the like.

Gensh
2012-07-30, 04:08 PM
Well, I'm gorgeous. Unfortunately, it's an older sort of masculine attractiveness like Patrick Stewart or Christopher Lee, which doesn't appeal to the women in my age range. Very popular with men and middle-aged women, though.

Unfortunately, my looks are hampered somewhat by my basic chassis, though. I'm terribly thin and have a depressed sternum. I intend to try to get into shape and build a bit of chest muscle to compensate when I'm away from home - and from junk food - this coming fall.

And then once I'm fit, I can finally do a Malfeas cosplay!

Temotei
2012-07-30, 05:10 PM
You're beautiful. I know it. :smallwink:

:smallbiggrin:

I've never noticed a difference between photographs and mirrors, for the record, and that study has been done in other places by other people, I'm pretty sure. I remember talking about it in a psych class.

Fiery Diamond
2012-07-30, 06:13 PM
With how many people have body image issues, this can't be the whole story. Or it might be subconscious but we might yet overwrite/ignore it all consciously. I mean, desperately seeking outside confirmation that one is not hideous (even in cases where the person in question is extremely beautiful/handsome) is basically an epidemic for teens and young adults in particular, from what I've seen in all the schools and colleges I've worked at.

If you read the whole thing (interesting study, my good mod, thanks for linking it) you'll see that the part I put in bold is basically what the researchers think about the disparity as well.

Rawhide
2012-07-30, 06:15 PM
I should also note that it is not the only study to conclude that we do see ourselves as more attractive. Look around for the others (though most seem to require purchase of the article from the journal).

bluewind95
2012-07-30, 07:14 PM

... Considering I am literally nauseated by my looks and I utterly loathe them to the point where I have taken away any and all pictures of me from my room, flee cameras and actively avoid looking at my reflection and really would rather look at my cats' litterbox than at my own image... the mere thought that even such poor opinion of my looks could potentially be *overestimating* my own attractiveness... it makes me really sad.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-30, 07:52 PM
... Considering I am literally nauseated by my looks and I utterly loathe them to the point where I have taken away any and all pictures of me from my room, flee cameras and actively avoid looking at my reflection and really would rather look at my cats' litterbox than at my own image... the mere thought that even such poor opinion of my looks could potentially be *overestimating* my own attractiveness... it makes me really sad.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You are almost certainly underestimating your attractiveness.

Ceric
2012-07-31, 12:12 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. You are underestimating your attractiveness.

Fixed for you :smallsmile:

Reading through the abstract and introduction of that study, I'm curious if there's a correlation between how attractive a person thinks they are when asked and what image of themselves they choose in the study.

Logic
2012-07-31, 12:50 AM
Some days, I wonder why I was not the most desired nerd among my peers, others days I can't stand my appearance. I don't like to be photographed, and don't like the sound of my own voice (when I hear recordings of it.)

Eldariel
2012-07-31, 03:33 AM
If you read the whole thing (interesting study, my good mod, thanks for linking it) you'll see that the part I put in bold is basically what the researchers think about the disparity as well.

Mmhm, I am aware; however, I think there might be more to the story than that. But yes, that seems like the simplest, logical explanation.

Mauve Shirt
2012-08-02, 05:47 AM
Some days, I wonder why I was not the most desired nerd among my peers, others days I can't stand my appearance. I don't like to be photographed, and don't like the sound of my own voice (when I hear recordings of it.)

No one likes the sound of their own voice. It doesn't sound like you, because your voice echoes differently in your head. When I hear myself recorded it sounds to me like I have a perpetually stuffed nose.

I weigh more than I've weighed in a long time. I really really really need to get in control of myself. I'm pretty sure I look like Henry VIII.

The Succubus
2012-08-02, 05:48 AM
Right now, I feel so terrible about myself I can't even bring myself to look in a mirror. I'm not having a good week.

Asta Kask
2012-08-02, 06:02 AM
You can't go from "most people overestimate their beauty" to "I overestimate my beauty". That's just not valid logic.

thubby
2012-08-02, 06:59 AM
i make no effort to uphold my appearance. so i bounce from "girls pay attention" to "druggy" to "lumberjack"

HellfireLover
2012-08-02, 07:36 AM
I'm always (now) a bit leery of treating beauty as an absolute thing which can be measured. Of course it's subjective, despite 'experts' saying it's all to do with symmetry and ratios, or whatever. (Sometimes -gasp! - maths and science don't have all the answers.) Some people are beautiful in the way they move, or smile, a certain look in the eye, their kindness. Things a photo won't ever hope to capture.

I've found that the kinder and more forgiving you are towards others, the more favourably you treat yourself by comparison. Maybe the people 'overestimating' their own attractiveness are just kind souls.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 08:35 PM

Hm. From head to toe:

My skull looks like Stewie Griffins turned on it's side, or straight up Roger.
My Forehead is big enough to be ad space.
I still have incredibly chubby cheeks.
My lips are large enough to have their own gravitational pull.
My face in general looks like someone covered me in salt and pepper for the acne and blackheads.
I have a 6x chin when I look down.
I have man boobs.
I look pregnant (though I've lost some weight in this region, so it isn't as bad).
I have love-handles.
My butt is bulbous.
I have hartman-hips.
And my feet are too big, as are my hands.

This is what I see with my natural vision. Either I have some odd interests, or the definition of Beautiful most certainly varies from person to person. I work hard every day to fix this body into a halfway decent form.

Das Platyvark
2012-08-02, 10:27 PM
I always find that when I look in a mirror I'm not especially attractive, at least on closer examination, but then I think about people I know who share the same flaws, and look just fine, and realize I'm just being hard on myself.

Temotei
2012-08-03, 02:17 AM
No one likes the sound of their own voice.

Objection! I rather enjoy my voice, though I hate hearing it when over Skype since I'm hearing it twice and differently the second time. Otherwise, I'm good with it.

Rawhide
2012-08-03, 02:35 AM
Objection! I rather enjoy my voice, though I hate hearing it when over Skype since I'm hearing it twice and differently the second time. Otherwise, I'm good with it.

Overruled. This is exactly what Mauve was talking about. The sound of your voice when played back to you.

Temotei
2012-08-03, 02:36 AM
Overruled. This is exactly what Mauve was talking about. The sound of your voice when played back to you.

I enjoy it then, though. Just not when I'm talking and I keep hearing it a half second later so I'm talking over myself. It's really weird.

Eldariel
2012-08-03, 06:49 AM

I understand his complaint is "I dislike echoing on Skype calls" (which ranks up as one of the Top 10 forms of Torture in Hell), rather than "I dislike hearing my own voice specifically". I don't actually mind my own voice either though it took me a while to get used to it. But I've come to the conclusion my voice is quite pleasant in the end, at least as long as I don't speak too fast to be understandable.

EDIT: Apparently I got ninja'd by 5 hours :smallconfused:

TechnOkami
2012-08-03, 06:52 AM
Ugly and proud of it. :smallbiggrin:

Xondoure
2012-08-03, 01:57 PM

Well there are several things to note here. 1) Anyone who wears make up is more likely to recognize a slightly more attractive version of their face over the real one because that's what they actually appear like for a good portion of the day. 2) they took out jaw structure, hairline, and ears all in an effort to focus on the objective face. The problem with that is all those devices frame our face and can dramatically alter our perception of that picture (hence why they removed it.) I think it's fair to say we all look more attractive when we're not egg heads. 3) A deadpan neutral face like that is not the most attractive one, nor is it one we're necessarily accustomed to seeing. 4) As has been mentioned this is a bunch of college students who on average probably have more self esteem than people in other brackets.

Or in other words, while I don't doubt that their hypothesis has some measure of truth to it that particular test is garbage. What's more it in no means undermines the position of those who are trapped with low self esteem even if it were 100% accurate.

Othesemo
2012-08-03, 05:13 PM
I don't care. It's everyone else's opinion of my appearance that matters. They don't seem to complain, so eh.

PlusSixPelican
2012-08-03, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty! xD

I kind of hate it though. Not even in that sour grapes "So Beautiful It's a Curse." BS, I just...dunno, I dun FEEL pretty, but apparently am. It's weird.

grimbold
2012-08-03, 05:30 PM
YES
speaking as someone who has issues with acne i can very easily lose a good body image

PersonMan
2012-08-03, 05:31 PM
I've noticed that, in general, you can get a better look at minor imperfections of yourself than others. Just because, normally if you're talking to someone, they won't sit/stand really still and let you just stare at them, which you can do in front of a mirror.

For example, my eyes are slightly mismatched in size - something that I only notice if I look at an image of my face of a large enough size for enough time. I doubt many other people have noticed it - you really need to just sort of stare at my eyes for a couple seconds to see it.

Generally my reaction to seeing myself in the mirror varies from 'people say I'm cute, but I'm not seein' it' to 'hey, no wonder I think that, I'm slouching really badly' to 'wow, I look good!' to 'this mirror is too steamed up to really see anything'.

A comment I get often on photos of me is that one can look right up my nose, which is because I prefer a specific pose and the people taking the picture are generally short than me.

EDIT: Speaking of voices, I think listening to my own is pretty cool because it lets me know how other people hear me all the time, rather than getting the distorted version I normally hear. I like it.

Temotei
2012-08-03, 09:43 PM
EDIT: Apparently I got ninja'd by 5 hours :smallconfused:

I've done better. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2012-08-04, 01:24 PM
I think I'm a cutie, so no. :smalltongue: I think I could be better but I'm pretty comfortable right now.

Eldariel
2012-08-05, 02:07 PM
I've done better. :smalltongue:

We should arrange Olympics in Getting Ninja'd! Now we just need some ninjas...

Jallorn
2012-08-05, 02:23 PM
This may sound sappy or made up or whatever, but I've honestly never met anyone that I considered ugly. There's people who I don't find attractive, and there's a small group of physical deformities that I find offputting (cleft lips, for example).

Maybe that's unfair of me to say I don't see people as ugly, and I should instead say that as long as people look relatively normal and don't have any obvious physical deformities, I don't find them ugly.

As for personal beauty, well, I can look in a mirror and say, "I'm pudgier than I'd like to be, I wish I was in better shape," or, "My acne's getting bad, I really need to shower more and change my sheets more frequently," but I don't see that as ugly, just not perfect. Am I making a distinction where there isn't one?

Faulty
2012-08-06, 11:21 AM
Am I making a distinction where there isn't one?

No, it seems like you have a really healthy view of yourself and others. :smallsmile:

HalfTangible
2012-08-06, 11:29 AM
If I look in the mirror long enough, I start to see someone else in the mirror. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the reflection instead of whatever is looking into the glass... or if the distinction between us is too fine to matter...

But I find whatever it is average-looking. Not horrifically ugly but not particularly attractive either.

Asta Kask
2012-08-06, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty! xD

I kind of hate it though. Not even in that sour grapes "So Beautiful It's a Curse." BS, I just...dunno, I dun FEEL pretty, but apparently am. It's weird.

I think we may need photographic evidence.

The Succubus
2012-08-06, 01:34 PM
I think we may need photographic evidence.

Indeed. It's the only way we can make an objective assessment. Yesh. =3